tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Aug 27, 12 1:43 AM
The Third in the Series and I love them all. The Fantastic Graphics are what suck me in the the most. So crisp and beautiful. They make any frustrations I might have with the game secondary. Probably the most beautiful graphics of all games todate. Finished the game and loved every moment.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 27, 12 2:56 AM
Finished the game. Pros were the beautiful graphics and cute helpers and puppets. Also: I think no one can complanin about the length of the game and the Hints, Tips and SG were more than enough guidance. But...

...all those minigames. Dozens and dozens of them and most of them I skipped because they were just boring to me and/or time consuming. Really, in the long term I began to look forward to the end ot the game. Which, again, was disappointing. Not at all the Grand Finale I was expecting, since this game was announced as the concluding part of the series. Well, not so. Even stronger, It seems we're getting more. And that had to be found out playing the Epilogue, which IMO was the most tedious part of the game. I'll probably not be interested in the follow-up.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 27, 12 1:11 PM
At long last I have now finished the game: 6.45 hrs for the main game, and just under an hour for the bonus game (that includes lots and lots of puzzle skips).

I very much liked the game on the whole. What I didn't like so much was that:

a) there were not enough HOS (the ones in this game were really nicely done).

b) there were way too many puzzles.

c) I got fed up having to do puzzles with those rune signs over and over.

d) that was quite an unsatisfying ending to the bonus game.

Even though there will obviously be another "Awakening" out, I would have preferred it if the story in the bonus game had come to a more "final" ending that would finish the story so far, and not let us hang there with a cliff-hanger, as they used to do in cinemas:

"Join us next week, when we will find out what happens next. Will Batman's days be doomed or will he escape from the death trap! Join us and find out!"

This was that kind of ending. *sigh*

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 29, 12 6:30 AM
I agree with Casualgran and Valdy -- the mini-games, of which there seemed to be dozens, all mostly in one of maybe 3 or 4 categories, one after another, and which had virtually no explanation as to how to play, unless they were the obvious "make sure there are no repetitions of this shape and/or color in each row," or match pairs, etc. went on and on and on and I also ended up skipping more and more of them, until, by the epilogue, which, by the way, was extremely short, I skipped most of them, something I've never done before, even in the earlier Awakening series. I was actually interested in the story in this one and whoops yet another quilt to complete or another set of indecipherable rune-ish tokens to figure out, gah.

The graphics in these games are really lovely and this one was no different, I love the pocket dragon; however, I noticed they used only 4 actors for all the characters, forcing an adult woman to do 2 children and numerous other womens' voices and the voice of the owl was pretty bizarre; I did love the navigator even with the fairly imperfect English accent -- great voice and attitude, and the talking skull was well, pretty funny if seriously out of place. My biggest problems with this game were 1) the mini-games really drove me crazy -- far too many of them (and I'm not a big HOS fan, so I like mini-games generally), but they were soooo repetitive and interrupted gameplay and the story; and 2) there seemed to be a real dearth of explanations for all kinds of tasks and with the SG only available by calling up menu, it really slowed things down. 3) It was great to have a map to jump with, but the faked up rune language made it virtually impossible to tell where you were and where you were trying to get to, even with the pop-up description of locations. I think the developers fell so in love with the runes, they forgot someone else would be looking at them. So, ultimately while I most likely will buy the sequel, it will only be to find out what happens, because my patience was sorely tried with this one.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 29, 12 9:21 AM
I also completely agree with CasualGran & Valdy. BoomZap is one of my favorite game developers and they did a lot right with this game, but I got really, really tired of the repetitive mini-games. I've loved this series but this one fell short. However, I'm still a big fan and look forward to BoomZap's (normally) awesome games.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Aug 29, 12 7:26 PM
Truly, this game was not what I thought it should be. So many mini games with very vague directions. I love how beautiful it was, but I am royally sick of runes. This is not fun. Boom Zap this is not a conclusion to anything. The original game came to an unsatisfactory ending, abd the bonus play left everything more muddled.

florenceo
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by florenceo on Aug 30, 12 2:05 PM
This is one of the best games I have played. I really cannot add to the good reviews it has had.When a game has you smiling you know you are enjoying it.Hope another comes along soon.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Sep 3, 12 3:49 AM
[Removed by Moderator] These dev's are great. BF is great and now it is time to let this series rest...
Thanks for the amazing game to close out the series

Edited on 09/04/2012 at 2:03:32 AM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 3, 12 9:49 AM
I tried this game, only because of the special deal for the Holiday, and also, I have the other two. I should have known I wouldn't care for the game, as I never finished the second one. The first I did finish and thought it was lovely and different. But the second one, just wasn't my cup of tea, nor is this, the 3rd one. I just find them, I'm not sure of the word, abstract(?), vague (?) - I don't know, but I won't be buying this game even at the sale price. This review is based on the demo only.

feenix

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Sep 3, 12 2:29 PM

Edited on 09/04/2012 at 2:01:15 AM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Sep 3, 12 5:34 PM
I'm really disappointed in this game. I purchased others I of the same type but found it most boring - the owl was continually asleep as I used so many hints and don't feel as he led me in the correct path. Usually these CE's have bonus sections after you finish but was disappointed to see that the 4th chapter is considered the bonus section. I hated the stategy guide, you had to continually leave the game to check it out. I finally found another site that had a walkthrough that was easier to understand. I should have waited for the SE don't think it's worth CE money.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Sep 4, 12 5:29 AM
I was not as happy with this game as I was with the first three. The puzzles are not as clear in instruction and I had a lot of little glitches trying to "grab" things. The map is a lot more spread out, and lag time trying to "jump" is substantial for me, even though I have a gaming computer. I liked the first three much better.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Sep 4, 12 12:40 PM
Review based upon completion of the game plus epilogue with 36 achievements.

This is the supposed conclusion of Sophia's story. She went through three games to find her people, so it was time for the end. However...

The Good:

+ graphics much better than the third game
+ 43 achievements
+ 87 minigames that are mostly ridiculously easy
+ decent game length (main game: 5:56 hours and 3:06 for the second try)
+ well written strategy guide

The Neutral:

o some strange voices
o some minigames repetitive

The Bad:

- this is supposed to be a conclusion???
- one in a row and column minigames tedious

Bonus Game:

Is this some joke that I don't understand? In a game that is supposed to be, and I cannot stress this enough, a conclusion, the epilogue ends in a major cliffhanger!
The rest is 15 bonus nonograms - most of them can be solved in about 10 seconds, and about 5 wallpapers and concept art. I did not bother to listen to the soundtrack.

Bottom Line: The non-epilogue ending is the much more satisfying of the two - so avoid the CE!

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Sep 5, 12 4:21 AM
I usually love these games but this one was a disappointment for me. It just didn't seem as interesting, some of the minigames were easy some were just silly. The instructions were obtuse, the voice overs were a joke and the story didn't quite do it somehow. I haven't finished it yet and am not sure if I can be bothered.

Edited on 09/05/2012 at 4:22:36 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Sep 5, 12 9:03 AM
have not completed the game yet, but seems to be a good game for all.

[Post New]by pghzoolady on Sep 6, 12 10:24 AM
This is not a review but a question. I need HELP. I just stared the 3rd chapter. I was in the entry way and now I am in the room behind the 3 pillars. The paper I need to trace the markings on the pillars with the charcoal stick somehow is in the blue area at the bottom of the screen. I can't finish the sceen because I can't get the paper. The paper has a blue M with the x inside it. When I ask for the hint it tells me to take the paper to the very bottom of the center pillar and use the charcoal stick. I am stuck!!! Thanks if anyone can help me.

Kamille_59
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Kamille_59 on Sep 6, 12 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone for comprehensive reviews as they helped me greatly to take a final decision. To avoid repetition, I will just say I am enchanted by this game. Gorgeous music, stunning visual effects, the story that draws you in till the end. The game made my day! Very happy with the purchase!

[Post New]by gladysschmuck on Sep 6, 12 3:32 PM
I bought this game without even sampling it because I've played and enjoyed the other Awakening games.

Maybe everyone else loved this game but I found it the most illogical and irritating game I've ever played. Puzzles made no sense, goals were obscure, things were to be put together or used in ways that made absolutely no sense at all. This game is just plain stupid and frustrating.

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 3:32:50 PM PST

Daisy_48
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_48 on Sep 8, 12 10:26 AM
This is the last game I purchased, honestly because of lot of great reviews without playing the demo first. Now I know I won't do that again
Not that bad but I'm not thrilled, at least not as most of people whose posts I read

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Sep 8, 12 4:04 PM
NancySusan wrote:I did love the navigator even with the fairly imperfect English accent -- great voice and attitude

The navigator irritated the heck out of me, because he was a plagiarism. He was VERY clearly an imitation of Johnny Depp's "Captain Jack Sparrow" character from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies; the dead giveaway was the bad attempt at imitating Depp's slurred way of voicing the character. (Which, as a side note, was based on Keith Richards' speech patterns.)

Go to: