sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

Re:Comments for Silent Nights: The Pianist Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sartasia on Mar 15, 12 9:53 AM
Have to agree with the comments concerning the Reviews found on purchase page. When they first announced they were adding those I had commented that only people who had purchased the game should be allowed to post as otherwise their reviews really had little value as many games are different after you play a while. Some get more difficult, some more involved. What is the point if someone has only played 5 minutes? I now tend to avoid reading them. I guess it balances out as a very few regulars posting in the forum tend to have the same very vocal complaint about every game and that too gets rather tiresome. But then that is what the forums are there for as opposed to the Review/purchase page.

I too am on the fence. Though probably leaning towards waiting for the SE. I almost always purchase the CEs but have to admit the lag between scenes irritates me and breaks my concentration. And although the story is fairly interesting the incessant rain is already getting old. It falls squarely on the easy side and really doesn't have the bells and whistles to warrant the extra $. Just doesn't have the feel of a CE.
Well it would seem I have talked myself into waiting for the SE. I'm satisfied and my wallet is all the happier.

Happy Gaming Fishies

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Mar 15, 12 10:55 AM
Too many junk piles HOG scenes and not enough puzzles and adventure. Maybe as a DD but definitely not a CE or SE for me.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Mar 15, 12 11:46 AM
From the beginning as I looked at the screenshots and the video I thought the game was just very drab and dull looking no color no excitement just dark, drab, dull, and very blah and I agree with MsFreddie about the screenshots they just weren't doing it for me either they really put me off and I almost didn't try the demo just because of that because I could tell just by the screenshots this one wasn't going to be for me now having said that I did try the demo to give the game a chance and it didn't take long for me to figure out that yes the colors and game play go hand in hand this is a very drab, dull, and frankly a depressing game to look at I found the piano music grated on my nerves like fingernails sliding down the chalkboard. This is definitely not collector's edition material the voice overs when there are some are okay at best but overall the colors well there just aren't any and I think there should have been at least some bright colors but there just aren't and the constant raining along with the not so appealing search scenes there again everything was just very drab and dull looking needless to say I was ready to stop when the demo ended. I appreciate the effort made here but I really don't think this should have been a collector's edition it's just not worthy it's a mediocre standard version at best it's just a dull, drab, and very depressing game I doubt I even buy the standard edition when it's released and I really wanted and tried to like this game but this is one that just couldn't hold my interest and it was just very hard to keep looking at much less try and play. Sorry dev's and Big Fish this one is a no buy here.

[Post New]by sthompso on Mar 15, 12 11:58 AM
I'm really enjoying this game. The colors are drab and dull and the rain is annoying, but I'm tuning all that out for the most part. The interaction in the HOS is a nice change of pace, although it's only for one item in each scene. And the click penalty and other "jump scares" are kinda fun. I found myself jumping in my seat several times. I also like that there are many interactive places in each scene, that keeps ya on your toes. I'm not sure if I will buy the CE, but, if not, I will definitely get the SE when it's released.

Happy Gaming!!

[Post New]by hanjonsmom on Mar 15, 12 12:00 PM
I'm really enjoying this game. The colors are drab and dull and the rain is annoying, but I'm tuning all that out for the most part. The interaction in the HOS is a nice change of pace, although it's only for one item in each scene. And the click penalty and other "jump scares" are kinda fun. I found myself jumping in my seat several times. I also like that there are many interactive places in each scene, that keeps ya on your toes. I'm not sure if I will buy the CE, but, if not, I will definitely get the SE when it's released.

Happy Gaming!!

Haha, ooops. Posted that last comment on my mom's account. Sorry Mom.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 15, 12 12:05 PM
gmac1007 wrote:From the beginning as I looked at the screenshots and the video I thought the game was just very drab and dull looking no color no excitement just dark, drab, dull, and very blah and I agree with MsFreddie about the screenshots they just weren't doing it for me either they really put me off and I almost didn't try the demo just because of that because I could tell just by the screenshots this one wasn't going to be for me now having said that I did try the demo to give the game a chance and it didn't take long for me to figure out that yes the colors and game play go hand in hand this is a very drab, dull, and frankly a depressing game to look at I found the piano music grated on my nerves like fingernails sliding down the chalkboard. This is definitely not collector's edition material the voice overs when there are some are okay at best but overall the colors well there just aren't any and I think there should have been at least some bright colors but there just aren't and the constant raining along with the not so appealing search scenes there again everything was just very drab and dull looking needless to say I was ready to stop when the demo ended. I appreciate the effort made here but I really don't think this should have been a collector's edition it's just not worthy it's a mediocre standard version at best it's just a dull, drab, and very depressing game I doubt I even buy the standard edition when it's released and I really wanted and tried to like this game but this is one that just couldn't hold my interest and it was just very hard to keep looking at much less try and play. Sorry dev's and Big Fish this one is a no buy here.

So, can I take it that you didn't like this game? LOL

Hi there, gmac...

Funnily enough, it was the screenshots that gave me high hopes for this game. I thought the screenshots looked really good, nice colours, and the HOS didn't look as messy as they appeared in the game itself.
Just goes to show how different things look on different computers.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 15, 12 12:17 PM
LostForever wrote:Is this the comment or the review section?

Hey LostForever--Yep, it is indeed kinda difficult to tell, isn't it? "Comments," like mine, can read just like reviews, and one-or two-line "reviews" can be read like diluted "comments." I guess you just have to visit both threads.

[Post New]by OldtimerCat on Mar 15, 12 12:41 PM
peglegann wrote:
snapnhiss wrote:
DragonLadyOz wrote:...
As you are also aware, there are a lot of supposed informative "official" Reviews of games here based on (sometimes) very short trials...

I just noticed that! I don't usually read the "official" reviews but I noticed one of the games that I liked only got two stars so I took a peek and saw that several reviews contained maybe two sentences, one sentence saying they had only played for 10 minutes or so. What a waste of everyone's time.

Had to join in to concur on this.
An "official review" to me, should be based on the purchase of a game and not just a way for people to appear to be a "Top Reviewer" or "Key Contributer" by posting as many 1 or 2 lined reviews, as they possibly can. A bit like morphing by playing word games! ROFL!

Anyway, as far as this game goes, I will not be buying the DP but possibly the SE, as although I think that the dev's have done a great job, for their first game it is not worth double money.

vadasgirl5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,006 Posts

[Post New]by vadasgirl5 on Mar 15, 12 12:48 PM
Well I got through the demo and have been undecided what to do with this...

This has an interesting story but those pauses between scenes.... I feel there is absolutely no excuse for them.. Still thinking ....

mainly wanted to mention those pauses in case the developers come read these.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Mar 15, 12 3:11 PM
I agree with a lot of people on this one...hate the lag in between scenes..don't care for the stuff flying in my face...the HO under the stairs is terrible, you can't make out things brightness or not brightness... ..and what is with all the rain coming down all the time. Lately seems like every game that comes out its raining...I live in Washington state and I don't need any more RAIN so...dev's it does seem like this game was just thrown together..sorry ..no buy for me...

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Mar 15, 12 3:11 PM
I agree with a lot of people on this one...hate the lag in between scenes..don't care for the stuff flying in my face...the HO under the stairs is terrible, you can't make out things brightness or not brightness... ..and what is with all the rain coming down all the time. Lately seems like every game that comes out its raining...I live in Washington state and I don't need any more RAIN so...dev's it does seem like this game was just thrown together..sorry ..no buy for me...

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Mar 15, 12 3:18 PM
I like the game, so I bought it..
as simple as that

why shoud every next game be better than the one before? that's impossible

and I can turn off the music if there is too much silent night )

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Mar 15, 12 3:35 PM
Valdy wrote:
gmac1007 wrote:From the beginning as I looked at the screenshots and the video I thought the game was just very drab and dull looking no color no excitement just dark, drab, dull, and very blah and I agree with MsFreddie about the screenshots they just weren't doing it for me either they really put me off and I almost didn't try the demo just because of that because I could tell just by the screenshots this one wasn't going to be for me now having said that I did try the demo to give the game a chance and it didn't take long for me to figure out that yes the colors and game play go hand in hand this is a very drab, dull, and frankly a depressing game to look at I found the piano music grated on my nerves like fingernails sliding down the chalkboard. This is definitely not collector's edition material the voice overs when there are some are okay at best but overall the colors well there just aren't any and I think there should have been at least some bright colors but there just aren't and the constant raining along with the not so appealing search scenes there again everything was just very drab and dull looking needless to say I was ready to stop when the demo ended. I appreciate the effort made here but I really don't think this should have been a collector's edition it's just not worthy it's a mediocre standard version at best it's just a dull, drab, and very depressing game I doubt I even buy the standard edition when it's released and I really wanted and tried to like this game but this is one that just couldn't hold my interest and it was just very hard to keep looking at much less try and play. Sorry dev's and Big Fish this one is a no buy here.

So, can I take it that you didn't like this game? LOL

Hi there, gmac...

Funnily enough, it was the screenshots that gave me high hopes for this game. I thought the screenshots looked really good, nice colours, and the HOS didn't look as messy as they appeared in the game itself.
Just goes to show how different things look on different computers.

Hi Valdy yeah I think it would be safe to say that I really didn't care too much for this one and your right every computer is different and your also right that the screenshots did actually look better than they did in the game. I really did want to and tried to like the game but sadly it just never grabbed me and I was ready for the demo to be over sad too because the game had potential.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Mar 15, 12 8:41 PM
Thank you Peglegamn for the info on how many chapters are in the game.

Sincere apologies to Rebeca_Lily. When I read your first comment I assumed you had not purchased the game which confused me. I am so glad you cleared that up for me.

Now my big decision is whether or not to purchase the game. It seems like a decent length game but not sure if I am grabbed by it or not. I just may since I am playing my last game and cannot wait until Sunday for the next CE (if they have one) or heaven forbid-NEXT Thursday! lol There might be a decent SE in the meantime but most likely it will be a SE of a CE that I already purchased. If I run into a dry spell there is always my Match 3 games or I can happily knit more while waiting for a new game.

momoftoad
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by momoftoad on Mar 15, 12 9:12 PM
For those who read the comments section to the 3rd page.....

THE TUNE IS NOT SILENT NIGHT! The first bar has the same rhythm pattern as the first bar of Silent Night, and kind of a rendition of the tune. That's about it. The rest of the track is different!

Okay, there I said it. I'll go back to my corner now.

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Mar 15, 12 11:00 PM
imo the music looks (hears) a bit like music composed by Eric Satie

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 15, 12 11:44 PM
Hello all,
Whilst I like to support new developers, I would have to say that this game would have been a good start from them as a SE, but is not really at the standard most of us expect from a CE these days. "Entwined" had as much interest and a lot of similar features and was released as a SE.
The overall idea is "interesting" enough, there are nice interractions in the HOS and they are place/time relevant, but even in the harder mode, the messages you receive about what you need to do to complete a task belies the need for a SG - or even a WT for that matter. And the puzzles were very easy to complete.
Oh, it did automatically play in widescreen - a nice change. But the lag between scenes should have been noted and commented upon in testing to be remedied as this is not expected in a CE.
I suspect the games offered here recently have been developed at different times, but I too found the "rain" off-putting - though maybe that is because of all of the rain we have had here recently. LOL
As far as the music goes (which I admit I turned down after 5-10 minutes), I thought it was deliberately out of tune to enhance the suspence and theme of the story - off-skewed.
I think it is about time that BFG not only alter the point system they have set up for CEs, but that the people who beta the games continue to make mention of this.
I beta'd a game last year that was great - had all of the bells and whistles I liked in a game, but no SG or Extras buttons to indicate that it would be a CE. I made a number of comments about this.
Upon visiting the devs website to see when it would be released, they were boasting that the game received 10/12 points from BFG and it would be released as a CE. No SG to review, no idea what the extras would be. Hmph.
So, I will have to join the band of others here to say that whilst it OK as a game from a new developer, it seems there will be very little missed if you wait for the SE.
Cheers

Edited on 03/15/2012 at 11:47:36 PM PST

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Mar 16, 12 5:44 AM
Well, I bought it and have just finished playing it. While the dialogue left alot to be desired, it was good for a laugh. I wish I could move the way the villaness did, just kind of glide along! Maybe my knees wouldn't hurt so much if I could do that. My only real dislike were the memory things, since my rememory ain't what it used to be, but you can skip those, so I give this game a thumbs up on humor value.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Mar 16, 12 8:59 AM
I played the demo, and I have to agree with the majority here. This game could have been really interesting, but it felt disjointed as a whole. There is the problem with the lag between scenes. If this was a beta, it would be understandable, but it's a finished game, and a CE at that. There's just no excuse for that.

The graphics were good, but the constant lightning got to be distracting at times. Then there's the storyline. The game started decent (well, somewhat) with the dissappearance of a musician. But the moment they inserted a "secret society" in the plot, it fell apart. Somehow, I think that a murdered musician, or someone that tried to kill him/her would have been far more interesting.

The game does need a journal. In these types of stories, it's almost imperative that they have them because you will need it to write down important clues to refer to them later. How the devs. missed that is beyond me.

Someone posted earlier that the music sounded like Satie. Um, no. It really doesn't sound like anything in particular. It's a variant of baroque music, but a bit darker.

The tech. problems are annoying to say the least, so unless they do an update (which I really doubt, since there are few studios that actually do that for the CE), I will wait for the SE.

Edited on 03/16/2012 at 9:35:29 AM PST

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Mar 16, 12 10:53 AM
Help, anyone. I am stuck in the bonus play at the HOS piano. I can't find the second part of the trumpet to continue on. Strategy Guide is no help nor is the hint at this point.

Go to: