abiloo
Shark
Shark
11,080 Posts

Re:Rhiannon group play, starting 2nd June, all welcome to join!

[Post New]by abiloo on Jun 3, 12 2:22 AM
Okay not very far in and stuck ***All the things in my notes are checked off so don't know what to do next! I've started the fire, i got the flashlight but i go upstairs but can't get in any of the rooms.........i'm just at a loss ***

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 3, 12 2:50 AM
abiloo - You need to ** make the lighting upstairs more permanent than just the flashlight. Have you seen or picked up any other light source you could use? **

Well I went back in last night after saying I was stuck and managed to unstick myself, yay!! I had totally forgotten to ** look for the fireplace after reading Rhiannon's diary once I did that I moved on nicely enough and reached Chapter 2. ** Then I left it for the night. I've got some things to do today, so I won't be playing this until much later in the day. Will keep checking in here though.

Hope everyone is having fun,

Edited on 06/03/2012 at 2:51:29 AM PST

Aquatic
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Aquatic on Jun 3, 12 3:03 AM
Freka, good luck sleeping on the stairs, that area contains one of the game's many "Spooky Spots."

kazkaz, thanks for the pronunciation help. All I know about Welsh, I learned from Gavin and Stacey...and 'Nessa!

Hope I don't have to cook what I found in the freezer- Chicken and Tripe! Did I read that right?

I was ages translating the runes. The ghostly laughter everytime I made a mistake was making me think of Van Helsing's "Useless!"

This is an excellent story. Can't wait to see what happens next. Time for now.

Edited on 06/03/2012 at 4:55:01 AM PST

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jun 3, 12 3:08 AM
Hi all After struggling most of the day getting my computer set up (I didn't realize the memory sticks weren't completely clicked in ), I finally got a chance to start. I didn't do much, just wandered around the 1st floor. When I walked out of the kitchen and turned back around,* I don't know if it was a reflection in the window or was happening in the kitchen, but I saw what seemed to be an apparition.* I'm going to venture upstairs later.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 3, 12 3:48 AM
ETA: Well by chance, after I changed the resolution back to normal I clicked the wrong icon and turned the game back on. To make a liar out of me, the game is now playing in fullscreen with no black bars at all and not stretched either!
I think I've found the answer. There is a "maintain aspect ratio" checkbox which is ticked by default. That would give you a 4:3 game against a 16:10 monitor.
Unchecking it fills the screen. (Some stretching is unavoidable).

ETA I know why you don't have any stretching.

1920 x 1080 24" monitor

This is 16:9 (which is 4:3 scaled up). My monitor is 16:10 (1920 x 1200) so I do get some stretching.

Edited on 06/03/2012 at 5:26:06 AM PST

abiloo
Shark
Shark
11,080 Posts

[Post New]by abiloo on Jun 3, 12 4:57 AM
Thank you! I've now found the ***Lightbulb*** But seem to be at a loss what to do once again, Maybe i'm not cut out for these games and should just stick to ND!

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 3, 12 5:00 AM
abiloo - ** Have you used the lightbulb? If not you need to find something that it will go in, on the upstairs landing ** Nah you say that you aren't cut out for these games, but you said that about ND at first too! It's just a little practice and you get the hang of the way of thinking. You can do it

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 3, 12 5:38 AM
Still in chapter one and stuck.
Did quite some exploring and I am still constantly loosing my way I've now on my to do list ** clear overgrowth from old barn and find combination padlock. Been finding a lot of closed doors Have found the study key and have the mp3 player charging. have lit the fire (took me ages to figure out the correct order), fed the cat three times, still found two mice beside the cat's bowl. have read all of pryderi legend, found the note from Rhiannon in the book. Took me ages to find a bedroom upstairs Got a fogged up bathroom mirror with the message: Harken
Opened up every drawer, door and cabinet, read everything I could find and am now going aimlessly in circles. No clue what to do. And I am still having some troubles with the awkward controls of the game, with the kind of slide to slide movement (or what do you call it?), I sometimes have the feeling I miss things because they are in a 'blind spot' Is that possible?
Anyway could use a little help please.

Edited on 06/03/2012 at 5:43:14 AM PST

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 3, 12 5:38 AM
Ahh thanks Mr_Russ, I don't remember changing any settings between plays (other than changing the resolution but that of course doesn't mean I didn't!

Glad you got your computer back up and running smoothly after your upgrade jboliver.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 3, 12 5:48 AM
Ah. Popla, if you change your resolution back, you can make the adjustment in-game.

Edited on 06/03/2012 at 5:59:18 AM PST

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Jun 3, 12 6:23 AM
@Freka - I have had the same experience as you! I started to play this game months ago and do not recall having the navigation problems I am having this time. My save from the last time shows I accomplished something that I have no idea how or where I did it - LOL.

I have been wondering all over and am getting a long "To Do" list but not doing much. Oh well, one good thing is that every place I have gone is now accessible from the map!

abiloo
Shark
Shark
11,080 Posts

[Post New]by abiloo on Jun 3, 12 7:01 AM
*GULP* Ok so now i'm on ***Chapter two- and need to translate the code thingy and also need to so something with the mp3 player?*** So confusing

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jun 3, 12 7:24 AM
Welcome Freka I think I'm close to starting chapter 2 so can't help right now.

CFG - Have you found *Rhiannon's bedroom and taken notice of the piano?

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 3, 12 7:36 AM
@joyfullady I found ** a bedroom, are there more? This navigation is so confusion and I found a ** piano in a corner/niche of the sitting room. Are you saying Rhiannon's bedroom has one too?

[Post New]by kazkaz1957 on Jun 3, 12 7:38 AM
Hi Everyone

I'll try and supply a little help to those who are stuck.

Catfish girl - *** Your main task is to find out a little more about Jen's daughter, Rhiannon. There are several rooms upstairs, one of which is locked (the only locked door upstairs) and that's her bedroom. If you click on the door handle, you'll discover a puzzle (provided you have completed other tasks downstairs - which I think you have done). If you haven't found Rhiannon's room yet, it's at the top of the stairs, then left and immediately left again. You'll see three doors and it's the one on the far left. You've already discovered at least one clue to help you open Rhiannon's door but I'll not say any more unless you need more help. ***

abiloo - *** Once the MP3 player is on charge and you're in chapter 2, you may find it has some useful information for opening a lock if used in conjunction with some further information in Rhiannon's room. After that, you can forget about the MP3 until much later in the game. Have you managed to take the stone rubbing? Let me know if you need any further help with that and the subsequent translation. ***

I hope I'm not giving you too much info (or not enough) - tell me off if I am lol.

abiloo
Shark
Shark
11,080 Posts

[Post New]by abiloo on Jun 3, 12 8:13 AM
Thanks Kaz ***I have now translated the branch code thingy using the translator*** Slowly plodding along

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 3, 12 8:14 AM
I just finished the Ogam thing and my advice (which I learned the hard way) is *** save, save,save. Otherwise you have to start the translation over. *** So now it's onward ! ! Game is getting spookier and scarier .

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 3, 12 8:22 AM
Thanks Karen, I'll go have another look, I am in the good company of an Irish Coffee and I expect that to work wonders.

March_Hare
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by March_Hare on Jun 3, 12 8:26 AM
Hello all - checking in to say that I am playing and looking forward to the group play.

Thank you CfG and popla for organising these, welcome newcomers and hello Karen - I'm just as delighted as posters upthread that one of the game's developers is joining us.

I did start this game a little more than 2 years ago but my computer gave up the ghost (so to speak) mid-way; I lost all my saved games and never got around to re-starting it so this group play provides the perfect excuse (and opportunity).

I have to say I had a hard time finding the front door too (even on this, my second time out) but once inside, I had an enjoyable time reading the Ty Pryderi legends (and everything else I could get my hands on). I like a good story and lots of atmosphere and this game has plenty of both.

Thank you Mr._Russ for the info on the monitor settings. I never expected Rhiannon to be widescreen, but setting the monitor resolution to 1280x960 instead of its recommended 1920x1080 means I get a nice large screen in-game with black borders only on the sides and makes it a lot easier to read the books, magazines, emails etc.

As far as tips go - in translating the stone markings, I found it helpful to use a notebook and write the ogams down in three-character bits as I went - so if (when!) I made a mistake later on (and it's easy to do, especially in the fourth line where the crumpled paper/crayon etchings make it hard to count the cross-hatches in places) it was fairly fast to re-do - no need to re-count/redefine the hatchings, just re-enter them. It would have been nice if Jon's translator were a little more forgiving and only made us re-do from where we went wrong instead of having to start all over ...

I'm currently in Chapter 2, fairly late in the chapter I think and actually going around in circles at the moment ** trying to figure out what the notebook means by "Find the symbolic markings in the Magical Properties of Trees book" - I have the book; noted the symbols for each twig; have all 10 twigs; and two items in my inventory have symbols on them ** but may not get to play very much (until later on) today as I'm watching the French Open.

Edited on 06/03/2012 at 8:45:39 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 3, 12 8:51 AM
March_Hare, you can do better than that.
There is a Game setting screen before the game itself with three tabs (unless you selected Don't show this window again). They are Display, Sound and Accessibility. On the Display tab there is a checkbox ...

I'm stuck. My two outstanding tasks are find combination and clear undergrowth. I expect that the latter depends on the former.

ETA I've been upstairs but haven't found a **light-bulb ** yet on my travels.

Edited on 06/03/2012 at 8:53:46 AM PST

Go to: