roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Re:Reviews for Small Town Terrors: Livingston

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 18, 12 3:31 PM
I wanted to like this game, but I found the HOS somewhat difficult due to the low contrast and so much junk. The puzzles were mostly unsolvable -- or I should say, while I understood the premise from similar puzzles in other games, here there was always some hindrance forcing a restart. I think those two things contributed to my getting bored with it before the end of the demo, which I played on easy. There are better games in my "to buy" list, so I'll skip this one.

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Mar 18, 12 3:41 PM
After reading reviews, I was hesitant to try this game, but I'm glad I did. It's not a game that leads the player around by the nose. You have to do some thinking. The strange colors of the game fit the story line and I like the graphics. I'm hoping there will be a sequel since the game left me with a few questions. I muted the music as always so can't comment on that. No glitches or problems with the download or game play. I'm not particularly fond of cartoon-like characters but the story line made up for that. An interesting and unique game; thanks BF and devs!

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Mar 18, 12 5:21 PM
I used a punch card credit for this game wish That I didn't waste of use. I don't how the hint works, story ok up to a point. too much going back and forth.
Played it once and then uninstalled it & will not play again.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 18, 12 6:44 PM
Not kicked out about this one. Very washed out graphics and too quiet. Just not any action to keep you wanting more. No buy for me either. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the reviews.

momsford
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by momsford on Mar 18, 12 11:10 PM
I was disappointed. The game was okay, but wasn't long enough. I really don't think it's worth the money because of how short it really is.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Mar 19, 12 1:34 AM
Im so over this theme that even though I played a portion of the game that I know is good, I simply cannot get over the insane deja vu feeling I have playing this game. I just demo'ed committed:shady pines the other day and this is basically the same game only done better. Can't the developers think of something new? I love the warning sign in the beginning too. Games like that always crack me up because they end up being not scary at all. Maybe if it hadn't started out with the same old car crash that are in 9856096 other games I own, Id be a little more positive about the overall experience? Like I said, I know this is a good game especially because its a SE, but I just can't stand to walk through another dreary asylum/quarantined building to see what the is happening to this person. Thing is, I watch the show "The walking dead" and I love it and the room and the disarray of the place kind of reminded me of that movie so hey maybe its a zombie theme, doubtful but hey at this point Id take zombies, mummies, snakes, monsters with double chins, practically ANYTHING that was a new idea and wasn't about losing some kid...To those who aren't burnt out on this theme, enjoy because it did look like a game I would have purchased last year =)

oh & one last thing, can I just mention the first puzzle you encounter, guessing the code was TERRIBLE! I guessed a million codes and could never get it right so it would reset to a new code. At least let us know if the numbers are correct or something? I have no idea how anyone could have done that without just getting lucky.

Edited on 03/19/2012 at 1:36:03 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 19, 12 10:46 AM
This is a great game. Graphic is great, gameplay also, hogscenes too. I like also the storyline. For me its a definete buy

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Mar 20, 12 9:33 AM
I was just saying to my son the other day, how I wish they would make a game about zombies or the like. I was starting to get sick of vampires, ghosts and a few werewolves are in there too. My favorite show on TV right now is The Walking Dead - love it!! Valdy is right about the colors. Alot of red, blue. But I found the thing that annoyed me the most was that most of the infected people looked not threatening so much, as having to go to the bathroom!! I actually kept watching the crowd by the police station just for a giggle! The mini-games were horrendous! I did play about 1/3 of them and the others I just skipped. I did like the story though and there weren't alot of HOS, thank you devs!! All in all, I had a good time.

feenix

[Post New]by Sue1163 on Mar 20, 12 7:43 PM
I loved this game it had a great story line behind it. Thought it was gonna be another hospital mad doctor thing but when it got started it turned into a real great horror game, wish I had a game like this to play everyday very intriguing not to hard to understand. When I first got a glimpse of the people I thought it was going to be a game about zombies, but when it got into this virus was from another planet I thought the story and plots were great especially at the end. Do you know if they are going to create a second to this one? I hope so. I give this game 4

sheilaclown
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by sheilaclown on Mar 21, 12 10:19 AM
Frankly I wouldn't want this awful game as a gift ! I managed 20 minutes but I really cannot like it. The flat graphics, bland colours and zero dimensional characters just make me cringe. There are so many much better games to play. This one is NOT for me. X 5

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Mar 21, 12 2:32 PM
Bit the bullet and bought it even though I was torn for all the reasons you guys mentioned.

I liked the game but did not love it. The colors were off at times, but I could accept that since it was someone's "artistic" approach. The HOS weren't too interesting, just a junkpile really.

I found the "zombies" not that threatening either, and I questioned how we got into a building by repeatedly going past them or how we turned on music yet no one came to find us? I don't want to be too spoilerish, but I do think that it should have had a few more jolts in it.

The ending was predictable and disappointing too. I did like that you had to get your health up too when the game first started, but that too became old fast.

And I would have liked more story on what exactly happened. Course maybe I would have been too bored at points to read it anyway.

This game is a solid 2 out of 5, maybe 2.5. It's decent and worth a discount price, but I am sorry I paid the full $6.99 game club price for it. I realize that is still cheap, but it's simply my opinion.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Mar 26, 12 6:45 AM
Hated the music and the whole dark graphics thing makes me not buy the game. When I can barely make out items it is too dark and this one was.

[Post New]by laghostgirl on Mar 26, 12 10:43 AM
WOW! WOW! WOW! Is right! This was a great game! Graphics were good and clear, no voice overs, but sometimes its better to just be able to click through if you're a fast reader. It had a great story and just when you thought you were done and to the end, another chapter springs up.
Thanks DEVs!
Happy Gaming everyone!

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on Mar 30, 12 3:48 PM
I wish I hadn't bought this one. I played the demo for a few minutes then bought it. Never again!

It turned out to be a fairly typical HOPA game, as far as playing it went. But it had some things I found extremely annoying. In no particular order:

-Having to find a tool to do something anybody - even a toddler - could do with their hands.

- Constant back-and-forthing. It's a waste of time. Either let me pick it up the first time I go through, or at least show me that it's there! Having to go back and search all the scenes until I find what I need - bah! Hooray for the walkthrough.

- I gave up using the hint between HOS because it lied. Don't tell me I'm done with a scene when there's still something I need to find.

- No lateral thinking. I've used a high-heeled shoe as a hammer, and a non-pointed knife as a screwdriver... For example (spoiler, highlight to see) a pickaxe can be used as a crowbar, too.

- And I'm sick of stupid heros/heroines dropping tools each time they use them - and then needing a similar tool in another scene. I mean, really? If I was searching a building and found a crowbar, I'd hang on to it, wouldn't you?

- Some bad logic, for example (spoiler, highlight to see) I would never have thought to break a grate with water from a fire hose. I wouldn't have thought it would work, for one thing!

- A lot of the kind of bad logic that makes me rely on the walkthrough to tell me what to do next. I.e., the next thing to do seems obvious, but no; I had to do something counterintuitive.

- While most of the artwork was good, the CGI people were ugly beyond belief. Hey, I'm not expecting Pixar quality, but seriously! I'd rather have the comic-book style ones that slide in and out. And I'm not a huge fan of that.

- The map was largely useless. It did not give enough information to guide me from one spot to another. That is, I'm at point A and need to get to point B; seemingly I need to go forward, then right. In reality I have to go back, left, and out the back door.

What a disappointment.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Apr 2, 12 11:53 PM
Really loved this game. The best and most important reason is that it is mostly an adventure game and it had really fun puzzles, much better puzzles than usual. I really enjoy the beautiful graphics in many games but would much rather play an adventure game than a gorgeous game that is nothing but hidden object scenes. Really hope to see more games like this.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Apr 8, 12 6:00 PM
cll1950 wrote:
grandmab3248 wrote:What on God's green earth are some of you raving about? I couldn't even finish the demo. The prerequisite car crash and then waking up in a dingy hospital, are so cliche it is just downright boring from the very beginning. The hog scenese are junk pile, and I really dislike games with all of the monochromatic schemes. I appreciate bright colors and great art work, neither of which does this game posess. Also the hint button just takes too long to recharge. It really wasn't worth the time it took to download, install and activate, IMHO.

Bingo! The game is ugly and the H.O. scenes are very junky. Even the tiny bit of interaction in them is dumb. The graphics are terrible. The story has been done, done,done. The mechanics are clunky. I won't even start on the mini games.The whole game is so old school.

I read all the rave reviews and was excited to get started but It didn't take long to know it sure isn't something i could sit through.

Those who love it, enjoy.

I must echo this review... I wish I had not bought the game. Too dark, dreary, and same tiresome plot.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Apr 12, 12 5:33 PM
Well, I liked this game & I am glad I bought it. I used a freebie on it & it was worth it!! A little short but i liked the story....aliens...

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Apr 17, 12 12:43 PM
Don't like stories like this one in general. Outbreak of something alien, or a virus, or whatever. Town all deserted (by normal people that is). Broken down things everywhere, depressing atmosphere all around. Not my cup of tea.

But the game is good enough in itself to play, so I used a coupon. Liked a number of the minigames, but I was glad I did have the opportunity to SKIP when one started to bore or annoy me.

Hint button could have filled up faster IMO. H0 scenes junkpiles, but objects fairly well to find.

Hated the 'music' though, muted it almost right away.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 5, 12 6:11 AM
this was just ok for me, liked the graphics, not too many h.o.'s but it was way too short

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Aug 15, 12 5:23 AM
This game is just OK. The graphic's are below average. The coloring is dull.There is a map but it just show's you where you are at. You can't move around using the map. There are lot's of easy HOS and the puzzles are fine.

Go to: