megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Reviews for Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Aug 30, 12 8:41 PM
First Id like to say I like how ERS finally began to release their games as dual releases aka on mac the same day as pc BUT this offering isnt up to a par of any game Id ever buy and not just because I am over ERS in general. The cursor in this game drives me crazy but turning it off makes no sense to me as it takes away knowing what to do and what to click on. Also, the beginning intro is soo cheesy. The voiceovers in this game are terrible. Live acting is good when you have good actors. The actors in this game are not good! Everyone sounds monotone and they are supposed to be scary and/or scared.

Also, I am sooo sick of the ghost theme. Evil ghosts, witches, spirits, the dead talking to you and having to do some ritual. When I first started hidden object games in 2007, there were lots of different themes. There were some games like this but there was a whole variety of other types of these games not the same plot written over and over til it has been killed. I don't buy any games anymore that have this plotline because if I want to play a game like this, all I have to do is re-download them from my purchase list. Id like to see something new, innovative, good quality voiceovers, a new setting, not some old falling down lighthouse, dirty school, car crash, ghosts, broken cars, houses with creaky gates or rain/snow! Give us something new developers!! Give us something worth buying the CE like really innovative where Im so wow'ed that I cannot wait for the SE instead of this overused junk. IM bored and I think a lot of other people are too. ERS always has great graphics but even their graphics aren't that up to par in their last few games. I don't know where this developer is going but Im done following. And if other developers keep this same ghost spirit monotone voiceover stories, Im going to pass on those too. I KNOW there are other worthy stories to be told via games and these are not it!!

Rant over. Happy gaming everyone

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Aug 30, 12 9:36 PM
This is a STEAL at the sale price!! I beta'd this game and have been waiting for it... was going to wait for a sale but I can't resist the $9.99 code to have it NOW!!!

Everyone else already listed the highlights but wanted to add my thumbs up... amazing game! 5 stars!

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Aug 30, 12 11:48 PM

If the puzzles had not been so easy, I would have bought instantly. But I have an empty punch card and this would have left me hunting for three more games to buy tomorrow. That stress I do not want to take on with the overly easy puzzles that actually constitute a flaw in a very interesting game. It is new in many of the ways the puzzles are presented and of course the graphics are great. Someone said the game was short and that too makes me feel like I'd like to wait for the SE and not jump on the sale price. But I can say I would prob have bought it if it were not the last day of the month with the caveat of a punch card to fill up as the chaser to my troubles.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 31, 12 9:42 AM
I have just finished the game, and what a really interesting, ambitious and fun game this was. I also loved the bonus game, and it was neither too long nor too short for me.

There is a lot of stuff in this game that some peeps will find disturbing. I am glad to say that these things don't bother me. I enjoy the game for the game's sake, no matter what the genre.

This was a really well done game. Lots of work was put into it. Just one thing: Reduce the time it takes for the hint and skip button to fill in easy mode !!!!!

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Aug 31, 12 10:03 AM
(based on trial only)

This is not the first time that I mention my disliking of ERS games. Maybe it will be my last rant because I certainly will ignore their games in the future.
I'm quite thankful if I stumble upon a game without any or with few HOScenes so I gave this one a try. But the typical ERS style is way too tiresome for me and I'm just fed up with it - more than I can express.
Tedious. Piddling. Emotive. Horrible faded graphics (as always - I really can't see why there are so many folks out there who keep on praising their artwork! Most of their games look washed out, slovenly sketched, grubby.)
The story - if you like the creepy stuff in general like I do - may not be innovative but at least quite interesting (or might have been if done by a creative developer).
I should have known better.
Of course they deliver their usual superficial rubbish, this time "enriched" with exceptionally ridiculous stuff like collecting magical esoteric nonsense.
Of course they do not care about the customers who'd like to have a little more variety in music/ gameplay mechanics/ settings.

The witch says: "You're boring me with your antics". You're so right, madam.
timbermoon and cbtx - for your reviews! ERS - improve or perish!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Aug 31, 12 12:04 PM
I finally played the demo, and I forgot how good this game was when I beta tested back on April, I noted a 5 on my journal, but (like I sayed in my comments) I was not in the mood to play a dark saga, but I changed my mind, recalling and playing again the demo! Excellent game, very good graphics, voiceover, powerful music in tune with the game, great puzzles and minigames, not too esoteric, but adventoures,
magic but for a just cause, anyhow, it gave me back the verve to to fight and save innocent souls, thanks ERS for this awsome game!!!!

Edited on 08/31/2012 at 12:06:12 PM PST

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Aug 31, 12 11:43 PM
Based on the demo only:
Very disappointing. I am a big ERS fan, but this one just isn't grabbing me. The graphics are pretty, but cartoonish which just doesn't go well with the live acting. And the witch just looks silly. I do like the voiceovers. Mini games really easy. Storyline ho-hum. Not sure I'd even get the SE of this one. Too bad.

Celticcoco

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Sep 1, 12 12:49 AM
I bought this game on sale and I'm still thinking it was a waste of money.

Lots of hand-holding (even on hard mode), super-simple mini-games, insane amounts of backtracking, way too short and it didn't offer anything new. I'm wondering if this was a rush job. There were several really interesting concepts that just didn't go anywhere. The animated paintings and mystic energy, for example. They seemed to have their own story to tell and I kept waiting for the big reveal that never happened.

This game just wasn't fun.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 1, 12 7:21 PM
(Based on part of the demo): WOW! I stopped playing just to buy. I love this type of game, eerie, creepy...just my cup o' tea (or probably hot chocolate with those little marshmallows). This game is not produced by my favorite devs but I seem to end up buying most of their games.

With the current sale I see no reason why I shouldn't buy the CE and so I will.

I love HOGS. From what I have read this isn't a HOG. Oh well, I'm willing to try something new. Who knows? I may learn that I like a different type of game. There is one thing I am sure of - I will not go wrong buying this game. All I need is a cold rainy day and in the Pacific Northwest that happens an awful lot.

I've read some of the reviews. I've read the complaint that this game is too easy. I have some serious brain damage and the main reason I started playing these games in the first place is to try to reverse that damage. I have seen reviews from other people with the same problem. I wish I could figure out the harder puzzles but at this point I have trouble figuring out the easy ones and I have a serious problem with memory, too. I didn't know, when I started playing these games, that I would enjoy them so much and I'm so happy that re-wiring my brain can actually be fun.

I hope everyone who has bought this game enjoys it. There are plenty of games to suit everyone. If everyone liked exactly the same kind of game, including genre, this would be a very boring forum and world.

Please - more scary games about haunted schools, witches, sanitariums with evil scientists - I love 'em!

Just waiting for that cold, rainy day...

Edited on 09/01/2012 at 7:31:42 PM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Sep 2, 12 1:37 AM
REVIEW OF COMPLETED GAME
I almost gave up on this game. The graphics are very good. The story is old. The game play is terrible. It is filled with a myriad of locations, only a handful of which are key ones, which means that you are constantly trudging back and forth through rooms, caves and passages where there is nothing to find or interact with. Just put there for show. The navigation arrows are not labelled so when the SG tells you to go to such and such a room/place, you don't know which direction it's in and inevitably you will pick the right one last. Blisters on feet. When you finally break into a new location you find you do not have the relevant items necessary to do anything in it. So, back you go again, all the way through those countless locations, to try and find where you are supposed to go next.

Just an exercise in futility and frustration, which made for a very tedious experience.

I do not bemoan the lack of HOS, that's fine. I just have the distinct impression that ERS have either had staff changes or are training new recruits and gave them this to cut their teeth on. Definitely not up to standard.

I do not know how long it took me, I shelved it so many times. Suffice it to say that it came out on Thursday and today is Sunday. The BC was better because it was shorter, but it felt sort of tacked on as an afterthought. You just rescued your daughter from the witch at the end of the main game and she is immediately snatched away again by some other monster and that's the basis for the BC. There are strangely, huge monster plants in this game that just had no place in it.

There is also the problem of the book pages, which are integral and must all be found or the main game cannot be finished. There are about 24 of them scattered throughout the game, but the SG does not list the locations at the end. So, if you are unlucky enough to miss some, or even one, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. You won't just get blisters, you will wear your feet to the bone.

If ever a game needed a jump map, this one heads the list.

There is no diary to record clues and codes, so have pen and paper handy.

I would not recommend this game to anyone, unless you are someone who buys games solely for the quality of their graphics. Apart from that, after the demo, it was downhill all the way.

I have played better SEs by first-timers.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 2, 12 3:00 AM

I've been sort of disappointed in the ERS games of late but this one was alot of fun - sort of a tongue-in-cheek Scooby-Doo adventure game.

I appreciate the more non-linear play, I don't mind having no traditionalist dedicated hidden-object scenes because I like to find inventory items as I go along and I also appreciate that the re-usable inventory items don't disappear only to have to be found again.

Very fun!

Edited on 09/03/2012 at 2:33:34 AM PST

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Sep 2, 12 10:37 AM
Normally I like ERs games, but I am just not into Gothic. It was long, challenging and a bit tough at times but it did give me something to do. I just finished the bonus game. I won't be buying another Gothic. If you are not into Gothic, then I don't recommend this game.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Sep 2, 12 12:49 PM
Sorry and ERS...I usually like this dev's games, but no HO's then no buy for me...

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 2, 12 2:00 PM
Just finished the main game - don't think I will play Bonus Game yet, if ever. If I thought the last game I played had a lot of running around (I don't even remember what game it was), that was nothing compared to this one. Totally aggravating to me and that's just the start! The game had the NERVE!! to freeze up on me at the very end after I placed the jar of mystic something on the slab, causing my whole computer to freeze. I restarted the computer, and luckily, my game was saved. I also spent alot of time trying to find the 25th (I know, there are only 24!!), page to the book, as I swear I read 25 pages somewhere! Therefore, dragging this very looooonnnnngggg game out longer than necessary. The one thing I was happy about, was no HOS. Hurray!! I can't imagine how long this game would have taken with HOS yet. I found some of the dialogue dumb and the actors horrible. Did I actually hear one of the actors say "Holy Shamoli"???? Eeewww! I enjoyed the puzzles, simple tho they may be, and the game itself had alot of interesting things going on, but I was frustrated so much of the time (had to refer to the SG quite a bit), due to feeling lost and really couldn't find any continuity from one scene to another. Well, I got it at a discount this weekend, so considering the length of the game, I got my monies' worth.

feenix

kanona29
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kanona29 on Sep 2, 12 9:34 PM

Loved this game! I thought it was a lot of fun and I was thankful for no HOG scenes. Some have complained about the back and forth, but that never bothers me as I have been playing pure adventure/large file games for many years now and that's normally a part of the experience. For me, it is always expected.

I'm not really into live-action scenes and this game didn't rely too heavily on them which was another plus.

The game was quite lengthy with many puzzles to complete. And despite what was mentioned earlier, a person does not need paper and pen handy to do any of the puzzles.

I think some people take these games way too seriously. I don't, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed playing this one. I have also noticed that I have grown a strong liking to this developer's games.

A great game to pass away the time!

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Sep 2, 12 10:25 PM
I tried to get through the demo but couldn't even do that. ERS really let me down big time with the last Adaza: In Libro release (the first 2 were some of my favorite games, ever, so I was hoping for more of the same) and now this one. I loathe live actors, and my first thought on seeing this "wtich" was "Is that a stripper?" I turned the music off after about 5 minutes because it was the same, repetitive sound every 1 second. The graphics were not overly terrific. One of my pet peeves is rampant in this game: time spent running ALL over and live actor cut scenes somehow translate to people as "game time". Second worst pet peeve in games: voice over actors who talk to us as if we are 3 years old, with over blown fake accents and bad inflections (really, call any 10 of us who are on BF and we will read a script over the phone to you, for free, and you can use this to the betterment of most games) As several have said on here, it was "cheesy". It was "plodding." I'm sick of the kidnapped kid/ghosts/Someone in peril/whining and crying game persons who have to state the obvious to you 30 times or yell "help! oh please oh help! Help, an e-vee-ell spirit has got me! Oh help!"

Well, if you're this dumb, let them have you, sez me.

No buy, noteven at the discount. This game sort of reminded me of early, slightly silly games that lack the polish of today, and those, I got plenty of already.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Sep 3, 12 7:25 AM
I just finished this game and it was THE most frustrating game I have ever played. This game desperately needed a jump map. The map that was included was totally useless to me. The strategy guide was not very useful because I found I was doing things way out of order sometimes. Will I play it again? Maybe. But I am thinking twice before buying another ERS game.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Sep 3, 12 10:58 AM
This game started well enough, and I was quite enjoying it, but - as with many of this genre of late - it started to become very tedious. Walking backwards and forwards, up and down, in and out to do illogical things I would never in a million years thought of doing had not a peep at the strategy guide told me to.

BUT .. I continued, determined to reach the much anticipated showdown with some wicked witch or other.

Then, I lost the 'uncorrupted spear head'. I'm sure I left it clamped above some green liquid in the lab while I went off to find the rest of the parts. But when I'd found the other bits of it, I went back and it wasn't there! So I couldn't proceed.

Was a time (perhaps during the Golden Gaming Age of Return to Ravenhurst or something equally excellent) I'd have taken a deep breath and started all over again (and been quite happy to!) .. but to be honest, I couldn't really be bothered and abandoned the game, unfinished. That's the third or fourth game I've failed to complete in the past few weeks. It's not that there's anything wrong with them, as such .. the graphics are always stunning, the puzzles are fine, the HOS are fun .. but it's all getting a wee bit stale.

So I'm replaying old classics .. .. the Jewel Quests, Clutter 2, the Ravenhurst series.. Madame Fate, Zenerchi .. until something really DIFFERENT comes along.

Come on Devs .. I'm sure you can do it!
Jo

[Post New]by riverrat939 on Sep 3, 12 12:51 PM
I've just finished this game with not one single HOG in sight. What a refreshing change to have just puzzles and adventure!

My only complaint about this game is that the map was not as much help as it could have been because it is incomplete and does not show all of the locations. There is a lot of running around back and forth; and a floor-plan type map would have been most helpful to me since I have trouble remembering so many locations.

Other than the map's not being very helpful, I would rate this game as one of the most enjoyable that I have played. I play mostly hidden object-puzzle-adventure games because good games of this type without HOG scenes are hard to come by. This was an excellent game in my opinion. Some puzzles were childishly simple, but others took me forever to figure out how to solve them. It's the hard puzzles that keep me happy.

noirangel
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by noirangel on Sep 4, 12 7:10 AM
Well I gotta say I am having a blast with this game. I'm getting near the end and hate to see it stop. THe story line is pretty good and the graphics as always are great! I'm actually enjoying the puzzles this time too.
Great job developers. This was a bargain at the price!! This gets five stars from me.

Go to: