ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jun 11, 12 5:34 PM
I was looking forward to this game. When I came back from a short motor home trip to the lake, I couldn't believe what I downloaded. This is sour grapes if I ever saw one. So sad, the whole game: story, graphics. all of it.

Not iterested at all. Boring.
No way am I going to pay the CE price for what looks like, a very third rate game.

Graphics bad, story bad, hints confusing, puzzles old style, just an overall uninteresting game.

For all those who enjoy....wonderful! Just not for me.

[Post New]by amnesiachild on Jun 11, 12 9:46 PM
I just finished playing the bonus game/extra gameplay. It has better puzzles than the regular game so the SE will not be as worth it as the CE. The game is based on a H.P. Lovecraft story. I liked reading the notes because I like reading. It gives the game the feel of the real story. The extra gameplay primarily takes place in a large cave with doors into branch caves. There is not a lot of running around so you can concentrate on solving the puzzles. I do have to use the Strategy in nearly all the games. I have a memory problem. If you do not understand how to use a strategy guide then think of it as nearly instant help instead of waiting for an experienced player to answer your pleas.
I believe this is a good game worth the price of a CE. If you wait for the SE you will not get the bonus game which, as I said at the beginning, is well worth it. For me, definitely.

[Post New]by own2sphynx on Jun 12, 12 12:14 AM

Edited on 06/13/2012 at 2:49:07 AM PST

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 12, 12 3:09 AM
EXCELLENT ! Great Game. Clear, sharp graphics. very difficult puzzles and a good story. Enjoy. Thank you BF

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 12, 12 11:10 AM
Boy, what a lot of mixed reviews for this game - almost divided in half - half liked, half no like! I just finished the demo and I'm in the half that likes. I almost didn't want to continue when the game first started when the first thing you have to do is a HOS. Darn those things!! But they aren't all that hard and there are enough mini-games so far, to keep the game from getting stagnant. I like the graphics - I think they set the mood for the story, which I also am enjoying. So, even tho I don't want to spend the money, I will so I can finish the games and get three more punches on my card. I'm off to play!

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 12, 12 4:05 PM
Well, I finished both the main game and the bonus game. I took a break to get something to eat,other than that, I have been transfixed on this game. I enjoyed all parts of this game, although I did have to skip a few of the mini-games (of which there are many!) due to a couple I couldn't figure out and a couple I completed but not the way it was suppose to be according to the SG. If you complete the game, that's all that matters right? Well, not to these devs!! Anyway, even tho the story is the old "I want to rule the world so I will sell my soul or do some other horrible thing so I can destroy everything!" story, I enjoyed the game. I really liked the graphics and enjoyed most of the mini-games. Well, it was a good way to spend a gloomy, rainy, and I do mean rainy, afternoon.

feenix

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jun 12, 12 6:35 PM
I'm glad for once that I didn't read any reviews about this game until after I bought and played it. I thought it was FANTASTIC!! It was weird, dark, chock full of surprises and, for me, just pure fun!! I managed to win all but two achievements (used 3 hints) and played for a leisurely 7 hours, almost non stop.

The stretch screen worked perfectly for me when both the widescreen and stretch screen buttons were checked. I thought the voice overs were well done and the music was non obtrusive. LOVED the story line and how the ending eludes to a sequel.

On the CON side, the game froze up once, something that hasn't happened to me in a few years of playing BF games. Once restarted though, I didn't lose any game play. It was just annoying and stopped my heart for a second! The game loading was slow when it should have been seamless.

Glad I bought it, happy I played it, sorry when it ended!!!

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Jun 13, 12 6:05 PM
I had played the demo for this game elsewhere awhile back. I remember being frustrated.
However, I demoed this game today and I was more at ease. I really enjoyed the scenery, which, though it is grainy it fits the theme of the game.
Mini games weren't too hard for me. (as usually is the case) and the hidden object scenes were good.
I finished the demo before my time was up, but by looking at the 'previews' of the rest of the game, I think I'll really enjoy this.

It's a game that surprised me by sneaking around behind my brain and reminding me about how fun such a game could be.

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on Jun 13, 12 7:53 PM
I did not like the previous games in this series so wasn't prepared to like this one, especially since I'm not a big fan of games with occult overtones, but this one I liked, at least from the demo.

The graphics were clear on my screen, very little that I'd call grainy, the music didn't bother me and I eventually tuned it out for the most part, the stretch screen worked for me, and the mini-games weren't too hard (at least in the demo). I had no delays between scenes loading and the game cursors worked without any issues. I did notice in the guide that one of the thumbnails was wrong, for the wire game on the electric pole. The image that displayed was correct but the thumbnail was not the same as the actual image. Oh, and a few grammar/spelling issues but nothing major (not enough to really bother a tech writer, which I am).

The basic story line is one we've played before but hey, there are only so many stories that can be turned into games that people will play or that even make a decent game.

I recently lost my job so getting the CE version isn't in my budget but I just might get it when the SE version is released.

Edited on 06/13/2012 at 7:54:42 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 16, 12 5:45 AM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 5:17:36 AM PST

[Post New]by casual_beast on Jun 18, 12 12:34 AM
I played only the demo and I think I'll wait for SE and then give my full review.

Locations look nice but they tire my eyes with washed out colors. It does ads to the atmosphere but still hurts the eyes after 30 minutes of play.

Wait for SE if you're not sure about this one.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jun 22, 12 2:14 PM
I found this game sorely lacking for a CE. It was not exciting at all...some games do start slow and by the end of the demo have gripped the player....not this one. To call it boring is a kindness. Sorry a no buy for me....

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jun 23, 12 10:13 AM

COL. ED. GAME ENDING:

For those of you that do NOT purchase the Collector's Edition, you will get an "ending to the game". The Bonus Section deals with the "Sister" and the "maybe" future game.

I liked the game. Do I consider it a "great" game, "no". If there is a "continuation" game will I purchase it, probably.

Edited on 06/23/2012 at 10:13:38 AM PST

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jun 23, 12 9:06 PM
I've purchased and played all the other games in the Haunted Hotel series, but I must admit I did not enjoy them very much after #2. I am a big HP Lovecraft fan, but this game left me cold. I played all the way through the main game and would rate it OK, but nothing to rave about. The artwork, music, and movies were sufficeintly creepy. The storyline was only vaguely reminiscent of the actual Lovecraft story it was based on; it had a somewhat Lovecraftian ending.

SPOILER ALERT: I'm not fond of making magic potions and casting spells. This game had more than I care for generally speaking and it wasn't something you could glean from the demo.

I think this was a love it or hate it title. I do agree with the reviewers that stated they thought it was a bit of a throw back--it did not flow very well and did not seem quite up to the times. I'm not overly fond of live action sequences in these games either, but seems the was HOGs are going these days. I guess I've been spoiled by really vibrant artwork and cinema quality animations like those found in Blue Tea Games or ERS titles.

SPOILER ALERT 2: The bonus chapter does give one more closure and a slightly better ending to the story than the main game; so if you like the game and perfer a more optimistic ending I'd reccomend the CE version. Of note, however, is that you gain access to the extras prior to completing the bonus chapter and there is a collectible and saveable musical score (if you like such things as I do).

Try the demo, if you like it you most likely will want to buy this title. My final verdict is OK--I'd really purchased it because I didn't find any other new titles that struck my fancy. If you find the demo ho-hum, you may want to try the Dark Dimention Series instead--I found them wonderful and creepy and a more worthy purchases. For me personally, this will probably be my last foray into the Haunted Hotel series if there are any others--that is unless the demo is exciting and more interesting than it's predecessors. I would rate this game as better than the last entry "Lonely Dream"--that game took me a year to play all the way though!

Edited on 06/24/2012 at 7:36:50 PM PST

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jul 3, 12 7:29 PM
Great game! Great length! Great graphics! Glad i bought it!

NellGwyn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by NellGwyn on Jul 13, 12 3:14 PM
Absolutely love this game, even though I'm not quite done. Any fan of Lovecraft will become quickly immersed in the story and recognize the master's touch throughout. This is more of a game for adults and teens, something which I really appreciate. Very mature in its themes and game play. Really gets me thinking. Not for those who don't like horror/mystical themes. But for those who do--enjoy!

Funny thing when I asked my hubby to help me out he started a new game on his own and now he's addicted!

I think H.P. would be quite pleased.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jul 14, 12 6:25 AM
I played the demo and this game is alot of fun, I will be buying this game i like the graphics and sounds thx DEV's for all your time and hard work on this game..Kuddo's to you BF..another great game..

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 2, 12 2:20 PM
decent game, i defer the the usual suspects when it comes to reviews, i just want to add, this is another game where a map would be nice; one that would allow us to jump from one scene to another.

Go to: