Reviews for City of Fools

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Re:Reviews for City of Fools

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 24, 12 1:27 AM
I hate this game! It's stupid and annoying and filled with 10 year old boy humor. (Adult content? Gimme a break... more like aforementioned 10 year old boy content.)

Sooooo then why am I compelled to buy the darn thing???

Basically if you like a nice serious challenge... git along little doggie... don't pass go don't collect $200 dollars... and don't demo this game.

BUT

If you have an annoying little brother you remember fondly and you used to sneak peaks at his MAD magazine... OR... if you laugh at all the idiocy in Monty Python... OR... you are just INSANE (like me? ) Then BUY BUY BUY!!!

Good 3 & 1/2 stars... but needs an interactive map... a way to keep sound on but turn off the grumble voices... a way to "skip" some of the repetitive crap... and a notepad to keep notes within the game... add that and it could hit 5 stars or pretty darn close.

TooOld2Play
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by TooOld2Play on Jun 24, 12 6:29 PM
This is a unique and addicting traveling adventure game. I say traveling because there is a lot of running around from here to there but unlike some games, there is a point to it. If you want the full game experience DON'T USE THE WALKTHROUGH. It covers only the "I absolutely have to have" stuff and you'll miss some of the cute stuff. Some locations are not even covered in the walkthrough. I spent a good part of today and yesterday playing this game....and yes, the laundry is piling up.

Very well worth the money and fun fun fun.

judithg315
Herring
Herring
371 Posts

[Post New]by judithg315 on Jun 25, 12 11:40 AM
What can I say? This game is fantastic! I loved every minute of it. It is totally different from any game I have ever played.

It is an adventure with a few hidden object scenes and a couple of puzzles. (easy)
The fun is wandering all over town finding quirky people and helping them out by finding what they need. Some things need to be purchased from several different places.

Whenever you help someone, they will pay you. You need the money to not only get the ticket to get to the mayor’s island but to buy things to help out the people you meet.

I didn’t notice anyone commenting on how much fun it was to ride the subway to get to the other side of town.

The graphics are excellent and the music fits right in.

I took me 2 days of playing off and on. I’m sure I had at least 14 hours of game play and was still wanted to go on after it ended.

I hope these developers make another game as zany as this one.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jun 25, 12 12:26 PM
I love this game! The sense of humor, not knowing what the people will say and I am always entertained by what residents say in houses. I love that I can go anywhere I want to go and knock on the doors. This game can be described as one word FUN! I have waited for BFG to get this game and accidentally found it while looking for a new game to use my soon to expire coupon. I hope people will try the demo and buy it to encourage more fun happy exciting games like this with adults in mind.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Jun 25, 12 12:57 PM
Wow! This game is so much fun and I spent hours and hours playing it. What a great game. Clear, crisp graphics, quirky music and cute characters make this game a 5 star. Don't miss it.

Thank you Big Fish. Can we have more like this please?

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 26, 12 4:03 AM
Funny, fun, quirky little game that I really liked except that I could not remember where all the people were that I had to go back and find. I think a better idea would have been to put descriptions of the characters that lived in the houses, as well the the addresses, on the map, as well as the whereabouts of the various characters in the streets who were not in houses. I should have started writing it down, but after a while I just wandered around from house to house until I found someone who wanted something I had. This aspect of the game made it too drawn out and made it drag a bit, and it took far too long to finish. Finally made it to the Island, found the Mayor, and, gee whizz, game over. I still had loads of things in my inventory that I had not delivered yet. I found this unsatisfying and annoying. I think it is a sloppy way to end a game. The 2 white directional arrows need to be in a darker colour and they were very often so faint I had a hard time spotting them. Getting to the airport and being confronted with Hitler was a bit off-putting.

Still a good creative idea though, just not well rounded out at the end.

Edited on 06/26/2012 at 4:13:34 AM PST

RPGirl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by RPGirl on Jun 26, 12 8:11 AM
I have been playing this game for 3 days, off and on, and it's one of the most engaging and unique and funny games I've played on BFG! What a great change of pace! I can't believe that I almost overlooked it in the lineup! Two thumbs up, from me!

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Jun 26, 12 7:29 PM
Just when I thought they couldn't come up with something refreshingly new! Absolutely unique and fun! Kudos to the developers. A definite buy for me. I've got a credit reserved for it...just waiting to see when the purchase will do the most good.

[Post New]by allegro2500 on Jun 26, 12 8:58 PM
I don't write a whole lot of reviews on here, but I probably should. However, I can't help saying how FABULOUS this game is!! I just lost myself in the game for 3 hours, and I haven't even covered half of the locations on the map yet!!! I usually stick to buying time management/strategy games like MKFTP or Royal Envoy, but when a good adventure game comes up, I can't resist it. And this is, by far, the best adventure game I have ever bought on here!! Lots of hints to keep you going when you get stuck. Amazing graphics. Great characters. Engaging stories and side tasks. You just HAVE to go buy it!

Edited on 06/26/2012 at 8:59:17 PM PST

theepicdog
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by theepicdog on Jun 27, 12 6:37 AM
What a thoroughly enjoyable game!!!! I didn't want it to end so just in case it suddenly finished when I went to the island I deliberately left a couple of tasks to finish so now I have to start it all again to complete it ..... Brilliant!!!!! More like this please,

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on Jun 27, 12 7:27 PM
Woo hoo!!! This game is hilarious! I was cackling out loud in several places - a first for me! This one will occupy me for several days. It's such a refreshing change from the dark, dreary, creepy games that seem to predominate lately. I was ready for some fun, and I found it! The whole thing is a hoot, and I look forward to more from this developer!

I do wish I the map were interactive. On the other hand, I keep wandering around and discovering yet another door I failed to enter.

Love it, love it, love it!

muttnutt
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by muttnutt on Jun 28, 12 3:28 PM
Very cute game, I loved it!

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on Jun 29, 12 12:12 PM
Well, I just finished the game, except I wasn't finished with all my tasks. I wish the game would require that all tasks be completed before you can finish the game. And the ending was just LAME.

The reason I didn't finish my tasks is that I couldn't remember where the last two characters were. That was quite frustrating. I spent a lot of time wandering around looking for the carpenter...

Having said all that, I love this game and was thoroughly entertained.

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Jun 29, 12 1:03 PM
Just finished the demo and thought it was a strange bit of play. Once I realized how all these little quests kind of tied into each other and with the cool GPS triggered by interacting with the map, it made it a lot more fun.

I think the artwork is kind of awful, but it's funny and controls are easy to play--well, once you get over the awful artwork. The puzzles are easy--that I've seen and the people are, in fact, fools.

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Jun 29, 12 6:02 PM
I just finished the game; it took several hours to complete. I found the warning about the content being for mature audiences somewhat amusing in itself. Believe me when I say there is nothing "mature" about this game at all; lots of adolescent "bathroom" humor. But, boy, did I ever love it! It's like laughing at the bathroom scene in the movie "Dumb and Dumber". Wonderful game although I agree the ending was kind of a disappointment.

This game is from the same devs as "Green Moon" which I purchased some time ago and could never finish. I tried again after finishing this game, but could never get into it like I did this one.

You've got to give this one a try.

moonweaver
Flounder
Flounder
2,108 Posts

[Post New]by moonweaver on Jun 29, 12 6:47 PM
It seems there is no middle ground with the opinions on this game. I HATED it! I agree there is humor, but as several fishies have pointed out: adolescent humor, which I don't enjoy. I quit after about 30 minutes; confused, wandering around, not knowing where to go next. No buy for me.

[Post New]by tsams1998 on Jun 30, 12 10:42 PM

Edited on 07/04/2012 at 6:17:59 AM PST

Irusan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Irusan on Jul 2, 12 12:43 PM
Weirdest game I've played for some time, but great fun. I really enjoyed it.
I'm getting so fed up with games which are supposed to be adventure games but actually turn out to be 80% "hidden object" - and this made a refreshing change. Obviously it's not exactly an adventure game either, but it has a nice mix of styles. Lovely jokey feel as well, and takes a while to play. I can see why some aren't keen on the scatological bits, but hey, that's us Europeans for you!

Downsides? The way it lets you get to the island without having to complete all the other tasks, and the autosave means you then can't go back and finish them off, you have to play the whole game again (I know you can switch off the autosave, but it's too late once you're there!)
Also, hate to say it, but it is a bit easy. None of the tasks are any real challenge; the biggest problem is remembering which house people are in.

But I'd say these are minor faults. I had several hours of fun playing, and what more can you ask?

Edited on 07/02/2012 at 1:49:58 PM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jul 3, 12 12:35 AM
faboomama wrote: Just finished the demo and thought it was a strange bit of play. Once I realized how all these little quests kind of tied into each other and with the cool GPS triggered by interacting with the map, it made it a lot more fun.

What cool GPS triggered by interacting with the map?

I don't really know what to say about this one. The nutty characters were pretty funny, and I liked the bright colors. The navigation sucked, though, and no way to get a hint whether to go right or left, etc. made it frustrating. I never figured out how to interact with the map (apparently faboomama did), so even though I might know where I needed to go, I could only hope to remember how to get back and keep looking at the map.

I couldn't figure out why I needed money. Just to have more places to go in order to buy things for these people? What was the point of that? I could visualize running around trying to buy stuff and find stuff interminably without any reason for it.

I honestly think if the devs would have kept the circus atmosphere and silly schtick (I loved the cop!) and improved on some of the negatives, it could've been a buy for me.

PS: It reminded me a little bit of those old silent comedies with a little bit of the Marx Brothers thrown in.

[Post New]by rigarson on Jul 3, 12 5:48 AM
where can i find a shower? Please help me. I'm stinky

Go to: