Re:Reviews for PuppetShow: Return to Joyville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 21, 12 6:13 AM
I am a little slow to review this game..too busy playing it. Not sure why so many negative reviews early on but this won't be one of them.

I really liked this game. It's guirky enough to keep my attention and didn't disappoint at all.
Graphics- really well done. As always, ERS has fine artists who create interesting scenes that I'd like to roam into. Some seemed quite Europeon, as in old Europe, with the winding streets and againg stone. I don't know how these artists crank out gorgous scene after gorgous scene, but they do. As I usually say..Dev (ERS) pay them well, the artistry is a wonder to the eyes and visually that's what sells a game to me.
Gameplay- ok, it was a tried and true sort of gameplay..but if it ain't broke, why fix it? Your not overwhelemed with Hidden Object sites, just enough to give you a break from roaming and your "feet" ( mentally) are getting tirid of walking on the cobblestone..ahh, a HOG scene to relax to. The music changes at these scenes and I sit back and roam. again, the objects are beautifully rendered..in fact, one was a dark gray-black pot which I've been trying to draw myself in my real life and was strugging with..I stared at that pot.."how did they do that? and learned from the artists
at ERS. Thanks you all.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 21, 12 6:17 AM
Cont
the puzzles were a puzzle. There were some new ones which I wish I had the partience for and really did't like to skip them...but I believe I have the chance to give it a go again.
the hint button is a bit slow...I wish there had been a map, but somehow found my way around without it, Perhaps having a map makes one too dependant on it..not sure.
Liked the Extra game play but it could have been longer..it came to a end rather quickly. I think here ERS, you need to have given the CE buyer a bit more for their money.
So, in all, very enjoyable, nice to disappear in theis weird little land. I liked the involvement with the puppets but needed more..perhaps one to fix and hang out with?
Good game, good buy
kris

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 21, 12 9:37 AM
Awe drats. I really love the PuppetShow series of games, and this one again, a winner! Problem... I'll have to wait for the SE version, as I've already purchased a few too many CE's back to back. I don't even have to play the demo in this series, before deciding to purchase, but I don't know, purchasing too many CE's back to back? Hmm, maybe I'll change my mindanyway, and splurge again!!!

*Thinking*-- self restraint, discipline, control, etc. LOLOLOLOL Maybe, maybe not

Edited on 04/21/2012 at 9:38:46 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 21, 12 10:30 AM
Bink_In_AK wrote:I liked the series but I think trying to get another game out of the series was overkill. Just sort of feels forced, maybe that's not the word I'm looking for, but the game just didn't feel like a new game.

Sorry, I just can't go for a CE that feels trite or hackneyed.

Totally agree.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Apr 21, 12 11:55 AM
Great Game! I am a fan of the Puppet series from ERS..
I hope the Series continue!!
Thanks ERS and BFG!!!!

[Post New]by colorsplash on Apr 21, 12 5:55 PM
I don't care what all the detractors say I loved this game..............Even when I screwed up and had to start over I loved this game. I have been playing it for two days and I am thrilled with it...Still haven't finished. Great artwork great storyline lots of HOS and some wackadoo puzzles. The ability to skip what flabbergasts me. Hate the tool loop but otherwise best 14 bucks spent in a while.....Keep it comin!

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Apr 21, 12 11:09 PM
When I saw this game listed I alomst went to buy it, sight unseen, because as many have said here I LOVED the first two. They were some of my #1 top favorite games. The last one, not so much. I am so glad I didn't buy it without trying it because I really dislike this game.

::sigh:: Maybe "disappointed" would be nicer to say?

The HOG scenes are utter junkpiles on steroids, and in spite of this I just went click, click, click finding all the items. It was almost as if the things on "top" of the junkpile or a bit clearer to see were "the" items. As the trial went on, it was one HOG scene after the other and I bored of it quickly.

The riveting story and creepy little Bug-Girl-Puppet just seemed to be dumbed down and the game was overly easy. The graphics were nice but fuzzy-ish. I agree with many here that there was no heart in this game, just a rehash of old puzzles, old topics and nothing too creative.

I stopped playing the trial after 50 minutes and will wait for the SG. I will continue to wait with baited breath for a game that is new, creative, and doesn't have so many same-scenes in it that I sit going "Wait, have I played this already?"

seeme278
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by seeme278 on Apr 22, 12 9:06 AM
Maybe I'm just getting bored of the "same old same old," but I expected more from this game. I might have been able to stick with it if the "Tools" weren't so annoying to access. That unwinding business and the limited space to view your Tools (which would be "inventory" in any other game) appears to be a device just to make the game seem longer. Not buying it, one big yawn.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Apr 22, 12 11:09 AM
I, too, am a fan of the Puppet Show series. Have all the earlier ones and enjoyed them. Tried part of the demo on this one and enjoyed the game play in it as well. As usual, the art work is excellent. I especially liked one of the mini games. It was delightfully innovative. However, I agree with the many other posts about the fan-type inventory presentation. I find it to be awkward... especially when more than one item is needed for a mini puzzle. It won't stay open for more than one selection, so must be reopened again and again to get all the needed items. This was the one negative I noticed in my sampling of the demo.

If this is the final game in the series, I'm pleased that the theme of it is Felicia's wish to change events and herself.

Haven't purchased any CE's offered in this series up to now, but this time, I'm considering using game credits for the CE.

Thanks, Big Fish.

Classicaljazz

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Apr 22, 12 7:54 PM
I am a big ERS fan and love all their games for the most part. This is one time I am reviewing the game before finishing it because I hope to counteract a lot to negativity about it. I don't know what people expect, in this genre it is difficult to cover totally new ground (especially considering the fact that there are so many titles)--at least it isn't another find the missing spouse or lost child. I like the time travel theme. The graphics are beautiful, some of the music is familiar but there are new pieces, and the voice over are excellent. The animation is top notch. I have loved all the Puppet Show series and am glad that this isn't an grim as some other titles I've played which were downright disturbing. I want something creepy but not grotesque. This game would be appropriate for a young person. the violence is more suspenseful. The only Puppet Show Title that I'd not cared for much was #2 in the series but even that one I wouldn't pan. I'm eager to see how the story pans out.

Those with doubts should play the demo, I didn't because any ERS Game is a no brainer for me, I just click the buy button and hanker down for a top notch adventure with beautiful artwork and an engaging story. I am in it for the journey and to enjoy the story I don't want to get hung up and frustrated--the difficulty level is perfect for me and I've found some of the puzzles quite difficult. If you're bored with ERS games or HOGs in general perhaps you'd best pass this title up--but if you love such titles give it a whirl. I'd just been hoping for a new ERS title, it's seemed like such a long time since any have come out, so to me this was an answer to a prayer. Heck, I even stopped playing House of 1,000 Doors so that I could enjoy this one.

5-9-12: I've now finished the game, I rate it highly. Anyone who enjoyed the PuppetShow series should like this game. I liked the ending and thought that the artwork, animations, music and voice overs were top notch. Although the bonus game was unnecessary to have a satisfactory ending to the story, it is long and well worth the extra money. I am happy with this ending and don't really care if they continue this series--but I must say I loved the crazy Steampunk vision of it all.

Edited on 05/09/2012 at 7:25:44 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Apr 23, 12 10:20 PM
Finished main game and I'm about to start the bonus game. I have such mixed reviews about this game so far i don't know where to start!! First of all, the graphics are as wonderful as other Puppet Show games. I really love the graphics and the creepy puppets! The graphics in the HOS, however, I did NOT love! I found, for me at least, some of the objects to be found, were not what I would have pictured and some I had no idea what they were by the name on the list. But then again, I dislike HOS!! I was surprised at how many mini-games I had a hard time with - aggravated me to no end. I have always enjoyed this series, but I have to agree with the reviews that say "enough is enough" I will finish my review when I am done with the bonus game. I must say, I do really appreciate the graphics of this series!!

feenix

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Apr 24, 12 2:57 AM
(Based on the demo) Brilliant and outstanding game! I have enjoyed the first one of the series, and this one is great as well! 5

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Apr 24, 12 8:31 AM
ERS is one of my favorite dev. I like the PuppetShow series. The graphics, voice-over and the HOS. The story line is very good. A buy for me.

Memonk
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Memonk on Apr 24, 12 12:16 PM
Found this to be very disappointing compared to previous. Sorry!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Apr 24, 12 1:49 PM
i like this game. i agree that it is part of a series, but i really like the series and found it to be like visiting an old friend that had some changes in her life. great graphics, good puzzles, not too difficult hogs. nice way to spend a few hours. i am glad i sprang for the ce. puppetshow games are some of my most faves.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on May 1, 12 6:06 AM
This was a very fun and beautiful game. It was only mildly challenging on the hardest level, although there were a few more difficult puzzles. The artwork was excellent, but the story left a lot to be desired, it was not very well developed or as centered on the main character as I had hoped. It was a very familiar feeling game and very similar to the other Puppet Show games, but I do always enjoy them nonetheless. The length of the game was good, and the bonus game was fine, but not quite as pretty as the rest of the game.

My complaints remain the same with this developer. I wish they would create their games in true widescreen versus the old 4x3 format - it is really about time they updated their old standard graphics format. Also, they need to quit locking wallpapers until the end of the game when they are useless, in my opinion, as I am on to the next game and won't use them at that point. At least they have finally created a slightly more difficult game play option, which is a step in the right direction...

BabyNurse123
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by BabyNurse123 on May 1, 12 2:45 PM
I love the game. Only one complaint, most all of the puzzles are too hard, with ambiguous instructions. Even the strategy guide drove me nuts having to number/letter columns and then following a long list of instructions. Aside from that, it is wonderful. Two thumbs up

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on May 1, 12 4:06 PM
Reviews seem to be all over the map.

Me, and here's another "based on the demo" reaction: Not close to being worth a "buy" unless another super-sale comes along. And then 'only' if the SE edition is available.

More of the same ERS. But there is no Joy in the Joyville series once she becomes the victim after three games as the villain. Not plausible.

Edited on 05/01/2012 at 4:07:36 PM PST

jessmom01
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by jessmom01 on May 1, 12 5:16 PM
It's interesting to me that here on the inside of the forum, by & large the reviews are more mixed, & often less "enthusiastic" than they are are in the main game page/customer reviews. I'm not at all starry-eyed over the (hopefully) final Puppetshow, but can't begrudge Puppetshow fans their last hurrah; more power to 'em. I only demo'd, & for an hour i was waiting to be surprised, delighted, enticed... didn't happen. Yes, the graphics are clear & colorful, voices are done well. The music, to me, sounds pretty much the same as in the other ones. HOscenes are easy, as were the puzzles/minis that i ran across during my hour. The story seems too predictable & gameplay too easy. The "formula" for these games has gotten waaay too old, and i just couldn't get into it. I wasn't a huge fan of the other puppetshow games, but they were ok, This one is just more of the same ol', That's what some folks were looking for, & i'm happy for those who like it. As for me, I just think after 4 serial games (or however many it's been), it's reasonable to expect some growth of some kind, whether technically, graphically, storywise... something, anything! All i got outta this game was bored. Bummer

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on May 4, 12 10:41 AM
Well I got excited when this game came up for sale so I immediatly bought it. All of thier games have been fun with really good adventure. As everyone has mentioned, great graphics etc. I am hoping this game will become more interesting the further along I go. I hate saying it, but I am becoming bored. Will see what happens, if I can continue to finish it.

Go to: