SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Re:Reviews for Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden

[Post New]by SMQMC on Nov 16, 12 8:34 AM
Really loved this game! Interesting, kind of creepy, good under-water scenes that made you feel like taking a deep breath before entering and it kept you quite busy. The only things I didn't like were the funny mouth movements when the characters spoke, and the constant going back and forth to the elevator to arrive at other scenes where you had to do something and then go back into the elevator to complete something at another scene. Very tiresome, but I think that the game was worth the effort. The elevator going up and down makes it a longer game time-wise, but it's the only way to get to the various scenes so it was a necessity. You really don't need a walk-through because of the map that's given to you. It shows where you are and where a task has to be done next. You can always figure it out, so it's not too hard and there's always the HINT button. Highly recommend this game!!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 9, 12 11:49 AM
WOW...A FUN and ENTERTAINING game, that is more like a CE, than a SE, so worth the money, you get a BONUS chapter, after the main game is completed
This one has everything, a regular SE doesn't have, bonus chapter, achivements to earn, domino's to play if you don't want to do the H0 scene.
Although, the H0 scene's were interactive and fun, they did such a good job on those, so I did all of the H0 scene's, LOVED them .
I will play the domino's on the next go around, to get that achivement award, so this one has replay value also .
The scenery was BEAUTIFUL, with some SCARY moments too, and the developers did an awesome job with the story, and characters, they looked so life like, and different from other games, I've played, don't know what they call those kind of graphics, but I LOVED them .
Everything looked cool, the octopussy, the way the water filled up the enviorment, on the bottom floor of the elevator, it just felt real to me, like I was actually there ...and to me that is what makes a great game .
This game is a must try for H0G fans, I was so surprised by this one, it is an AWESOME game, and I can't wait for the next in this series, it will be a buy for sure .

Thanks DEVELOPERS, AM, you all are SO TALENTED, and I for one appreciate all of your hard work, especially giving us a long game with a bonus, for free, plus achivements, all wrapped up in the perfect SE .. !!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 10, 12 6:38 AM
a somewhat different and entertaining game

pzzllvr
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by pzzllvr on Dec 22, 12 7:19 PM
Great Game! Bought it before I finished trial. The graphics are great and the story line is gripping. I believe even the most seasoned player will agree this is worth buying.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Jan 10, 13 4:11 PM
Excellent, excellent game. Interesting and immersive story, great graphics, nice length. Only negative for me is my old nemesis - hate clicking penalties. I don't get them at all. If you are playing on an advanced level with no hints, and an object is hidden, how are you to find it without clicking?

Fortunately, this game allowed switching modes, so whenever I hit an HOG scene with lots of "hidden" objects (you know, the medallion hidden in the vase type of thing) I switched back to casual and back out again after the scene. A pain, and a frustrating one, but at least the game was playable.

I usually don't buy games with clicking penalties at all. But this one was wonderful.

lookywho
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by lookywho on Jan 29, 13 9:34 AM
just finished the game a very nice story

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Feb 9, 13 2:08 PM
Very enjoyable game. Good storyline and graphics. Quite a few puzzles, and H O scenes with an option to play dominos instead. It was a good length and the addition of a short prequel chapter and achievements was a bonus.

GAME COMPLETED TWICE

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 15, 13 5:23 AM
GAME COMPLETED TWICE

I Don’t Understand Why I Don’t Like This Game More

Story: Find your missing fiancé in the deepest parts of the ocean. Discover and investigate a forgotten underwater city that hides many spine-chilling secrets and supernatural forces which still lurk in every corner of this mysterious world. Face an ancient evil that is hiding in the deepest chambers of the once idyllic city of Eden.

Developer: Artifex Mundi
Release Date: Nov 2012
Extras: Achievements, Extra Chapter (Separate from Main Game), Interactive Map

Here’s an intelligent story with believable twists, and clear and attractive, if not brilliant graphics. We’ve got uncluttered HOs, with the choice to play a domino game as an alternative to the admittedly very many HOs.

The puzzles were also interesting and not so hard that I had to skip more than a couple. Ambient sounds are good, voiceovers excellent, didn’t really notice the music. Cut scenes were not too frequent and were well done. Overall, though I didn’t time it, the game seemed longer than average. Has an excellent interactive map.

But something is missing. I felt no connection to the characters at all, was not moved by the beauty of the locations, didn’t hold my breath wondering what came next (even though the mystery was exceptionally well maintained).

Which means it’s a good game, but will never be a great one: an ideal punchcard filler.

Edited on 02/22/2013 at 4:49:22 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 24, 13 1:41 AM
I don't have anything to add. I am really enjoying everything about this game so far. I finished the demo, and it's a definite buy for me!

ETA: (Edited To Add): I did get this game using a punch card credit, and now that I've played almost all of it, I do have to agree with what JustTheFacts said above.

The demo grabbed me, but now I find myself getting restless, much like a movie that doesn't quite live up to the promise of the previews. Once you've figured out how it's going to end, you just want it to hurry up and be over with.

I'm not sorry I used a credit, I just think I've gotten all the fun out of it I'm going to get. I may play it through to the end, or I may not.

Edited on 02/24/2013 at 4:54:44 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on May 13, 13 3:19 AM
I most enjoy the Artifex Mundi's games, and this one is not exception!
Very good game, vith lots of achviements, I have already collectd 3 during the demo, and I hope can achieve many more! Good story and art work, cleaver puzzles and minigames, good map, and hint system! So far it's a 4 1/2

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 14, 13 9:04 PM
I also had to check a couple of times and make sure this was not a CE. With all of the achievements, and using the "Last Chapter" as a bonus chapter, it was unexpected as a SE. Loved the map, although I would have preferred a jump map, but then I guess you would not have needed the elevator. Nice change of pace being underwater, along with a few OH MY's, thrown in there. I have to learn when playing on a 23" monitor NOT to lean in so much because I know of three scenes where I definitely sat back, real quick. Yes, they got me. I much prefer playing HOS than domino's, although there are achievements for playing domino's. Puzzles were not that difficult and it really helped knowing where you had available "actions" to be done by using the map. All in all, it was great fun and hope everyone else had a good time playing this game, as well.

fingretart
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by fingretart on Aug 13, 13 10:33 AM
Seriously, they left the squirrel?

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Aug 25, 13 7:29 PM
I bought this game in Dec. 2012 and just played it including the Last Chapter and it really is an ok game and do not regret buying it

The music ,well, I finally had to turn off because it on a very short loop but other than that it was a good play with lots of walking but I needed new sneakers anyway and the map did show where I needed to go which is a thumbs up.

The storyline you will have to judge yourself as I saw in it how a good free society can be overtaken by corrupt power and felt uneasy watching it unfold.

I used the hints when I needed them and there is no walkthrough.

Last chapter I went online to see if there were any walkthroughs and gave up, went back to game and made it through

By the way in the HOS several items went by names I'm not familiar with but I personally find it a little fun challenge to figure out what they meant and enjoy seeing what items in other country's are called [example: in my part of Texas a black iron frying pan is a black iron frying pan BUT in the area of New England where I lived they are strictly called the 'spider'...here ' rubber band & there 'elastic's ' ]

Artifex Mundi did good job and if you get stuck in a minigame, especially the last chapter, Remember this, K.I.S.S. {keep it simple stupid } or you may have a palm to forehead moment LOL

All in all I'm giving 'Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden' out of possible 5 and will play again

Edited on 08/25/2013 at 7:36:59 PM PST

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Aug 26, 13 1:55 PM
yes yes yes I loved this game,,, lots of running around, but the map was helpful and accurate.. Loved the achievements and the dominoes !!! I do get bored with hogs,,
I also bought this game some time ago and wished I had played it earlier !!!
congrtats Devs I have enjoyed all of your games but this one for me anyway was the best... a very well planned game

[Post New]by philanna3827 on Feb 3, 14 8:58 PM
WoW!! What a journey! I loved the story, and just about everything about it.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 26, 14 11:28 PM
roaming wrote:I don't have anything to add. I am really enjoying everything about this game so far. I finished the demo, and it's a definite buy for me!

ETA: (Edited To Add): I did get this game using a punch card credit, and now that I've played almost all of it, I do have to agree with what JustTheFacts said above.

The demo grabbed me, but now I find myself getting restless, much like a movie that doesn't quite live up to the promise of the previews. Once you've figured out how it's going to end, you just want it to hurry up and be over with.

I'm not sorry I used a credit, I just think I've gotten all the fun out of it I'm going to get. I may play it through to the end, or I may not.

I have just played most of the game for a second time. Sorry to say my opinion hasn't changed. I'm getting close to the end, and once again I'm sick of it. The tediousness is excruciating. No worries about it not being long enough, I assure you.

When I get bored, I started asking myself questions. Why is this person wandering around a wrecked, underwater city for hours and hours with nothing more than scuba gear? We have to assume she's still wearing it while she's exploring the submerged areas and looking all over the damn place looking for tools. Wouldn't her air run out after a while? And why didn't the silly woman at least bring a tool belt with her, an underwater light, flares and a harpoon gun?

Is it just me, or does it seem odd that it's possible to drain out water when the whole thing is under water? There appear to be many fish and other creatures swimming past the broken windows, but amazingly, there are still people walking around, breathing in and out, and they have not drowned!! Unlike the folks whose bodies she comes across.

Suspension of disbelief stretches only so far when you're mousing back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and....

Edited on 03/27/2014 at 12:04:23 AM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Sep 28, 14 8:19 PM
What good is a map that doesn't take you where you want to go? And yeah, it's dumb to not carry tools.

No sale.

Go to: