Syberia - Part 1

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

Re:Syberia - Part 1

[Post New]by prchalpn on Feb 28, 12 4:04 AM
hbgroadends wrote:Folks, just popping in to let you know that the link provided by Ms Freddie and mentioned by Cedo is still working as of 5:45am CST.

Still working as of 7:05 EST

Alrydian
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Alrydian on Feb 28, 12 4:05 AM
So sad! sorry for those people who haven't played this great game yet

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Feb 28, 12 5:08 AM
poppy85 wrote:
MsFreddie wrote:Try the link while it's still there marie

If it does still work it will get pulled soon.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/4665/syberia/index.html?src=frmgameimg&osdetect=true

It's been pulled!!!! I'm sooooooooo shocked! con merchants

I just tried it and it worked with a coupon code...the site just says "no demo available" but the "buy" button did work.

silver64
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by silver64 on Feb 28, 12 5:13 AM

Hi All,

I am speechless..... I am not a great poster but I do check the forums daily, they are always a valuable source of information and advice. In this instance the forum saved me a lot of money.
Syberia was always a game I wanted to play but I never got round to it ...... until now.
I was one of those who would have bought it today in the part 1 format but I came to the forum first and was shocked to read what is actually going on. I have been a BFG member for 8 years and was nearly conned and that really offends me.

The behaviour from BFG cannot be justified and I am ending my membership. I no longer find enough games to justify membership and bringing out an old game in 3 or is it 4 parts therefore charging 3 times more for a game that can still (12.30pm GMT) be bought for the price of a sinlge game, is ridiculous. I feel like someone tried to steal money from my purse while I wasnt looking

Really poor behaviour by BFG but a massive thank you to those of you who continue to post and keep us informed.

Carol

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Feb 28, 12 1:36 PM
It may be easier to download, but harder to play. Large file games are intended to be one experience. IH0Gs are highly linear, but some lfas are not - what will happen to those?

This is exactly why I refuse to buy bigger games from Big Fish. Their contracts with publishers may come to end abruptly and without warning, or get changed into something like this. Why anyone would buy Syberia in three parts, I have no idea... You can still buy it as a whole on other digital download sites. If those sites introduced large file adventures in parts, they'd just get laughed out. It looks more like a blatant money grab than anything else.

Edited on 02/28/2012 at 1:37:45 PM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Feb 29, 12 5:39 AM
Anuman Interactive made the decission to go for the mobile gaming market which means they are reprogramming games to make them playable at iphones/ipads and other phones/tablets. The game size needs to be considerably smaller for this devices, so from that point of view it is an understandable move.

However the mobile gaming market is NOT the pc gaming market. There is no reason to do the reprogramming of the game and chop it up into pieces for PC's other than to make more money.

That this chopped up versions come with a demo and they are easier to download will only appeal to (I assume) a very small number of people. It mostly sounds like a lame excuse to justify the chopping up.

BF is contract bound to release Anuman's games, so the deccission wasn't theirs.

But if there is any chance or room in the contract to withstand the practice of dividing LF games into little pieces for PC too, BF should do so.
I am not sure if they can or want to, ofcourse.

But it would be good if Anuman would come to see that the mobile gaming market and the pc market are totally different and that they can't and shouldn't be addressed the same way.

There is no justifyable reason why people who want to buy Syberia (a game that is a decade old) now have to pay 3 x 6,99, other than just plain money making A few days ago we could buy the whole game for 6,99!

If it is all about the money, I fear for the PC gaming market and the future of LF games here at BF.

BF, please don't allow this to continue if there is any way to prevent it.

llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

[Post New]by llstjohn on Feb 29, 12 5:49 AM
MsFreddie wrote: "Looking at the walk through the game is broken down into 4 not 3. Or is there Syberia number 3 coming out soon? " We have been hearing about a Syberia 3 for almost 2 years now. I check the developers site every once in a while and it is still promised but there always seems to be some point of dissention between the author of the game and the people who are going to make it happen. Would really like to see Syberia 3. Don't know how it would happen tho since at the end of 2 Hans rode off on a Mammoth and left Kate standing there crying. But there is the detective her employer sent to look for her. Maybe the 2 of them get involved in some adventure or other.

Just now went out to check on S3. According to an article in Wikipedia a 2014 release date is the target now.

Edited on 02/29/2012 at 5:53:48 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Feb 29, 12 6:04 AM
Catfish_girl wrote:BF is contract bound to release Anuman's games, so the decision wasn't theirs.
LizzieK wrote:We [Anuman Interactive] are delighted to be co-editing these adaptations with Big Fish Games, and we are convinced that it is the perfect partnership for targeting the general public

Edited on 02/29/2012 at 6:07:07 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Feb 29, 12 7:55 AM
t is rather complicated. Syberia was released by Microids, but Anuman Interactive bought Microids. So whatever contract BF had, they now have to answer to Anuman who is going big time for the mobile gaming market.
BF has to sell Anuman's games, they are contract bound to do so.

However, rumour has it (someone heard it from CS) that Syberia I (the original game) will still be sold, but not in plain sight. It has been pulled from catalogue, but it can be found AND purchased through the link in the game forum.

I have no idea if Anuman is allowing this or that BF found a loop hole. But Syberia I is still available and will be available (from what I understand)

circlelt
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by circlelt on Feb 29, 12 9:08 AM
I read on an adventure gaming review site just a few days ago an interview with Benoit Sokal. He strongly stated that he has moved on from Syberia. There will be no Syberia III at least with him as the creator.
Sokal is a comic book artist with a set of characters that he has been allotting his time to. He also has an animated flick in the works. He also said that he is working on a sequel to Sinking Island called Broadway.
I bought the original Syberia nearly 9 years ago and still have the boxed set of cds. What makes me laugh is I bought a Collector's Edition!

[Post New]by adelaidedoglet on Feb 29, 12 10:56 AM
What bothers me about this little fiasco is not so much the chopping up the game to be useable by a different audience, but the dishonesty of leaving reviews up that are only pertinent to the game as it was originally presented; not one word about the dissection.

Companies do what they do, they act to make as much money as possible and have the widest customer base. However, that does not necessarily entail outright deception, as in a review that has nothing to do with the actual product (think 50s cigarette commercials).

So, since this is just giving me headaches at this point, I will use my remaining credit up and cancel my membership. I've been doing far less reading of late anyway, and it's really a more productive use of my spare time.

[Post New]by h_griffi on Mar 3, 12 12:33 PM
just played part 1 and thought for 1 credit i was getting the whole version!!
can't find part 2 or 3...will i now have to use 2 more credits for complete this
when the whole version is available for 1 credit!!

gobaba
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by gobaba on Mar 6, 12 1:00 PM
Better go snap up other Anuman properties before they get edited with a chainsaw, like Post Mortem, Still Life, Still Life 2, Paradise, and Sinking Island.

I call BS to the file dl being too big. I've seen CEs that were over 1gb, and nobody wanted to make them 3 parts. Anuman is just being greedy. Pah!

If you see Syberia III, it'll prolly be a stupid ERS iHOG.

blackgsd
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by blackgsd on Mar 7, 12 12:20 PM
adelaidedoglet wrote:What bothers me about this little fiasco is not so much the chopping up the game to be useable by a different audience, but the dishonesty of leaving reviews up that are only pertinent to the game as it was originally presented; not one word about the dissection.

Absolutely. There are pages of glowing reviews for the original game that ought to come down immediately since most people are going to believe that's what they're getting, not this incredibly bad, hacked apart 'rework' of Syberia for platforms other than the PC. I pity the ones who buy even one part of this release and believe that this is Sokal's masterpiece. If it's their first adventure game, it will probably be their last.

Anuman has no shame. And Big Fish has to share their part of the blame. They could cancel their agreement with Anuman and should rather than participate in the ruin of classic adventure games. The siren call of the almighty dollar is just too loud, I guess.

[Post New]by LADYLUNA55 on Mar 24, 12 12:48 AM
Hi Fishies! I just got done playing Syberia 1 and was disappointed that it was such a short game. I thoroughly was enjoying this game. So I popped over to the forum to see what others thought. I was shocked to hear that no one was happy with several things with this game. 1. That the game had been chopped up into parts, something I wasn't made aware of until after I played part 1. 2. That people were being charged for each part of what was once a complete game in one piece, making this game quite expensive. 3.Anger directed at every one from the developers, to the distributors, with no confirmation as to who was responsible, therefore, no dialogue for the reason.

I'll admit to mbeing very inexperienced in not only the computer world as a whole, but to the gaming world too. Did I miss it? Why hasn't Big Fish Games jumped in and given some kind of explanation to their "fishies"? I came here because of poor service elsewhere, and I was reading several people here saying they were calling it quits! What happened to customer service? Is there someplace to go for answers?

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Mar 24, 12 1:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pop in to let you know more information can be found in regards to Syberia - Part 1 and Syberia in one of the threads stickied at the top of this Forum:

PLEASE READ - In regards to Syberia and Syberia - Part 1

There, you can also find a link to the game as a whole.

If you have any questions, please get in touch with our Customer Support Team. You can contact them by clicking on the green envelope on the right to get to our Help pages, and then click "Contact Us" to the right of the screen to submit a support ticket.

Or if you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 9:30am-4:30pm PST.

Hope this helps!

bfgRhone

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 24, 12 3:18 AM
LADYLUNA, all of the information you needed is in the Comments thread.

It is a trend. Path of the Dragon first, now Syberia then the rest of the Microids catalogue. It would appear that Anuman Interactive intends to make all of the Microids LFAs into iphone games then back-port the bits for pc.

This is nothing to do with BFG, apart from the contract to distribute with AI.

ETA Amerzone has been similarly treated since I posted this.

Edited on 03/24/2012 at 7:41:09 AM PST

[Post New]by LADYLUNA55 on Mar 25, 12 12:15 AM
Thank you for the information as to where I should have looked in the first place. I found this after I had already posted my comment.
I never played the original version as many of you have, so for me, this is a new game. The graphics, while great, reminded me of video games from years ago. The fact that this is actually an older game explains why, not that it bothered me.
As I said before, I'm new to the computer and computer game world, and I've already had problems in trying to download large games, so breaking the games down into manageable parts is okay with me. My only complaint is that I wasn't given this information up front, and it would seem to me, that the solution to everyones problem, would have had two versions available. One for those that can handle the large games, and one in parts, for those who can't. The down side for those that can't handle the large games, is that you have to pay for each part.
What I'm still not understanding, is if this is actually an older game, just broken up into "chapters", why isn't the third part coming out until next year?
My next question is after hearing all the complaints, I went back to where I first found the game, to follow up on something, and found the trial version I had finished playing earlier in the night. The trial version was no longer there, and I was under the impression you could choose to buy the complete game there, it was also stated that there were exciting scenes from part two as well. Now if you can buy the complete game, what is this part two abour?

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 27, 12 2:13 PM
What I'm still not understanding, is if this is actually an older game, just broken up into "chapters", why isn't the third part coming out until next year?
My next question is after hearing all the complaints, I went back to where I first found the game, to follow up on something, and found the trial version I had finished playing earlier in the night. The trial version was no longer there, and I was under the impression you could choose to buy the complete game there, it was also stated that there were exciting scenes from part two as well. Now if you can buy the complete game, what is this part two abour?
1) There is a whole catalogue of games to butcher. 2) Making the whole game available looks like a dispensation. It's no longer available for retail sale.

[Post New]by Gillian212Cats on Jan 27, 14 6:11 AM
Like you guys I fortunately bought Both 1&2 but I got a tablet for Christmas and thought I would get them again, well I got Syberia 1 for my tablet (haven't finished it yet) but if I want S2 I will have to get in parts!!!

Well just to let Big Fish know I wont be bothering, I shall play it again on my computer!
Such a shame as according to BF I own the game so why should I pay twice!?!

I own quite a few of the Large file Games (which has disappeared?) are they going to split those up as well???

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY...... do we as dedicated gamers of Big Fish not pay enough
already, I have been with them for quite a few years and find this sort of underhandedness rather insulting.

As you will note I do not post usually, so I shall be considering whether to keep my account with them or is it time to move on?

Sadly
Gillian.

Go to: