gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 21, 12 5:26 PM
continued -

BONUS PLAY (see earlier about other extras)

I found the quality of graphics better in the bonus. (interestingly all the screenshots are from the bonus!!)

It took me 1hr 20 mins (advanced, no hints, no skipping etc) but I think I’m quite fast in some puzzles so think it would take most people at least that long? It was all set in new area.

HOS – Three different traditional scenes which you play all of them 3 times.
Puzzles – Fit marbles in an area – play that 6 times, there are four other different puzzles.

I had to repeat the whole game as I got a glitch in bonus HOS (few others have reported similiar) so I'd wait until it's fixed before buying.

It's so frustrating this game as I love the puzzles, love that they tried to do something different with extras and it was far better than concept art and wallpaper! I just wish the HOS weren't repeated (which I hate) and started a new series with a different better plot.

Edited on 07/22/2012 at 5:27:51 PM PST

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

Thumbs Down

[Post New]by chumface on Jul 22, 12 3:55 PM
repetitive and not near as good as the first three!

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jul 23, 12 10:31 AM
There were aspects of this game that I really enjoyed. Great HOS's but no map so a LOT of backtracking. The identical puzzles on each and every powder box wore on my nerves. I understand the desire for continuity in the game but that really seemed like someone just being lazy. It would have been nice to see different puzzles rather than different levels of the same puzzle. My computer did not like the Bonus Play on this one. It literally shut me down with no explanation, rebooted for a brief period of further play and was booted out again. When I logged out of BFGM, my desktop graphics had gone wonky and this morning I had to run a complete system check to restart my computer. According to AVG PC Clean Up there were over 1700 errors associated with my game.

As always the graphics were wonderful. It was a cool story. I'm glad, all in all, that I bought it.

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by kpajak on Jul 24, 12 5:03 AM
Hi all, almost done with this game, it's a really good game except for the same mini puzzles, very boring, the same game over and over. Not a fan of that part of it, otherwise graphics, music, theme, very good.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Jul 25, 12 12:08 PM
(4 out of 5)
Pretty good game in the series. At first I didn't mind the repetitive nature of the mini-games because they got more challenging, but after about the 3rd time around it got boring. Thank goodness Skip refills fairly quickly!
Recommended, but be aware that the mini-games are very repetitive.

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Jul 27, 12 11:12 AM
Lackluster sequel to an amazing series. This one was kind of all over the place and didn't draw me in as the first three games had. Very disappointing graphics - especially compared to some of the really superb games today. Sorry I bought it as a CE. Save your money and wait for the standard edition!

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Jul 27, 12 5:03 PM
Really enjoyed the first three but....CE vs SE - after reading about the glitches in the bonus game I think I will wait for the SE, I play games to relax, not to get frustrated!

Chaorite
Clownfish
Clownfish
940 Posts

[Post New]by Chaorite on Jul 31, 12 5:52 AM
Having played the first 3 in the series (and despite disliking the third terribly) I was interested to see what this one would bring.

It led in quite oddly, none of the usual castle scenes that we saw in the first two instalments. It could almost be a stand alone story in itself.

I got a little muddled chasing some of the items and finding where they belonged but on the plus side, there is an amazing array of scenes open to the player, more so than the last games I think.

Messing with the switches to open those boxes is a little repetitive and boring but since skip refreshes so quickly, it was quite easy to just get a cup of coffee and come back and continue play.

Admittedly, the graphics weren't top notch but they were certainly reasonable. There is a nice mixture of classic HOG and scenes where objects previously found are replaced. Fans of the first two games would be familiar with this concept already.

The bonus game was quite reasonable in length. In fact, I've seen some SE games which are about the same length as this bonus game itself!

Which brings me to game length. Skipping some puzzles and playing pretty consistently, I managed to comfortably play through in about 6 hours. I thought that was pretty reasonable considering I can finish some games in about 2-3 hours flat.

Where music and effects were concerned, I always play with them turned off in the options unless necessity dictates otherwise. I have had too many really bad voice talents over the years to risk grating my nerves yet again.

I played the game on a laptop with Windows Visa 64 bit and it played perfectly in full screen mode with no game glitches at all.

I think it's a great addition to the Echoes family and will be enjoyed by many beginner to intermediate players, CE or SE.

patcam52
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by patcam52 on Aug 3, 12 1:19 PM
Played it, loved it, had NO problems with it, will most definately play again, LOVED the Hint system, would like to see more like that. Wonderful game!!!

[Post New]by Margret_G on Aug 6, 12 4:05 AM
Nice game. Preferred the first ones. But it was ebjoyable enough.

[Post New]by arvindk4 on Aug 6, 12 3:09 PM
i am a first time Forum user. Coz, most of the time i enjoy the HOS games.Though the graphics are good and the puzzles were not too bad, i thought there was no 'FLOW' to the story and there was a lot of going 'back and forth' and it was not just 2 or 3 screens. overall, of all the HOS games, i have purchased, i did not feel this as a CE game was up to par. Again, this is my opinion.

[Post New]by arvindk4 on Aug 6, 12 3:11 PM
i have enjoyed,BFG so much that i did not even remember i had posted here twice earlier. LOL

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Aug 6, 12 8:26 PM
I enjoyed the other 'Echoes' titles, so I bought this one sight-unseen with the full expectation that I would enjoy it just as much. Almost true, but not quite.

I actually thought this installment seemed tame compared to the others. It also bothered me a lot that the layout of the castle was completely different - all four games are supposed to be happening in the same castle, so why was this one so different in appearance? I didn't understand that.

I really expected there to be something more of a twist to the story, that a character would have betrayed the others or someone would turn out to be different than I expected. Nope. In that respect it was disappointing. And the witch just vanished forever without much of a fight, so that was a let-down too. The graphics were good as usual, and the puzzles were sufficiently challenging in the main game.

To be honest, I didn't enjoy the bonus game at all. The puzzles in which I had to place the little electric bobs into the correct spots were, to me, both difficult and boring. I just waited until my skip button filled for each one of them because they annoyed me so! I haven't yet tried the editor to make my own levels, so I can't comment on that.

On the whole, this wasn't bad, but I think the other games in the series are much superior to it.

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Aug 13, 12 3:23 PM
bello...bello ...bello...molto coinvolgente ...ho tutta la serie e devo dire che mi piace molto questo tipo di gioco.molto bella la grafica,i colori e l'atmosfera......merita la CE ...grande....!!!

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Aug 15, 12 3:57 PM
Had a Sunday to myself to catch up on housework, but I started playing this game and could not start. Enjoyed it immensely Thanks BF for a great offering.

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Aug 15, 12 7:52 PM
I've played every game in this series to date and I liked this game, but not as much as the last installment in the series. I found the mini-games very frustrating and difficult. I hated the circuit boxes and electronic orbs. I liked the hidden object scenes and the story was ok. At this point I don't think they can do anything more with this story and perhaps this should be the last installment and Orneon could move on to another story cycle. The music was lack luster and somewhat redundant and nothing new from the other games in the series. It took me a long time to get through this game, it is plenty long for the money and the bonus game did add another dimension to the story, but for the more ecomony minded they could get a complete story with the SE version. The bonus game is nice and long, though, and I'd reccomend fans of the Echoes of the Past series to spring for the CE version. The artwork and voice overs are well done.

My final analysis is that I'd give this game a 4 out of 5 stars. Worth the money, but not the best of the series.

TeachumWell
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by TeachumWell on Aug 18, 12 9:44 PM
I've played the others in this series but I enjoyed this one the most. It's conected to the previous games but can and does stand alone. The graphics are clear vivid and mouse accuracy in HO scenes is excellent. The story is eerie without being a horror tale, so players wanting to avoid "blood and guts" themes will relax with this one. As others have mentioned there's lots of back-traking but it isn't an aimless hunt for what to do. Sequences are logical and there's a good level of mystery but not so much as to greatly befuddle the player. The bonus game "dove-tails" right into the main story so is very satisfactory. Puzzles are playable from the main menu if you've finished the regular and bonus games and a puzzle creator is included. While that option didn't particulary impress me it may hold the interest of other players. I all, a super game with just enoughbells and whistles to make it totally worthwhile.

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Aug 21, 12 1:50 PM
Good game. Puzzles good but as others have said they got repetitive. A map would have been nice too as too much running around.

[Post New]by nysasblaze on Aug 27, 12 4:06 AM
Game was good but didn't quite draw me in the same as the previous 3, the box switch puzzle I quite enjoyed and the reverse HOGs.
The bonus game disappointed me, very few HOGs and the the repeditive puzzles which I must admit after the 1st one the skip button was my friend.
In this instance I wish I'd waited for the standard edition.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Nov 8, 12 10:21 AM
Review based upon completion of game and bonus chapter.

This is the 4th installment of this series and there will be a fifth. This is the first time I bought the CE. Again we go to the kingdom of Orion to fight the same witch. This time around she creates evil versions of perfectly harmless things that you have to normalise again using magic powder. All of which are trapped in a box that you open with the same puzzle.

The Good:

+ very decent game length
+ graphics
+ varied puzzles
+ excellent hint function (and you will need it!) and good strategy guide
+ varied puzzles
+ quite interesting storyline

The Neutral:

o this game series used to be spider free, this time you get a giant one (no interaction, it's only there for a while until you powder it away) - 6 small ones as amulets in the bonus game, but if you can stand the ginormous one those are a piece of cake
o I did not care for the peggle jump and molecule placement puzzles
o items are placed back into the HO scenes

The Bad:

- item distribution not wise: you get some items early that you drag around for a long while until you finally get to use it
- same goes for the opening of rooms - you open too many rooms with too many riddles at once...
- ...so in short words: you always have too many riddles but not the items you need for them
- no quick travel -> lots of senseless to and fro
- some puzzles are repeated ad nauseam: light up the lines 10 times, place molecules 6 times, peggle jump 3 times
- not many different HO scenes, some of them repeated up to 3 times

Bonus Content: The Epilogue starts immediately after the showdown and took me 90 minutes. It seems to build a bridge to EotP V, which apparently will play in the present. The overly dramatic introduction ("Be the first to find the book!") doesn't hold up to its promise, there is no race. The other boni are a repetition of the mini games and a level creator for a open door puzzle. You can chose the level layout and the symbols you want to use. Then just press play and you have created your own puzzle. It's not much, but kudos to the developer for bringing up something different than the usual extras.

Bottom Line: The tried something different and the game fits well with the series. However, the negative points tainted my enjoyment of the game. If you don't mind the repetitions it's okay. The bonus content doesn't seem necessary for the full picture.

Go to: