Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

Re:Reviews for Where Angels Cry

[Post New]by Sprattie on Oct 26, 12 7:11 PM
I just completed the game (in about 4 hours) and never ran into any objectionable content. I mean, I've played games about kidnapped children, dead children, severed talking heads, games where I've died, games with dead bodies all over the place... I honestly can't see where this game would be offensive. I'm guessing that the ending has been left open for a sequel and we'll hear more about what we've "done" as it becomes part of a larger picture.

The puzzles were pretty simple and I only skipped one. Only found 16 of those nasty little stone angels though - wonder what extras they would have unlocked? Unfortunately as the game progressed it became impossible to go back to most of the scenes to check again.

I'm not sorry I purchased this game and can recommend it to other teen/adult age players.

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Oct 30, 12 5:55 PM
Just finished, and on the whole, not bad at all! Challenging puzzles (some I simply could NOT reason out), decent storyline, and the achievements are a nice incentive to go back and play again sometime. The ending's very anti-climactic but that's my only real complaint. On the whole, good job.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 31, 12 6:57 AM
Review based upon completion of the game.

I did the Beta and was looking forward to the release of another True Adventure. They did change a bit around - if I remember correctly the third chapter used to be the second one. The 20 tomatoes had to be collected individually. The tone of the game remained unchained though.

The Good:

+ HD graphics
+ helpful hints in stages (did not use, can be turned off)
+ difficulty adjustable individually
+ lots to do

The Neutral:

o walkthrough provided by the developer on the page and as a separate download crap
o game length a bit short for a true adventure

The Bad:

- some achievements not really explained
- no clear story advancement
- you see the culprit for the first time during the showdown and do not interact with him

Bottom Line: The game is passable, but not much more.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 2, 12 10:29 PM
Cateia games (hotel, crystal valley) are clever as they realise there are people who want to try pure adventure games but find LF daunting so they do easier games and here is obviously trying to appeal to the HOPA player who is looking for something different but familiar enough not to feel lost. This is a bridge game (bridges the gap.)

This does not mean that more seasoned adventure players don’t enjoy their games it’s just a different type of game and change of pace.

The one major thing I have to point is the ending. If you are expecting a ‘nice’ family friendly plot with no darkness in it then the ending will disappoint. I thought it was daft to do an ending like that as they are reducing the amount of players for this game and there was no indication in the short demo that it would be like that and even if you didn’t have a problem with it, I thought the plot ending was bad as you’d never guess it or see it coming and thought it would be more reasonable or tie in with the main story better.

I bought this with a coupon as I knew it would be short, as I did the demo in about 35 mins and I felt it was pretty far through the game but I did get nearly 3 hrs out of it, playing for all the achievements. I don’t recommend any games under 3hrs and very rarely around that mark, but because this game had 21 collectables (angels) and 20 achievements (one of which is finish the game in under 3 hrs) I do recommend it if you are that type of gamer or don’t mind re the time so much but if you liable to skip a lot of puzzles or dialogue etc then I don’t recommend it for you.

There is a journal, with to do tasks, as well as general information of how long you’ve been playing how many achievements you have etc.

There is quite a few of find ‘x’ items in the game but it’s never a separate scene it’s in the game.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 2, 12 10:30 PM
continued

There are 20 puzzles ranging from easy old school, which most are in the beginning; move stack of boxes from one pile to another, rotating circles to make a picture, 2 easier nonograms, they repeat the ‘get every light to the same colour a few times by pressing on them’ to a couple of hard ones and I must have spent at least 15 mins on one!

The quite rare thing about this adventure game is you can skip the puzzles and also you don’t need to manually save the game it auto does it for you. . You have three choice of gameplay or a fourth – custom where you can choose to have or not – sparkles, fast hint/skip charge, extended tutorial. Another thing to make it easier for you is that a character has a large “I” above his head if you speak with him.

Some CONS –

-You have to collect the same bucket 3 times in the game, why you don’t keep I don’t know.

-Some very well blended objects

-Slow load times between chapters

-Would love the option of manual save, as I messed up a puzzle for an achievement and had to replay the whole game again

-Short especially if you are a fast player

-A few items were hard to find as were very well blended in and I don’t even have problems with my eyesight

-achievements I don’t like replaying a game to get them all and prefer it on once screen so it’s easier to see than scrolling

PROS

-Collectables
-Achievements
-Fully customisable gameplay as well as audio and video
-Crisp graphics
-Very enjoyable gameplay

If only they made it about an hour longer it would have made all the difference and more people would have bought it but thanks for a good adventure.

BHQld
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by BHQld on Nov 28, 12 12:05 AM
A disappointing game.

Downloaded the demo and was intrigued, it held so much promise to be great... so I purchased the full game. Then found out that the demo got me almost halfway through a very short game that built up to.... well, nothing.

Games like Awakening give a gamer an award for being able to finish in under 4hrs, (even on a re-run of the game it will take this long). Where Angels Cry would probably take me about an hour max to re-run. There is no challenge, no twist, no lure to replay.

sackese
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by sackese on Dec 12, 12 7:53 AM
The review grade can only be a 0 out of 10 because of the issue that doesn't let us play the game, as quite a lot of us have been encountering.

It's a pity that developers can't take this more seriously.

Edited on 12/12/2012 at 7:53:49 AM PST

dogfish73
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish73 on Dec 25, 12 10:41 AM
WAY too short!!! Under 3 hours and thats an acheivement?

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 8, 13 7:45 AM
This is another game I downloaded after playing the demo and never returned for sometime. Enjoyable game but the mini games were awful. I really don't understand why games include repetative mini games, especially those awful "make everything one color" or "close all boxes" or turn off all the lights"....I find those a tedious time waster and this game was full of them. One can only thank a skip that refilled quite quickly, hence I skipped almost all the games. Different kind of story. The characters were definatley cartoon like, but the voice overs were good except for that boy. I found the music very relaxing.

Inventory items were picked up around the scenes....but you had to be sure to watch your cuser closely and to be very sure you covered every part of the scene completely because they were easy to miss. I used the HINT a lot to get around and the journal is necessary at times. All in all, until the end I enjoyed this game although it didn't always make a lot of sense and the ending is abrupt and not very satisfying. I would give this a 3 out of 5.

[Post New]by smilingsun72 on Feb 20, 13 4:03 PM
I really liked Where Angels Cry. It had a captivating story and was not like other Big Fish hidden object puzzle games I've played. The graphics where awesome. I found up completion of the story I wanted more. I hope the makers of this game make a sequel.

GreenMyEyes
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by GreenMyEyes on Mar 8, 13 4:23 PM
I thought this was a pitiful little game. It felt like it had been written about 10 years ago, before people knew how to do great graphics. And it looks like it had been written by a beginner who had just learned to model and was trying it out for the first time.

The navigation is ok, and the story is ok, but the HOGs are filled with little things like finding a dark nail against a dark wall, or some necessary tool hidden on a desk in a dark corner behind other objects. The hint system will allow you to find wee things in the HOGs, but it is useless otherwise.

I'm an intermediate level player, and I think maybe a beginner might find it interesting. But, again, those tiny little things hidden in dark corners might turn the beginner off HOG games forever.

I would regret spending my money on this, but I used a game credit to get it. Now I just regret spending my game credit.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Mar 22, 13 1:51 PM
I really liked this game. It's what I classify as Adventure light. No HOs and lots of medium difficulty minigames. It's hard to collect all the angels, I missed one right away! This game made sense to me and I didn't have any problem with the ending. It wasn't real long, but I have lots of games so I don't mind a short one. It's nice to be able to customize the hints, sparkles, skips, etc. and be able to change mid-game. I loved the first guys Italian-accented English, the rest of the voices were just OK.

lookywho
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by lookywho on Apr 6, 13 10:33 AM
just finished the game got all the angels it was a very fun game to play

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jul 4, 13 4:50 AM
I like the title of this game, it's very beautiful. Also, beautiful music and locations. It was refreshing to not see any Hidden Object Scenes, just fun puzzles and minigames, and occasional combining of objects in inventory. Fun to find all the 21 angels, plus it has achievements, which is pretty cool for a standard game (no CE). Nice voice-acting and story.

I enjoyed it

Tassieo
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Tassieo on Jan 15, 14 5:30 AM
Have just finished the game. Thought it was interesting, nothing to rave about. Far too short for the money paid. As for the ending, yes it was abrupt, could not see how some people got offended. There are much worse games than this one. Well that is my opinion.

Reviews for Where Angels Cry

[Post New]by Bedder on Feb 2, 14 5:26 PM
bfgBaikal wrote:Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Where Angels Cry? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Where Angels Cry page <a href="http://bigfi.sh/QFMluk">here</a>.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article <a href="http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1872">Big Fish Game Reviews</a> for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/0/225095.page#4689025>here</a>.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by Bedder on Feb 2, 14 5:29 PM
I find the help button to be not very helpful, especially at the labyrinth, where I am stuck, and also stuck in the well, as I can not get through. The help sends me right back to the labyrinth where there is no help except a set of foot prints through the labyrinth wall. I do not like it when I can't figure it out and can not get sufficient help from the help button. sorry … trash day is today.

Go to: