bee4u
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Scruffs: Return of the Duke

[Post New]by bee4u on Feb 23, 12 9:12 AM
Had a chance to BETA this and have been waiting ever since. Bought it right away.

[Post New]by Shitzadorina on Feb 23, 12 9:56 AM
I've enjoyed this game immensely (until I got stuck with the polishing cloth issue, which is sad), and I greatly enjoy it as well. I've played a lot of different HO games by now, from really good to plain awful. I wasn't too thrilled at first of the contrast between very cartoonish and realistic, but I find the HO scenes challenging yet fun, and I love the story. I haven't been thrilled with the hint button, but after a while I got quite used to all the barks.

It's sad this game has such a major glitch, because it's a great amount of fun, and definitely one of the better HO games I've played, in terms of storyline. It can feel a bit repetitive, since each chapter is very similar to each other, but so far it has not felt boring, and I love the use of ridiculous and amusing characters.

esthers2
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by esthers2 on Feb 24, 12 7:26 AM
thrilled when i saw it was here finally called my grandson because he loved to play it too new one is even better im gifting him the scruffs so we can play together again

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 24, 12 12:24 PM
I own and have enjoyed the other Scruffs games and so I purchased this one. I was enjoying it very much until I got to the Stick Shift game. I have a handicap that makes this game impossible for me to solve. My hands hurt and are not steady enough to do this puzzle. There is NO Skip for any of the games. Sadly my game ends here and I cannot complete it. it is too bad there is either no Skip or no warning that the game cannot be played by some persons with handicaps. I want very much to finish the game. I feel cheated.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Feb 24, 12 1:04 PM
I loved the first Scruffs game and still play quite regularly. I was disappointed in the length of this one, but after reading the reviews, they're right, it wasn't that short - I guess I was just enjoying myself! Love the characters, the silliness, and though it at times seems very easy, at others the puzzles are really tough. Good job! I'm sure I'll play it again next year!

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Feb 25, 12 3:17 AM
molto molto divertente...carino facile e allegro,avevo già giocato la demo del primo della serie,penso che andrò a rivederlo per l'acquisto. questo l'ho acquistato e mi è veramente piaciuto....l'idea della guida integrata è vincente...consigliato

Not For Me

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 27, 12 6:30 AM
I didn't like the little I played of this game at all. I agree with gamergirl and tazdaffy. The voiceovers were good at first, but then they dragged on and on. The bottom line is that it's basically one HOS after another, with a few puzzles thrown in. Since I hate HOS, this game was not my cup of tea. This game is probably more suited to beginning-type gamers. Also, I found the hint system with the dog, incredibly annoying. haha

Not for me and I give it 2 thumbs down, based on the short time I played it.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Feb 27, 12 4:56 PM
This is a very cute game but I got more then half way before my demo ran out would of bought it if it was a little bit more to it not worth buying just to see 4 more chapters

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Feb 28, 12 8:50 AM
The first Scruffs game and this game were both different and cute. Both in a cartoon format, you had to finish chapters consisting of several screens with HO's , mini games and hidden clues . This one had a sleeping dog that woke up to help give you hints by barking and using signs (which I thought were funny) . I enjoyed myself playing the demo. Don't know if I would buy, but I would rate this game a 7 out of 10.

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on Mar 2, 12 8:25 AM
this game is great more suited to kids than adults dialogue is fun and will keep kids going as will the look game play is pitched just right for kids

tapioca
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by tapioca on Mar 6, 12 9:23 PM
I loved the first one, so did my grandsons, but this second version, was a dissapointment, We missed finding the bones, for the dog, and the ingame short puzzles were frustrating, and there were glitches in them, I enjoy ingame puzzles, in the Nancy Drew series, some of these were repeats of that type of puzzle but the game pieces were sticky ,, and slid back to there original positions ,, really annoying,
should have stuck to old format, and kept it like the original , it was nice to have a hidden game for young ones but this one was too difficult for young ones and too simple for older .. stick to one format or the other .. please ..

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Mar 7, 12 10:38 AM
I really liked this game, but I thought it was way to short, I really didnt see in any of the post that anyone thought it was a short game. Other than that it was a fun game to play

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Mar 8, 12 6:25 PM
I just finished the game (had no glitches with the polishing cloth) and am so glad I bought it. I usually played one chapter at a time rather than just playing straight through so I thought it was plenty long, felt I got my money's worth.

I loved the silly characters, the voiceovers, the humor, pretty much everything about it. The HOS were well done with objects cleverly hidden. I liked the unusual hint system with the barking dog, also liked when he'd tell me to check another area so I wasn't searching around for something that wasn't there.

Some people seemed to feel this game was especially geared to kids, but I guess that just makes me a big kid because I enjoyed it. I play to have fun, and I'm not always looking for some big intellectual challenge. There are plenty of games are there that are really challenging (and sometimes not much fun) so I found this refreshing and entertaining.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Mar 11, 12 5:46 PM
I played The Scruffs and I am playing this one now. I hope the dev creates more. This is a good concept. The graphics, sounds and voice over is on target. I enjoyed the puzzles which works my memory skills. I am one who does not like to skip puzzles no matter how long it takes. The SG is very good and stays where ever you last left it which is a plus. This game could be a CE. I give this game 5

Edited on 03/11/2012 at 6:25:34 PM PST

[Post New]by sonjandon on Mar 15, 12 2:31 PM
GREAT FUN!!! The perfect game to play on a dark, rainey day. Enjoyed every minute of it. Funny characters, bright screens, no problems. Gonna go play it again. When does the next on come out?

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Mar 23, 12 11:58 AM
Well I just LOVE the Scruffs ...can't get enough of this wacky, fun and very entertaining game!!

I own the first one as well, and will keep buying them, the humor and light hearted game play, is such a refreshing change, for a H0 game, I could just keep playing this, that is how much I ENJOY every minute of it .
I had NO glitches of any kind, the game play flows perfectly, IMHO and the characters are so well done, along with EXCELLENT voice overs, that add so much to this gem.
I was just totally entertained, from beginning to end, and didn't want it to end, and I personally feel, it was a decent length, SO worth every cent paid !
I also like using the dog, for a hint, very original and not annoying at all, at least not for me, anyway.
I loved how each chapter was different, and how you got a scroll, to find the H0 in each scene, than there were puzzles to figure out, and items to collect, to complete each chapter.
The artwork was FANTASTIC throughout the entire game, and the way the puzzles were done, made this a special game, for me, LOVED IT
Its one of those original games, that I know without a doubt, that I am going to LOVE, so I give it 5 's..have played it a couple of times already, and it will be one of those, that I replay often.
GREAT work developers, you all are AWESOME in my book and know how to make a very well rounded, game in all aspects, job well done .
I will be trying my best, to patiently wait, for the next installment, in this series, PLEASE hurry , will be a definite buy, since I've never been let down yet !

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 28, 12 9:09 AM
this game is like a cartoon with HOS. it is a fun game and is the second "scruff" game. it is a buy for us.-------doug & lisa

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 7, 12 11:38 PM
(Based on the demo): When I saw the drawings and heard the music all I could think of was "Oh no, I'm going to hate this game!" I was wrong. It's funny, I love the voices, the characters, the story.

I love the dog, Scruffy! I like the HINT idea where instead of a circle appearing around whatever item to be found, the dog becomes more excited as one gets nearer to the object - the player still needs to find it (reminiscent of the thermometer in another game).

This is definitely on my "To Buy" List. If I had a credit I would buy it right now.

I love creepy stories - sanitariums, evil scientists, ghosts...but I also like a game like this once in awhile.

It made me laugh and that is always good.

I will also check out the first game in the series and probably play that one first.

I give it four out of five kitties:

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Apr 10, 13 9:54 PM
I was surprised to really like this game. It was a lot of fun to play in that it wasn't a dark, haunted mansion/hospital/school. I thought the characters' lines were very funny and enjoyed reading about the individual people who had the duke's relics, as they were funny and entertaining too. I usually pay no attention to story as many of them just fail to grab me. I started it again but didn't finish it right away. I feel like I can just pick it up and play it (per chapter) anytime I'm looking for something light, bright and fun.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 24, 13 2:14 PM
Review based upon completion of the game.

When we left the Scruffs, which felt like eons ago, they found out that they are royalty and were on the way to the Duchy Scrafford. Arriving there, they found out that the Duke has a problem: If there is no rightful heir within 30 years and a day, the throne will go to somebody else. You have three guesses how much time has passed... Your goal: Find the 10 regalia needed to prove that the Duke is a rightful heir, within a day. But who is that hooded figure trying to sabotage you?

The Good:

+ consistent artwork through the whole game
+ FUNNY! easily the funniest game that I've played in a while
+ hooded figure mishaps!
+ voice-overs spot on!
+ Scruffy the dog as hint system (becomes more and more excited the closer you get to the item until he gives you the thumbs up)
+ game comes with a strategy guide and some bonus artwork

The Neutral:

o basically it's always the same: Find 8-12 items, solve up to 3 HO scenes, then use your inventory items, repeat 9 times
o game too easy in general

The Bad:

- game is rather short
- Scruffy does not always help (especially if an item is in a location that you've missed)

Bottom Line: If you are into lighthearted, funny games, you can't get much better than this one!

Go to: