Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: The Red Riding Hood Sisters Collector's Edition

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Sep 21, 12 12:25 PM
What a beautiful game! I played it and finished all but the bonus chapter last night. Absolutely gorgeous scenery, no lagging graphics, mouse or black screens when moving from one scene to another.
HOS are clean and just fabulously rendered. I took my time with this game because I enjoyed the scenery so much!
The map, although it can't be used to jump, is very useful and you can get from here to there quite easily. I had purchased Briar Rose and went back and bought all other Dark Parable Games based on that experience, so the sale didn't work for me. But I hope new fishies will give it a try.
I only found about 8 or 9 morphing objects (of 20). This will entice me to play it again as I love the challenge, but they were difficult to find! (which is a good thing!)
I really love that developers include the puzzles (though not all) in the bonus section. I buy these games for the puzzles and sometimes love to replay them. (Just like the first Azada.)
I've played hundreds of these games in the last few years and this is definitely one of the best! Try it, you'll like it! WTG Blue Tea, thanks for a great game!

Edited on 09/21/2012 at 12:26:51 PM PST

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Sep 21, 12 6:43 PM
Just for pure expenditure reasons I have to wait to purchase the SE From what I can see (and I do own ALL the Dark Parables games so far) I just have to wait patiently but gee I CANT WAIT for the full game. The Demo was just awsome and as I love theses games can't say anything that everyone else hasn't said before me - Great Game thanks BFG AND DEV's you have gone above and beyond - KEEP IT UP!! THANKS!

LEAN

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Sep 21, 12 9:26 PM
Just demo'd it. Sigh. It's definitely a beautiful-looking game, albeit strange to see these nubile and sexily-clad "sisters". (You'd think they'd want practical attire for rugged forest living instead of exposing those tender bare thighs, right? Ah well. )

As always, I find these Parables frogs relaxing to play, and I'm sure I'll pick this up at some point. But it lacks any attempt at challenge whatsoever. The Exiled Prince was definitely more of a game, whereas this one is all about 'pick this item up, place it here, you need a key, here's a key..." It's very charming to look at but you are pretty much literally led around without having to think much if at all.

If for instance you consider the MCF games and the strategy involved in solving them (those door puzzles!!), and then games like this, well so much dumbing down has taken place. I know we all like a pleasant relaxing game now and then, but it seems like it's been a long steady diet of handholding and simplified pseudo problem-solving. The candy's been dandy, but I miss the real nutrition.

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 6:22:26 AM PST

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 22, 12 12:28 AM
RenaissanceMom wrote:Just demo'd it. Sigh. It's definitely a beautiful-looking game, albeit strange to see these nubile and sexily-clad "sisters". (You'd think they'd want practical attire for rugged forest living instead of exposing those tender bare thighs, right? Ah well. )

As always, I find these Parables frogs relaxing to play, and I'm sure I'll pick this up at some point. But it lacks any attempt at challenge whatsoever. The Frog Prince was definitely more of a game, whereas this one is all about 'pick this item up, place it here, you need a key, here's a key..." It's very charming to look at but you are pretty much literally led around without having to think much if at all.

If for instance you consider the MCF games and the strategy involved in solving them (those door puzzles!!), and then games like this, well so much dumbing down has taken place. I know we all like a pleasant relaxing game now and then, but it seems like it's been a long steady diet of handholding and simplified pseudo problem-solving. The candy's been dandy, but I miss the real nutrition.

At the risk of being off topic, have you tried Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show? That one had some challenging minigames in it...and the extra chapter of the CE was also very good.

I agree, this game was definitely on the easy side. But, sometimes I want an easy game... the focus was on just the adventure and the minigames did a good job of letting me feel like I was part of the story without stumping me so much I was pulled out of the story.

Where The Red Riding Hood Sisters is weakest is in the morphing objects... they were too random. I think they should just either be in a scene or not be in a scene. I gave up on looking for them.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Sep 22, 12 5:58 AM
Hi sfcali - thanks, yes I did enjoy Rite of Passage and found it more of a challenge! I also loved Raincliff, Theatre of Shadows, Shiver, Ghost Ship... oh so many. Like many fishies I've purchased tons and believe me I sure appreciate time off from thinking as well. And of course some games mistake endless steps for strategy which isn't the same thing at all.

But this game is SO gorgeous that missing the 'gaming' element (aka the fun factor) just makes it a real disappointment. It could've been amazing; the potential is there. (And I agree, the apparently random morphs make them look like a hasty throw-in.) As an example, my husband's not a big casual games player but he'll play the 'oldies' and some LFAs with me (we're playing the first Broken Sword on the Wii this weekend. ) His take on Red Riding Hood Sisters would be that it's just coloring in the numbers, aka "boring". Now, the first Dream Chronicles series (esp 2 and 3) were lovely to look at too but their strategy was what made them fun for me. Oh well, different strokes.

ETA - And sadly, I just realized Big Fish no longer carries Broken Sword. Another wonderful classic LFA dropped. There are so few now.

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 6:42:14 AM PST

[Post New]by wyldedragonfly on Sep 22, 12 6:07 AM
To start with: beautiful game! Visually, it can't be beat - but (and I have the other DP games) it felt like something was missing with this one. It seemed shorter to me and not as "adventurous". I enjoyed it and will play it again and again, but to me it was just "off".

The Exiled Prince is still my favorite - for some reason, that game was the most beautiful and the most interesting of all of them.

Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by mterry on Sep 22, 12 9:41 AM

Edited on 09/23/2012 at 1:06:43 PM PST

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Sep 22, 12 11:02 AM

Edited on 09/23/2012 at 1:07:09 PM PST

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Sep 22, 12 12:30 PM
Well, a long game, for a change. I played it on the easy level, and yet it took me a bit to finish it.

I do have to agree with others regarding the puzzles. They're a bit..um..elementary. But at least it's not as bad as it was with Snow Queen, where practically every puzzle was done in the same design. Those did make you go WTH?

That said, the graphics are wonderful, as always. I did like the retelling they did, it strayed off a bit from the usual version, but it added a bit to the plot. However (and perhaps someone knows this) I would like to know when the heck did Briar Rose became a warrior princess? Last we heard she stayed in her kingdom (Scotland, if I remember correctly), and was presumably adjusting to the time she woke up in. So how did she end up in countryside France, and a warrior to boot? Unless something was mentioned in DP: The Exiled Prince (which I didn't play due to the fact that it was standard screen resolution, not widescreen), there's not really any reason why she would show up out of nowhere like that.

Music was good, although the medieval music sounded more British than French to me, but whatever. The bonus game did illustrate the origin of the Mist Kingdom (sort of the prequel to DP: Red Riding Hood). Although the story itself had very little to do with the Aesop fable (i.e. the wolf chasing the boy, and villagers ignoring him). But I have yet to see what The little mermaid (which is presumably what the mini-parable Mermaid's tears is based upon) has to do with the boy that cried wolf.

And we have the notebook with the mini-parables after the game. Finally. This was a criticism that they have listened to, and it's now available in the bonus content.

The wallpapers were good. But again, there were many other areas in the game that could have been included in the concept art (since Snow Queen, they have put the concept art of the characters, not the backgrounds). I do miss those drawings, and the very first DP they did (Curse of the Briar Rose) they did put in the drawings, and the finished product in the concept art. And yes, you could save it, and put it as wallpaper if you want. But no screensavers. I don't know if The Exiled Prince had screensavers, but Briar Rose did, and it seems that afterwards they have eliminated them.

Overall, a really good game. Given how scarce they are these days, I say that it's a relief when we finally get something good.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Sep 22, 12 1:11 PM
I thought it was too short! Good, though.

booksmart
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by booksmart on Sep 22, 12 7:00 PM
I really like this game and agree that the graphics are beautiful. It's quite an original take on RRH but I have to say it - why are the female characters in most of the games (and I mean all developers' games) portrayed as sex objects? Over the top cleavage and skimpy clothing seem to be accepted by everyone as "fantasy". Is it the artists' fantasy that women look like they're working the street or strippers? Can't some characters look normal or at least be fully dressed and a 36C? It's just a small beef of mine. I don't think that women's bodies should be objectified so blatantly. But I did enjoy the game and thought that the puzzles and FROGs were lots of fun. Just having a bit of a rant.

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Sep 23, 12 6:11 AM
bel gioco,ma non bello come gli altri della serie,mi sono divertita,ma ho notato che il numero degli hos è molto alto ed anche se la grafica è sempre splendida,è risultata un po noiosa la ricerca così frequente.la storia è ok e anche il bonus di gioco è breve,ma carino....aspetto il prossimo e vedremo cosa succede....consigliato comunque l'acquisto...

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Sep 23, 12 7:57 AM
I can't add much more to what has been already said. The graphics are stunning and the voice overs are well done..not fake or cheesy as in some games. I love the games from this developer and am never disappointed in the quality. A MUST HAVE for me!!

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Sep 23, 12 9:53 AM
OK OK, I read the reviews. The most important thing for me is that Dark Parables is still creating games that use 512mb so I can still enjoy them on my old computer until I am able to buy a new one.

I love all the Dark Parables games, but Red riding Hood Sisters is driving me nuts. The map is helpful, but like the task to complete bar, it is not necessarily correct, which confused me initially. The strategy guide has not been very helpful either. Maybe it's just me. I stropped playing the game and cannot determine whether it was frustration or boredom with trying to accomplish tasks that even with the strategy guide, I am stuck on, and I am playing on the normal mode.

For some reason this game is just not holding my interest. I love the FROGS, and HOS parts, and note that some of the puzzles are nonsensical. I solved them while trying to solve them. The scenery is beautiful and I am playing with no sound (old computer). I like the storyline and have not given up on the game because Dark Parables is usually a good buy, and I always look forward to Blue Tea games and will continue to buy them.

Coronanana
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Coronanana on Sep 23, 12 2:57 PM
I love, love, love this game. I'm not apt to plunk down the money for Collector's editions unless there is a sale or it grabs me quickly. This one did. Loved the other games in this series as well . Hope there is more to come soon. I hated to see it end.
I'm in the process of playing the bonus game. Can't say enough good stuff about this game.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Sep 23, 12 3:39 PM
Played all the Dark Parable games and they were all great. Finished this one and it was great too. My only advice to developers is add in some traditional hidden object scences along with the FROG scences, just to mix it up.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Sep 23, 12 5:16 PM
Excellent game. Looking forward to the next one.

avueik
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by avueik on Sep 23, 12 5:44 PM
I'm so excited about this game! Love all the Dark Parables!!! Will buy when it comes out in SE.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 24, 12 4:32 PM
I have always enjoyed the Dark Parables series so I didn't even play the demo on this one before buying. NOT that I regret buying it so much it is just that there were WAY too many HOS even for me. I got to where I wanted to run screeming from the room when one popped up. Good grief! Also, they started out easy and went quickly but got more difficult and took more time which didn't help with the frustration.

Mini games didn't make a lot of sense and I skipped most of them. HINT and SKIP buttons rechard quickly, which is good. There was a map but it basically only would show you where you were although sometimes it indicated an area to go to but not always...and it wasn't a jump map which may have helped. You needed the hint button to move around and there was a lot of moving around to do...somethings just weren't always real clear.

No doubt this was designed by men....the poor warrior girls all looked like they should be sitting in a leather bar....get real guys, don't make the gals always look and stand like little tarts...good grief.

Graphics as usual were impecable. Clear and crisp and amazing. Will have to go back and play all the bonus parables..but I've had enough for now...looks like a Cinderela one is up next in the series. I give this one a 3+ mostly because of the lousy map, wierd games and way too many HOS.

Edited on 09/24/2012 at 4:33:29 PM PST

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Sep 24, 12 6:56 PM
Well, I have worked my little wiles and am now the happy little owner of the CE version!

I was a little surprised at the Victoria Secrets models, aka RRH sisters, but the more I think about it, most of these games tend to play to women (I imagine we are in the majority of those who buy this type), so I can't really complain if they sought to put in some eye candy for the gents (or anyone so inclined ) - let the devs have their fun, I wasn't offended ( a bit jealous, maybe). I tend to think that BFG spoils me as it is - there are way more HO games than Match 3s and TMs offered as the Game of the Day, so go ahead and appeal to other tastes while you provide me with such abundance.

I've asked this question before, but it wasn't answered, so perhaps someone thought I was just kidding around. But I really don't have a clue what 'wallpapers' are or why I'd care enough to pay extra to get them. Seem like screensavers to me - what's the difference? How would I use them? It's nice to have artwork, music and stuff added, but the only factor for me in buying a CE is numerous rave reviews about the bonus chapter - OR it's a DP game from Blue Tea, which has proven I will never be dissatisfied with paying the extra for the extra content. Still, if anyone would please fill me in on the purpose of wallpapers, I'd really appreciate it! Maybe I've been missing something all along...

I am off to play, but I'll come back if I have anything to add to the already stellar reviews. I am expecting a wonderful evening!

ETA: thank you, Chiari Survivor for PMing me with all I ever wanted to know about wallpapers! Might even use them, now...

Just finished the second round of play - had to get all the morphing objects, after all! I had ONE and ONLY ONE complaint about this game: I think it's going to be very hard to wait for the next installment!!!! Hurry up, Blue Tea!!!!!

Edited on 09/25/2012 at 1:02:59 PM PST

Go to: