slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

Re:OMG I am completely enraged.

[Post New]by slm1948 on Feb 12, 09 1:55 PM
Okay, I think I'm finally getting the picture here by reading through the lines. Although only people 18 years of age and older can belong to this game site, some people are buying the games for their children and that's why they want the games here to be pretty G-rated. At least I hope that's the reason for their outrage. I'd sure hate to think they want to dictate what sort of game a 60 year old woman should be allowed to play.

So is there any place for an old lady to buy a good R-rated game if one came along? I'm not interested in smut but a little sex does not offend me. In fact, my memory is still good enough to remember engaging in it occasionally myself in the distant past.

mommacole8
Clownfish
Clownfish
671 Posts

[Post New]by mommacole8 on Feb 12, 09 2:04 PM
slm1948 wrote:

So is there any place for an old lady to buy a good R-rated game if one came along? I'm not interested in smut but a little sex does not offend me. In fact, my memory is still good enough to remember engaging in it occasionally myself in the distant past.

you know I never thought about it .... I do like games with a little color in them.... a few months ago I made a raunchy video with my sims and emailed it to hubby....he got a huge kick out of it.... I think an adults only HO could be a lot of fun but <-------there's that but again only if it was marked clearly.

pinkorbit
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by pinkorbit on Feb 12, 09 2:05 PM
it was pulled because of some text?? too bad. i thought it was funny, and as much a fantasy as any other game, and a pleasant change from the usual dash and hidden object rehashes. (c'mon, like you're really going to insult a teacher to his or her face...)

maybe if all the girls had been tiny-waisted and uh, 'bust'ing out of their shirts they would've kept it.

or maybe if they all worked in a bar or beer tavern

or if they had a gay character

or if they showed some corpses, yeah!

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Feb 12, 09 2:14 PM
Yeah, MomaCole, I've enjoyed games with subtle suggestive dialogue that would shoot over the heads of the innocent. So if you get it, you ain't that innocent!

g8shopgirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
613 Posts

[Post New]by g8shopgirl on Feb 12, 09 2:14 PM
I don't feel this is censorship I see it as big fishes principle. They pull certain blogs and remove site privileges when they get to sexual or referencing. As a company they have that right. We all know how to argue the boundary's and sometime when we win we sacrifices so much more. I like swimming in a environment that has some principle. Not all principle but certain ones to keep the balance. Monitoring us is not a easy job nor is it something I would want to do with so many talented writers out there. But we do ask for protection from our Mods they seem pretty fair and even will to dismiss someone for being aggressively annoying to individuals. Most site wouldn't care as much. This is where I am grateful for there digression. It probably not a horrible game and it's not political correct which makes it fun. At least you can buy it from the manufacturer. I don't think as a business that it was a decision based on money. Let us know when you buy it you can probably pm the few that have it and compare notes.

pinkorbit
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by pinkorbit on Feb 12, 09 2:18 PM
sorry, didn't mean to post twice, my computer's acting up...

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 09 2:19 PM
ewonka - and you're a jellyfish - and i can't stand them- see how the pond helped me out this weekend - and only a diehard irish catholic could talk about penance. And I'm one tool SO I can't ask BF to reinstate the game because I haven't played it. And I couldn't encourage anyone I know to buy it.

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 2:22:53 PM PST

pinkorbit
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by pinkorbit on Feb 12, 09 2:36 PM
slm1948 wrote:So is there any place for an old lady to buy a good R-rated game if one came along? I'm not interested in smut but a little sex does not offend me. In fact, my memory is still good enough to remember engaging in it occasionally myself in the distant past.

slm1948, you totally made my day!

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 12, 09 2:39 PM
slm1948 wrote:Okay, I think I'm finally getting the picture here by reading through the lines. Although only people 18 years of age and older can belong to this game site, some people are buying the games for their children and that's why they want the games here to be pretty G-rated.

Just to clarify a little....my daughter is 18, but we've tried very hard to shelter her from some of the "yuck" in the world. "Yuck" being subjectively definative lol. However, we've been doing something right because, she's in college(2 years early) wears a "purity ring" (her own idea) and has a nice respectful boyfriend, and a career path planned. She doesn't have time for games, but if she did, (and I rarely moniter ANYTHING she does because we have spent so much time teaching her to have good discerment) and got halfway through a game and found explict sexual content, I WOULD cancel my membership here. AND I have about 150 games.

I trust BIGFISH's judgement, and no matter what their reason was for pulling the game, I do believe they want to keep the majority of their customers happy.

If I wanted some spicier games, I am sure searching the internet would bring up things of interest for anyone's taste. I'm glad though that's not the rule here. I'm fine with dead bodies, and incarcerated souls....lol....I didn't participate in the murding or the incarceration as my part of the game...I'm helping to find the murderer or help to free the soul....But with sexual content.....I'm sure my role would be intended for things other than to look upon it with an eye to stamp it out as would be with murder and mayhem....In fact I would just take a guess and say that that type of content is to ask the viewer or player to participate, or at least to enjoy something that was actually created for pleasure...and not something I would want my kids to participate in until it's time. Even at 18.

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 2:55:22 PM PST

eWonka
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by eWonka on Feb 12, 09 2:39 PM
vicalana wrote:ewonka - ...I haven't played it.

You made a very strong assertion about the appropriateness of this game. The people who have know your assertion is opposite the truth. Please take a moment to recognize that fact. This game is about standing up against bullies.

Can you respect the opinions of those who have played it? Will you retract your assertion?

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 09 3:01 PM
I'm sorry - AGAIN - but I don't quite understand what you are saying. What do you want me to retract?

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Feb 12, 09 3:05 PM
bfgAegean wrote:Hello again. Perhaps I should be a bit more specific as to why Dangerous High School Girls was pulled from our site. The reason it was taken down from Big Fish Games was not specifically related to the "bullying" aspect, or some of the language used. It was removed due to some strong sexual content towards the end of the game. We would ask that if you have not played the game to its end, that you trust our judgment and reasoning in our decision to pull it from the site. Thank you for your time in reading this, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Hi bfgAegean ~ thnx for your latest post, feeling less outraged now myself

I jumped to the same conclusion as most others, and was more disappointed than outraged, assuming that caved to pressure and pulled the game because of complaints about the perceived game content, when most of the people complaining about it (in the forums anyway) hadn't even played the game ~ most of their complaints were based on the game description only, which was later revised to better reflect what the game was really about, and there seemed to be more people (who had actually tried it!) standing up for the game than there were people bad-mouthing it ~ so when i heard pulled the game i was like huh?

i only played the demo never bought it, only because it's not the kind of game i'm interested in, but found nothing offensive about it, however, obviously with only an hour of game time i never got anywhere near the end ~ so have no idea what you are referring to as regards sexual content ~ however, i trust had good reason to withdraw the game based on your further explanation.

As another poster mentioned, this was a decision that would no doubt involve a financial loss to , and would not have been made rashly

Thanks for clarifying ~ now back to gaming!

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 12, 09 3:09 PM
vicalana wrote:I'm sorry - AGAIN - but I don't quite understand what you are saying. What do you want me to retract?

Vicalana, I don't think you need to retract anything!

Happy Gaming everyone!!!

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 3:11:16 PM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 09 3:10 PM
slm 1948 you are wonderfulxxxxx

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 09 3:11 PM
Thank you silvermist!xxxxx

eWonka
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by eWonka on Feb 12, 09 3:13 PM
vicalana wrote:I'm sorry - AGAIN - but I don't quite understand what you are saying. What do you want me to retract?

Actually, I am going to apologize. I'm sorry vicalana. I went off because the false statement, 'DHSG promotes bullying', continues to be repeated on these boards. It pushed my button. I shouldn't have taken it out on you. Can you forgive me?

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 12, 09 3:16 PM
eWonka....

I'm observing something that is very rare in forums(but something I do see here in the pond!!!).....Wow.....I'm proud of you eWonka! Quick realization of speaking something a little over the line, and apologizing immediately!!!!!

Perfect way to keep the forums friendly!!!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 12, 09 3:17 PM
silvermist wrote:
I say "better safe than sorry." BigFish is known for it's family oriented games. And as a parent, if I screen a demo and deem it permissable for my children to play, I would be VERY VERY angry if the ending (of a game I had given to my daughter or sent to a friend,) turned out to have explicit scenes.

Some of this is very subjective I'm sure....what it explicit to one person, may not be to another. But I TOTALLY appreciate that BFG does screen games all the way through. This keeps me always able to trust them with decency here.

THANK YOU BIGFISH!!!!!

AND I say to game developers.....if you're going to make anything explicit....make sure you show it in the demo....that way we as parents can say no, and can keep our youngsters innocence in tact for as long as possible.

Silver, THANK YOU also for saying this as well as you did! Sometimes there are also adults who do not want to find themselves exposed to things that might be considered explicit either, and even though it's our choice as adults, I and many others I know would definitely not like finding something of this nature at the end of a game. It is NOT "censoring" when BF decides to pull games they feel are inappropriate for whatever reason...it IS maintaining their VERY SUCCESSFUL business image as a family-oriented game site. They did NOT pull this game simply because people have expressed their negative opinions about it here. They pulled it because THEY found content through THEIR testing that they didn't feel met their standards of a "family oriented" game. Because of things like this, I LIKE knowing that I can recommend BF to my friends (child and adult) and know that neither they nor myself will be embarrassed by running into unexpected "non-family-oriented" game content.

Thanks again BFG!

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Feb 12, 09 3:18 PM
Some posts here remind me of what my son used to say about PG-rated movies. They can't show a woman's breast, but they can chop it off. Oh, well. We will have to agree to disagree on this one, folks!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 09 3:19 PM
Not an issue. No problem. xxx

Go to: