jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Comments for Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jun 25, 12 10:07 AM
Well, that was four minutes of my life I'll never get back! If this is supposed to be a novel to read along with a game, I think they could have done a bit better with the dialogue. This is awful.

hdnobjgamluvr
Shark
Shark
12,611 Posts

[Post New]by hdnobjgamluvr on Jun 25, 12 10:16 AM
I have to say, this was one of the worst games I've ever seen.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 25, 12 11:04 AM
Sorry, I love Victorian Novels, but I don't like to play loose and free with the story line. The story is so mangled I expected Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) to pop in for a Cameo cross over. It's a no buy for me

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 25, 12 11:06 AM
KIW0612 wrote:Granted this game does not have the sophisticated gameplay everyone has been spoiled by or they feel all games should be just as sophisticated. But I found this game to have a very appealing charm of it's own and it's a buy for me. Please give the game a chance and play the free trial before letting these negative comments scare you away. What others find excrutiating, I found charming.

This is a trial demo, not a 60 min. free game play. I finished the demo in 50 min. Hints do not rechargem you must earn them by finding wax seals. Since you have to EARN the hints, you may have to THINK a bit longer than in other games before hitting that HINT button. It does show that it includes "Find the difference" scenes, but none in the demo - looking forward to those.

Yes there is a lot of dialogue. Anyone who likes racing through a game would not enjoy this. Following the story line is a big part of this game. If you like a relaxing game, this may be for you.

Thanks BFG!

Totally agree. It's certainly not a great game. Not even sure that it's that good. But I have so many PCCs I need to use them up. I wouldn't pay a credit for this game. But it's a change. I find it relaxing. LOVE the book - so 'OK' jars. Such a shame that D'arcy looks more like Mr Collins (remember him chewing sausages noisily in the BBC version?? I thought OMG Charlotte has to listen to this every morning). I like it. It's quirky.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jun 25, 12 11:16 AM
Junk like this game should be priced right away at $2.99, SE's 6.99 and CE's 9.99 and everyone would be happy.

PS: How did this get even 2 stars?

Edited on 06/25/2012 at 11:20:17 AM PST

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jun 25, 12 11:24 AM
Count me among the beta testers no one listened to.

I played just long enough today to confirm that they didn't change a thing. I often wonder why they ask beta testers to play the game if they aren't going to listen to us.

I love Austen and P&P is one of my favorites but she would be rolling in her grave at this game adaptation.

Maybe what we need is a game where a band of zombies "resurrects" Austen and she goes around fixing all the terrible adaptations based on her work!

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Jun 25, 12 11:59 AM
I did the beta on this and lasted 10 minutes into the trial. The popping in and out of the characters was annoying. I can't honestly say that there was much to like about it. In trying to maneuver within the game, if I clicked on a character, she just kept saying the same things. The music was pleasant but became annoying after a while. The only bright spots were the conversations between the parents, and that made me laugh. Typical Victorian humor. Absolutely no buy for me

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 25, 12 3:16 PM
Old_Man_River wrote:Sorry, I love Victorian Novels, but I don't like to play loose and free with the story line. The story is so mangled I expected Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) to pop in for a Cameo cross over. It's a no buy for me

That would be AWESOME! Have you ever read The Eyre Affair: A Thursday Next Novel by Jasper Fforde? Fun fun fun.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 25, 12 3:55 PM
This is a hard game! I played for 15 seconds and I couldn't figure out how it worked.

Joking... I played for 40 minutes and had to exit to get a tip on the poker. I think this game might be just a tad too difficult for me. The characters popping in was mildly annoying but the music and the graphics are attractive. I think all the bad reviews are a little unfair.

[Post New]by ladyjayne47 on Jun 25, 12 4:52 PM
HATE< HATE< HATE this game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 25, 12 5:41 PM
Do you have a young daughter that needs encouraging to read a good book? Then this game would be perfect for her. It reminds me of straight hidden object games I played 7 yrs ago but with a lot more dialogue!

Oh for some tweaking in this game. As you are made to sit through even with skipping, a lot of dialogue so the very least they could do was use colour on the background scenes!

I only played 20 mins of it (looking for a poker or something in the back of a chair) but I did think the hidden object scenes to look at were good. LIke old hidden object games they weren't junk pile or would be more cluttered scenes so give them a lot of credit for that, although they are 'straight' HOS.

I thought earning hints was good and finding extra pages of the diary was a nice touch.

The changing screens took a bit to notice - using scroll buttons at edge of inventory bar.

If I ever want to reread pride and prejudice again, I might pick it up as a DD if I am in the mood for nostalgic old style HOG (and that's only because I LOVE the novel and movie).

But with some tweaking - mini games, choice of no music and maybe voiceover with more dialogue in a journal or changed some of how it was done, graphics improved - I think it could have been a decent game,

Edited on 06/25/2012 at 5:44:08 PM PST

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 25, 12 6:12 PM
bookworm1940 wrote:I hope Vervaine sees today's offering since some of us were just talking about 'virtual novels' being a dead genre. Wow...funny that we were just bemoaning that fact, and here we are with one to try out! I read the negative comments, but downloaded anyway and really am enjoying the game. Yes, there's lots of dialog to read, but personally, I don't mind. Since I bought the game, I now have plenty of time to read, absorb and enjoy.

It is a different bit of play mechanics and I'm quite enjoying that. I might have liked it just a tad better if there had been acutal voice overs (as opposed to reading) like The Great Gatsby, but I'm fine with this.

Please do give the demo a full chance and if at the end of that time you still can't stand it then at least you've given it a fair try. I, too, was really iffy at first when I started playing but then I got the hang of it and let myself get involved in the story.
So...off to play some more. And, yes, it would be wonderful if some of the game developers do pick up on this genre and really run with it!

I had a discussion in the last couple of days (mostly by PM) with Vervaine about "virtual novels". On another site I downloaded SHIVAH by the same developer as EMERALD CITY CONFIDENTIAL. Since I am Jewish SHIVAH may have some appeal even if it fails as a game (don't know -haven't played anything but the opening which seemed like a graphic novel - really good dialogue for a game, as many game reviewers and PC GAMING mag notes.

I love Jane Austen and have read all her books and seen the BBC productions, etc. I can't believe, as one fishy noted in a review, that the developers made one of the handsomest leading men in English literature, Mr. Darcy, look like a middle-aged toad . I'm a woman who loves women (and lives with one woman ) and even I know that Mr. Darcy is a hunk and that fact is a major part of the story!!! There always has to be one or two devastatingly good-looking, perhaps brooding young men in these novels. That is part of their appeal. What were the developer's thinking???

So, I've downloaded Pride and Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies because I want to see this train wreck of a game for myself. Maybe the rest of the game will be fine as a "virtual game" --- but screwing around with Mr. Darcy is unforgiveable and will probably make it a no-buy!

Edited on 06/26/2012 at 10:24:52 PM PST

gjnashif
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by gjnashif on Jun 25, 12 6:21 PM
This may be a first so far...... but there are 40 reviews on the main page, there is not one person, not one person mind you, who recommends this game, at last look it was sitting at 0 percent....

Even the NDO games had someone that liked it.....

Does anyone know if we have ever had a game that literally nobody liked?

-- gnashif

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 25, 12 7:22 PM
gjnashif wrote:This may be a first so far...... but there are 40 reviews on the main page, there is not one person, not one person mind you, who recommends this game, at last look it was sitting at 0 percent....

Even the NDO games had someone that liked it.....

Does anyone know if we have ever had a game that literally nobody liked?

-- gnashif

What are NDO games?

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 25, 12 9:08 PM
@OvrThRainbo - They meant HdO games.

HdO is a tradename of a series of Hidden Object games by a particular developer that, generally speaking, evoke automatic rejection from 99.5% of the gamers in the pond.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 25, 12 9:20 PM
It sounds like most people want all games to work and look exactly the same and have exactly the same features. Where's the fun in that?

It's good that lots of people tried it out...and it sounds like it is a different style of hidden object game. But is it really terrible because it doesn't have voiceovers (or is that a personal preference). Does all the dialog make it awful? (Why, if you can skip it?)

Is this a first time developer? (I won't have a chance to download and look at the game until later in the week).

Edited on 06/25/2012 at 9:20:57 PM PST

laila60
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by laila60 on Jun 25, 12 10:01 PM
giocato dieci minuti, gioco noioso e incomprensibilem mi dispiace credevo meglio

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 25, 12 10:56 PM
laila60 wrote: giocato dieci minuti, gioco noioso e incomprensibilem mi dispiace credevo meglio

This is the English translation of what laila60 had to say in Italian:

played 10 minutes, the game boring and incomprensibilem sorry I thought better [b]

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 25, 12 10:58 PM
textrekkie wrote:@OvrThRainbo - They meant HdO games.

HdO is a tradename of a series of Hidden Object games by a particular developer that, generally speaking, evoke automatic rejection from 99.5% of the gamers in the pond.

Thanks for the explanation, textrekkie! I wish would make it clear who the developer is when we are thinking of downloading a game for a trial. I recently saw a thread on this so I know other fishies would like the same feature. Apparently, if you are here long enough (or on other sites) you figure this out eventually...

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 25, 12 11:28 PM
textrekkie wrote:It sounds like most people want all games to work and look exactly the same and have exactly the same features. Where's the fun in that?

It's good that lots of people tried it out...and it sounds like it is a different style of hidden object game. But is it really terrible because it doesn't have voiceovers (or is that a personal preference). Does all the dialog make it awful? (Why, if you can skip it?)

Is this a first time developer? (I won't have a chance to download and look at the game until later in the week).

From comments I've read in the last month as a new fishie it seems that there ARE some people who almost fetishiize a certain type of game with a certain type of game play and reject any other type or variation. But I've also read reviews and comments by lots of people who get bored tired of the same old thing and really enjoy novelty, a twist, something different...even retro graphics or old-style play.

Personally, if the story line is good (yes, I like a good story with my game action) I want dialogue. Whether it is in print or is voiceover or a combination isn't really important Sometimes the game's theme itself aesthetically dictates the choice.For example, one of the many games I'm playing now is a fun piece of relaxing fluff based on a true character, a female World War I spy:
Secret Missions: Mata Hari & The Kaiser's Submarines

I couldn't possibly tell you right now whether there are voiceovers or if the dialogue is printed on the screen BUT I do remember THIS: SPOILER (but not of plot)

Because the story is set around 100 years ago (circa 1916) during the early years of the SILENT Movies - when dialogue was printed on the screen and IN-BETWEEN scenes there were printed cards w text which filled in story details and which were decorated with interesting graphics which might suit the time period or tone of the film - the game developers chose to include these printed cards in-between scenes in Mata Hari right down to the "flicker" effect of projecting a Silent Movie on a theater screen using a "Talkie" Movie projector (the number of frames per minute was different with each format - hence the flicker. The game developer also chose to make the cards B&W (Black & White) like Silent Movies AND designed in the type of "scratchiness" that one sees in old, un-restored Silent and Talkie pictures.

Go to: