care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper Collector's Edition

[Post New]by care___916 on May 11, 12 4:12 AM
I had to purchase before the demo was done. I have several games from this dev. I agree with all of the positive reviews.

artwork/graphics were just fantastic, loved the voices!! Was hooked on the storyline right away in the demo. I am not a frog/frag fan because they usually are the same color as the background and I have a hard time finding them. This game was easy on old eyes.

Great SG, it kept your place! The bonus took me about an hour to play and wish it had been a little longer, I am a slow player..study the artwork on every scene which slows me down.

Glad I purchased this game. Give the demo a try.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on May 11, 12 4:39 AM
As usual, Blue Tea delivered, big time. An absolutely splendid game all round. I read a few negatives but totally disagree with them. There is nothing to criticize in this game, it's perfect in every way and has a terrific BC that would satisfy anyone's tastes.

I had 6 hours of pure fun and enjoyment, while immersed in the beautiful graphics and wonderfully told story. Everything about it just hit the spot.

These guys are masters of their craft, no doubt about it.

Blue Tea rules.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on May 11, 12 5:29 AM
I agree with the last two reviews. This is a very good game. The story line, graphics, voice-over and puzzles. This dev has hit a high mark with me. A definite buy.

Edited on 05/11/2012 at 5:32:08 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on May 11, 12 5:57 AM
shagwendy wrote:<a href="http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/209948.page#4268200">[removed by Moderator]</a>

I guess I have to word it differently because I really want the developers to understand.... This is a nice enough game, but because of the lack of FROGS and because the extras aren't unlocked upon purchase I won't be buying this game. Other than that I thought it was very pretty and fun.

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on May 11, 12 7:20 AM
I have been waiting for the next Blue Tea game and now I am very disappointed. I happen to love the FROG games and adored their magnificent Fabled Legends trio. This was a rather mundane HOG game. It is run of the mill and the graphics weren't up to the usual standard for this company. Added to that, the room map displayed in mirror image and gave very little indication of where to go next.

This was a ten sneaker game, with a lot of walking back and forth. I bought it as I was just hoping there would be a FROG scene later, but no, not unless you want to include putting back togeter a statue, where the pieces seemed to jump into place anyhow.

I guess I won't be bothering with BT games again, not unless they bring back the FROGS.

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 11, 12 7:21 AM
I played the demo on "normal," the middle setting for difficulty.

I'm also a big fan of Blue Tea, but I found it disconcerting that the beautiful FROG's I associate with this dev. had completely disappeared to be replaced by somewhat clunky HOS's -- the little hand kept appearing on items that were clearly not to be used in the immediate scene, but apparently in a later scene. I did like the unlock feature for one last hidden object when all the others were collected. However, since you can (and are prompted by the little hand to) pick up items which are not necessarily used during the present HOS, it gets pretty confusing as to what is an item meant to be completed before you can collect it, and what is just something you can ignore for the moment. In searching through scenes, I found the magnifying glasses encompassed pretty large areas, which could overlap with other things to be investigated if you weren't extremely careful. I couldn't find that the SG showed this game's version of morphing objects, and I found one, but couldn't identify any others before the trial ran out. The SG is helpful, the cat hint, although cute, is totally unhelpful out of the HOS's, a nothing to be done here at this time response, which at least is something, but if there is a lot of running around, it could be pretty dreary without the SG. The map is o.k., particularly in combo with the objectives button (underneath the hint button) -- on its own the map isn't that useful, at least at this point in the early stages of the game. Someone was unhappy about the spelling of Hamelin -- I've seen it spelled both Hamelin and Hamlin -- and as for the person who really hated the rats (I happen to like rodents, but not waves of them, so I can understand), this is, after all a modernized (into the 19th c.) version of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Which involves rats. Anyway, I'm intrigued enough to get it, since I have 2 credits, but Blue Tea, you need to correct some things for next time -- and please bring back at least some of the FROGS.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 11, 12 11:21 AM
nice nice game..havent started the bonus yet as I think I'm hitting an error (no hints), but others wise, the game has run seamlessly.
What awesome graphics..just gorgous. One could oggle at these for hours, and I do.
Smooth gameplay..a little confused on where Im spose to be, but the wandering is fun...so what the heck.
Hint button, the the grey cat worked well, didnt need it all that much except towards the end..and then the cat kept her back to me.????Hope it is not a glitch.
Its games like this one that keeps my pockets empty...ah well
kris

purplecat8
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by purplecat8 on May 11, 12 11:29 AM
A big disappointment. As a longtime fan of Blue Tea Games, I can say this is the worst game so far, far inferior to the wonderful, amazing Briar Rose.

Instead of the usual beautiful scenes and intriguing, interesting puzzles, we have a desolate, rat-infested town, and the puzzles are few, unvaried, and uninteresting. Sorry, but there are enough other developers putting out games that are dark and grim that we don't need you to go that route.

In contrast, the bonus game was beautiful and the puzzles were much better. I enjoyed the 1 hr. 15 min. I spent playing it more than the 3 or 4 hrs. I spent playing the main game. More like this, less like the main game, please.

As a side note, I was very amused in the bonus game that although it is set in Germany, the policeman on guard was a very English bobby, complete with "peeler" helmet and cockney accent.

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on May 11, 12 4:48 PM
...what Nancy said I also didn't like that you couldn't click cut scene scenes to make them flip through faster. You either had to skip it, period, or sit through what I thought was a veeerrrryyyy slooooooowwww mini-movie. That and the constant yappy-yap things popping up on the top every time you clicked something ("Oh look! I have found a box!") just made things disjointed. I adore Blue Tea games as a rule.

I will wait for the SE

NancySusan wrote:I played the demo on "normal," the middle setting for difficulty.

I'm also a big fan of Blue Tea, but I found it disconcerting that the beautiful FROG's I associate with this dev. had completely disappeared to be replaced by somewhat clunky HOS's -- the little hand kept appearing on items that were clearly not to be used in the immediate scene, but apparently in a later scene. I did like the unlock feature for one last hidden object when all the others were collected. However, since you can (and are prompted by the little hand to) pick up items which are not necessarily used during the present HOS, it gets pretty confusing as to what is an item meant to be completed before you can collect it, and what is just something you can ignore for the moment. In searching through scenes, I found the magnifying glasses encompassed pretty large areas, which could overlap with other things to be investigated if you weren't extremely careful. I couldn't find that the SG showed this game's version of morphing objects, and I found one, but couldn't identify any others before the trial ran out. The SG is helpful, the cat hint, although cute, is totally unhelpful out of the HOS's, a nothing to be done here at this time response, which at least is something, but if there is a lot of running around, it could be pretty dreary without the SG. The map is o.k., particularly in combo with the objectives button (underneath the hint button) -- on its own the map isn't that useful, at least at this point in the early stages of the game.

sunny64
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by sunny64 on May 11, 12 8:58 PM
I am another player so disappointed with the new format and no FROG items.
I agree with others that Blue Tea always were so special for this format. I bought and downloaded without trial.
This game is a good quality game.
I'm just sorry that I didn't trial first as the game is now among others for quality.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on May 12, 12 12:42 AM
I enjoyed this game, while I found it not too terribly complicated, I also found it to be completely engaging. I played in the Normal setting, which is the medium setting, and it took me 3 1/2 hours to complete the main game. 3 1/2 hours may seem too short to regular players, and usually is to me too, but somehow today I found that time to be just right.
Graphics - beautiful and detailed. I love when you spend a few moments in each scene just enjoying the varied details of it.
Story - Gotta admit I found this slightly disappointing, yet I found myself engrossed and engaged nevertheless. I enjoy the darker stories, and really, compared to some, this one was rather tame.
Voice acting - All were right on. No complaints really. At least one was an obvious American putting on a cockney accent, but certainly not the worst I've heard.
English language usage - there were several spots of incorrect grammar or word usage, but not frequently enough to be a turn-off.
HOGs - Pretty easy, but I frequently found myself searching for that last item that I just couldn't see. I enjoyed the interactive items and while it was a tad confusing at first when I realized there were objects that I could pick up that I couldn't actually utilize, I quickly became accustomed to it and just concentrated a little harder. It actually provided another level of difficulty to the same old HOGs. I didn't miss the FROGs at all, never been a huge fan anyway.
Puzzles - while these started out way too simple for my taste, there were some more complex as the game progressed. There was even one that I thought I might not complete, but toughed it out and managed to make it through. There were no typical slider puzzles, which I detest, so kudos for that!
Morphing/"Fabled" objects - I am always a fan of morphing objects. My only complaint is that there was no counter, so I had no idea how many I had found or had yet to find. There wasn't even a count at the end of the game. Please consider including a counter, devs! They are, however, listed in the strategy guide. They have their own chapter, "Fabled Objects", near the bottom of the table of contents. Also, keep in mind, they may not appear the first or even second time you arrive in a scene, so keep checking!
Hints - Can't comment, as I never dipped into them (though I did dip into the SG). Apparently the hints recharge faster, each time you find a morphing object.

Edited on 05/12/2012 at 1:16:50 AM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on May 12, 12 12:50 AM
......continued
Extra "Magic" - I also liked that you could achieve extra "magical" powers throughout the game. I won't go into detail so as not to spoil anything. They added another dimension to the game play without being actual inventory items.
Strategy Guide - Easy to access and easy to find. Nice step-by-step instruction. Stays on the page you were looking at last, always a good thing.
Bonus Game - This was certainly worth the money to me! It took me 1 1/2 hours! Almost half the time of the main game. It certainly is not at all integral to the story line, so you could easily do without, but it had some of the more enjoyable parts of the game.

Sorry this ended up so long! I'll stop here and just say this was certainly not the most complex or most challenging game I've ever played, but it was an enjoyable 5 hours and I feel I got my money's worth.

ETA - forgot to add, BIG Kudos to the developers for the dual PC/Mac release. Can't tell you how tiring it is, as a Mac player, to always feel left out of the good games! Thanks for this!!

Edited on 05/12/2012 at 1:21:54 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 12, 12 5:26 AM
this is a blue tea game and i am actually disappointed, the game did not get my attention. i will pass on this one.--------doug

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on May 12, 12 11:11 AM
Very well done game! I like the blue tea's games usually a lot, but this one made me just sad, maybe is the period of time in which the story is located, maybe is the anwry music, and that really spooky man, I don't, but I am not in the right mood at this time, so I pass on this one! However I must give a for the excellent guide, puzzles and artwork! Happy gaming to those in the mood!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 12, 12 3:08 PM
I just finished the game, and what an excellent game this was. And I am really happy that the objects to look for in the HOS were of a different colour and shade than the background and easy enough to find - a first for me where Blue Tea Games are concerned.

I also very much enjoyed playing the bonus game. Loved it.

ETA: I agree with WilJul and others who have mentioned this about the spelling in this game. I was rather surprised and wondered if this has been a rush job, because I don't recall having seen any words spelled wrong in previous Blue Tea games.

Edited on 05/12/2012 at 3:11:38 PM PST

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on May 12, 12 5:34 PM
(Removed by Moderator)

Edited on 05/21/2012 at 12:32:30 AM PST

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on May 12, 12 6:23 PM
I like this game and although FROGs are fun, I don't hold the HOS again the devs, although I wish we knew the reason for the mysterious objects that move but don't interact with anything in those scenes.

I had to use the SG a lot, but often use a SG/WT a lot the first time I play a game.

The puzzles were good, and I am not a person that finds puzzles easy as a rule. Some are easier to me than others but I didn't have to skip what was in the demo.

Map wasn't useful to me, but they never are. Often they show no "areas of interest," even though you know you need to do something because you are stuck. I prefer to draw my own maps (a legal pad works fine, although some games have gone onto a second page depending on how many locations there are). That way if I need a key in the first location in a game and the key doesn't show up till 3/4 through the game, I can see where I need a key or keys).

Rats don't bother me a bit. Or spiders. Or demons for that matter. It's roaches that get me!!! (wasn't it RTR where you have to use the bug spray? Horrors!

And I would like to have a dollar for every person who thinks the protagonist looks like Johnny Depp! I know that during the game his face is covered by a mask, but when you choose your difficulty level his face is completely shown. Jack Sparrow without the pirate costume.

I'll probably get this as a CE (I usually get SE's) because I bought credits at the 1/2 price sale.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on May 13, 12 8:15 AM
I have loved all of Blue Tea's games and this is no exception. Yes, there are rats, but I didn't care. The story is well done. The HO scenes do have things that you can pick up but are of no use...I didn't care. The graphics are beautiful and though darkish, I can see them on my older monitor without straining....unlike several recently released games. The music was not annoying or boring. The SG stays where you left it. The game is fun to play. I demo'd another game this morning that I was not sure of....this one I AM sure of and will probably buy the CE and I am really really really picky about spending money on a CE when the SE will do.

[Post New]by applepeachjicama on May 13, 12 6:07 PM
I bought the game, and I could care less about FROG/HOG, I just thought the game was kind of boring. Graphics were nice, but not really a good game if you ask me.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on May 14, 12 2:23 PM
I don't know what happened, I enjoyed the demo, so I purchased the CE, just finished the main game, and just couldn't wait, for it to be over.
The graphics were beautiful, BUT I was just bored to death, I hate to not finish a game, so it took everything I had to keep going, in this one.
There just wasn't any wow moments for me, talk about wearing out sneakers, this was constantly going back and forth, to collect one item, and than rinse and repeat.
I did enjoy BTG when they had the FROGS, I thought they did them so well, so was missing that aspect, for sure.
But this felt so cookie cutter to me, I don't even think, FROGS would have done it.
I like to feel some excitment, when playing a game, so maybe that is the reason I was bored to tears, it just felt like I was collecting items, one after another, take 6 steps back, collect, take 6 steps forward.
I love having special things to use, like the flute, the crow etc, but for me, you really didn't get to use them enough, through the game, so it felt like they were just thrown in there, like someone else said, it just felt disjointed.
I realize a lot of hard work and effort, went into making this game, yes it was beautiful to look at, but beyond that, it just wasn't my cup of tea, my mood was completely monotone throughout the entire game, and it just felt like a mundane H0G, to me.
Sorry, this is just MHO, of course, I am happy for those that enjoyed it

Go to: