Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

Re:Reviews for Cruel Games: Red Riding Hood

[Post New]by Seester2 on Feb 22, 13 5:01 PM
Even thought the ending was a bit abrupt (even though I liked the twist at the end) I loved this game. It had good long game play, interesting story, great graphics, mini-games were not too hard. I liked the fact that you could go to the map and jump from one place to another and it told you where you needed to be to do things (even though I did not realize there was a map until about halfway through the game! LOL!) I am a bit tired of doom and gloom games, but if that is all they have to offer anymore, this one would be at the top of my faves. I give it a 7 out of 10.

GAME COMPLETED TWICE

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 20, 13 5:11 AM
Pretty Darn Good Actually!

GAME COMPLETED TWICE

I was thinking “Better Than Average”, but that sounds a little wishy washy doesn’t it? Actually, it’s really a great game to play. It is colourful and lively with a lot of activity in every scene, and a lot of excellent (though static) HOs. It is enveloped in a well-constructed story, is entertaining rather than hard, and quite lengthy.

Technical quality is there, artistic talent pleasant without being earth-shattering. No voiceovers, just sweet little notes from the baddy, and a detailed journal.

A serial killer has got your guy and is playing a cat and mouse game with you, leaving you nasty little notes, attached to clues and pieces of evidence that advance your search. No matter what you do or where you are, he always seems to be just one step ahead.

This game involves a lot of seeking and finding, travelling through numerous locations and clearing dozens of HOs. So it is just as well you have the bad guy AND an interactive jump map to keep you on track.

Unlike many games with similar stories, the gameplay is designed to remind you of the theme of the story, so fairy tale references pop up a lot.

Puzzle and adventure experts steer clear; this is a game for casual relaxed play, not Master Mind. And now I think about it, there’s hardly any puzzles at all. Hmm. Didn’t even notice, I was having such a good time.

I recommend this game!

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Aug 22, 13 9:03 AM
Attention: Red Riding Hood goes after the Big Bad Wolf!

I have nothing but nice things to say about this game. It is a good looking well made game with a good story and a decent length that was very enjoyable to play.

sunshinej

[Post New]by beccasmummy on Sep 20, 13 8:26 AM
what was with the bear in the final scene??

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 12, 13 7:11 PM
I've always found games released just as SE's to be a bit plain and average, but this one is not. When trialing it, something compelled me to buy it, and I was not disappointed. While I'll admit this game has some flaws, it is still an enjoyable game. I think I'll definitely play this again.

The story is what first got me hooked. I'm sure everyone knows that I'm a sucker for murder mysteries, but this one is different from most. It is somewhat lighthearted. While there is the serious side of trying to save your boyfriend from the Storyteller, there is also a funny side to it as well, especially with the discussions with the characters. This is not your typical bodies everywhere, blood on the ceiling murder mystery, but is a rather enjoyable break.
The main story is: Your boyfriend, Kevin, has been abducted by The Storyteller, and has cast you as the role of Red Riding Hood. Thus, you begin a whirlwind journey to stop the Storyteller and save your lover.
This story did have its ups and downs. The start was great, but then, about halfway through the game, the story did become a little bit tedious. However, near the end of the game, the story picked up again, and finished with the most amazing conclusion I've ever seen, and was one that I never saw coming, not in a million years.

The gameplay is somewhere in between average and good. It's mostly Hidden Object and Adventure, with a couple of puzzles tossed in here and there. The HOS were fun, although they were not interactive, and were all lists. There were quite a few of them there, and I enjoyed playing them. The puzzles were not necessarily hard, but there were a couple I had to skip.
Other than that, this is pretty much your average HOPA. Experienced players should have no trouble navigating through. There is a hint, skip, a diary and apparently there is a map, but I didn't see one, so I'm saying there is no map.

The graphics are somewhat average. They are clear, but I've seen much better. The designs of rooms and characters seemed very outdated for a 2012 game. A lot more detail should have been put in to the graphics.
There are NO voice-overs in this game except for the intro. This is a real shame, because it would have made the game much more frightening and much better.

(to be continued)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 12, 13 7:13 PM
(continued from previous post)

FEATURES
2 modes of difficulty: Casual and Advanced. Differences are hint and skip and recharge times. I played Casual.
Hint and Skip- both recharged fairly fast on Casual, and the hint is very helpful outside HOS.
Diary to keep track of events.

Despite all its flaws, I did rather enjoy this game. If I was reviewing it based on how much I liked it, I'd give it a four, but as I am reviewing it out of five stars, like a true game reviewer, I can only give it a three. Don't let my rating fool you, though, this is a game with a great story and one that is good fun to play.

On the game length:
The game length for me was somewhere in between 3 and 3 ½ hours on Casual, with most puzzles skipped. This is my idea of perfect game length.

TedsMum10
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by TedsMum10 on Oct 19, 13 9:56 AM
I absolutely LOVE this game...AND this developer, who turn out some great games.

The game play, on the Kindle Fire HD is great and the graphics spooky without being dark and depressing. So good to see COLOUR in graphics and not tinted monochrome. Good, original story line taking you everywhere from the rather mums and graveyard and church to a biker' s bar, gas station, dock, motel -even a trip on a boat. I would have preferred a daytime setting but I guess you can't have everything!

Rapidly shaping up to be one of my favourite games ever, alongside Alice Trapped in Wonderland, Lost Souls and the first two Empress of the Deep games.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 2, 14 12:07 AM
I expected this game to be a lot better than it was, given the developer, whose games I have come to expect a lot more from. I had bought it a while ago as a DD, I think, probably based on several good reviews and knowing the developer, but I never got around to playing it until tonight.

I'm sorry to say I just did not find this game interesting or exciting at all. There is nothing new in it - it's the same old, same old.

Shame on you, developer.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 14, 14 10:01 PM
This is one of those games which gets good reviews but when I try to play it all I can think of is how stupid I, the alleged heroine, am. And I have to wonder why I can't use a ladder until I ask for a hint - I put it here and put it there and I keep getting told I can't use it there but when I give up and ask for a hint guess what I am told to do?

Sometimes the items in my inventory cannot possibly be used for what they are successfully used for. I guess that is a problem with a lot of games - I've cut bolts with nippers before.

But what really bothers me is this whole, "I will not touch that because it is dusty!" or "I will NOT touch that because there is a spider on it!" even though my boyfriend is in danger and I'm supposed to be rescuing him. Dear me, I must go off to find a way to remove said dust and spider because the whole thought of touching those AWFUL things is just too much for me. I can't even handle a *gasp* mouse! Such a silly girl I am!

On top of that there are the whooshing noises which are almost non-stop. And of course I run around doing this and that when the solution is right there in my inventory. There are uses for metal bars - lots of uses. There are also uses for broken bottles.

So I am not happy with this game, especially as I have played a couple of excellent games recently and so I guess my standards are now higher. I am surprised that this developer has put out such a low quality game. When I saw the name I thought the game would be up to their normal high standards.

Two stars and I am being VERY generous.

And, of course, I am still an ugly herring.

Edited on 07/14/2014 at 10:04:06 PM PST

Go to: