findlaybears
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Re:Comments for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition

[Post New]by findlaybears on Jun 10, 12 11:05 AM
flowerchild44 wrote:I have to say I may consider this as an S.E. but am hesitating paying for a C.E.
I found the navigation between scenes very annoying looking at a blank screen, the hos came fast and furious with two in the first two minutes of the demo, the cigar in one was impossible to see, and I had to resort to the hint button, which does seem to refill quickly.I am sure many will enjoy this one, but i will wait for the S.E.

I had a problem locating the cigar also, but I went through the SG instead of the hint system to find it. Those who bought this game and are striving toward earning the Achievments may want to do it this way.

This brings up another "con" for the game for me, which is the HOSs. Not only are they not interactive, they also lack rotation of the objects (in other words, they are the same objects per scene for everyone, everytime).

As much as I love CEs, for now, this game just doesn't seem a buy.

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Jun 10, 12 11:25 AM
I was kinda surprised when I tried this game considering some of the comments. I found the graphics to be very clear and the color not bad. There was no lagging between scenes, but I suppose that's due to the fact that my laptop has oodles of Ram available, hence plenty of VM to run my games without glitches and slow-downs. The story was intriguing, the puzzles so-so and the hint system tolerable. But I have pretty much burned out on HOGs and so very rarely play them and when I do I'm hoping to find one that will really get my attention, but sadly this one doesn't. Oh well, guess it's back to playing Banana Bugs!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 10, 12 11:31 AM
berbse0909 wrote:Like it, at least until, say, halfway through Day 2.
Some of us have a life to live between gaming and now I don´t remember where the darn alchemy room is where I´m supposed to paint something red.
Wish there were a map to look at so that one can retrace one´s steps like there are in other games.
Can someone somewhere point me in the right direction please ? Thanks.

And here I thought all of us had a life between gaming----didn't realize just a "special few" had a life to live between gaming. Thanks for being kind enough to point that out.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jun 10, 12 11:35 AM
Good Grief... I have 5 game credits and every decent game has HO scene after HO scene. I'm so sick of them... I end up never finishing it or buying it at all.

Please developers.... cut down on the HO scenes or make them FROGS or just do something innovative with them rather than just throwing junk in a pile and giving us a boring list of items to find. It was fun 5 yrs ago but not anymore.

Every game is same old, same old. Scary occult HO junk piles and they want us to shell out the big bucks for that? Not me.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Jun 10, 12 12:45 PM
Sorry ...the HO's are to easy for me..and the plot is rather Borrrrrrring.. at 15.00 it isn't worth the price for me...I doubt I would even get it with free credits..

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Jun 10, 12 2:16 PM
I totally agree with those that didn't like the black screen between each location. It made me irritated as it disrupted the flow of the game, made it move slowly and tried my patience...I actually timed some of them and they are long. Other than that I liked it but not enough to purchase it now.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jun 10, 12 4:08 PM
I have read through all the reviews and comments and I am surprised that no one has mentioned that Charles Dexter Ward is the name of an H.P. Lovecraft story. The painting at the top of the stairs is actually Lovecraft. There are images of Cthulu all around the place, and in one of the pages found in the demo the Necronomicon is mentioned. How Dunwich managed to move from New England to Louisiana is a mystery, but then, horror is just a type of fantasy!

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jun 10, 12 5:53 PM
My apologies Pckiller. I was between doing the demo for your game and playing another. I mixed up the two when I said to do away with the zoomed areas once they were completed. Chalk it up to good old CRS. I used to be able to multitask very efficiently but anymore, I get confused and walk around with a glazed look in my eyes.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jun 10, 12 6:13 PM
From the sounds of the reviews, I guess I will wait for the SE. I have so very much respect to that forum. Side note, I tend to like 'stuff' other don't!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 10, 12 7:02 PM
I just finished it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of puzzles, especially in the bonus game, and it looks like there will be a sequel...yaaaayy! This one got even better the further I got into it. Kudos to the devs!! I know you put a lot of work into these scenes, and I really appreciate all of the eye candy. Those who only played the demo missed all of the good stuff. Can't wait for the next one

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 10, 12 9:36 PM
Hi PCkiller Nice of you to come in and talk with us. We never get feedback on our comments and reviews, so, appreciate it.

One of the things that so many of us are experiencing, which you have not mentioned, is the navigation lagging. I, like another has stated, have plenty of RAM, up to date drivers, Adobe etc., yet I am plagued by the lagging in your game. Is this something you could also tweak in your next build, or is it something that is down to different computers? It has always puzzled me why some people have it and others do not. We are all playing the same version of the same game, so why doesn't it play the same way for all? There have been many theories on this in the forums, none of which have panned out. One thinks it's one thing, another blames something else and so on. Many are convinced it's the game and yet some don't have it. Many games are this way. Do you have a theory?

Also, the cursor, it keeps freezing for long seconds at a time.

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 10:09:53 PM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 10, 12 9:54 PM
berbse0909 wrote:Like it, at least until, say, halfway through Day 2.
Some of us have a life to live between gaming and now I don´t remember where the darn alchemy room is where I´m supposed to paint something red.
Wish there were a map to look at so that one can retrace one´s steps like there are in other games.
Can someone somewhere point me in the right direction please ? Thanks.

You have to go down the hole in the floor in the back room to access the alchemy room. Back room is located on either first or second floor.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 11, 12 12:27 AM
mhatfie wrote:
Pckiller wrote:Hi fishes!

I'm one of the developers. And I would like to thank you all for you comments and reviews!

For those of you who afraid that the game has a lot of HO scenes:
the game has 8 HO scenes in the main game play and 3 HO scenes in the Bonus chapter.

We are reading all you comments and reviews. Keep them coming.
Kudos everyone!

Thank you so much for coming in, it would be nice if more devs did that. I appreciate your info on Ho scenes. I may give this game a second look.

There may be only 8 HOS in the main game, but how often do we have to revisit them? I would rather have more HOS and visit each one only once than having to redo the same HOS.

Pckiller
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Pckiller on Jun 11, 12 12:38 AM
Valdy wrote:
mhatfie wrote:
Pckiller wrote:Hi fishes!

I'm one of the developers. And I would like to thank you all for you comments and reviews!

For those of you who afraid that the game has a lot of HO scenes:
the game has 8 HO scenes in the main game play and 3 HO scenes in the Bonus chapter.

We are reading all you comments and reviews. Keep them coming.
Kudos everyone!

Thank you so much for coming in, it would be nice if more devs did that. I appreciate your info on Ho scenes. I may give this game a second look.

There may be only 8 HOS in the main game, but how often do we have to revisit them? I would rather have more HOS and visit each one only once than having to redo the same HOS.

The game has 6 HOS that are played ones, and 1 HO scene that is played two times on different days with different objects to search. Totals 8 HOS. Hope that helps.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 11, 12 4:18 AM
Pckiller wrote:The game has 6 HOS that are played ones, and 1 HO scene that is played two times on different days with different objects to search. Totals 8 HOS. Hope that helps.

SUPER !! The more I read, the more I am thinking of not waiting for the SE but getting the CE after all.

Thank you for your reply, Pckiller.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 11, 12 5:41 AM
I really enjoyed this demo and will probably get the SE as there are other CE's that I want more.

I see others had the same problem with this that I did. Changing screens goes to black! It did it so long one time that I thought the game had crashed!!

The game play itself was good but not great IMHO. It seems that you only have one task per scene so you are doing more traveling than anything else.

It was a definite improvement over the first games in the series. Not that I didn't enjoy those but games have come a long way since then.

Will wait for SE

Popped back in because I just read Pckillers post. I wish more devs would come in like that and give us some background Thanks!!

Edited on 06/11/2012 at 5:45:23 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 11, 12 6:27 AM
Valdy wrote:
Pckiller wrote:The game has 6 HOS that are played ones, and 1 HO scene that is played two times on different days with different objects to search. Totals 8 HOS. Hope that helps.

SUPER !! The more I read, the more I am thinking of not waiting for the SE but getting the CE after all.

Me too Valdy.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 11, 12 7:03 AM
mhatfie wrote:
Valdy wrote:

Me too Valdy.

Bought it.

Pckiller
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Pckiller on Jun 11, 12 7:16 AM
Valdy wrote:

Bought it.

I hope that you won't be disappointed

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 11, 12 10:38 AM
Pckiller wrote:
Valdy wrote:

Bought it.

I hope that you won't be disappointed

Just tore myself away from the game to say that I am really happy I bought the game.
There are thankfully blessed few HOS, all nicely spaced, and I am really enjoying myself. Have just started with day 3.

Go to: