Kelili
Clownfish
Clownfish
580 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fantastic Creations: House of Brass Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Kelili on Feb 27, 12 5:22 AM
I love this game!
I love the Steampunk theme, the melodramatic voiceovers, the find 12 of this or that in the hidden object scenes and most of the mini games.
I really liked the elevator and since there are only 2 to 5 rooms per floor I didn't wear out my sneakers.
It took me about 3.5 hours to play the main game (I skipped some mini games) and about 1.5 hours to finish the bonus game. This may be short for a CE but I enjoyed the game so much that this time quality wins over quantity.

A big and from me.

Great job Devs and thanks BF

je_peche
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by je_peche on Feb 27, 12 6:09 AM
little question marks constantly floating up from the journal is really REALLY irritating.

Also, entirely too many mini games with a long skip wait. I really don't understand the purpose of making you wait if you want to skip the game.

I'm only about 1/2 way into the game, but regretting the purchase due to too many mini games and too few HOS. The HOS are great, though - a little bit of a twist there which is nice.

The game itself is beautifully made. Have turned sound off because I didn't like the voice overs or music.

--Pam

Edited on 02/27/2012 at 7:58:52 AM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Feb 27, 12 12:14 PM
This is a very unusal game and I found it interesting. But, as has been said, not exactly up to the CE's standards we all know and love. Still, I'm on the fence about buying it. I really like the different style of HO's, finding different shapes or numbers. As long as it's not adding or subtracting or anything that involves math. LOL.
Personally I enjoy the macabre, doom and gloom, haunted houses and spooky themes. But it is nice to have a change now and again, and this is difinitely a change. Widescreen is not a must, nor is authetic accents. If the game is fun and enjoyable, and I can afford it, I'll get the CE. If not, I'll wait for the SE.

Good game all around, just hard enough to make it interesting.

Happy Monday to all!

OKC gem

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Feb 27, 12 2:24 PM
I am a true HOG/IHOG fan. But this one is definitely NOT my cup of tea!!

MABJBMB
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by MABJBMB on Feb 27, 12 6:57 PM
Others do a great job of reviewing other features involved in playing the games so I don't even try to describe anything other than my own enjoyment-or not.

What a wonderful, imaginative, fun game this is! I bought it after the hour demo. I usually don't buy CE because of finances, but I couldn't resist. I love HO but have been getting bored. I love the "find 12 of the same" HO in this one. I've also chuckled to myself several times at some very clever twists in puzzles and objectives. Can't say I mind the voices or the music even though some seem very irritated with them.
Graphics are crisp and colorful. Story has me hooked.

I'll try to review again after I'm finished but, at least for now, it looks like a game without ghosts,tortured children, blood, curses, witches, or sorcery. In other words, not depressing.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Feb 28, 12 2:21 PM
My thought have been expressed concerning this game by so many others, suffice it to say I cannot see CE value and I won't be buying.

From what I saw there is no hidden expanse of game, that, when you get through the mundane, it blossoms into a mind blowing CE worthy extravaganza.

Seem CE's are just released with less and less value.

culady
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by culady on Feb 28, 12 6:55 PM
This is a "fantastic creation". I loved every minute of it. I have hundreds of games and I can't think of another except Syberia (imagine that: Syberia is out again) that I have enjoyed so much. So many downers by fishies. I want more by these devs.

[Post New]by dababydemon on Feb 28, 12 9:39 PM
This was a beautiful game, well laid out and the story was wonderful. I loved just about everything on this game except I finished it in about two hours....Maybe I am just getting too good or maybe this was just too easy. I am not sure, but anyway I think it was not worth buying for the CE except for the bonus game, I didnt use the strategy guide at all because I had no trouble with the game. Some of the skips on the minigames took entirely too long but I only skipped one game so that wasnt a huge deal....

Great job just make it a bit harder -w-

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Feb 28, 12 10:14 PM
My partner and I have a ritual for playing trials. We snuggy up and play them together that way we get two pairs of eyes to look for things and get further into the game, we get stuck less often with two brains working together and the snuggying makes it all very special.

We always play with the sound off. We did not find that this inhibited our enjoyment of the game at all. WE think that it is nice that BF puts in the dialogue so deaf people can enjoy games too and this one was no exception despite the warning at the front of the game. So just ignore it and try it out.

We both enjoyed the game. The pictures are clear and we liked the change of looking for things that rotate for eg as opposed to the hidden obj list or the list of pictures or even parts of pictures that one has to find in order to put something together. (those are my second to least favorites worsted only by the ones that one has no idea what one is looking for as was in Atlantic Journey Lost Brother that was the worst par none)

We also liked that it was fairly sensible. One could figure out what was to happen next because it was logical. We like that as opposed to those that have one looking for things to do because there is no reason except getting one to search and look.

The mini games were not easy and we tried them until the skip button freed us to further look into the game. We are looking forward to solving them when we buy it.
We want to buy it as a SE and not a CE because although pleasantly logical, it was not clever. It was beautiful and the firefly, well we want one. We fear it is not a large game because of the number of bytes and because it limited us in how much of a trial we were able to get through.

We liked the hidden obj parts but we also like them to have more interactive stuff like when one has to paint an elephant red by finding a brush and some paint after finding the elephant that is not red in order to fulfill the command to find the red elephant. This game did not have that level of interaction and we expect that in a CE.

We like the different bat or compass searches because it keeps the mind flexible. Hourglasses are somehow magical remember the one in The Wizard of Oz?

We liked that it was not ugly or gruesome, the world seems to promote too much of that and this is play time for us. So this is definitely on our buy list looking for it to come out as a SE.

Lilly214
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly214 on Feb 29, 12 10:11 AM
I wasn't impressed. For me there were way too many mini-games, and skip key took forever. Probably won't replay this one.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Feb 29, 12 4:13 PM
Didn't last 5 minutes. Slow curser, screen freezes if you click too much and boring boring boring.

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Mar 1, 12 8:57 PM
I found the game delightful. Sharp graphics, atmospheric music, and a steampunk theme that wasn't overdone. Limited and nicely executed voice acting. A plot that wasn't over-complicated and hung together nicely.

Loved the difference in the H0 scenes - "find cylindrical objects" and the like were a refreshing change from the usual mix. The puzzles were stuff we've seen before, mostly pipe-fitting and rotation puzzles. If you like those you'll love the game. I do like those.

Developers, you should be proud of this one. Slow the credits down a little, won't you please? I had to run them twice to see that Clean Cuts did the audio (the quality showed it) and to familiarize myself with names I hope to see again. Thanks for the fun!

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Mar 3, 12 12:04 PM
This review is for the full CE game, especially the "extras" that are unlocked once the standard version is finished:

Story/Theme: A blend of fantasy and steam punk, a man has built a windowless house of brass, over a century old... you arrive there and find the place is breaking down and you need to repair it to "rescue" him. Of course, there are twists and turns in the story.

Play: This is more of an adventure game than a H.O.G.. There are very few hidden object scenes and they are not the typical kind with a list of random objects that you have to find and check off. You're given a type of object to find and then you search for it. Personally, I like this kind of hos much much better than the usual kind. I hate those "junk pile" type of hidden object searches and House of Brass has none of those.

Minigames: There are a lot of minigames, and several do repeat, getting harder with each encounter. Yes, there's mostly the standard puzzles you've seen in a lot of other puzzle/HOG/adventure games. But I can say that these are very solidly made minigames. Controls are tight and they start out easy but get more complicated as you progress.

There are also several nonstandard minigames that you probably have never seen before including an astronomy based puzzle that's very neat!

Quality: Graphics are well done! A palate of pleasant warm tones, such a nice change especially if you're tired of gloomy dark tales. Very interesting scenes... Voices are clear, but I'm not a fan of voice overs. I like reading instead. You can turn off voices and read, or you can listen...that's a nice choice. I found the music kind of ordinary, nothing special.

I almost never had to wait for a scene to load but I'm on a newer computer (Windows 7). I think maybe an hourglass popped up with I first started the game...that's it. But considering the game is about a house from the 1880s, I think an hourglass is appropriate...they were used quite often back then despite having clocks.

My review of the bonus content is in next message.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 12:28:24 PM PST

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Mar 3, 12 12:20 PM

Review of HoB's Collector's Edition Bonus Content
In addition to a helpful, yet rather ordinary, built-in strategy guide, the collector's edition has four extras that are unlocked after you finish the game.

*Prologue* In my opinion, the prologue's story is even better than the main game. You play from the perspective of Gwendolyn, the inventor's wife and you get to see parts of the house not available in the main game. Even better, instead of seeing the house partially ruined, it's being built up and there are so really nice visuals.

I had more empathy for Gwen as a protagonist than in the first part. She's this young, somewhat naive wife with an eccentric husband. Making her way through this overly elaborate house takes some ingenuity, to get around her absent-minded husbands "handiwork." This prologues answers questions from the first part of the game, making playing this part a richer, more compelling experience.

There are some repeated puzzle-types in the prologue but again the focus is on adventuring and puzzles more than hidden object searches, although there's several of those, too.

The prologue alone makes the CE "worth it" but then that's usually why I like CEs... I don't pay attention to how long a game is (just as length of movie doesn't determine whether I go to the cinemas), I just like having the WHOLE game and not miss out on any of it, especially when it's a more unique game like this one.

*Mini Games Replay*
I love this extra feature! If you skipped a minigame and now want to play it or if you just like them a lot, you can play any minigame over again via the "Extras" section of the Collector's Edition. Very cool! Adds replay value and I never saw this feature in a game before. Otherworld: Spring of Shadows and Drawn let you go back to replay a whole chapter, but this is the first time I saw minigames isolated so you can pick and choose which to do.

*Artwork* and *Music Files* These two are nice extras, also. There's a large selection of high quality artwork that you can use as desktop pictures. Almost every image, including hidden object scenes and many of the puzzles, is available... you have to finish the prologue to get the prologue art.

You can also access all the songs. I didn't care for having the music on during the game, but I do like being able to play my favorite songs from the game as relaxing background music.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 12:41:41 PM PST

Academy Award Caliber Voice Overs

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Mar 3, 12 9:12 PM
This review is based on the entire game. First, I think the voice over of the inventor was of an academy award winning caliber. haha I absolutely loved it. Probably, the best voice over in any game that I have ever played here. Utterly fantastic!

I thought the game was great. Some people said the cursor was slow, the game froze, etc. I had none of those problems. The game played perfectly for me. I don't like HOS, but what made this game so good for me was that the HOS were okay. There were no junkplies and you always had to find exactly 12 of the same type of item. For instance, find 12 things made of gold or made of paper or find 12 body parts. The hint meter recharged quickly. So the HOS were pretty easy and there weren't that many of them.

The Adventure aspects of the game were great. Very interesting and creative premise and not too much going back and forth (although there is some at certain points in the game.) There are many mini-games and for the most part, I liked them. There are 4 chapters and a Bonus chapter. You take an elevator to 4 floors of a house. You start on the bottom and have to find 2 pieces of the elevator button for the next floor in order to go there. There is one chapter for each floor and the Bonus is an Epilogue, that explains what happened before the main game.

The interface was great and so were the sound effects and graphics. The music was nothing special and didn't play throughout the game.

What I didn't like about the game was that some of the mini-games had 3 or 4 levels you had to complete before you could move on. And you could only skip one level at a time. You couldn't skip the whole mini-game, if you were having trouble with it. Plus, the skip meter took a long time to recharge. Also, the Bonus chapter was very short, The main game took me 7 hours to complete and the Bonus took 40 minutes, for a total of 7 hours and 40 minutes of gameplay.

I recommend this game and give it 2 thumbs up . I rate this game a 9.5 out of 10.

Edited on 03/04/2012 at 3:28:16 AM PST

lidaviola
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by lidaviola on Mar 4, 12 1:24 PM
Well I am dissappointed and feel like I wasted 2 credits for nothing. Readall your great reviews thought it was a good buy. Nope, took several hours and I finished it all with the extras. Too easy if you ask me not worth 2 credits. Should have stuck with my gut instinct and not got it. Usually when I listen to your reviews you are right this time I felt you were wrong.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Mar 5, 12 10:49 AM
I agree with most reviewers that this does not live up to whatever criteria players use to warrant the coveted "CE" double price.

I will wait till the mundane "SE" comes out.

Brings up a good question though; are there really any CE criteria, or is it purely a marketing decision of how to maximize profit by calling it a Collector's Edition and doubling the price?

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Mar 6, 12 1:35 AM
Bink_In_AK wrote:I agree with most reviewers that this does not live up to whatever criteria players use to warrant the coveted "CE" double price.

I will wait till the mundane "SE" comes out.

Brings up a good question though; are there really any CE criteria, or is it purely a marketing decision of how to maximize profit by calling it a Collector's Edition and doubling the price?

It sounds like a good discussion... is there a thread going for that already?

My opinion? I like the extra chapter and don't mind paying double to:
a) get the extra piece of the story
b) get to play a month sooner

To me it's like the choice to see a full-length movie in the theaters or wait for an abridged version to come out on a network channel. I don't like waiting and, even if it's deemed "extra," I wouldn't want to miss viewing a portion of the film. If I like the story and the visuals (as I do with House of Brass) then it's always worth it for me. Besides, if you buy two C.E.s a month, you get a third game free, so you're not quite paying twice as much. I know for some $14 is a lot of money, but in terms of entertainment costs, it's virtually nothing. I barely have time to play 1 game a month, let alone 3.

Edited on 03/06/2012 at 1:36:46 AM PST

[Post New]by artisticsoul on Mar 6, 12 8:34 AM
The designers, creators and artists who created the house of brass did a fantastic job. I was delighted each time I saw a different room ... so cool. I wanted to live in that house ... of course not with the dysfunctional character relationships ... but the house was awesome ... . I found it fun to play the game just for the creativity alone. Awesome job. ... In my opinion, the name of the game "Fantastic Creations" is very appropriate. THANK YOU!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Mar 13, 12 8:26 PM
played the demo, found the concept refreshingly different...no real problem solving puzzles or finding the ho's.. i think the presentation was somewhat childish, not that it's a bad thing, tried to play the sound but it was too irritating...fake british accents, and the weirdo below shouting every time i accomplished a task was beyond annoying. would have preferred a choice of difficulty with this game...
think the dev's are on to a good thing here, just maybe need to smarten it up. too easy is ultimately boring for this fish.
will consider it down the road as a se, but not as a ce. just sayin....

Go to: