Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ghost Encounters: Deadwood

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Apr 2, 12 10:24 AM
A surprisingly fun and engaging game which had me hooked from the beginning. Nicely done with a different storyline (A western ghost town) and a nice change of pace from the same old mansion games. A Hidden Object/adventure/puzzle game you can actually play without frustration and wile away the hours. Might be a little too easy for those who like it extremely challenging but the concept is still wonderful and alot of fun to play. I highly recommend it!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 3, 12 2:21 PM
Sparkles? Never mind...

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Apr 7, 12 9:34 PM
I haven't finished playing the game yet, but had to make a few comments on the game so far---- first of all the HOS were HORRIBLE!! Talk about junkpiles!! And what adult refers to a mouse as a "squeak squeak" and a duck as a "quack quack"!!?? Where are we, "Sesame Street"? Also, in all my years of playing any game, there has never been some form of a hint button to give some help. I do like, however, the western theme and the story in general. I will give a follow-up review upon completion of the game.

Happy Trails,

feenix

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Apr 8, 12 6:51 PM
This was a great game. I loved it. I hope there will be a sequel. This game wasn't hard or challenging, it was fun. Lot's of HOS and puzzles. Great colors and graphic's.
Lot's of fun.....+

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Apr 9, 12 10:04 PM
O.K., finished the game and glad I did! (due to frustration) Definitely not my favorite game, but liked the Western theme enough to continue to play. Hated the HOS, and the fact that there was no map or hints available in regular game play. I'm sure the gamers that like a challenge, this is more their speed, well maybe not, judging by reviews, but for those of us that like a little "hand holding" along the way (!!) I don't recommend this game. I found myself frustrated in a few places having no idea where to go next. Some of the game play was self-explanatory and you knew what to do with certain inventory items, but overall, I didn't have a really good time with this one. Again, in the HOS, not only were some of the objects named stupid (!), but some were also so general, you had no idea what you were looking for ie: "stack", "mixer", "sharp", etc. Well, off to bed and dream of a good game to play on the morrow!!

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Apr 9, 12 10:18 PM
Just a quick update, after again reading the reviews, to Dominick_Fontana (that I usually agree with!!), the "sharp" issue in the HOS, may not be a widely recognized symbol to gamers not familiar with music. I play keyboards so I know the symbol, but it could have referred to a knife, razor, etc. Right?!

feenix

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Apr 17, 12 1:59 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I did have a problem with the missing bone but uninstalled and reinstalled the updated version and was able to finish. It did freeze up almost at the end but when I left the game and went back in it was fine. I liked the story and the graphics were very nice. It was easy enough that I only had to refer to the walkthrough a couple of times. I forgot about a couple of mysterious cracks. It was quite long for me and enjoyed myself for a couple of days playing it.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on May 6, 12 10:37 AM
At first I thought this would be boring because of it's western setting, but after playing the trial version, I actually liked it ! It was fun and different from the usual ghost themed games. Nice going devs !!

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Jun 26, 12 5:56 PM
OK, here's my review of Ghost Encounters: Deadwood:

Options: Offered were Music, Sound FX, Voice, Eye Candy, Full Screen, & Custom Cursor. Game modes were Easy or Difficult, but there were sparkles to locate the HOGs in both modes.

Graphics: Good graphics for me - clear, clean & believable. Cutscenes were short, however, and pretty basic.

Voices/Sounds/Music: I liked the voices, the sounds seemed right on, but the music was definitely not what I expected. It wasn't bad - it just didn't match with this "western" themed game IMO.

Minis/HOGs: The mini games had a skip feature, the HOGs had hints (mostly just junkpiles) but there weren't any hints that I could find for the main game. Didn't mind it too much cuz there were a couple of time I almost went running for the WT, but I would eventually find what I needed just before I got to that point of desperation..

Game Overall: I really liked this one - not over the top - but it kept my attention because, for the most part, there was logic in how to play the game. I felt myself pulled in by a couple of the characters, but my one real beef is that many of these HOG games have a heroine and rarely a hero. Why does a gender have to be placed on the playing character at all? I was also put off by the lack of hints during the main game play at first, but I slowly realized that I really didn't need anything more & I was just spoiled from some of the games in the past. One more thing - the inventory bar had a habit of disappearing just when I needed it, and then I'd have to click 2 or 3 times to get it to re-appear.

Recommendation: Definitely would recommend this one unless you don't like ghosts, which fishies should catch right away simply by the name of the game?!

Out of 5 stars, I give this one

[Post New]by DarkForestFaerie on Jul 8, 12 10:14 AM
At first glance I didn't think I would like this one. But as I progressed I found it to be quite a good game. By the time I was finished, I realized that it was at the top of my "Best Games" list. The scenes were crisp and clean, HOGS were sharp (objects easy to pick out.) Good story line. I hope the developers make more like this. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was sorry to see it end.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Aug 8, 12 8:53 AM
Good grief, its finally over! Playing this game was like having constipation. The demo made the game seem...somewhat unique and looked like fun. Wow, what a headache. First, the only HINTs are in the "ever so many" HOS...which were so plentiful I actually groaned everytime I saw the sparkles. Many areas to go to and no map...or task list and not Hint button so it was "click, click, click. Mini games were tedious, repetitive and annoying with a VERY slow skip button. Music was annoying so I turned it off...voice overs were tiresome too. The journal was useless and lagged so that was no help either. I had to exit so many times to use the walkthrough, (which I rarely have to do in other games, but had to in this one just to figure out how to progress) that it got tiresome and frustrating.

Some of the games used number combinations to solve which had no clues so if you had to solve a combo with 4 numbers, you had to figure out, using those 4 numbers what the correct order was.....unless I am really dumb...it seems there are an enormous amount of combos that can come from 4 numbers. Not fun. I skipped almost all the games. If you like a real challenge in which you have no clues whatsoever....go for it...but you better like a lot of HOS too. Good luck. I give this game a 2 -.....

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 19, 12 2:35 PM

Edited on 12/03/2012 at 10:34:47 AM PST

[Post New]by MereRock on Dec 27, 12 8:45 PM
Really liked this game. I played it in the expert mode, and yes... the lack of a hint button is challenging. But being challenged is part of what made it so fun! Really liked it, and hope they make more!

[Post New]by shewolf415 on Dec 31, 12 5:06 PM
I like the game pretty well except for it had way to many Hos. And It really needed a move around map. Other than that Great Game

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 7, 13 1:58 PM
Easy & Entertaining

GAME COMPLETED TWICE

This is one of the easier HOPAs I have played, and would have been even easier, if it had had a hint button outside the HOs and/or a walkthrough. Nevertheless, I stuck it out and finished the game without help, which was very satisfying.

Set in the Wild Wild West, this game’s atmosphere is very creepy to match its ghostly story. A hint button that is a vulture ought to give you an idea of the style of this one.

The music and background noises were particularly ominous, although they sounded like they’d work better in a sci-fi environment.

The graphics are of that rarer cartoon style, except more subtlety is used. And a little glary. But the objects are easily seen. No interaction unfortunately.

This game is fun to play but it is never going to make anyone’s top ten list. It’s an average game, very relaxing when you don’t feel like going into battle.

I recommend this game!

RVKittykat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by RVKittykat on Jul 25, 13 9:48 PM
I just finished this one. I liked the graphics and storyline but have a few complaints. The HO scenes were repetitious and became boring half way before the game ended. Talk about junkpiles! There were things out of time and place. I find this very irritating in a game I'm really involved in. Why can't those who write these games do a little research? Modern items don't belong in an old ghost town. There are thousands of items that can be used instead... and why the trash heap look? The same scenes shouldn't be used over and over and over again with the same "stuff" in them. There was also more moving back and forth, back and forth from one scene to another than I liked, causing me to go in circles looking for the scene I had to go to next. There was no map. There were no hints necessitating I find a walkthrough for those times I got hung-up. Other than these few things I liked the game but doubt I'd play it again.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Jan 9, 14 12:36 AM
On Mac 10.6.8 (hour demo): Game functioned (see endless reports of trouble from 2012), so that was a plus. The voices were a problem--completely inconsistent with one another, much less with the western U.S. (Devs, please give us option to mute voices only.)
The paranormal investigation was promising; the game not so much. A flaming ghost whizzed around like a rocket, & the figures that were drawn poorly were distracting (e.g., Granny, Billy). HOS were everywhere, but the quality wasn't: junkpiles galore, w/ lots of anachronistic objects--and a way-outdated, shoddy way of not showing the whole object disappear (just the cutout). At one point the HOS is of objects in a cupboard that actually first appears empty.
I don't understand why Big Fish gave no explanation for the current presentation of this game, which came out in 2012. (Is this the first Mac version?) Need to state, because it took me awhile of plowing through the dismal tech reports to realize that they were from the year before last.

MsDee_1968
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by MsDee_1968 on Mar 11, 14 7:31 AM
To be honest, I found this game a little boring and not much of a challenge. Decent graphics, but some of the hidden object scenes reminded me of the local dump: things scattered all over the place and a big mess in general. The voiceovers made me want to hit the MUTE button just to shut them up! They were distracting and annoying. Liked the western/ghost town theme, but have seen several OTHER HOGs do a much better job with it. Check out Ghost Town Mysteries: Bodie and you'll see what I mean.

Would recommend this game for HOG beginners, but not for an experienced player. Overall, I'd rate this game 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

Go to: