gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

Re:Reviews for Royal Detective: The Lord of Statues Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 14, 12 10:57 PM
continued (sorry this is long but tired and not feeling pithy )

BONUS (all unlocked at start apart from video and bonus game)
-Achievements
-26 miniatures you collect throughout the game (see them in achievements area)
-Bonus play
-SG
-Video is 8 cutscenes that was played throughout the game
-Music - 4 soundtracks that you can save
-16 concept art
-11 wallpaper

Bonus play

All in new area and doesn’t feature anyone from the main story, (apart from your gnome) I felt the ending was abrupt. There was 3 hidden object scenes and a few puzzles. One puzzle I spent 20 mins on and it was random and I ended up skipping it – (I like logical puzzles that you can work out so skipped it). So you can take that into consideration when I sayedit for clarification- TIME for BONUS PLAY - 45mins (including 20 mins on one puzzle).

While elephant games CE usually impress me, and with extras here they do (although no unlocking of puzzles in this game) the bonus game and collecting things is the main reason why I buy CEs, so I am not recommending this CE version.

If you don’t think that bonus is short then you will love it but I would recommend waiting for the SE version and you will get a 5 star SE game with built in mini SG. (hint button!)
If it was a normal length elephant game I would have no problem giving this 5 stars but as they set bar so high in others re quality and length proving you can do both, I'm sorry but I can't help feeling surprised at the length of it.

Re occult, skeletons etc - One H O scene had a few skeletons heads and had 2 voodoo dolls but that was it. Not that those things bother me so there may have been a couple of more skeleton heads that I missed but it wasn't a dark game.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 4:15:00 PM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 15, 12 12:04 AM
[<a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/213715.page#4369191>Removed by Moderator</a>]
Definitely the best game this year. If I had not know this was Elephant I would not have guessed. I remember thinking about their last couple of games that they had got stuck in a rut and were stale. Not only did they up their game, they completely outdid themselves. Maybe they had a staff change or maybe they lit a fire under their existing staff, but whatever they did, they came up with a real beauty.

When I wish for something new and original, I never really have anything specific in mind, after all it is not my line of work. But never would I have thought any dev would come up with new and original when it comes to inventory items. The creativity of the gnomes and rooster just blew me away. There is also an element of humour throughout that had me smiling, a lot.

Such exquisite graphics I have not seen in a long time. This is not immediately apparent from the demo because for most of it you are outside and it is snowing, but once inside, it is a whole different story. Speaking of story - excellent theme, original and really interesting. The statues were absolutely brilliant and I just adored Rupert. I was really struck by all the interaction with the different characters, it added something extra to the game. Usually, I play a game with a sense of isolation, which can be dull. That was not present here. A truly wonderful achievement that has my wholehearted admiration. Watch out devs, Elephant is back on top.

The best fun I and enjoyment I have had this year.

Edited on 06/15/2012 at 4:54:36 AM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 15, 12 3:31 AM
I honestly can't say anything bad about this game. It's absolutely delightful and should please most HOPA/iH0G fans; both those of the dark and eerie genre and those of a more lighthearted nature. Why? Because there's a bit of both, but not too much of either one to put the other off - and quite a bit of humour thrown in.

Without giving too much away, you have certain statues that help you on your quest - I loved the Rooster and the Miner. The cut scenes are great, as are the graphics. The music isn't intrusive and the H0S are nicely spaced out. The 'jump to' map is fantastic for the times you get tired of going back and forth and the gnome hint button is more than enough to get you through the game without the need to resort to the SG.

This is now my favourite game of the year 2012 so far. Big Thumbs Up Developers!! What a gem!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 15, 12 5:36 AM
this is a very good game and we will buy this game. --doug & lisa.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jun 15, 12 5:51 AM
As I believe everyone has said:
This has got to be one of the best game we've seen in here.
Everything is so well executed..graphics are to die for, music perfect, gameplay - so smooth and easily emmursing.
I only wanted it to go on and on..the characters were that yummy and full of depth. There is so much to go forward with ..the archer, the local citizens and of course the huge creature with his paw stretching towards what looks like a stove pipe in the snow in the bonus.
Developers..you got it all right. The animated scenes were beautiful. I first missed not having a journal ( or didn't even look for one) and then didn't care a whit because the story and hints were so clean that one knows what one is doing without paging around looking for answers.

The artists were outstanding..jeepers, what can one say...this game will break records, I believe. Standing ovation from me!
kris

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Jun 15, 12 6:19 AM
Superb, awesome and amazing game! The stunning graphics are the finest I've ever seen in a game. Everything is perfect about this game and Elephant has even added some clever new dimensions. Less than five minutes into the demo I knew I was going to buy it - couldn't wait for the standard edition for this great one. Much praise to the ingenious and very creative Elelphant developers. I would nominate this for the best game of 2012!

Ismene
Flounder
Flounder
2,095 Posts

[Post New]by Ismene on Jun 15, 12 7:17 AM
The demo was very impressive. Clear graphics that don't require darkening the room to make out, and voiceovers that can be clicked past if you're a speed reader and beat the voiceover artist through the dialogue. The tech specs call for a 2.5 GHz processor, but it ran fine with my 1.8 GHz -- granted, I maxed out my RAM a few weeks ago.

I just have one problem with this game. The HO scenes are not randomized, you get the same list every time. For me, this limits replay value.

If I buy the game, it'll be the CE version, but this may wait until there's another CE sale.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 15, 12 1:06 PM
I really wasn't that impressed overall. I thought the storyline was unique and original and I was impressed because the developers did develop and tell the story all the way through the game. And the choice of endings was a nice touch as well.

I didn't count the HOS, so I'll take ginergal's word, but it seemed more like 117 to me - and each of them overly junky.The puzzles were also unoriginal and easy and instead of solving puzzles to open things, you solve puzzles to get HOS.

The Achievements were also uninspired (with most of them being for things that happen during the normal course of the game, i.e., the princess getting kidnapped, returning people back from animals, finding the princess' father, entering the tower chamber, use the rooster for the first time.) Only 3 had anything to do with individual game play - collect all 26 miniatures, complete 3 HOS without a hint, complete 3 puzzles without skipping, a use the map for the first time. And the collectible objects were just laying around - they weren't hidden, they weren't morphing, they were just there in plain view and very obvious.

The music also needs some work. Most of the game is silent with blasts of music coming in at various high points. Suitable background music throughout the game would be nice.

The main game, playing in the hardest mode, (which by the way, includes lots of hints in the text), with no hints, no skips, not using the map or the strategy guide and getting all of the achievements took me 3.75 hours. The bonus game took me 20 minutes.

The graphics are good, the FX are fine. I don't care about having to use extra little characters to accomplish a task, because frankly, the use of them becomes inconsistant and an irritation. (For instance, using the telescope and looking at a window ledge, I can grab a collectible, but I can't grab the other item right next to it, I have to send the rooster for it. )

Overall, I give it 4 stars. It's much better than the last few games they've done storywise and creatively. But inside, it's pretty much the same package as far as HOS and puzzles are concerned.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 8:25:43 AM PST

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Jun 15, 12 1:32 PM
I broke my own vow not to buy any more CE's because I"ve been disappointed in the bonus materials. Well, this game is so great that I couldn't resist!!

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Jun 15, 12 3:03 PM
Really enjoyed this game, 5 s. But was disappointed in bonus play, was one of the shortest for me. Game was still worth the money.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jun 15, 12 6:08 PM
The animations and graphics are superior! Please make more high quality games like this one. I can't add anymore to the already great reviews.

I rate this game: "Fine Swine"!

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Adventure games.

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog, Frog ,Ihog, Adventure. For true lover's of these types of games

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

TROTTER:
Pig's foot, don't run away with this pig’s foot. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Jun 15, 12 10:16 PM
Yet another fabulous game from Elephant Games. Beautiful Widescreen. Interesting, engaging storyline, fabulous graphics, animations, etc. All the previous glowing reviews have said all of the great things about this game and I completely agree. I didn't even wait until I finished demo to purchase it and I almost always wait to make sure I love it!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jun 16, 12 6:17 AM
I would have enjoyed the trial more if my cursor had behaved a little better (see tech.complaint thread), but what also got me and distracted me possibly more than some slowness to gameplay was if you're going to set a game in a specific time and place more or less, please stick with it and do a minimum of homework so there's consistency. The somewhat junkpile HOS's had early 20th century cameras, film cameras, a lipstick (not invented until the 1920's or 1930's), 1960's-modern era wigs, sunglasses from the last 20 years (at least), and there was a U.S. Western sheriff's badge early on. Meanwhile our intrepid royal detective arrives in a very (sort of) 18th-19th century European town in an 18th century coach. The clothing was also all over the place. That this game also had a truly great voiceover actor, certainly one of the best I've heard, and a lot of fun things to play with plus a map you could jump with did not quite make up for the constantly jarring inattention to details re: setting the scene. So, all in all, I'm not sure about buying this game, and I was certainly ready to, based on the glowing reviews. I own several other Elephant games which I really love, so this was kind of disappointing.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Jun 16, 12 10:46 AM
Just finished, and as others have said, this is a short, and easy game by EG standards...but I don't think that's all bad. EG games, while I love them, can be somewhat daunting to play. The TGT, for example, MT: Raincliff, is one of my favorite games, but it is a MAJOR time investment to play - with this game you get the EG goodies (unbeatable graphics, things to collect, achievements) without spending 8-10 hours playing.

I know, some are asking, what's wrong with long gameplay? - nothing, except I find it difficult at times to remember my place in a game, and as I don't like using hints, I can spend a lot of time wandering around before I find the thread of the game again.

Also, one reason I think this game is much shorter than the usual is the BEST interactive map EVER! There are lots of things to find, and lots of things to do, and if I had to remember where something was meant to be used, well, I think that could have added at least an hour to the game. EG began going down this road in Black Isle, and they have only improved it here. You can of course play without looking at the map, but if you want to know exactly where there are things to be done, and then jump right to them, you can do that too. Saves a pair of sneakers, at least.

One thing I was surprised by: EG abandoned their usual practice of having you use inventory items in the HO scenes. I was a little disappointed by that, as it sets them apart from everyone else, but on the other hand, I'm usually one or two HO scenes in before I remember that's what they do.

All in all, if you haven't bought this yet, you won't miss a lot by waiting for the SE. The bonus game took 40 mins (I also skipped one puzzle here; I do NOT like random puzzles) and didn't add anything to the story. Can't comment on the hints as I did not use them (though I did peek at the SG a few times - and it was not helpful for puzzles BTW - just showed you the solution, not how to get it). As someone said earlier, EG may be "dumbing down" a series for those who want a little easier game, and sometimes I do. Not their best effort, perhaps, but quite a nice little game.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Jun 16, 12 12:20 PM
I FINISHED THE GAME AND THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT IT'S ONE OF THE GREATEST I HAVE EVER PLAYED BUT... THE BONUS GAME IS WAY TOO SHORT FOR A COLLECTOR'S EDITION. I THINK THE FEATURE THAT MAKES A GAME WORTH THAT TITLE IS THE BONUS GAMEPLAY BASICALLY. MY ADVICE FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T PURCHASE THE GAME YET, IS TO WAIT FOR THE STANDARD EDITION.

TAKE CARE.

Edited on 07/04/2013 at 9:43:05 AM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jun 16, 12 1:23 PM
A game has to have something special, if it is going to be one that I really LOVE playing, and I was so excited to see EG come up with, original and magical elements, in this offering...YIPEE!
The statues coming alive was such a cool effect, especially loved the one, that couldn't get to me, I'm sure his knuckles hurt in frustration..lol, and that made me want to aggrivate him even more ...which I did, but I just couldn't get over how real, he looked, excellent artwork.
And I can't forget my little rooster, too CUTE, and my miner buddy, these are what made this game come alive, and so different from most games, GREAT touches that really added to the game play, along with the gnomes, all so realistic.
For me the more magical, the more I love it ..talking about the doors of course, AWESOME job, it was an Ahhhh moment, SOOOOO CUTE.
So between the little friends, the statues in all of their glory, the amazingly helpful map, the GREAT graphics, cool story, and the collectables and achievments.
I would say that I had a ton of fun, playing this, and really appreciated EG'S for giving us something different.
Even the way the items melted away, once you clicked on them, was enjoyable and different, and I liked the special effects of the glass breaking, when you found a collectable, all added touches, that made the game play that much better.

Things I wasn't crazy about, some of the puzzles were time wasters and just tedious, like clicking on the red triangles, to turn them all blue, just personal opinion, but they are just not fun, and a few others, got spoiled I guess, last two games I played, loved every single puzzle in them.
And last but not least, the bonus game, if you could call it a bonus-NOT, it was WAY to short, was so sorry I didn't wait for the SE version, would have been much more satisfied.
Even though the main game was good, it went so fast, and I am not a fast player, so that added to a really short bonus, didn't get enough game play, for the CE price, IMHO.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jun 16, 12 3:03 PM
Amazing game! In addition to every good thing everyone else had to say, I'll just add:

I loved, loved, luuuurved:
The unique use of inventory items (helpers), the perfect balance of H0 to puzzle to adventure, all the various characters within the story, the art work, and no explanation on puzzles.

I enjoyed:
The story (especially the ending twist), the variety of puzzles, the very clever working of the familiar mini-game mechanics, a map that lets you jump to a scene, and the H0 scenes (I haven't been able to figure out what makes H0's fun instead of boring but Elephant does it.) and the length (4 1/2 hours on the main game in hardcore with no hints, skips or SG help.)

I was a little disappointed:
No more inventory items in H0's. No diary. Puzzles a little too easy. the ease of the achievements and collectibles. (got them all first time through)

Actually just the level of challenge in general. I'm a hard core player, getting lost and frustrated is part of the fun for me. Things that would have helped - No black bar hints throughout the adventure areas of the game (but please keep the story and dialog in!!), No clue on the interactive map (I couldn't use it or I would get tipped off), and bring back inventory items in H0's. Those three things would have made the game about an hour longer for me.

Because there was no diary, there are no mini-games or puzzles that are solved by collecting clues instead of objects. These are usually the trickiest and the ones I enjoy the most.

For me, this game was so well done and unique, and I was so attached to my helpers that the challenge was secondary. I've played far more challenging games that were not half as charming or fun. I knew when I bought it that it would be a tiny let down in that area and I didn't mind. I offer the above suggestions in hopes that the devs find them informative.

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Jun 16, 12 3:05 PM
Yes the graphics were stunning, but I was disappointed in this game. It was far too short for a CE. I would wait for the SE if any are unsure whether to buy or not.

Only my opinion, but I do not think it is anywhere near the best game of the year and wished I had saved my money.

Kowgirl
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Kowgirl on Jun 16, 12 7:26 PM
I don't post often but am online and check the reviews every day on new games. Have to say that this game is stunning and above the norm, excellent, from the "helpers" to the graphics and overall quality of the game. Would love to see more like this one!! Thanks to the devs and Big Fish!!!

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Jun 16, 12 7:32 PM
I trialled it, loved it, and bought it (the 'bought' download is a massive 986 meg!! )

Go to: