Re:Reviews for Fierce Tales: The Dog's Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 5, 12 11:00 AM
Just finished the main game and bonus play, and was so glad it was over, which isn't usually the case, but I was just bored...sorry .
And I am a HUGE dog lover, but something was really lacking in the wow factor, for me anyway.

I thought the graphics were beautiful, and the story was refreshing, something different, and the map was very helpful, the hint system was great also.
BUT, I found the puzzles to be tedious instead of fun, there were a couple that I enjoyed doing, but for the most part, not my cup of tea.
It was also aggrivating that some of the items had to be an exact item, the game wanted, for example, I had a shovel that I couldn't use, it had to be a scoop, when a shovel would have worked just fine.

I know a lot of fishie's loved the game, and that is what makes the world go round, we all have different likes and dislikes, in a game.
So I am not saying its a bad game, just not something I enjoyed playing, so it was a waste of money for me, because I can't see myself ever playing it again.

For those that enjoyed it, happy gaming

[Post New]by DarkForestFaerie on Jul 6, 12 6:41 AM
Snake alert ! There is a scene in the demo with snakes. There are quite a few of them.

Thank you very much for the warning. I have a snake phobia, and I find them very upsetting. It's too bad that they have to put so many snakes in games. The little dog in this game is absolutely adorable, but because of the snake thing, I will not be buying it.

Sure wish the developers would get this message...

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 7, 12 5:02 AM
I was pretty dubious I would be able to play the full game because of the file size (old computer, updated programs, but old graphics card, etc.), but I did download the trial. It played fairly well on my computer although I did have some slowish cursor problems from time to time, but to my surprise, considering the glowing reviews, I also was kind of bored with it and exited before the demo was over. Nice graphics, story o.k., poor Pippa, but it just didn't grab me like some other CE's I have. So happy gaming to those who do love it, but I won't be checking out the SE as I thought I might.

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Jul 9, 12 3:02 AM
bellissima favola,sono molto contenta di aver acquistato la CE,è stato veramente un gioco bellissimo ed avvincente....bello tutto dalla grafica ai colori ai suggerimenti e la musica....posso solo dire che l'acquisto sono soldi ben spesi....buon divertimento...

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jul 12, 12 3:18 PM
Excellent game! I really enjoyed the bonus chapter! Highly recommend!

nosake
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by nosake on Jul 13, 12 1:39 PM
If it weren't for map jumping, I would have dumped this game 30 minutes in. As it was, I finished simply because I didn't want to waste the money. That said, I DID waste the money and the time.

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Jul 15, 12 10:31 PM
I wanted to like this game (yeah yeah I know a lot say that...). I just got done playing after stopping it (after playing quite a while) and then, thinking I was just in a crabby/tired/impatient mood, I continued the next night or even two later.

No, it wasn't a mood Yes I love dogs. Yes the graphics were very great. yes it was a long game.

However, as some said, it was just kind of "boring" is a cruel word to use since I know how much work goes into these.

I got sooooooooooooooooo tired of running all over. It got to be disjointed. You'd get to a great scene, find a puzzle you couldn't do anything with yet and were told "Gee, I guess I need instructions before I find the brains to do this" when it is the same stuff we've all done in our sleep. You'd find 2 or 3 items, none which you could use yet, find a place or two you shouldn't have been in yet, then it's time to move on. Then you'd find a gorgeous scene, explore a few places that were meant for later, get a tool or item you needed 45 minutes ago, and off you'd go. When you did find "that item" you had to go back 2 or 3 or 5 scenes to do that puzzle, finally, or open that locked door to be be told ...see? you are smart!....that you just couldn't finish it yet. I got so bored of this (oops, the "B" word...) that tonight I said "Dammit, I'm using the SG, the hints, I will click every inch of the HOGs scenes just to be done with this game and uninstall it. So I did.

I also got irritated at the dock of items popping up and down and up and down and up and down every time you'd click "down" to go "back".

By the end of the game I had no idea why I was doing what I was doing or why I cared.
The little dog was beyond adorable, though. In fact the highlight of the last part of the game was seeing if I could pronounce the names in the "credits" out loud to my dog, since i always read the credits.

Might just be me, I hate that a good part of a "long" game is merely spent making you run all over the place. This is "busywork", not "game time".

[Post New]by KowboyKrazi on Jul 27, 12 6:09 PM
I loved this game....new to the forums (blogging not reading, that I do every day and BEFORE I buy a game thanks to y'all) but I must admit I LOVE the recent games where helpful critters (dogs, cats) are part of the game play, would probably buy for that alone. NOT so much spiders and creepy crawlers.....unless they are super cute!!!! Thanks for each and every one of your reviews, very helpful and enlightening.

Kgirl

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Jul 28, 12 10:00 PM
I thought it was quite a well-done game, but the bonus gameplay was totally unecessary so don't feel you need to buy the CE.

nicedoggie
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by nicedoggie on Jul 28, 12 11:37 PM
Just finished the game and LOVED IT!! So glad I did buy the CD~ well worth it!
Thanks for the wonderful game!!!

Great Game

[Post New]by pinkcricket10 on Jul 29, 12 10:55 AM
For someone who didn't know what kind of dog Pippa is, I think he is a Norwich or Norfolk terrier. I have a dog who looks just like Pippa. Fun game! Great graphics! I loved it, but I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was at these games. Hidden objects were easy, but I rarely knew where to go as far as adventure went. I was constantly using the owl hint. Really enjoyed though. I played in Advance mode.

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Aug 1, 12 12:09 PM
DarkForestFaerie wrote: I have a snake phobia, and I find them very upsetting. It's too bad that they have to put so many snakes in games. The little dog in this game is absolutely adorable, but because of the snake thing, I will not be buying it.
Sure wish the developers would get this message...

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how people expect developers to write games so as to never, ever trigger a phobia. Heck, if developers operated on that principle, this game would never have been written - since irrational fear of dogs is one of the top ten phobias, ranking only slightly below fear of snakes & spiders.

If games had to eliminate common phobias, not only would there be no scenes involving dogs, snakes, and spiders, there would have to be no scenes involving heights, flying, clowns, needles, dolls, darkness, small enclosed places (claustrophobia), wide open places (agoraphobia), hospitals, and elevators.... to name just a few of the top 20 or so phobias.

Getting back to the game itself, I've finished the main game and am now playing the bonus chapter.
As someone who's been training and competing with dogs for many years, I found the game quite enjoyable other than the gawd-awful drawing & animation of Pippa, which a couple of other people have commented on. Other dog facts & pictures were quite good, no dogs or other animals were seriously harmed, and as someone else commented even the bad dogs were forced to be that way.
The graphics were well-done and clear, the music wasn't horribly annoying, and most of the puzzles were interesting, although I got fed up with a few and skipped them simply because figuring them out was taking too long - IOW I could easily have figured them out, it was just tedious doing it.
The HOG scenes were nice and clear; my only quarrel with them were a couple of spots where more than one object in the picture fitted the clue. For example, one clue said "telescope"; there was a small hand telescope - the sort that is sometimes called a "spyglass" - in the front of the picture, and another small mounted telescope in the back of the picture; but only one of them was correct.
There was a fair amount of to-and-fro, but the interactive map reduced frustration of that sort.
Bonus chapter is told from another POV, rather than being a continuation of original plot, and adds some "special abilities"... a nice change from the usual.
All in all, a fun game & I found it worth my money.

Opus1965
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Opus1965 on Aug 1, 12 3:28 PM
Joyfullady wrote:BASED ON FINISHING GAME AND BONUS - Congratulations and kudos on this really great game. Six hours of play plus almost 2 hours for bonus.

Can you tell me what the "extras" are? I usually pay for CE when there is a screensaver, but I won't waste the money if there is only concept art. Thanks

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Aug 1, 12 4:49 PM
Opus1965 wrote:
Can you tell me what the "extras" are? I usually pay for CE when there is a screensaver, but I won't waste the money if there is only concept art. Thanks

Concept art, music, wallpapers, and a bonus chapter. Bonus chapter is a decent length, and it isn't the usual "tack on one more task" bonus, but a "prequel" chapter from a different point of view.

Opus1965
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Opus1965 on Aug 2, 12 6:48 AM
sionnach_dhu wrote:
Opus1965 wrote:

Concept art, music, wallpapers, and a bonus chapter. Bonus chapter is a decent length, and it isn't the usual "tack on one more task" bonus, but a "prequel" chapter from a different point of view.

Thanks!

[Post New]by anastasia4444 on Aug 20, 12 2:38 AM
I recently bought this game and I enjoyed it very, very much. It was a great storyline which had me hooked until the very end. The mini games were brilliant as was the hidden object scenes and the graphics were just superb. Again, a huge thankyou as this was also my first time in buying a game from BF and I did not encounter any problems at all. All in all, a very satisfied 'little fishy'.......

PS thanks to bfgbiwa for pointing me here......

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Aug 24, 12 11:11 PM
I'm a dog lover, so of course I bought this after playing the demo. Good graphics, nice music, interesting concept.

Unfortunately, as the game progressed, I got more and more frustrated. I felt like I was going to punch my computer next time I saw a "I can use something here". Absolutely useless! When I click on something, I want extra information. Sometimes, I wasn't even all that clear on what, exactly, I was looking at, or what needed to be done. The game gave me no help, and I ended up using the SG heavily near the end of the game because nothing was intuitive. The "soap" puzzle made no sense at all to me, and I skipped it.

So, word to the makers: When you make the sequel, please don't just cut and paste "I can use something here" whenever an action is required. For instance, the thing with using a diamond in a hole in the ceiling in order to illuminate the crack in the wall was not something that would've occurred to me. "I need something to focus the moonlight" would've made that a whole lot clearer. Instead, I had to use the SG to figure out what I was supposed to do. And the mining wagon--all the text said was, "This is in my way." So, when I got the lever, I tried to use it there. It didn't work. Meanwhile, all the door was saying was, "I can use something here." Again, even something like, "What could I use to pull this door open?" would've made things much clearer. You don't have to spell things out, but at least give a hint toward the correct course of action.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Sep 26, 12 9:08 PM
Just finished CE and as a review-phobic will agree with most all of the positive reviews BUT I am sooo tired of back&forth&back&forth that I lost interest in whole game, in self defense I used the hint button as much as needed to get to where I was supposed to be,
Sorry for the bah-humbug for all the walking but here it is.
, just plane tired of game and glad it is finished

Edited on 09/26/2012 at 9:13:35 PM PST

salyandpepper
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by salyandpepper on Sep 28, 12 9:26 AM
It is not often that I make a comment for a game, others are much better at it than me, but in this instance I had to. What a different and lovely game, makes a change from the usual car crash at the start. I thought it was quite amusing that you have to discover why the dogs are behaving strangely, the reason, I am a dog behaviourist. LOL. Do try this game its a pleasant change.

lookywho
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by lookywho on Oct 3, 12 6:18 AM
this was a very fun game everything was clear and I found its a very easy game..the only part bother me was the dog getting hurt..but I no its just a game enjoyed very much

Go to: