poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Re:Comments for Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix Collector's Edition

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Apr 12, 12 8:33 AM
I just love Thursdays!! I USED to love Sundays too for the same reason....CE day! Anyway, it seems that we are only getting them ONCE a week now.....so much for topping up my punch cards quicker!

Anyway, loving this game!! Great graphics, music and gameplay. My only niggle would be the fact that I always play the games in Hardcore mode (if it's available)... and even this was far too easy. C'mon now, some of us really like to stretch the old brain cells ourselves rather than having them used for us! The puzzles were just toooo easy peasy........and YES sparkles showing HOG piles! For goodness sake.......hardcore means just that............HARDCORE: difficult, die-hard, extreme.

I am well into the game now, and probably not too far from the end but I don't really feel that I have experienced any "challenge" at all. That said, I am enjoying the storyline and general gameplay.

Hope the next one is A REAL STINKER!!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 12, 12 8:36 AM
Wow Bella! You play a lot faster than I do. I didn't use any hints or SG at all and no puzzle skipping , I played on the hardest mode, and I am estimating that it took me somewhere around 6-7 hours to complete the game and the bonus chapter. Kind of hard to gauge exactly as there were breaks along the way; a smoke here and there, grab a coffee there, something to eat there... but it took me a LOT longer than it took you to play this one. I thought it had a very good length to it. I enjoyed the mix of HOG scenes (the new type and the classic list type) and the mini games weren't hard but they were innovative. It's a great game in my opinion and not at all a tired theme/story line. Quite original actually. Good job ERS!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 12, 12 8:39 AM
textrekkie wrote:Thanks bella. The reason I asked about the list type is because the developer said on their web site that there was not a single HOS scene with a list.
I can't understand why they said that Trekkie because that is just not true. There are a mix of HOS in the game - the new interactive silhouette type and the classic HOG list type.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 12, 12 8:51 AM
Ers games are no longer my favorite as they were in the past. I did like the first few Hos, quite fun and different but I understand for the rest of the game its right back to junkpile style. I am also not a fan of their graphics. I prefer the clear crisp graphics as opposed to Ers smokey look. I always feel like there is a big fire somewhere and the smoke has wafted through the air. To me this game appears to be the same old, same old, typical of Ers, but I think it is worthy of puchasing as an SE anyway.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 12, 12 9:05 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Sassy! Hello ~ long time no see my friend. This is a really pretty game and not hard in the least but fun game play. I do love ERS I hope all is well with you.

Ozzie LOL about the "magical symbol" . This is a very old feature of games from a few years back, it just hasn't been used in a while. I am trying to think which games had this feature but I have played several. I hope you don't get modded, you aren't supposed to cut/paste/quote from other 'sources'. Just an FYI.

I also remember the use of "magical symbol" , although it was called
something else..It was used to find "glyphs" on the inside walls of a
castle and that's all my memory is dragging up for now. Less tedious
in this one as you do get a sound when you are close.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 12, 12 9:08 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Wow Bella! You play a lot faster than I do. I didn't use any hints or SG at all and no puzzle skipping , I played on the hardest mode, and I am estimating that it took me somewhere around 6-7 hours to complete the game and the bonus chapter. Kind of hard to gauge exactly as there were breaks along the way; a smoke here and there, grab a coffee there, something to eat there... but it took me a LOT longer than it took you to play this one. I thought it had a very good length to it. I enjoyed the mix of HOG scenes (the new type and the classic list type) and the mini games weren't hard but they were innovative. It's a great game in my opinion and not at all a tired theme/story line. Quite original actually. Good job ERS!

well i always play on casual, but even in casual, i expect more then 3 hours..to me a ce, in the easiet mode,,should be at least 4 hours, bonus more then a hour...about the only time i use hints is to make sure i am done in a area, and only skip puzzles i cant stand...like slider or std,s

btw, in casual,, bomus is less then a hour

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Apr 12, 12 9:19 AM
I kinda like it and I kinda hate it. That secret mark thing has got to go. Pretty childish IMO. Hope there's not many of them. I do like the HO scenes, although I got kicked out of the first one as soon as I had the candle, it didn't let me find the other shapes. I like the storyline so far. I will probably get the SE, but I will not buy a CE that has all the extras locked up after I buy it. My cursor also stalls out a lot, and I just got a new mouse. I will have to try the system cursor and see if that helps. I bought one of the cheapest laptops I could find, and it plays full screen for me, I don't know if the cheapness of my lappie would affect the cursor.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 12, 12 9:41 AM
I am loving this game, as far as I have gotten. I absolutely despise silhouettes in HOS, but the ones in this game are GREAT. I LOVE the HOS in this game - the ones with the silhouettes. What fun, the things you have to do.

I had rather hoped that all of the HOS were like this, but saw that peeps said they are going back to the normal lists. I suppose this was more of an experiment, to see our reaction to this new and unique way of playing HOS.

More of the same! is all I can say.

And regarding time of play... goodness, as always, I never listen to what others say how long they took, because I always take longer (stopping on the way to smell the roses). I tend to hang around scenes, look at the details, and wander around with my cursor, and then move on. So I always take longer than a lot of others gamers.
And it often feels like some peeps attack games as if it were a race with a "lets see how quickly I can manage to get through this game so I can tell the others how very short it is". Sorry, but this is how it often sounds to me. Almost like a boast: "I only took 2 1/2 hours", that sort of thing.

Also, I don't go into the game (after all, I bought the CE) with an attitude that says, "oh well... the bonus game will probably be short, as usual". Then I rather not buy the CE and wait for the SE. I like to have a positive mind, at least to begin with, and see how I get on.

Anyway... I am loving this particular game. Sorry for the rant.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Apr 12, 12 10:01 AM
This game was not the one I was hoping for but the game does have a different twist to the puzzles and the graphics are good. The voice over is very good. The story line is intriguing. I buying this one. ERS is still one of my favorite dev.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 12, 12 10:18 AM
I agree that people play at different rates of speed. That's why I always select the hardest mode and I never use hints or skip puzzles or use the Strategy Guide - I want the game to last as long as possible.

However, some games are more complicated than others and some games require more concentration or pull you in deeper with great stories or whatever. And then some games play the same all the time.

I don't believe anyone is trying to boast about a short time - someone merely stated the gameplay as it pertained to them. And anticipating the length of a bonus game by a developer is easy enough, especially if the developer has had many, many CEs. But even that doesn't mean a person doesn't hope to be pleasantly surprised.

pilimai729
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by pilimai729 on Apr 12, 12 10:21 AM
i think that "9 the Dark Side uses a magical amulet,too. The original Treasure Seekers also used a magic lens to find runes.

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Apr 12, 12 10:47 AM
I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who complain about not getting the entire strategy guide or a look at the extras before buying.
A demo is a free sample. Why should the developers give everything away for free?
How many other places do these people go where they look somebody in the eye and say, sorry your free sample isn't good enough, I want more.
Not too many I'd dare guess.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Apr 12, 12 11:42 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:See I like to immerse myself in the game when I buy a CE... I want to use the wallpaper on my computer... look at the art work... listen to any music files etc etc etc... WHILE I PLAY THE GAME. Afterwards? It's of no value to me. I'm usually bored with the game by then and ready to move on.

... what possible difference does it make to you whether I look at wallpapers/artwork etc before or after I finish the game since you get my money up front either way???

I agree! The non-gameplay extras such as wallpaper, etc., should be available from the moment of purchase. Then you're really having a full CE experience the whole time.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 12, 12 11:52 AM
I've often said that once the game is purchased, everything should be unlocked. Why should I be forced to play the game AND the bonus game before I can use the wallpapers and screensavers.

I paid the money, I purchased the game, give me what I paid for...NOW.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 12, 12 12:45 PM
Causal games- particularly HOGs- lack for value compared to other games you can buy and enjoy. D & E IHOGS have the added disadvantage of so many being churned out with the same exact gameplay and identical story , most of us do not care less now.

The developer promised something different and as pointed out - what is different?
The sign finder concept was used in Treasure Seekers many years ago and silhouette finding? yes interactive but too easy... all else the same.

I might also suggest if one wants to host a comments thread they do just that- second time i have seen poor form aimed at gamergirl and msfreddie copped it too for no reason other than having a difference of opinion ...

cheers!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 12, 12 2:37 PM
judyglenning wrote:
I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who complain about not getting the entire strategy guide or a look at the extras before buying.
A demo is a free sample. Why should the developers give everything away for free?

How many other places do these people go where they look somebody in the eye and say, sorry your free sample isn't good enough, I want more.
Not too many I'd dare guess.

Clarification of the facts ...

We complain about the Strategy Guide because they only normally show a couple of chapters ... we don't need to see what the rest contain just to know exacty how many chapters there are so that we can gauge the length of the game based on how long it has taken us to play the demo.

If you were on a budget and could only afford one CE every month or so you would want to know which would give you the best value for money, ie the longest, hence the comments you keep seeing but misreading.

We are NOT complaining about not being able to access the Extras when playing the demo ... we are complaining about being told that we cannot access the Extras until not only the Main Game has been played but the Bonus Chapter too EVEN AFTER WE HAVE BOUGHT THE GAME .

The ideal time to use Wallpaper and Screensavers are while you are actually playing that particular game NOT when you are playing a completely different one.

Perhaps you will now realise that we are NOT expecting the developers to give everything away for free, just to give us what we have paid for.

The only thing that should ever be locked once the game has been purchased is the Bonus Chapter in case it spoils the main game.

Tex ... I was a bit more verbose than you but I didn't see your post until just as I got to the end of typing this and am not going to waste my effort now LOL so am still going to post it.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 12, 12 2:56 PM
Cherb - LOL!

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Apr 12, 12 4:19 PM
I agree with gamergirl and textrekkie....if we have bought it, we should be able to access the extras immediately...just lock the bonus game is fine with me.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Apr 12, 12 4:23 PM
govegril wrote:

I might also suggest if one wants to host a comments thread they do just that- second time i have seen poor form aimed at gamergirl and msfreddie copped it too for no reason other than having a difference of opinion ...

cheers!

I agree

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Apr 12, 12 4:51 PM
This may be a dumb question, but then I'm feeling kinda dumb today. Must be the weather.

How long does it take BFG to demote a game from CE to SE?

I absolutely love Amber Maiden, and after playing the demo on this one, I know I love it too. I just can't afford Fifteen bucks for a game.

Kat

Go to: