BereniceP
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

Re:Reviews for Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector`s Edition

[Post New]by BereniceP on Aug 18, 12 4:17 PM
Well the graphics are lovely and the story line is OK too. My problem is that you have to travel 6 scenes to pick up and object to help you with the problem in the original scene. Over and over again. It is very tedious and what at first glance (playing the demo) appeared to be a really nice game, turned into a long hard tedious slog. Could not even be bothered to play the bonus chapter. There is no pleasure in travelling countless times from scene to scene and back again. Not enough mini games and.... I really think that the demo should have shown the game for what it really was. I enjoyed the demo but everything about the game is in the demo and the rest of it was rubbish.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Aug 18, 12 8:07 PM
amuzed wrote:I tried to play the sample of this game and I just couldn't do it...the music was ok I guess but the sound effects were driving me nuts. A owl hooted every 10 seconds, I mean seriously! It ruined the gameplay completely! I tried to play for a bit with the sound off but it just didn't pull me into the game without any sound at all. Really disappointed because this game did seem interesting....
(repost from another thread)

My sentiments EXACTLY, amuzed!! That incessant & irritating hooting turned out to be a deal-breaker for me. It completely took you out of the game, which from the looks of it, seemed to be a fine game. However, that owl had to be one of the most idiotic programming elements of a game I've heard in a LONG time! No buy, no way, no how...

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Aug 19, 12 11:56 AM
I played the demo and thought well enough of it to buy it. It's not a blow your socks off CE by any means but I was needing(?) a new HOG to play. I'm glad my expectations weren't too high because I'd have been even more disappointed.

913MB file size? Don't let the file size fool you into thinking this game has a lot of game play. Turns out this is just another of those CE that have been padded to make them bigger than necessary. Too many trips through scenes that add no value to game play. Too much senseless moving from one side of the landscape to another. Click, click, click. Back and forth, up and down. All that running without a diary, map or useful task list.

It's game design like this that is scaring me away from adventure type HOGs.

Spoiler:
If I have the power to see through things, why do I need to Gerry-rig the piano to knock a hole in the wall?

MO

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Aug 19, 12 12:00 PM
BereniceP wrote:Well the graphics are lovely and the story line is OK too. My problem is that you have to travel 6 scenes to pick up and object to help you with the problem in the original scene. Over and over again. It is very tedious and what at first glance (playing the demo) appeared to be a really nice game, turned into a long hard tedious slog. Could not even be bothered to play the bonus chapter. There is no pleasure in travelling countless times from scene to scene and back again. Not enough mini games and.... I really think that the demo should have shown the game for what it really was. I enjoyed the demo but everything about the game is in the demo and the rest of it was rubbish.

Just saw this post after making mine. I completely agree with you. This game isn't the only one but it is the best example of scene padding to-date.

Edited on 08/19/2012 at 12:00:43 PM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Aug 20, 12 12:24 PM
I didn't realize when I downloaded this that it was a CE, but started to play the demo anyway. Didn't last long in the demo. I had to turn off the annoying music right away and go to the system curser because the game curser was reallly irritating; very large and clumbsy as was the magnifying glass. Also had to turn down the sounds. The HINT button was only useful in the HOS which were easy, but otherwise it only said to "go elsewhere"...good grief. After being told to "go elsewhere" and there was nowhere else to go and nothing in my inventory except 2 of 3 buttons so I could not do anything I finally went to the strategy guide because I figured I had to find the missing button...The strategy guide was even more useless the the HINT button and covered nothing and didn't even give the location of the missing button. So there was "nothing I could do", so I quit playing.

Glad I didn't purchase this outright. Glich in system? Who knows. Graphics were very good and HOS were clear...too bad, this game had potential. Maybe when the SE comes out, things will be better? Only a 1 at this point.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Aug 20, 12 4:33 PM
I really enjoyed this one even though the music and that darn hoot owl were annoying! there was a lot of needless running around, and if there was a map I didn't see it. When will the developers get it that a long play game, made long because of all the to-ing and fro-ing does not make a game CE material??

The bonus game pulled everything together and completed the story, so I'm glad I bought it. It would have been weird to have just stopped when the main game ended.

This is one I'll play again... with my grandnieces to help them exercise their memory... after I buy them running shoes....

If you don't mind a marathon, you'll probably love it, but I highly suggest you try before you buy....

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 24, 12 3:05 PM
I bought this game during the buy one get one CE sale. If I would have just paid CE price without the added initiative, I would have been angry with myself. The graphics were beautiful and the HOS were just the right difficulty, but it got tiring having to go back and forth between scenes so many times to collect one thing and take it to another. I kept forgetting what went where. Attention developers: please include a map. A map to jump from one place to another would be great, but if not that, at least a map so we know where we are.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Aug 24, 12 9:09 PM
thanks, as always, for the excellent reviews. i enjoyed this game very much. i liked the humor, the puzzles and hos and thought the story line very interesting. i play on mediocre, not easy not killer hard, and thoroughly enjoyed having to figure out what to do and where to go. the bonus game was an excellent finish, so i will recommend the CE. i have no earthly use for any of the other extras so maybe the devs will consider including the bc into the game itself and eliminating all the extra frills and charge a median price between se and ce.
one suggestion: include the map. old fins get tired and stiff from over clicking....
happy fish swimming in the pond tonight!

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Aug 25, 12 3:22 AM
Am in the middle of playing this and wish I had never bought it. The lack of a map makes it so tedious.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Aug 25, 12 2:34 PM
Have just finished demo and thought I'd come and check out the reviews before I bought, which is what I tend to do nowadays! You guys tell it how it is, so I trust your instincts!
I wasn't that impressed with the game, so was glad to see that most of you are waiting for the SE which I think I shall do also, it's an OK game, but not worth CE dosh.
I turn off sound or have it really low, cos I play so many games with annoying soundtracks! And I really hate hooting owls, cawing ravens and mewing cats!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 30, 12 7:43 AM
Just finished playing both the main and bonus games. I absolutely loved this game. I thought the graphics were beautiful, the story not exactly original, but still interesting, the music lovely and the mini-games were really fun and not all that challenging, which is just the way I like them! Now, liking the game so much, I hate to mention the few things that DID drive me nuts. In the HOS (once again), the names of some of the objects I just didn't get ie: "spica" (sheaf of wheat?!), "marquee" (circus tent?!), etc. Also, sometimes a "clothespin" was a "clothespin" and sometimes it was a "safety pin". What's with that? And the part in the main part of the game where you can't pull a piece of metal out of straw!!! Whaaaaaaat??? And of course, the biggest complaint I have is the same as alot of the reviewers - waaaaayyyy too much back and forth. The worst I've come across so far. If ever a game needed a map that you could jump to scenes, its this one. But, on the whole, I really did enjoy myself. Believe it or not!!!

feenix

lucygirl7
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by lucygirl7 on Aug 30, 12 5:00 PM
This was really a great game and I hate to be nit picky BUT for crying out loud, how many rooms to do you need to bypass to pick up one item and go 10 rooms upstairs to use one item and all the way back down again to use just one more item. Come on! Really!!! At least you could have a map to jump to where you need to go. I got so frustrated. i'ts just not worth it. I'm going to be very careful from now on what "perks" these games have before I buy.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Sep 3, 12 10:50 AM
Just finished playing the main game, and the bonus chapter, got the CE on sale, so felt it was worth, what I paid, for it.

This is one of those games, that has it's good points, and not so good points, but for the most part, I enjoyed the game .
What I really liked was the special powers, it took a while to earn each one, but I thought the developers did an excellent job with the way, they set up the game play, to get each power, and use them.
There where some tricky spots, trying to figure out, what to do next, to get the item needed, but I thought there were flashes of brilliance, in the game, the way everything unfolded, once you figured it out, some very cool moments indeed .
Some of the puzzles were really FUN and imaginative, LOVED the one were you had to place drums, violin etc, to the musician's, it took patience, but I did it..lol.
And I enjoyed the one were you had to place all of the music items in the correct order, string, purcussion and band instraments .
I thought the graphics were beautiful, and artwork was very detailed, making the scenes so pretty, to look at, and the characters were very well done .
I also loved the music, didn't find any one sound over-bearing, like others have mentioned, just MHO of course .

HOWEVER,....I did find that the game had a negative, although it didn't ruin the game, it is still a BIG negative IMHO .
All of the back and forth, talk about wearing sneakers out, I had blisters the size of bolders on my heel's , until finally the soles fell completely off of my sneakers.
Way to much, back and forth, that is my only complaint with this game, so developers PLEASE next time, give us a map .
Having said that, the rest of the game was very enjoyable, very well thought out with the magical powers, which really adds to the game play, and one of the reasons why I enjoyed playing this one.
Developers, I can see the talent you all have, the bonus game was done very well also, the only thing, I see lacking is a map.
If you incorperate that in future games, I see a bright future , because the rest was spot on, and a lot of FUN to play !!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 10, 12 11:48 AM
Enjoying the game so far; appreciate the gorgeous graphics and attention to detail.

For me, I enjoy hearing the owl hooting in the background and would welcome that with any and all 'spooky' games I play... YET> if one listens carefully (and I was wearing good quality headphones so as to not annoy family members with my gameplaying, lol), there were actually other sounds than the owl and I believe those were what were causing the ANNOYING SFX.

Rather than the owl, it is actually an irritating ghoulish, grating SOUND IN BETWEEN the owl... and it was as agitating as nails screeching across a blackboard and in addition, includes some kind of whoosing sound and slight laughterish echoes. Again, IMO, truly, rather than the owl .... it was the 'other' added background sounds that were irritatingly annoying, consistent and bothersome.

So, devs, please (IMO) keep the owl and ditch the SUBTLE but annoyingly ghoulish nails on the blackboard / whooshing and evil laughing background sound or at least keep it to a meer minimum.

I'm playing on the Expert (or whatever the most advanced mode) is because I don't enjoy any sparklees in my gameplaying and, OH.... also will add kudos on keeping any overt occult symbolism out while still keeping the scary in.

eta: The beginning soundtrack is actually Night on Bald Mountain... remember Fantasia, a D-isn-ey movie, and IS bold and powerful.

Edited on 09/10/2012 at 1:07:16 PM PST

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Sep 27, 12 5:23 AM
divertente,veloce la ricarica dell'aiuto,bella la grafica,colori e azzeccata la musica,molto belle le animazioni,nel complesso un buon gioco.Ho acquistato la versione CE e mi aspettavo un bonus di gioco,ma non l'ho trovato.consiglio quindi la versione SE....buon gioco a tutti

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 28, 12 7:35 PM
i am about halfway through and my main peeve is all the running around and the delay between scenes. some of the reviews have stated that if their screens are over 20" they have the dreaded black bars. my screen is 27" and the game fills it!

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 29, 12 2:17 AM
There is no independent review of this game at fave review site. Players there gave it 3.5 stars. PC players here gave it 4 stars, but in truth the opinions were mixed. Hardly a mention of the bonus game play; many reviewers did not get past the demo. One 5 star CE review said there was no bonus chapter. I gather the story goes further than it will in the SE by the BFG description of "Story-expanding extra content." A review of the SE said even that version was quite long.

I started playing the game quite expecting to be disappointed; to the contrary I was surprised when the hour ended abruptly in the middle of a math puzzle. Not that I was entirely thrilled…
• No voice overs
• No journal
• No map
• Hog heavy -- all interactive with lists
• A bit too much back and forth
• Expert mode still has too much informative black bar info

So what kept my interest?…
• Widescreen on my 24" iMac running LION
• Stunning, richly detailed and animated graphics. This game is from the makers of the Haunted Manor series, you will recognize the artistic style.
• 3 modes of play including expert which has long hints and skips but absolutely no sparkles.
• The puzzles are not all same old; those that are fit within the theme artistically.
• The game is not linear, although certain elements are available only after performing particular actions.
• Yes, another witch, but the story goal is a bit different and you play as the main character who really, really needs to solve the problem.
• 12 Snake Keys to find -- reason why is not self evident.
• Obtain certain powers as the game progresses -- I didn't get any during the demo, but I am pokey, you might get further than I did.
• I played in Expert mode; my memory was tested a bit.
• Cleverly constructed tasks

Will I buy this at full price? IMHO, it is better than some other recent offerings, but then again, there will be another 1/2 price sale sometime…

I need 3 punches to fill a punch card, and I imagine there won't be another CE for Mac players tomorrow. But, with the special on this week end, I suppose I will pick up A of A Last Performance CE. Otherwise I may have hit the buy me button for Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty CE.

Edited on 09/29/2012 at 2:19:58 AM PST

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Nov 11, 12 2:56 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I really liked this game!

True - there were no voiceovers and there was a lot of moving through different scenes to find/use an item.

But....I didn't find the music annoying at all. In all of the games I've played, there was only one that had the most annoying creepy child-like voice.

The Hint button replenished quickly and the graphics were good.

The bonus chapter nicely tied up the whole ending. As much as I enjoy these CE endings, I do think it would be nice if the developers would give good endings to the SE versions as well.

Still have to say that I would definitely buy this game all over again!

Brilliant Game Marred by a Few Problems

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jan 26, 13 12:38 AM
Better late than never. This is a review of the full CE game. The bottom line is that this game was tons of fun to play, but there were a few problems and omissions in the game, but not enough to detract from the fabulous gameplay.

I'll start with the problems. As others have mentioned, there was no Journal, but that's fine with me. An interactive map would have been nice because there was a lot of going back and forth and that became annoying after awhile. I put up with it because the game was so much fun to play. You also couldn't lock the inventory tray in the up position and sometimes it was annoying to try to get the down navigation arrow to appear. For me the biggest surprise was that there were no voice-overs and this game was a prime candidate to have them. There was a lot of kibbitzing back and forth between your character and the witch and the text was very well done and it would have been better with voices. But not having voice-overs did not take away from the fun of the game. Having them would have added to the fun though.

The game itself was fabulous to play. I hate HOS and in this game they didn't bother me because they were quite easy, the Hint button recharged quickly, and there weren't that many of them. I could usually finish a HOS in 60-80 seconds. There were only 20 HOS in the main game and 8 in the Bonus chapter, for a total of 28 HOS in the CE.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT:

This isn't really a Spoiler because I'm just describing what the game is about. Throughout the game you have to find 12 Snake Keys, which are eventually needed to enter the final scene and have the showdown with the witch. But the fantastic thing about this game is that you are given 5 different powers throughout the game. You find old ladies and if you help them regain their youth, they give you a power. The powers are: Reveal, Stop Motion, Tame, Animate, and Turn Good. Very clever and very well implemented.

END OF POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT:

I though the music and sound effects were good and added ambience to the game and the graphics were well done. Also, the game was extremely long and so was the Bonus Chapter, which was a great logical extension to the main story. It took me about 8 hours to complete the main game (on Easy) and about 90 minutes to complete the Bonus.

Despite a few shortcomings, the game was still loads of fun to play and that's the bottom line for me. I give this game 2 thumbs up and rate it 9 out of 10.

Edited on 01/26/2013 at 12:54:09 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 14, 13 10:42 PM
MoreOver wrote:
BereniceP wrote:Well the graphics are lovely and the story line is OK too. My problem is that you have to travel 6 scenes to pick up and object to help you with the problem in the original scene. Over and over again. It is very tedious and what at first glance (playing the demo) appeared to be a really nice game, turned into a long hard tedious slog. Could not even be bothered to play the bonus chapter. There is no pleasure in travelling countless times from scene to scene and back again. Not enough mini games and.... I really think that the demo should have shown the game for what it really was. I enjoyed the demo but everything about the game is in the demo and the rest of it was rubbish.

Just saw this post after making mine. I completely agree with you. This game isn't the only one but it is the best example of scene padding to-date.

I agree with the above.

Go to: