agedog1
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

Not worth the $13.99

[Post New]by agedog1 on Apr 1, 12 8:51 AM
I had hight hopes for this game and it was fun to play but WAY WAY WAY to short for a collectors edition.

Can't suggest this game to anyone because of the Price!

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shiver: Poltergeist Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Apr 1, 12 12:23 PM
Now this was a very interesting and great game to play !! This one is right up there in the top 10's. I played the demo and knew that I wanted it ! The storyline was fabulous and not the least bit boring. Graphics were great, love the flashlight and camera.....how cool was that ! Great job Devs, and thank you BFG for this one!!

bellakey
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by bellakey on Apr 1, 12 6:55 PM
The game is very good. The SG is horrible, jumps around and difficult to follow. Game is worth the money

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Apr 3, 12 12:06 AM
I rather liked this game. Loved the graphics and while I didn't particularly like having to scroll down on each SG page, I didn't have a problem with the SG reverting back to Content. I muted the music so can't comment on that. Download was easy with no problems. Towards the end of the game, I thought I finally knew who was causing all the problems, but the ending did leave me with unanswered questions. The swaying on the balcony, and the lighthouse platform, was awesome. I felt as tho I was really standing there. I have a problem with heights but that part of the game didn't bother me...or at least I hope the scene was swaying and not me in my chair! I loved the first Shiver game, and I'm not sorry I bought this one. Love spooky games!! The hidden object scenes were not too difficult to find, and there wasn't one hidden object scene after another. The games were fun and not too difficult. Thanks, BF, and devs, for a fun evening!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 3, 12 8:15 AM
I loved this game, although it was frustrating at times. I liked the graphics, the background music/sounds, the story, everything about it. And, I was so pleasantly surprised at the bonus game. So many times, when I purchase a CE, that part is a major disappointment. Not this time. I really enjoyed it and was very happy with my purchase. Now, if this developer would just improve the SG so one does not have to start at the table of contents every time, it would be helpful.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Apr 3, 12 7:17 PM
I agree with agedog that it's way too short for a CE. not that I can finish it because of a problem, but I know from the guide that I am very near the end and it seems like I just started playing.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Apr 4, 12 3:50 AM
Really enjoyed this game. Great graphics. SG was less than desireable. Even tho I thought this game was great will never purchase another CE with the SG that does not keep your place.

Agree with all of the previous positive reviews. (except the SG)

Happy gaming

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Apr 6, 12 1:10 AM
Although I loved the game, I agree with some of the other reviews and won't get CE. I loved the first Shiver. I am playing in Advanced and it wasn't challenging enough for me. I will definite get the SE but for CE price the walkthrough and bonus' need to be worth it...

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Apr 6, 12 1:22 AM
i really liked the game, thought it was pretty difficult on the hard mode. in addition to the always reliable reviews before me, i think it was not too dark, not too silly, just right. i was not bored at all with this one, and def recommend it. enjoy!

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Apr 6, 12 5:34 PM
In the demo I got as far as the cutscene with the fire on the stairs. When the character I'm playing exclaimed "Holy cannoli!" I shut the game down. What is this, an episode of "Batman"?

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood tonight. I loved the first Shiver game (got some screengrabs that I use for wallpaper). So I'll wait a bit and give the game another chance.

I agree with the fishie who said we ought to start a game furnished with a tool box, although I was already thinking tool belt. We need to have our hands free when we're having to carry a ladder, firewood and a cannon (yes, a cannon; in the third Puppetville game).

TenaR
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by TenaR on Apr 7, 12 2:06 PM
I really, really loved this game. The storyline was good but the graphics and game play were awesome. I like games that I can figure out with just a bit of thought. Games that are too difficult or have you running back and forth over the same ground looking for something that ends up not even making sense are not for me! I enjoyed the puzzles too.

I'm going to download Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker now since I enjoyed this one so much.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Apr 7, 12 4:16 PM
I agree with many others that this is a great game. I never needed the strategy guide until I was in the Bonus Chapter. It was of no use at all for the problem I had. I thought I had a technical issue and contacted customer support. Since then, I have found that the Strategy Guide is incomplete and after several days of frustration, there were finally some posts that got me through my problem.

Main Game: A+

Bonus Game: C

Stradegy guide Main Game: ? (didn't use it)

Help system Main game: A

Stragy guide Bonus Game: F (incomplete)

Forum Help: A+++++

Voice overs: A

Graphics: A

Music: B

Overall, I loved the Main Game. The Bonus Chapter not so much as stated above.

There is great help in the forums, just not the Help system or the Strategy Guide.

Happy gaming everyone and a VERY BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT POSTED HELP THAT WAS NEEDED IN THE BONUS GAME.

Edited on 04/07/2012 at 4:20:29 PM PST

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Apr 8, 12 10:08 PM
Hmm...some rough edges on this one. Mine appears to be a minority opinion in several areas, so caveat emptor.

Pros: very atmospheric, excellent music, decent if minimal voice acting. Gorgeous cut scenes. Graphics a bit uneven - some places crystal-clear, others not so much, the solution to the sundial problem being nearly unreadable on my monitor. Plenty of game play (I'm probably just slow). Some puzzles quite challenging.

Cons: SG, as others have stated, is clumsy and requires a scroll-down in some places. Inventory often filled with items long before their use is guessable, and when it is, some frustration - you can't cut a cord with a rapier but you can with a broken dish? Silliness. Camera's use is not clear; why was it even there? One puzzle I solved but nothing happened, skipped it and it turned out my solution was correct. Infuriating. Plot over-elaborate and not, as it ended, a very good mystery at all.

I loved the first Shiver (the Hitchhiker) and gave it five fins up. This one, maybe three and a half. Four, tops. Still enjoyed it but I wouldn't play it again.

Twikey
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Twikey on Apr 10, 12 10:56 AM
I am enjoying the game no matter what others say at first I thought it was an Adventure Game so I thought okay gave it a try and found out that it had HO's too so it's a buy for me, I'm not new to BF and don't mind the same old theme.I aways see something different about each one and involve myself in it that is when the game is acceptable to me, after buying at least 300 games I learned what's good and not! Just to add the 'Snotty Butler' speaks English as an English Butler should the rest I don't know yet!

dst12
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by dst12 on Apr 10, 12 1:50 PM
I liked the game, but strategy guide was very confusing, what you see in the picture guide is not in written in guide, it looks like they left out some of the informations,
lately your guides are not helpful as before, I think is better just to buy SG, at
least we can get walkthrough from some where else ,less confusing. and save
money .

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Apr 14, 12 7:16 AM
Since inheriting a manor on an island is pretty much my dream situation, i was fairly sure right off the bat that I would like this game...and, based on 51 minutes of the demo, I wasn't wrong.

Pros:
The storyline, clearly. I'm not sure what's going on, but I definitely want to find out.
The music. I love it! Very atmospheric, really helps to set the mood.
The objects in the HO scenes - this game is set in 1936, and so far, everything has been appropriate to the time. No cellphones
The hint system will give you an arrow without needing a recharge if you need to go to a different location - I ALWAYS appreciate this!

Cons:
The graphics aren't the best I've seen. I don't mind the gloominess (after all, this is an English island - I'm not expecting bright and sunny), but I would like them to be clearer. However, I can live with less than perfect graphics for a good story.

Unknown:
The SG. I guess this isn't really unknown, as so many have said that it does not keep your place, and seems to be less than helpful in some cases. I did not use it in the time I played, so I didn't want to comment directly. Guess this means the difficulty level is just right! (Playing on advanced).
The puzzles - while I have picked one up (and as someone noted, what an interesting way to present this), I have not yet found the needed piece to solve it, so I can't comment on the difficulty.

Given that we have a BOGO sale today, I am off to try and find a second CE (going to try the new House of 1000 Doors) and, assuming I find one, will definitely be purchasing this!

[Post New]by applepeachjicama on Apr 16, 12 7:26 PM
I bought the game. It was just ok. Game is Too short and the drab colors in every single scene didn't help much.

Noonio
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Noonio on Apr 19, 12 5:14 AM
Its funny to see such mixed reviews. I loved the game, was it the best one ever no but found the story and graphics very good and it kept me entertained. I didnt try the demo just took a chance and bought it straight away. Worth a buy. 7 out of 10 for me

Noonio
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Noonio on Apr 19, 12 5:15 AM
Its funny to see such mixed reviews. I loved the game, was it the best one ever no but found the story and graphics very good and it kept me entertained. I didnt try the demo just took a chance and bought it straight away. Worth a buy. 7 out of 10 for me

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Apr 20, 12 4:06 PM
Absolutely fantastic, it is a dream come true. I love dark, eerie and scary games, especialy if they have an old mansion. This game has it all plus more. Very well done, hidden object scenes are great and the different locations are excellent and beautiful. Devs, you did an outstanding job, thankyou so much, and please, keep these games coming, I never tire of them.

Go to: