apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

Re:Reviews for Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by apples16951 on May 27, 12 9:26 PM
I read all the other reviews before posting mine. I agree with some of the complaints - the lip synching was WAY off with the live characters, and it was kind of weird when they morphed into cartoon characters. The gardener really got on my nerves. He's a pretty young guy, and his voice sounded like he was 75 years old. And when he started whistling....grrrr!

I thought the story line was really interesting. Those of you with young children might want to think twice before allowing them to play due to the mature theme of the story.

I would have liked to jump to the active locations on the map instead of constantly backtracking.

But those are minor issues for me. I LOVED this game!!! Wow!! It's very lengthy; lots of locations to explore and lots of things to do. The puzzles were fairly easy; I only skipped two of them because I didn't understand what I was supposed to do.

I love the graphics. The scenery is beautiful and very detailed. It was a delight to explore each new area.

Thanks for another intriguing, totally absorbing game. Two BIG thumbs up.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on May 27, 12 10:14 PM
Wow! was this a great game. Just finished the primary game, and still pending to play the bonus round. It is a nice, loooong game. There is a lot of interaction in this game. And I gotta say... I'm really loving the real people interspersed into the graphics, that many game developers are starting to do. The cut scenes were really good.

There is one thing I noticed, and wonder if anyone else has, and that is...
The voice of the maid-pseudo sister, sounds very much like the voice over in the Nancy Drew games, for the character who plays Nancy Drew. I could be wrong, but it sure sounds like her to me. If I'm correct, and if the real person/character in this 'Death on the Silver Screen' game, who plays the maid, and as depicted in the cut scenes is her, then we now know what Nancy Drew looks like in real life! Ha Ha! Her identity as far as appearance, has been deliberately kept a secret in all of the ND games!!! he he. :

*Ok, so I may be mistaken, but really listen to the voice in this game, and see what you think. The company that makes the Nancy Drew games is an entirely different company then the one that made this game, but who knows, maybe they borrow & hire character voices from everywhere in the gaming industry. Maybe the gal in this game, is not even the one behind the voice. Maybe the voice and the real person character shown in this game, are two different people. Ok, I'm just rambling on now with my ponderings... it is late, and I'm tired. I just find it amusing if the big 'SECRET' got out. So many ND gaming fans, for years, have wondered what Nancy Drew looked like, but it has been kept a secret, and remains a mystery. It's just one of those silly things, that is not important at all, but still has kept many die hard Nancy Drew gaming fans consumed with neverending curiosity.

Anyway, this was a good game, and I still have the bonus to play.

Edited on 05/27/2012 at 10:47:10 PM PST

CplDave
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by CplDave on May 28, 12 6:55 AM
lilTweet7: Risking off-topic, so I'll keep this brief. The person who did most of the Nancy Drew voices is an actress named Lani Minella. For pics, you can find her page on the IMDb web site.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on May 28, 12 9:05 AM
This game is one of the best yet, I know there are many games out there but these DEv's out did themselves..Thank you DEV's for all the hard work and many hours I do hope you have more games like this one to offer us in the future, I am having many hours of fun..Thx BF for making the fishes in the pond happy..

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on May 28, 12 9:08 AM
Ah thanks CplDave... I will have to check it out, but then again, maybe not. Hmm, not sure I should peek, and ruin the mystery for me after all these years. Oh, those decisions, decisions LOL. You know I most likely will though, ha ha. Thanks!!!

CplDave
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by CplDave on May 28, 12 12:50 PM
lilTweet7, You have an excellent ear! I checked the credits at the end and it was the very same Lani Minella who provided the voice for the Maid in this game.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on May 28, 12 1:00 PM
Shriek! not for me at any price.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on May 28, 12 8:37 PM
Valdy wrote:This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over for the characters only.

There are live characters.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

The DIARY, which holds the Map is at the left.

In Easy mode, the MAP shows where you are as well as actions and objectives.
In the harder mode, only objectives are indicated on the MAP.
The MAP can't be used to jump to different locations.

The GUIDE is just below the DIARY, and just above the MENU button.
The SG (strategy guide) only shows the first 2 chapters, and stays open where you last left it open.

The HINT button (in the shape of a film reel), which also works outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is at the right.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) could have had clearer graphics, but are acceptable (except when they have added sun gleaming into the scene, which makes it harder for me to see clearly).

The HINT button only takes 30 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button only takes a short time to fill in Easy mode.

There are ACHIEVEMENTS for all kinds of things you do.

--- --- ---

This is a very busy game. Apart from the main gameplay you can find 10 of this and 20 of that, and 10 more of something else, to make the game more interesting.

I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement when playing the trial, but when I found my first "10 of this", I got interested, because those are the things that make it more fun for me.

I don't think I will get the CE, unless I hear a large amount of praise for the bonus game. Otherwise I will get the SE.

I totally agree with you Valdy, I am on vacation and when the "so called Sale" came up I was really excited - not even for a NON MEMBER price of 9.99 was this game worth the money. I even tried it for two different days and the fact that I was "on vacation" ahhhhh Dev's i will wait for a DD I wont even go for the se sorry JMO!!

Lean

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on May 29, 12 1:11 AM
timbermoon wrote:

It switches back and forth between animated and live on the same character, and the lip movements are just horrible. So is the voice acting. The maid at the beginning sounds (and looks) like a mannequin someone is manipulating from behind.

I'm happy someone else noticed this inconsistency . I was beginning to think I was the only one turned off by this. Cause it was at this point, I turned off the demo, and refused any thought of purchasing the game... even as an SE.

Edited on 05/29/2012 at 1:16:26 AM PST

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on May 29, 12 3:16 PM
I was interested enough and this was different enough to go ahead and purchase. I like the style and the story - based on the demo.

While unusual to have a live actor morph into an animated one, I actually like seeing the rendering of it. Since I like to draw movie / tv stars for fun and create Sims to look like friends and family, I can appreciate it. I like looking at the concept art in CE's too. What can I say?

I do like that it's different from the usual story lines and anticipate continuing on to see where it leads.

murphy1923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1923 on May 30, 12 4:48 PM
Loved this game!
The artwork was beautiful, and the detail in all of the scenes was outstanding. The hidden objects were about medium to find, occasionally an item eluded me for a while but I just kept searching till I found it.
The puzzles were not that difficult (btw I played in hard mode) but I enjoyed them because they were mostly different from the usual.
I rarely pay attention to the story, but this one intrigued me, and pulled me in.
The CE has bonus play of course, but I particularly liked the movie of the making of the game - fun stuff.
Highly recommend, though you could wait for the SE.
I'll definitely look for more from these developers.

Bevwhiskey
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Bevwhiskey on Jun 3, 12 9:13 AM
Almost gave this game a miss, nothing initially appealing about the game, but a slow lazy Sunday afternoon with nothing else interesting so thought I would give it a try.
I LOVED[u] the demo, the time just flew by! It kept my interest, found the map really helpful, don't need a walkthrough if I can figure out where to look for the next objects. Puzzles have slighlty different objects than usual so makes a nice change. Glad that there is no demons, ghouls, graveyards at night or sinister pirates out to cut my throat. Ok, so some lip sync is out of sync, its a game! If it peaks my interest its a buy, even though am cutting down on CE's and waiting for the regular version, have bought this with the extra Mothers day credits that I have. Looked on another site to find the length (didn't want to buy to find was almost finished). I would really like anyone that finishes to post number of chapters and how many you get in the demo, would help a lot of us make a decision without a walkthrough or having to look at a competitors site. Maybe a BIG FISHY could include that info in the original post? Anyway, have been downloading while writing this, so back to the game . . . .

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 4, 12 1:35 PM
what a Game so awesome congrats DEV"s you did a outstanding game, Please make more like this game, I completed the game and wanted more..THx BF your the best for giving us fishes the best of the best games..this is a 10 star game..

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Jun 4, 12 9:48 PM
Pleasantly surprised at this. I played the demo expecting to be like that other movie HOG that stank. This one had great scenes & puzzles. I loved the graphics. Can't speak to the music since I had it muted. The story though was what made it compelling. Saving up my pennies to get the CE version!

PerfectSecty
Stingray
Stingray
4,983 Posts

[Post New]by PerfectSecty on Jun 5, 12 1:14 PM
YES!
Now this is what a CE should be.

I thought the story/writing was way above average for this type of game.
The puzzles were fun and not tedious or frustratingly difficult.
There was a good balance of HO's to puzzles.
*Possible Spoilers* 40 achievements including a mystery one.
Cards and photos to collect.
Lights that you have to find and turn on to earn the Lighting Lamps achievement.

I thought the voice acting was good and I liked watching a real person morph into an artist's rendering.

There are 7 chapters and 1 bonus chapter, all a good length.
The extras also include:
Wallpaper
Music
A "making of" video
2 bonus HO's
Replay cut scenes
Replay the puzzles
Replay HO's

It's hard for me to say if the main game is complete. I mean, it does complete the main part of the story but, the bonus game continues it further so it's a bit tricky.
One of the characters says something at the end of the main game that will probably make the SE buyers feel like they're missing something. Plus, there are so many extras, achievements and things to find. I don't know if they'll include any of those in the SE.

It's a good thing I don't have OCD because I just know that I will never be able to earn some of those achievements.

I liked everything about this game.
Even reading the credits was fun.
I don't think I've ever heard of these developers and I'm really looking forward to their next game.
You can tell that they love their jobs.

[Post New]by magdelenrose on Jun 8, 12 1:40 PM
Overall I like the idea and general aesthetic of this game. It's really beautiful! But I notice these points where live action actors would walk up, then shift into weird, 2d animated versions of themselves. And I guess my question is... why? If you had access to live actors and voices then why not utilize it? The shift between the 3d and 2d versions of characters is really jarring and ultimately I wish they had just kept in the live people.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jun 8, 12 5:47 PM
I enjoyed this game very much and really appreciated the long play of both the game and the bonus chapter. Some of the HOS were a little dark, which is challenging for these old eyes when I play for any length of time. Items were well hidden, although often not to scale. Not overly busy with going back and forth, which I really appreciated. The puzzles were challenging, but with thought, trial and error, were do-able. I think the directions could have been clearer. The hint recharge was quicker than most games I play in expert mode, so I really liked that! I also like that when you finish the game and complete the bonus chapter, you can play the puzzles and two of the HOS again! Great value for the money. I look forward to the eluded to sequel to this and will absolutely buy it!

ShazzaB
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by ShazzaB on Jun 10, 12 2:44 AM
Doesn't get any better than this game, in any way. The length of it is phenomenal and the CE (which I NEVER buy) is worth 2 credits.

Don't hesitate if you like IHOGs, you'll enjoy it immensely.

I read a couple of posts where people were whingeing about stupid things (real people turn animated! who cares?) and how it spoils a game for them. Your loss, miss out then.

ShazzaB
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by ShazzaB on Jun 10, 12 2:45 AM
MarkAlan wrote:
timbermoon wrote:

It switches back and forth between animated and live on the same character, and the lip movements are just horrible. So is the voice acting. The maid at the beginning sounds (and looks) like a mannequin someone is manipulating from behind.

I'm happy someone else noticed this inconsistency . I was beginning to think I was the only one turned off by this. Cause it was at this point, I turned off the demo, and refused any thought of purchasing the game... even as an SE.

Are you serious? You can't be serious?

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 2:46:33 AM PST

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jun 11, 12 6:36 PM
i have finished the game, thought it was ok, fun puzzles, good graphics, interesting story line, well done voice overs. For some reason it struck me as being part of a
formula, pretty cut & dried & dull. As always this is jmo, by all means demo it and see what you think!

Go to: