jill165x
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by jill165x on Sep 29, 12 7:01 PM
I just finished the game and bonus. It was fun and a little wacky. I liked the animals. Boyfriend Tim was as useless as usual. I get the feeling that he would leave me behind if he got the opportunity. No regrets about buying it.

The one disappointment I had was in regards to the HOGs. The very first HOG encountered was a puzzle-in-a-puzzle which I find delightful. Another one was a silhouette FROG scene. I assumed they would mix it up and keep it interesting for the rest of the game, but they were just teasing. After the demo section, it was all straight list junkpile HOG for the rest of the game.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Oct 6, 12 4:55 AM
we really enjoyed the game, it is highly recommended.-------doug & lisa

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Oct 6, 12 8:42 PM
Yep. Love it - try not to die of shock Because I'm a sucker for anything ERS I could just stop there - but honestly if ERS makes a game I don't like...I will review that too...just hasn't happened yet.

Graphically this isn't their most stunning - but as with all their games - even their "not the best" graphics are amazing - their best - jaw dropping. As with the previous Haunted Halls I found myself drawn in and creeped out immediately - this series just makes me jumpy; in a fun way!

Don't know why the critters are there; don't care; they are adorable (probably why they are there).

For tech...we have gone back in time a bit to slooow scene transitions - but no hinky cursor, so I'll be patient getting from room to room Difficulty seems on par with all ERS games...I'll motor along then get stuck for a bit...then figure myself out of it. So not ridiculously easy - but not "bang head into keyboard" difficult.

IMO it seems the Devs do read these reviews and are trying to give folks what they want! Even if (and it is if - I'm only on the 2nd chapter) H0 scenes tend back to lists as the game goes on - they have given us three distinct varieties! That's awesome! Few other games have any H0 variety - even if it's just a change up here and there. Games are enjoyable too & overall a good mix of H0, game & adventure.

Voice acting is great (even ERS has a really bad VO now and again...) and I love the bizarre things these Devs come up with...unique "tools" and fabulously illogical item combinations.

And let's not forget the portable lab!

Again - props to ERS - they DO listen - they stick with what people love about their games & add in new stuff too in measured doses...let's all recall the last Ravenhearst (sorry BFG - but it's a good example ) - going from some morph to ALL morph didn't quite work out for a lot of folks. It's good to change slooowly when you have a dedicated & rabid fan base who loves things just as they are; and it seems this is the path ERS is travelling!

Ok, I'll admit Tim is a bit of a dimwit - but I'll chalk that up to PTSD - he surely should be a little off by now

Happy gaming!

Edited on 10/06/2012 at 8:43:52 PM PST

Interactive help in HARD MODE!!??

[Post New]by LaVonNadine on Oct 6, 12 11:00 PM
govols2 wrote:...Even in advanced there is an annoying tutorial that can not be skipped that shows up now and then...

Come on EARS, you're driving me crazy - I looked forward to continuing this story. Any player who chooses hard or advanced mode in an HO games knows exactly what to do with the sparkles.

Stop that!

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Oct 8, 12 8:04 AM
I was a bit disappointed with this game, even though I bought the CE. I own the others, and have really like the concept as well as the graphics which are terrific. This time the game seems "dis-jointed"? I was having a tough time trying to follow the logic. Some of the items were very hard to find or just didn't make sense to me. Overall, I still like the game, but I'd be hesitant to buy one in another CE at this point.

avueik
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by avueik on Oct 15, 12 5:16 PM
I love the Haunted Halls series, but I won't buy. I'm not into the silouette HOGs. Was a fun game too.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 18, 12 1:11 PM
Well, its finally over. This was a long one. I actually broke down and paid for a CE which is good because the bonus game which takes about an hour did conclude the story. I don't know how they will handle this in the SE when it comes out.

One part I really did enjoy was the lab set where you had to mix ingredients to come up with items to eliminate the bad guys, but I really did get tired of the mini games. Some were easy others didn't make sense at all because the instructions were either not clear or incomplete. I'm not a mini game lover at all, so these kind of gliches drive me crazy especially with a slow skip button.

HOS were easy and only a few were interactive. The HINT button was slow so that made the game slow down which is always frustrating. There is no map, so you needed to either have a great memory or the hint button needed to be more interactive to the game besides telling you there nothing else to do or you needed to go "somewhere else". I guess there may have been a journal of sorts, but it was apparently worthless because I never used it. Had to use the strategy guide once (which I try not to do) as I just couldn't figure out what to do next in one of the scenes.

For the most part I give this a 3.5+ mostly because of the above mentioned, but also I should enjoy a game enough not to feel glad when I finally complete it! Besides that "Tom" was a real weenie....I would drop kid that dude as soon as I hit the beach!

[Post New]by onesweettart on Nov 3, 12 7:51 PM
I continue to demo new ERS games to find out what type of Hidden Object Scenes they have, but won't buy another one (or use a credit on them) until the Devs transition back out of their current style of Hidden Object Scenes. I hate both the silhouette and progressive styles that ERS is doing now. Not long ago, if someone mentioned in a review that a game was full of silhouette scenes, dozens of people would reply to the thread saying "thanks for the warning, I'll pass on the game" because silhouette style was overdone and boring years ago. Why ERS decided to bring it back I don't know. And these progressive scenes, where I have to sharpen a knife to slice fruit to squeeze into a bottle to make acid to melt a lock to get a can opener, all of which are hinted at via, yep, more silhouettes? It's like the game grinds to a halt every time a Hidden Object Scene comes along and suddenly I'm doing a series of chores. I've bought the other Haunted Halls games, I appreciate the humor, and ERS used to be a must-buy for me, practically sight unseen. It's been awhile, though, since they've sold me anything, and this game doesn't change that.

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Dec 1, 12 5:31 AM
Great game love this series. Which is saying a lot for me since I am a man and as such I often find it hard to get into games where the main character is a woman. Maybe for the next part of the series the doc could trap Tim's girlfriend and we could take on the character of Tim and free her. The old damsel in distress story.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Dec 13, 12 7:24 PM
I Love this game. I finished this game the other day and I must say this whole series is quite amazing. The story is unexpected and very original. I find the story is much as important than the game play and graphics. This game is dark, eerie and held my interest, just as much as the first two games.The game was long and had a lot to do and see. Behind each door was something unexpected and it started right from where the second game left off. I enjoyed this entire game, and it will be worth replaying. Cannot wait to see if there is another coming!

Go to: