linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

Re:Reviews for Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum

[Post New]by linda43416 on Apr 30, 12 7:06 PM
Just wanted to add my opinion, I liked this game, the opening scene made me smile. It caught my attention right away. Yes, it is another dark, dreary asylum game, but I like them. Have always liked spooky movies, stories, etc. Must sell well because there are a lot of them! Had no technical problems during the demo. I did think that there were so many different directions to go that it was a bit confusing. Hope I can get a handle on the layout since there isn't a map. So many other nice additives that it seems petty to complain about no map, but would have been nice. Will be purchasing after the first of the month. As usual give it a try, nice that we have that option.

Edited on 04/30/2012 at 7:07:13 PM PST

Simsane
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Simsane on May 2, 12 12:32 AM
I really liked this game. So much in fact that I played it twice in a row. It was a short game for me but I still loved it. I played it on advanced mode and still saw sparkles, but that doesn't really bother me. What I loved was it seemed logical to me. I would find an item and just think for a moment and would have a pretty good idea where it would go but some items took quite a while before you figured out (and were able) to use them.

I mainly wanted to play a second time to try to find more of the morphing objects as I only managed to find 16 the first time. Still didn't find all of them the second time, only found 21 out of 22. Have no clue where I missed one, lol!

The first time I played, I wasn't able to get the elevator doors opened to be able to go to the bottom of the shaft but the second time I was able to. Why? Don't know. I figure I must have done something just a little differently that made it so it worked cause I didn't uninstall/reinstall in between playing.

Anyway, yes, I liked this game and felt it was a really good value for the money. (Especially since I used a PCC to get it!)

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on May 2, 12 7:51 AM
Just finished this game and I LOVED it!!! Nice challenge, good length, my favorite kind of life like graphics, interesting story line. Better than many of the CEs so it's a steal for the SE price. Great job developers!

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on May 2, 12 10:57 AM
At last finally finished it after so many problems, I did enjoy the game and glad I used a credit for it.

Now most of the problems have been fixed its a good game.

Although I still had in my inventory a jack, so no idea what that was supposed to be used for.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 2, 12 12:35 PM

Ehh, although cut scenes were impressive, overall, depressing environment and overdone plot, IMO . Pass.

~Fortunatus

Edited on 05/02/2012 at 12:36:14 PM PST

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on May 2, 12 7:51 PM
Wow! What a game and it was a good length too. I finished just under 8 hours (I had some trouble with a slider puzzle).

The graphics seemed so realistic that I was creeped out a couple of times in the asylum and was thinking eww gross in a few places. Which I consider a job very well done. Devs you did a great job on getting the atmosphere just perfect.

I was surprised to see so many tech problems people were having with this game, because it played perfectly for me.

eta...I completely forgot to add that it's so AWESOME that we can use the wallpaper right from the beginning of the game.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 4:00:29 AM PST

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on May 3, 12 4:26 PM
I just finished this one and enjoyed playing it. My only bad comment is why do they make these games so dreary and dirty looking. I can't imagine anyone staying in a place quite that bad.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on May 3, 12 8:49 PM
I have no problem with creepy, dreary, rainy etc. But as some have said, I'm having a helluva time with the HOS. I keep adjusting the screen brightness and moving my laptop screen back and forth and they are just awful. It does help that the hint button recharges quickly, even on advanced mode. I really want to play this game as I've got the credit, but I'm wavering.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on May 4, 12 10:35 PM
First, I'm a beginner. That being said, I loved playing this game. When I saw the dream I knew I was in for a treat because I used to be terribly afraid of elevators. I wouldn't even go up one floor in one. Later on in the game I found another phobia I had as a child (and admit I still kinda have). I thought the game was very creepy and scary in parts and I don't scare easily (not even elevators anymore - well, if I had to go up 50 stories I would still be terrified).

I liked the morphing objects although I only got half of them. That was my fault. I wasn't looking for them. I'm not sure how I could have found out about them without going through a tutorial and I didn't want to spend any time being told that sparkling lights mean that I should investigate that area. I guess I should check the reviews instead. I thought the graphics on the HOS were horrible until I discovered that I could change the brightness. That helped a lot, although there could still be some improvements in that department.

The games were a bit simple.

The Hint Button filled up so quickly that I had to force myself to not rely on it. When using it in places other than HOS it didn't help much. Sometimes it would show an area but I either couldn't access that area or when I did access it I couldn't do anything and the Hint Button would tell me there was nothing to be done. I still don't know what I was supposed to do with the car trunk. I'd been there ten times trying to find anything new but I kept getting that hint.

The storyline is great. I loved it. There are a few nice surprises in store. The music and environmental noises are so-so, nothing new.

Glitches? Yes, unfortunately. I ran into a few and have read of others that I didn't run into. And that's a shame because the storyline itself makes this a great game. I don't usually enjoy playing a game as much as I enjoyed this one.

I give it four out of five stars just because it's worth it to deal with the glitches and little problems. It's so much fun to play and it's creepy. I'm very glad I bought this game and highly recommend it.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on May 5, 12 11:33 AM
great game. love the amenities of SG built in, task list, morphing objects, added to great graphics, decent hos and some pretty good puzzles all in an SE! good job, dev's! i had no problems with this game, but do hafta mention some semantics that were pretty funny. in the nurses office i clicked on a comb, a flute, etc looking for the 'hummer'. hint showed me a hammer. later in a side room i was looking for a heat bag. hahahaha anyway, it was very much fun at a great price and i thoroughly enjoyed it. keep these kinds of games coming!

aperry423
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by aperry423 on May 6, 12 1:26 PM
I liked this game. It was fun after the glitches were fixed. It had an unexpected plot twist at the end, and a pretty good ending. The cut scenes are not for the faint of heart. The game story doesn't leave a bunch of loose ends untied. That being said, I wonder about the possibility of a sequel.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on May 7, 12 5:31 AM
I like this game. The graphics, the story line and the plus being the in game guide that stays open to the page you just left. The background music is not bad. The hint button on the casual mode is fairly fast. The SE price makes it better that some CE versions.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 8, 12 1:59 AM
I think the devs missed the point of a hidden object game. You're supposed to be able to find the hidden objects! And since I don't know what a morphing object is, I didn't see any, and didn't collect any. Oh, well. Not for me.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 8, 12 6:46 AM
i am not a big fan of morphing, did not care for the story, and even on my 27" hi def. monitor i found some of the hidden objects almost impossible to find

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 8, 12 6:46 AM
i am not a big fan of morphing, did not care for the story, and even on my 27" hi def. monitor i found some of the hidden objects almost impossible to find

tntbledsoe
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by tntbledsoe on May 8, 12 6:04 PM
Just stopping by to tell you thank you for listening! I don't mind revisiting the same hidden object site multiple times, but it absolutely drives me CRAZY when the same objects are there again and again as though I never found them the first time. I almost jumped for joy when I revisited a hidden object site and the ones I had previously found were GONE!!! Thanks for the realism and for listening

tntbledsoe
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

To the Developers

[Post New]by tntbledsoe on May 8, 12 6:04 PM
Just stopping by to tell you thank you for listening! I don't mind revisiting the same hidden object site multiple times, but it absolutely drives me CRAZY when the same objects are there again and again as though I never found them the first time. I almost jumped for joy when I revisited a hidden object site and the ones I had previously found were GONE!!! Thanks for the realism and for listening

shaferc
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by shaferc on May 9, 12 4:04 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Really had to remember where everything was. (A good thing!)
We jumped out of our seats when opening some of the doors.
To us it was challenging. We played in expert mode and found it to be provoking, but ideal and fun.
The way the game ended was unexpected but fit into the story.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on May 11, 12 7:23 PM
I finished the game, and was very impressed with the story, the graphics, the music was creepy and so was the doll. That scared me! It is genius to me how these gamers put these games together and even tho alot of people had issues with this game, this WAS a good game and I'm glad I purchased it.
It is one I would and will play again.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on May 12, 12 3:35 AM
Tried twice with the demo on this one, didn't use all the time. After getting stuck in one place and unable to do anything, read the technical thread and saw I wasn't alone and there were all kinds of other glitches reported. There was apparently a new version released May 1st, but the one I just quit playing has only been downloaded a couple of days.

Aside from the glitch I had, I am disappointed about this game because I love creepy settings, especially hospitals/asylums. Having a SG with an SE is new to me and a plus, but I found it impossible to figure out which places to go and where. Some games are linear and you have to go a certain route, some games are non-linear where you can pick where you want to go and you find things and some you can use and some you can't and some things you can't do yet. This game somehow combines both linear and non-linear. You can go to a lot of different locations but you only do one thing in one place, then you have to go to another place to do one thing and so on. To-ing and fro-ing is not new to me; Dire Grove and Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets probably get the prize for the most of that and I love both games. But this game reminds me too much of Escape from Ravenhurst, where you get things and have no idea what to do wtih them without the SG/WT, and even then you can't necessarily figure it out. I went to one location where there was something that needed doing, and went through pages of the SG trying to find it; finally gave up and went somewhere else.

I played Agency of Anomalies: Cinderstone Orphanage in no time at all and it had no SG. Not as creepy a setting but at least I could figure things out (and didn't get stuck [literally] in a room with no way out).

Recently played Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium for the millionth time; there is an excellent game about an asylum. Spooky graphics, creepy music, and even the first time I hardly had to use the SG. Devs take note: SGs and WTs are nice, but I want them as a last resort when I can't figure out what to do, not something to constantly have to refer to because the gameplay doesn't make sense!

Have a coupon to spend; will use it for something else. Too bad, this was at the top of my short list; the first time I played it I had monitor issues but have a wide-screen monitor that solved that problem. Too bad the monitor couldn't fix the rest of the difficulties.

Oh, well, at least there's a sale for Mother's Day.

Go to: