Re:Reviews for Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DarkForestFaerie on Jul 7, 12 3:04 PM
This game looked really promising with the beautiful outdoor scenes...I thought I could finally relax and enjoy a game that hopefully wouldn't be snake-ridden. The one by the gate wasn't too bad, but that cobra at the top of the stairs! OH MY GOSH! I don't even want to finish this game. This issue of constantly having snakes in games really baffles me. I know there are other fishies who dislike them, and I wish there was some way to evaluate each game and give a fair warning to others. I also wish we could ask developers to be more sensitive to people that don't like snakes, spiders, etc.

Apart from the snake issues in this game, I really did enjoy it. The dog and the kitten were cute All of the Grim Facade games are excellent...this one just went a little too far for my liking.

susieq12
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by susieq12 on Jul 8, 12 8:12 AM
Really enjoyed this game. Loved the scenes; just over all a great game. Thanks.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jul 8, 12 9:46 AM
Just finished the game, I can't wait until the dev's comes out with more like this game, Congrats DEV's You all out did yourselves on this game..Keep up the good work..I was very happy with this game and i was sorry for the game to end..
Thx BF for the love you should your members..

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jul 8, 12 6:35 PM
This was a most outstanding game!! Beautiful graphics and voice overs, and the puppy was ADORABLE!!!...looks so similar to one of the two I just rescued and saved from parvo.... Game play was very long, SG was very helpful and kept it's place. I didn't use any hints, so can't comment on that... The bonus play was of decent length, but a couple of the HO scenes were definitely developed by the "B" team... Guess that's how they learn.

I've been reading for a while in other threads that the widescreen mode doesn't work. It won't if you CHECK it... leave it unchecked and it works fine (for me, anyway).

I really can't wait for more exceptional games from this developer. I highly suggest you try this one, and feel you will be hooked from the beginning!!! I look forward to shelving this for a while and playing it again. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Jul 9, 12 6:30 PM
Wow.

They really pulled a fast one. But the game (and story) were well constructed. Not only did they manage to make a six (seven?) chapter game feel long, but just when you thought that you knew who was the murderer, they introduce a character not previously seen. Usually, this might be seen as a cop-out, or cheating, just to keep ahead of the player, but the way they manage to keep the suspense and the momentum prevented that from happening.

My only two quibbles are the graphics and the music. The graphics, while nice, could have used a bit more polishing. And the music...well, I think there were two themes at the most, the rest were variations of those themes. Perhaps a couple of more themes next time.

Overall, a great game. And they rarely come out nowadays, so congratulations!

gatorgal637
Minnow
Minnow
204 Posts

[Post New]by gatorgal637 on Jul 10, 12 8:04 AM
I can't understand why everyone likes this game so much. It is way way too easy. No challenge at all. Yes, the graphics are pretty, but that does not make up for a lazy game from a great developer. I usually like all of ERS games, and bought this one based on the reviews and the faith I have in the developers previously good games. But I am really disenchanted with it. I have played it twice now and the second time I just buzzed right through it. Some other games, I have to stop to think even on 2nd and 3rd time playing. Not this one. At least I got it on sale, and used the 3 punches to get another game. I have to learn to be more thoughtful in my choices.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 11, 12 12:28 PM
I loved this game!! Even tho I was really, really, really (!!) disappointed when it went back to the same old boring, annoying HOS. I was actually enjoying the HOS that you had to find 12 or 10 of the same objects (I agree with you, Valdy) and the shape of the objects to find to use on another object. But other than that, I had a really good time playing this game. I agree with the other reviewers that without the Bonus game, you wouldn't get the whole story. Kind of crappy that you have to buy the CE or that you bought the SE and THEN found out about the storyline. Well, anyway, beautiful graphics, interesting story, nice surroundings and pretty simple puzzles - I only skipped two, and that's pretty good for me! I found a few things kind of ridiculous (as far as logic goes, as some other reviewers have mentioned), like when the garbage can is on fire, the poor doggy just lays in the path of the smoke, but as soon as the smoke is gone, he runs around the side of the garage - why didn't he just do that in the first place?! Little things like that kind of annoy me, but all in all, loved the dog and little cat and the game!

feenix

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Jul 14, 12 2:35 PM
My third Grim Facade game, and very predictable I must say, Although I quite enjoyed it and I do like the fact you have to buy some things as you go, as opposed to just finding stuff so thats lying around all the time!
The graphics are always lovely, so if I get a bit bored I look at the scenery!
BUT please think of some different plots/twists to get me to buy your stuff again!!!!

Edited on 07/14/2012 at 2:35:48 PM PST

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Jul 14, 12 2:49 PM
Another terrific offering from ERS. The graphics are beautiful and I happen to like the fact that the puzzles are not super difficult as they tend to be my weak spot and I really dislike skipping them if I can manage to solve them.

Cool "whodunit mystery" storyline, though I have to say I had the ending figured out almost from the beginning (I won't say any more; no spoilers).

One quibble: yet another game in the last few weeks with an abrupt and rather unsatisfying ending. I encountered this same thing with "Phenomenon: City of Cyan;" where I was playing along happily and then WHAM! GAME OVER!

Many Fishies had the same complaint about "Shutter Island" as well but in that case the game was also disappointingly short; it seems as though these shock endings are becoming the vogue or something.

Still worth the price; ERS games are always fun and beautiful to look at.

***1/2 out of four.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Jul 18, 12 12:44 PM
I just finished the game, I really liked it, some of the puzzles were easy and them some were hard. It was well worth my money, I thought it was a pretty long game, even the extra game part was pretty long.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Jul 20, 12 11:54 AM
ERS does not disappoint me. It is one of the good developers. The graphics, voice over and the HOS are very good. .

Edited on 07/20/2012 at 12:36:01 PM PST

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jul 20, 12 8:45 PM
I usually can't have enough good things to say about any ERS title, but this one and Penumbra Hotel were not very satisfactory to me. The graphics, music, animations and voice overs are their usual high quality--but the story line is really difficult to follow. I like the Venice Grim Fascade game much better, at least the story made sense to me. Just a little advice here, if you want to understand what happened in the main game, getting the Collector's Edition is a must--otherwise none of it will make much sense. I never complain about having too many hidden object scenes, that's why I buy Hidden Object games and tend not to by interactive titles (like Penumbra hotel) that are mostly puzzles from beginning to end. I think this game had enough hidden object scenes to satisfy most players and enough puzzles to keep the puzzle lovers happy.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give this game about a 6 because without the "bonus" chapter one would not have an intelligible or complete story line. I ask ERS to try to make the main game a complete story and the bonus chapters just icing on the cake. Those who buy the standard edition won't have a complete gaming experience otherwise.

[Post New]by OliveRidley on Aug 1, 12 11:12 AM
I played this game through however I found it to be rather disappointing. While I realise that the storyline in a game is only a vehicle to help the game play along I believe it’s supposed to make a reasonable amount of sense; this one really felt like a bad first draft. It was like the ideas were there and they wanted to get them down quickly before they forgot but then they never got around to going back and writing them out properly. The almost total disregard for the murdered women and the corpses left lying around the place was actually disconcerting, coupled with the muddled plot it ended up overshadowing the game play for me. I don’t think I could recommend this game.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Aug 1, 12 3:25 PM
I liked it and bought it, but I found that the Strategy Guide had some problems. Did anyone else notice that?

For example, in the bonus game, the Strategy Guide does not tell you where the mop is; it just says to use the bucket and mop on the puddle!

Edited on 08/02/2012 at 6:52:10 AM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Aug 20, 12 3:39 PM
FINALLY....an ERS game, that had GREAT puzzles, that I really LOVED solving for once, to go along with this BEAUTIFUL game, which made it the full package, for me !!

I agree with Scottsteau63 and Valdy on the puzzles, so glad that ERS made them manageable, for those of us who aren't puzzle masters, made me really enjoy this game by them, so much more, than I usually do.
Plus, I hate to buy a CE, if I have to skip most of the puzzles, its like buying half a game, so thanks a bunch ERS .
I had wide screen without changing any settings, loved the story, the graphics were stunning, I wanted so badly to pet the kitty, Soooo CUTE and realistic looking, loved the doggy also, but the kitty's eyes, got to me.

From the moment I played the demo, I knew it was going to be a MUST buy, loved the telephone booth, and the way everything was set up, got a good feeling that it was going to be a fantastic game, and it was.
The game play was very interactive and engaging, with unique interaction, that I haven't seen before, which made the game play, that much more FUN .I just loved the different H0 scene's, and the regular ones also, can never have to many of those, at least not for me anyway .
I also enjoyed having to use the coins to buy things in the shop, fun twist ...which made the game a little unique, in that aspect, and I enjoyed figuring out which item I needed to buy at that time.
What REALLY made me happy is the level of difficulty, with having 3 choices, than EVERYONE can choose which level suits them best..THANKS FOR THAT developers, BIG ..some of us aren't as advanced as others , talking about myself of course, so the casual was PERFECT and made the game play flow perfectly for me .
IMHO, I think ERS did a fantastic job with this game, and I hope they stick with this format, in future games, I had SOOOO much FUN playing this from start to finish.
I also ENJOYED the bonus game as much as the main game, so well done, I was so sad to see it end, but all good things must come to and end..lol

On that note, I'll end by saying this is my FAVORITE game made by ERS, thus far, it had everything I look for in a game, and I just LOVED every single puzzle also, that is saying a lot, coming from a picky puzzle person..lol .

Edited on 08/20/2012 at 3:43:07 PM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 8, 12 3:45 PM
one of the few games where i did not need the hint button even once! i am glad i got the c/e (in the sale) as the end of the s/e did not make a lot of sense.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Nov 19, 12 6:52 PM
I've just finished this game and while it was long, I didn't think it matched in quality with other ERS games which I pretty much have the whole collection. I too, found the music repetitive and I would have been peeved if I had only bought the SE as the ending was so abrupt that you needed the bonus play to finish it. The best bonus games are when the game itself is complete and the bonus play adds another dimension or finishes a play within the game.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 4, 12 8:17 PM
Good grief, I finally finished this game. This game was so ornerous that I actually forgot what I was doing and who I was suppose to save or whatever I was suppose to do. Way too many things going on that were all over the place. NO jump map, no map at all and this game needed it. You did need to read the journal because it had things in it to help you through even though you don't remember putting them there!

Mini games didn't make a whole lot of sense and the instructions were really not all there. Skip took forever to refresh as did the hint if you ran out of little fans. Quite a few HOS and games. This game was a lengthy one and that is usually good if the story hangs together with all you are suppose to do. But to run all over the place gathering items just to be a bolt is nuts. I give this a 2 out of 5 and will be glad to trash from my game inventory!

The bonus game completes the story such as it is.

Edited on 12/04/2012 at 8:18:12 PM PST

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jan 24, 13 5:51 AM
This was an enjoyable game, but I found I did not like it as much as I thought I would. It was a bit drab and disappointing as the storyline moved on. The artwork seemed somewhat hazy in more than a few areas. The first in this series had more beautiful scenery.

The story was weak, and the bonus game really was needed to complete it, so those with the SE would not have the full storyline.

But overall it was a nice mix of adventure, hidden objects and puzzles and was a good length, with about the right amount of challenge for a relaxing play.

ERS needs to develop their games in widescreen format at this point. They have been behind the times in that regard for about two years now.

tangawarra
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by tangawarra on Mar 24, 13 10:13 AM
Overall, not bad.
I just ignored the storyline, I have yet to play a game with an even half-way decent murder mystery plot, so I didn't bother trying to follow it.
The HOS and puzzles were good, but not too difficult.
All in all not too challenging but enjoyable to play.
BUT the one thing that really bugs me (in other games as well) why, oh why do I have to find knifes or other cutting implement OVER AND OVER AGAIN? They even make you put together the multitool and then it's discarded after one use. Why wouldn't I keep it? It's ridiculous.
Just once I would like to play a game, where the detective (or hero or whatever) doesn't just throw things away all the time, or even - revolutionary thought - maybe came equipped for the job s/he sets out to do.
Other than that, nice game. Not as good as the Venice one, though.

Go to: