Re:Reviews for Twilight Phenomena: The Lodgers of House 13 Collector's Edition

[Post New]by chuvanya on Oct 26, 12 2:54 AM

Edited on 10/26/2012 at 4:30:10 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Oct 26, 12 5:52 AM
Having played the demo to the end, I think this is a nice game (yeah, the story is kind of ridiculous -- I've just rented a room in a slightly decaying but not by much mansion, and here I am, breaking things right and left, and there's the oddity out my window and all those clothes left behind, what could it mean, and whoops look at what's in the basement, etc.). Ultimately, I'm passing on this one -- maybe because I just finished a Cadillac of a game (Mystery Trackers - Four Aces) and can't help but compare them, but ultimately I think I wanted something a little more interesting. I have no clue why ERS set this in the 1980's?? There's nothing from the 1980's in the game, unless something happens later which makes it reasonable. Not having HOS's was fine with me, but I found, given the time it took even in casual play, for the hint function and the skip button to fill, that I needed the SG to check on things, in a game which otherwise was fairly straightforward, The music with the creepy voices singing away was funny -- kind of a '50's-'60's throwback, and the voice overs were quite good -- I always like the portentous male voice at the beginning of ERS' games stating the title of the game. Ultimately though, the game just didn't grab me; but as I was playing, I thought about some of the other reviews I'd seen, and I do think this will be a fun game for other players -- just not for me.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 26, 12 6:19 AM
ENJOY IT! Great graphics, 2D design of scenery, great storyline, slightly scary with the gorilla running around. Lots of inventory scenes and no standard HOS that I have come across so far in the 1hr trial. Not too difficult mini puzzles, but not so easy to figure out wht inventory is needed to use where. U kinda get lost in the various rooms and beautiful scenery. I loved the hologram cat, so cute!

WORTH IT!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 26, 12 9:11 AM
Beware... might have a spoiler or two...

I hated having to wait for such a long time for the skip button to fill when I wanted to skip a puzzle, but I loved everything else about the game.

I finished now, and really enjoyed it. And I actually loved the bonus game. At the end of the bonus game, I said: "oh oh...", because... just when you think it's over...

Loved the game a lot and am glad I bought the CE, because, as I said, I really loved the bonus game as well. New places to check out, and new puzzles to do. I am happy to say that none of the puzzles were repeats, as you sometimes get with other developers.

I just wish ERS would shorten the fill time for both the skip and hint button (and programme their games so that all of us can enjoy widescreen). Not too much to ask, or is it?

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 26, 12 4:09 PM
When you call it a "Hidden Object Game," it needs to have HOGs! This game wasn't bad, but didn't grab me like other ERS games did, and I have more than one. The graphics weren't bad, but a bit fuzzy in some spots, music okay, game play nice.

Didn't use the hint, so don't know about that part of it. SG was a bit sketchy, but not too bad either.

I like adventure games (althought I much prefer combo adventure/HOG), but as I said, this one just didn't make me want to run out and buy it...even though there is a special on it today. No buy for me today. Maybe as an SE, maybe not.

Try it for yourself and decide it if is the game for you. We all have different tastes in games and you may thoroughly enjoy this one. Thanks for the reviews.

Caraface
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Caraface on Oct 26, 12 4:34 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is starting to do the eye roll when ERS pops up on my screen. I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one who realized they use the same music in all their games! I thought I was going nuts.

This game is more of the same from them. Creepy house, creepy scientist, creepy creepers. It's not horrible, just more of the same.

EDIT: Apparently I'm a starfish now! Hooray!

Edited on 10/26/2012 at 4:35:16 PM PST

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Oct 26, 12 6:03 PM
I am with some of your on your comments in regards to ERS...I now tend to 'roll my eye's " at these games, BUT pure adventure, it is worth a look at!

I appologize, this should be under comments, NOT reviews

manitoban
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by manitoban on Oct 26, 12 8:14 PM
I'm glad to have a game with no HOs, but the puzzles are rather simple and some of them not really a challenge at all. However, the graphics are lovely (the sounds, I don't know because I never listen to them anyway), so I'm going to buy, hoping that it lasts longer than I anticipate after playing the demo.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 26, 12 9:52 PM
I really liked this game and I loved the ending...what a surprise..

Msjoie
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Msjoie on Oct 27, 12 2:23 AM
This is a great game. Its story is on the dark side but the graphics are mostly beautiful. i enjoyed every minute of this game. I just finished it and am sad that it's done, but that said, "wow" finally a game without hog's that is awesome! i bought this game on sale and it was worth every cent and more. Really a fun game that I can figure out all by my self without using help!!! it's challenging but not so much that you have to be psychic to play it. Very fun and enjoyable.throughout the entire game. the mini games are really fun too. Great job ERS and thank you BFG. .

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Oct 27, 12 2:37 AM
I seem to be a minority as I enjoyed the game--though I agree that it should have been listed as Adventure rather than as a HOG. The graphics seem up to ERS's usual standard; the strategy guide outstanding; and I found the story of a mad scientist quite suitable for Halloween. Also, I really LOVED having an adventure game with no hidden object piles; it was different.

I admit to being a tad disappointed that the problem of the poor slobs that the scientist has been experimenting on isn't resolved in the bonus content--I was hoping that the player character would find something in his lab that would allow you to reverse the process--but I guess that wasn't the story that ERS wanted to tell.

All in all, I'd give the game a B+. It was not the very finest game that ERS has created, but I thought it was a pretty good one.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 27, 12 12:52 PM
Don't know why some of the fishes don't like this ERS game. I kinda liked it.. It didn't have any HOG's but Hey.. why are you expected to have them anyway.. Liked the graphics, I don't think they are washed out... Liked the music and kinda creepy a head with no body and a monkey runnng around with his body?? Hints do take a little while to reload but sometimes you need a game that is more of a chalenge.. I like the game and give it 4 out of 5 stars.. Oh forgot to mention about your helper the kitty kat..

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Oct 27, 12 1:26 PM
Congrats on the new "look" caraface!

Just got enough time on my hands to finish this & gotta say - for sure! Wasn't sure going in - I do love H0 scenes - but as with Penumbra did not miss them a bit...the very linnear path of "find something use it immediately" did veer off quite nicely as the game progressed, so difficulty did increase.

Two things stand out; first the fab combination of just creepy ookiness AND things so darn cute you need an insulin shot! Not to mention a few "jumped a bit in my chair" moments - it keeps you off balance, you don't know if the next thing you see will be: Awwwwww or Eeeeeeeeek!

Silly me didn't even look at the extras - honestly I assumed it would be "the usual" - as I neared the end of the game I found myself thinking "These mini games are really fun! Wish ERS was one to put mini game re-plays in the Extras" ... imagine my surprise when I got to the Extras and there they all were!

Yes, the skip button takes a lifetime to charge...but this actually worked for me. I was determined to skip at least two (maybe three?) games but got bored waiting for the skip and solved every game by just messing about while waiting - really...mindless clicking! So even that "downside" ended up working out for me.

So, I'll confirm my earlier advice: try this one for yourself especially while it's still $9.99 for the balance of the weekend!

Happy Gaming!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Oct 27, 12 3:23 PM
Based on completed game (including bonus game)...

A fun game... PURE ADVENTURE/PUZZLE!!! No hidden object scenes... FINALLY!!!!

It's a lot of fun... I won't repeat what the earlier reviews said since they covered it nicely but did want to add my dissapointment with the ending.. BOTH Of the endings. For those considering SE vs CE... no problem. The CE ending didn't add anything to the story... honestly NOTHING (and that's a big problem since the SE ending didn't finish the storyline ) but if you're wondering about price may as well wait.

Ok highlight the rest to read since it contains spoilers...

The ending is TERRIBLE!!! In fact I'd say there really isn't an ending. Throughout the game you have people asking you to save them and what do you do??? Leave them there... NO idea of what happens to them at all. Sorry ERS but you HAVE TO tie up your loose ends you can't just leave them like that. If you don't want to save them, fine, then kill them off in the story... but it's really bad to just leave them there and without the crazy guy to even keep them going what? The little floating heads are just gonna slowly whither away?

When it ended I thought it would be one of those CE where you need the CE ending to finish the game but nope it just didn't end. There IS a hint of more to the story but the odd thing is it didn't relate to anything. I mean all of a sudden you throw a vampire in the mix?????? It didn't make sense.

WORST. ENDING. EVER.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 28, 12 8:41 AM
Another very good offering from ERS. This time, it's monkey business set in a mansion you rent a room in.

Yes, none of it makes much sense at all and those heads freaked me out far more than anything Charles Dalimar could ever inflict on me. There's just something about talking heads without bodies that is quite spooky. And what happened to them all? That's anyone's guess, as the ending is quite abrupt.

Having said that, it's a typical ERS. The voiceovers are always very well done, background music not annoying, if somewhat repetitive, and the graphics are what we expect from these developers. I counted some 29 puzzles in the main game and 6 in the bonus. There are no H0S at all, which is a major plus for me.

I enjoyed the game and the bonus. For me, the CE was worth it. If you like games by this developer, you are sure to like this one.

[Post New]by iHave2ManyGames on Oct 28, 12 12:11 PM
Well, I am really enjoying this game! With the sale going on this weekend, I almost passed this one by.....didn't realize this was another ERS game until I played the 30 second video sample and recognized the artistry right away and knew it had to be an ERS game. I have been waiting for a break in pricing only to spend far more than I originally intended...mostly on previously released ERS CE games. I was losing interest in ERS games like some other folks around here until I stumbled across this one and all I can say is.....Thank God, Tim (from Haunted Halls fame) isn't in this one! I hope the newest installment finally puts this series to rest.
Maybe, I can get back to enjoying ERS's games with the exception of Penumbra Motel or whatever the heck it's called. Between Tim and the Motel game, ERS almost lost one of their loyal fans.
This is to ERS (if they ever come around to read the reviews)
Thank you for going back to what you do best.....I could care less about "live film action" like in Penumbra, when artwork is done the way you do it. ERS games have a distinctive quality that equals fantasy to me and live action doesn't mix well with how your games are drawn unlike a couple of other devs who have been able to get the 2 to work well together because of the way they are drawn.

When I purchase ERS it's for fantasy, music, art/graphics, anything that doesn't pull me back to real life (i.e. live actors, etc) and a fun game that I don't have to read a "how to" manual as I play to get through a game especially when I play the hardest version (with no hints/skips). I feel like I've really accomplished something and am up there, with the real expert BFG members. I love FROGS, and hope to see you incorporate them into a well made game soon.
P.S.
Gamergirl ....I can always trust you to write the info I need. You haven't misled me yet, in the past 2-3 years.....maybe we like the same games. I dunno, but thank you for your input!

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Oct 28, 12 1:34 PM
Loved, loved, loved this game. Loved no HOS - frankly, I'm finding them verrrrry boring these days. Loved that the puzzles were something complete different and not too easy and not too hard. Loved the beautiful graphics. I got the story too (not necessarily a big priority with me). Loved that I didn't have to wear tennis shoes as the game is completed in sections. Very, very nice game. Thank you developers! Keep them coming!

The_Wanderer
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by The_Wanderer on Oct 29, 12 4:45 AM
I loved this game. Very enjoyable, great graphics, good sound. Mini games were a little bit straight forward, but good none the less. Excellent adventure game from ERS my favourite dev by far. I thought it was a decent length and left me feeling like I had accomplished something.

Definitely Recommend

kanona29
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kanona29 on Oct 30, 12 12:06 PM
I just finished the game, but not the Bonus play and I enjoyed it very much. I play games for a fun distraction and that's what this was.

I played in Hard Mode and I found this game and the puzzles to be fairly easy actually, but still fun nonetheless. I didn't have to refer to the Strategy Guide not even one time during game play.

I never use the SKIP button, so how that feature works is irrelevant to me, but I must say all the puzzles can be easily solved.

There was no map, but this game didn't need one at all since you are only exploring a few locations at a time before moving on to the next set of locations.

The best part about this game was that there were no Hidden Object Scenes.THANK YOU! It was a pure light-adventure game which I love. The puzzles were easy, but fun...except for the monkey puzzle. I think that one may have been the most challenging in the whole game.

The storyline was a bit quirky and the graphics are more cartoon-like as I am accustomed to ERS being, but I enjoy that style very much. It's their signature style/look and it's one of the things I enjoy about them.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Oct 30, 12 12:36 PM
Phew, just finished the main and bonus game! Took me quite a while, though there are no hidden object scenes at all in the game; it was actually refreshing to me to play a game with no HO scenes and I loved the puzzles/minigames, they were not too hard; I could finish them all with no skips!

I loved all the different rooms, the artwork is pretty. What a weird game though, crazy story. I loved all the cute animals, a lot of them in this game and the cat was a nice gizmo

Go to: