nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Mysteries: Royal Family Secrets

[Post New]by nikma on Apr 15, 12 1:50 AM
gran bel gioco,abbastanza complicato,solo un pò dispersivo,bisogna fare attenzione a ricordarsi i vari passaggi da un luogo ad un'altro...bela la grafica e i colori....nel complesso divertente....

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 15, 12 9:44 AM
excellent game, good length, great graphics and interesting story

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 15, 12 9:44 AM
excellent game, good length, great graphics and interesting story

Ada_B
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Ada_B on Apr 15, 12 11:20 AM
I'm enjoying the game so far, but I have a bit of issue with the fact that it has a British setting but was obviously written by Americans with no idea about Britain.

I know its trivial, but for instance, we don't have termites in Britain. Why not woodworm instead?

Obviously, historically its a bit dodgy as well: we didn't have tea, or teapots, turkey or guitars in 1601 in England. But that doesn't bother me so much as the termites, for some reason. I suppose it just jarred - completely ruined any suspension of disbelief for me, which was a pity because it's otherwise a good story.

I always avoid any games set in Britain for this reason, since BFG designers nearly always get it wrong. Please, in future, check your facts!

But as a general review, I'd say its a good game with good game play, nice mixture of HOG and puzzles (not too much HOG - I find that boring) and interesting story.

[Post New]by rebelandsmokey on Apr 19, 12 3:39 AM
Awesum Game really great game only took me two days to do it in. Loved the graphics and everything about the game be good if there was a sequel totally worth the money

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Apr 26, 12 5:26 AM
My big compliant with this game is that there was entirely TOO much running back and forth. It would have been nice if the map would have allowed you to jump from place to place. I also didn't like that once you got from one corner of the map to the other, there was only one simple thing to do, pick something up or lay something down... pretty frustrating for me... Other than that, I enjoyed the story line, the graphics and the mini games. I recommend this game, but beware... you're gonna wear your shoes out!!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on May 3, 12 6:49 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It had great adventure elements with smooth game play and a nice balance of hidden object scenes and puzzles. The map was really necessary for this one. The graphics were clear and colorful with an interesting background story and perfect length. While the game was not as refined in terms of the graphics and complexity that we see in collector edition games, I thought the game was very fun - which is more than I can say for some games at twice the price.

Most importantly, the graphics were in true widescreen format (not stretched - which is NOT true widescreen format, regardless of whether you can get it to "fill your screen or not"). This was wonderful - I sure wish we would see this from all of those other developers who are churning out "collector edition" games at twice the price and think stretched graphics will suffice for widescreen - I really hate that this stretched option is becoming an acceptable standard - it is not acceptable to me.

Overall a great game!

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 6:51:18 AM PST

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on May 5, 12 1:30 AM
Just finished and I definitely have to give this a double thumbs-up. Loved the story, loved the setting, loved the graphics. It was nice and long, very challenging, with a great mix of puzzles rather than just one H0 scene after another. Much better than my other experience with the Hidden Mysteries series!

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on May 14, 12 10:14 AM
I can't add too much to what has been said other than I am so loving this game. ERS is one of my fav dev and they have not let us down. The graphics are so gorgeous! There is quite a bit of to and fro...the map is a lifesaver but doesnt let you teleport..lol but the extra walking I dont mind because the scenery is so beautiful along the way. Anyone who hasn't tried this yet please do....the storyline will grab you and keep you completely absorbed that to me is half the battle. I especially love the Rose Tower once everything is in bloom...stunning! Happy gaming all!

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jun 17, 12 4:54 PM
great story
bumbling game
graphics are mediocre

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Jun 24, 12 3:36 PM
OK, here's my review for Hidden Mysteries: Royal Family Secrets:

Options: Offered were Music, Sound FX, Full Screen & Custom Cursor. Modes were Easy or Expert.

Graphics: I was not disappointed in the graphics, altho there was a lot of blue, but that's to be expected when you play darker games.

Voices/Sounds/Music: There were no voices, the sounds were good, but the music was only so-so. I have to agree with other players that the sound fxs were a little over the top by announcing every time you picked up the right object.

Minis/HOGs: The mini-games were good, and the HOGs were very easy, IMO, but nothing more than junkpiles.

Game Overall: I like the Hidden Mysteries series. Sometimes I see things in the HOGs that I rhink were probably not during the era depicted, but I'm not a historian so maybe it doesn't bother me as much as others. I also wasn't bothered by the Map not allowing me to hop from scene to scene. I kinda feel like that's cheating to immediately skip areas to avoid the walking, but then I also get tired of having to go back and forth all the time just to find one item. Anyway, I thought this game was good overall. Plus, I was also hoping to hear from someone who is familiar with the area or the towers to hear how true to form the scenes might have been.

Recommendation: Not for anyone who gets a little squeamish over bones and death, but I would recommend this game for fishies who enjoy a "whodunnit" in our history.

Out of 5 stars, I would give this one

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jul 17, 12 1:28 PM
Well, right off the bat, this game needed a more accurate map! The map provided was not true to the game so you spent more time making sure you were going in the right direction than enjoying it! A lot of running all over, the map should definately have been a jump map. Good grief...what frustration.

The mini games, for the most part were fairly easy but the directions were a nightmare, and there were a lot of them...sometimes I just skipped the game because the directions were just too convuluted. Hint button refreshes fairly quickly as does the skip button. Music/Sound is just awful...I had to turn both of them down. Graphics were OK...storyline different and interesting to a certain degree but confusing. A lot of HOGS and the sparkles will drive anti-sparkle players crazy. Felt frustration and a bit irritated during this game. I give it a 3.5 , mostly because of that awful map and all the running around. Also, the hint button does not do anything but tell you "there is nothing to do here", so you need to consult the map to figure out where to go next most of the time.

Edited on 07/17/2012 at 1:30:41 PM PST

[Post New]by wildcat_1 on Aug 21, 12 5:45 AM
quite challenging HOS, top-notch graphics, intriguing plot
music. Turn it off!

Worth the money. Enjoy it!

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Sep 29, 12 2:35 AM
CBTX and others - thanks for the reviews - it really helps when trying to decide whether or not to use a bonus coupon on a game. I always go through the reviews before I make up my mind.

In case no one else has answered your query - "The story is great----very absorbing. (There are a couple of lads featured which rings a bell concerning my English history, but I can't remember who they are----hopefully, the story might expand on that, but no matter, I'm digressing.) "

I think the boys are the the "Princes in the Tower" who were thought to have been murdered in the Tower of London (possibly by Richard 111) to prevent Edward being crowned king. Richard was Edward's brother so next in line to the throne.

Here endeth today's history lesson.

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on May 6, 13 2:09 PM
Tried this game while on sale with the Educational Initiatives Group games. I was excited to give it a try because of the setting and the history. The graphics were gorgeous and I could have put up with the need for some copy editing, but I was just thoroughly disgusted that what could have been a good historical-fiction mystery was cheapened by an occult theme thrust upon it. Can't anybody write a good, suspenseful plot without ghosts, skeletons, demons, etc., any more? Not a buy today.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 7, 13 12:46 PM
I enjoyed this game. It really was not that difficult, so it was nice to still be able to play something in between more intense CE's. Loved the story line and even though I found a few factual blunders, it was still okay. I also liked having the map tell you where you had a task to perform. It would have been nicer to jump locations, but it was still pretty easy to follow. Great game, loved the story line, and would definitely play it again.

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on May 24, 13 9:42 AM
Because of the mixed reviews I thought I would try before buying and I am glad I did. Not my type of game at all.
You have to run all over the place to find your way half the time. Map is a bit of a help but not that much.
Cannot really put my finger on what I dislike about it other than I much prefer light hearted games and fed up with all the doom and gloom games.
No buy for me.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 30, 13 3:21 AM
One Of My All Time Favourites

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This is not a big money game. There’s no movie-like opening scenes, the game opens directly to the main menu page. There’s no voiceover, and the tale being told is simple. But it is a lovely game to play.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are pretty good – and it opens in wide-screen mode. The style is hand drawn, vibrant colours, although many scenes are quite dark. The HO scenes offer clear and detailed objects with little disguise.

The music is moody, occasionally regal, never annoying. Ambient sound adds just the right touch of authenticity. The entire experience is gentle and almost... thoughtful.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
A friend has stolen the queen’s cursed amulet, and fingered you for the deed. Today is the day of your execution. Since only a miracle can save you now, where must this game be going? It’s great to play a story that doesn’t involve the rescue of idiotic family for a change. What you will have to do is pacify a bunch of unruly royals, no mean feat, and the historical references are fun.

MAKING PROGRESS
This is a HO game. There is a strong streak of adventure there too, but it is at its most logical. There are also a few puzzles (fast skip), and they are pretty straightforward. The progress is even and hotspots are pinpointed by sparkles. If you get stuck the interactive map will show you where to go – but it is not a jump map.

The HO scenes are visited twice, and are slightly interactive lists. Hint is a bit slower than skip, but okay. There is a harder mode where both take longer and there are less sparkles.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I’ve reread what I’ve just written, and it makes the game sound flat. It’s not. It is interesting, you get to meet famous historical figures and the intrigues are amusing. No, it is not going to win any awards, but I guarantee that you’ll enjoy a few quiet hours with the British royals and their disputatious subjects.

I recommend this game!

Fishmania
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Fishmania on Aug 12, 14 10:01 AM
This is the only partial game so far I have had to delete. Just couldn't get into it- too dark, too frightening, Too hard. I like Titanic, Dark Parables,- although I don't like putting the items together in those- and Nutcracker, and Buckingham Palace though.
Have the full versions of BP, Nutcracker, and Titanic so far...
Getting more soon.

Go to: