Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Comments for Adelantado Trilogy: Book One

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 18, 12 11:18 PM
Thank you, Sparke, for both hints. I used to click on the picture of the workman when a warning came up, thinking that this would bring me to the caveman's hole, but it only got me to the workhouse. *sigh*

CallmeCoors
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,933 Posts

[Post New]by CallmeCoors on Sep 19, 12 2:37 AM
Played the trial and immediately bought it. I loved the freedom of being able to place buildings where you want. I did think it was strange that only the main character could pick up the food found inside the jars, but it was not really a big deal since he does spend some time just standing around. It would have been nice to be able to delete buildings, however I did not find this to be a major obstacle. If you make sure to upgrade your woodcutters, sawmills, gardens, fishermen, smokeries, farms and bakeries as soon as possible, it will be easier to complete the necessary tasks. Make sure you always have plenty of workers in order to speed up your efficiency. In order to be able to play the conclusion, you must get gold on all levels. Don't forget to upgrade buildings so you will have enough stone and silver. I found this game to be very fun and enjoyed searching for the hidden secrets. If you are a fan of builders and/or strategy games, or if you enjoyed playing All My Gods, I recommend you give this one a try. My biggest problem is that I have already finished it and want more!!!!

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Sep 19, 12 2:10 PM
How in the world do you finish on time. I am playing casual so getting gold either way but even I easy I would not make gold for finishing on time. You can tell on casual because it gets a little darker like the sun is going down. I guess if I didn't insist on finding all the secrets I might be able to make it. Just finished level 4 and was probably about 3-5 minutes too late for the time. That little guy walks too slow even with all the stones.

Loving the game though !!

CallmeCoors
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,933 Posts

[Post New]by CallmeCoors on Sep 19, 12 11:17 PM
Gov....Unless you happen to already know where all the secrets are, it is pretty much impossible to finish on time and still find the secrets. I played through each level, finding the secrets and then replayed the level to get gold. That way you don't have to waste time looking for the secrets, as you already know where they are!

ellietries
Minnow
Minnow
218 Posts

[Post New]by ellietries on Sep 20, 12 5:41 AM
I really wanted to like this game, ive always been a fan of the time strategy games, and so i thought i'd give it a go. I saw it as along the same lines of All My Gods, Island tribe but with bigger scope for the stroy to develop, multiples characters etc, i guess is was secretly hoping it would be a take on the original settlers too. And yet i am giving up on it- something i rarely ever do with games!

The reason- even on the hardest setting you are still handheld throughout the entire game. I appreciate that on the easy setting/relaxed settings that appeals to some people but i am no first time gamer and would love to just be given the goals for the chapter and thats it! I don't need to be told to repair damaged buildings or speak to 'x', build more houses etc, i can as can most others, work that out for themselves, it is after all a strategy game, would the developers of this game sit behind someone playing chess telling them every single move they are going to make? It really is infuriating as it is simply not a challenge. Even on the harder setting the timer isn't even an issue, well how could it be, do what they say when they say and bingo your in time. I had hoped the handholding would get less, but 7 chapters in and it's driven me to abandon all hope!

That aside the fact you can't save a level is incredibly annoying- and will cause many to lose patience with the game having to start over due to whatever disruption came up and having to go through all the instructions yet again.

It didn't bother me about not being able to demolish buildings in the scheme of the game but am just curious as to why it isn't an option? Being able to reharvest supplies and reuse land can't make the game any easier with all the prompts!

The screenplay is good, the graphics are nice, the music is as most music is on these games, best turned right down but it's within the theme of the game. It can't be faulted for that approach but as far as a challenging game, or even a game i think this leaves a lot to to be desired. Perhaps if they continue to make the others on the series they will allow for a function where you get the level goals and let you be on your merry way, if not then i shall have to say this will be my only attempt at it.

ricoblade
Catfish
Catfish
1,657 Posts

[Post New]by ricoblade on Sep 20, 12 9:58 AM
Sorry BlueStarFish but I completely disagree.

No way does the game "tell you what to do", apart from a couple opening gambits, you need to work out strategies by yourself and some levels take many goes to get right, which is *exactly* what I want from this type of game. Also, the levels get progressively harder indeed the last one makes you reassess all the strategies that you've developed.

nanekochan
Minnow
Minnow
261 Posts

[Post New]by nanekochan on Sep 20, 12 8:04 PM
pinkelastik wrote:
yve501 wrote:I am really enjoying this game but am I the only one to feel guilty about robbing all this gold. After all it's a fact of history the destruction caused by Spain in this region.

I played some of the demo and no, you're not the only one. I was uncomfortable with the whole premise of this game, making the Spanish conquistador the hero given the history behind it. I also found the portrayal of the native chief rather problematic. This one's definitely not for me.

Actually me, too, even though I played the game, I couldn't get away from the idea that someone might actually believe the version of history portrayed by this game, being so completely contrary to the way things were. OK, many games play fast and loose with reality, but this one managed to pick the wrong scenario to "re-imagine". Somehow it doesn't come off as alternate history.

And on a more practical note, I dislike not being able to save my levels (since it takes so long to play a level, the best time I had was 36 minutes on one, but first time through was anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour each.) Also I found it annoying that I couldn't destroy a building once construction had begun.

I agree somewhat that what you decide to build is partially directed by the game, for instance all of the watch towers and the initial set-up for each level. I can't put my finger on exactly what makes the game somewhat monotonous, compared to some others of its type.

NokomisVT
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Re:Comments for Adelantado Trilogy: Book One (possible spoilers)

[Post New]by NokomisVT on Sep 21, 12 11:12 AM
I spent a game credit on this and now I'm strongly regretting it. I find the gameplay on the slow side, and I agree with those who dislike the inability to save progress and demolish buildings, but what turned me off completely was the racism. Honestly, an indigenous people who can't figure out how to patch up a grass hut until the white folks show up, and then leave fawning little love-notes all over the place about how grateful they are, and the antagonist is a naked black man dragging a club. By the end I half expected one of the tasks to be replacing the cavemen totem poles with burning crosses.

A certain amount of stereotyping is probably unavoidable in a game setting just because of the format and the need to keep the background simple, and of course the game development community is no more immune to casual racism than any other group of people, but IMO this is so blatant and so crude I have a hard time believing it to be unintentional. While it's generally a good idea to "never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity", I hope Big Fish pulls this one before it wins Stormfront's 2012 Game of the Year award.

[Post New]by lgsrmt26 on Sep 21, 12 7:50 PM
As an American Indian I'd like to address the issue of "dumb Indian can't fix his own hut till white man shows up." I don't think the developers probably meant it that way, and certainly the history is just plain wrong, but it's a game, folks! I was more bothered by the fact that I couldn't save my progress during a level, nor could I move/destroy buildings I didn't need any more. Since there is limited space, that would be a good fix for the next game.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 22, 12 6:32 PM
ellietries wrote:Even on the harder setting the timer isn't even an issue, well how could it be, do what they say when they say and, bingo, you're in time.
Congratulations that it is so for you. However, doing the second scenario on Hard, I slopped over into the evening, and concluded there was very little chance of my doing better on a replay. But trying it on Easy, I finished right after being warned that the day was already half over.

And another poster above found Easy to be too hard. I do hope s/he has tried the Casual setting, which would make this game rather like the Westward series--goals you have to reach, cul-de-sac strategies you have to avoid, but no time pressure.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 23, 12 1:37 AM
Well, I finished the game now - sort of. I was on the very last chapter, when I clicked on a building that I just added and needed to be built, when the game just closed and some error message came up. Knowing that I would have to start again from the beginning of that chapter - and I have already been quite into it - I just deleted it without bothering to replay that last chapter.

Anyway... unlike some gamers, I had no problems at all with anything. I always found more than enough coins, and I didn't need a walkthrough to know how to advance in the game. It was a pretty much straight-forward Strategy game for me.

I never saw or heard any flying canonballs that were supposed to hit the cavemen or their holes, even though my watchtowers were all upgraded to number 3.

The one thing I really disliked in this game were those cavemen, who kept interrupting what I was doing at that moment they showed up.
If they had been stationary, and not gone anywhere but just presented a menace, as the creatures do in "Roads of Rome", then I wouldn't have minded so much. But having to track them down, and then hitting them before they do any damage, was a pain in the neck, and got more and more annoying.

The other thing I intensely disliked was the fact that throughout the game, and not just at the beginning, I was frequently reminded of my main goal, that I was able to upgrade buildings, that I should add more of this or that, and so on.

As I said before in another post, I am not a goldfish with an average memory of 3 seconds and only need to be told once or twice what I have to do, and then I would like to get on with the game - by myself.
The very least the developers could have done is add an option as to whether we want hints throughout the game or not.

And lastly, I really didn't appreciate that every chapter started out with me being told what to add, and other buildings I rather would have added or restored were always "not available at this time".

There was far too much hand-holding with this game, and it took a lot of fun out of it - speaking only for myself, of course.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 25, 12 2:04 PM
In the Reviews thread,
VTCT wrote: Instead of having the buildings such as woodcutter close why doesn't the game people have the forest regrow?
Since answers to questions, no matter how sincere--and of course that one might well be rhetorical anyway!--aren't permitted in that thread, I'm posting my response to that, and to other comments there, here.

Because this game tries to be slightly more realistic than the Westward series, that's why.

Of course, only as to resources. The storyline, w/ its Spanish conquistador types cooperating w/ the locals, is as has been remarked, another matter entirely.

In fact it, reminds me of one unofficial motto of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism, not any of the others w/ the same acronym): "History as it should have been!" (As when I, who am in the Society a medieval Catholic, and Mahmud Hajji ib'n Rashid, a medieval Muslim, used to solemnly greet each other as "M'lord infidel.")

[Post New]by cm6780 on Dec 15, 12 9:37 AM
Just a couple things...

Most games use the first level or two to teach you how to play the game, so if you are being told what to do, that is why...

I actually enjoy not being able to save or erase buildings. Often these types of games are to easy. I like putting it on the hardest difficulty and then trying to plan things out right. I don't mind restarting, although I'll admit I get as frustrated as anyone else. Just makes me try harder though.

As far as historical references go, I can't really get into a storyline to that degree, that I actually start feeling emotional about it...I mean, maybe with a larger and deeper game, but these games aren't exactly epic. They are just there for challenge and fun, in my opinion. I have played some dark games, and some light games, and neither tie to my real life. If I'm not going to feel all moral about killing someone in a game, I'm sure not going to feel it about some historical event. haha

[Post New]by cuddlz24 on Dec 27, 12 8:06 PM
Hi!

Anyone know how yo upgrade buildings? Did I miss something or is this a game glitch?

Thanks!

ricoblade
Catfish
Catfish
1,657 Posts

[Post New]by ricoblade on Dec 28, 12 3:20 AM
cuddlz24 wrote:Hi!

Anyone know how yo upgrade buildings? Did I miss something or is this a game glitch?

Thanks!

Hi - you can only upgrade them when you get to a certain level, the game will prompt you when you can.

[Post New]by pammie1 on Aug 18, 14 5:51 AM
What I want to know is when are books 2 & 3 for the Mac going to be released?

Go to: