read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

Comments for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders CE

[Post New]by read61 on Dec 2, 12 6:56 AM
Just finished this game and I really enjoyed it, good length and a good story! I thought they caught the Victorian flavour quite well and the dialogue added to the whole experience. I felt that I was participating in a murder mystery book! The bonus game was a good length and very well done, not absolutely necessary for the main game but a nice wrap-up to the story. I simply wish that there had been some collectibles or achievements, then it would have been perfect. Maybe in their next game.....

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

Re:Comments for Brink of Cosciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by oct2447 on Dec 7, 12 10:29 AM
Well at least the drinks vending machine looks "Victorian".......... but the bluesy sax in the background????

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

Re:Comments for Brink of Cosciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by oct2447 on Dec 9, 12 10:13 AM
Finished it, loved the graphics and the game play, this may be one I actually play more than once.................minor annoyance with "film noir" music and other things out of the period, but not enough to diminish my enjoyment of the game.

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Dec 10, 12 4:11 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I particularly liked the originality shown in the puzzles and in the HO scenes. Quite entertaining.

I normally do not buy CE's unless there is a special sale to make the increase in price more acceptable since I usually find nothing in the EXTRAS to make the increased price worthwhile. I would highly recommend watching the interviews with the game development team in the extras of this game. Lots of information and insight into the development of this game.

Q

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Mar 31, 13 7:36 PM
Wow, this actually looks interesting. The voice overs are great (especially if you enjoy the characters in Downton Abbey) and the characters actually move around. Graphics are good and atmospheric. The puzzles I've come across in the first 20 minutes of the demo are a bit different and moderately challenging. I sincerely hope there is less talking as the game progresses as the constant chatting got a bit tedious.

The storyline is fairly standard - a Victorian father making inquiries about his missing daughter - and there is of course the missing valve - can't make a game without a missing valve. I didn't run across any glaring anachronisms but there is the usual "searching for and stealing objects right in front of people" e.g. taking a hammer from the lobby of the police station, right in front of the cop on duty.

I did read in another review that they came across a scene where a punch card was used to enter a hotel room. I think the devs of these games are very young and don't remember a time when things weren't run by electronics. a heavy-duty research is needed in computer games, the same as in the writing of novels or films.

The map is very basic and not interactive. The extras are the usual concept art and soundtrack which doesn't turn my crank at all, but I played the first B of C game, Dorian Gray Syndrome, and enjoyed the CE, so this should be a good one as well.

I think this will be a buy for me.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Apr 16, 13 7:21 PM
I've completed the CE game, rather quickly considering all the dialogue, and whooshed through the bonus as well. Great game with lovely graphics, a few interesting puzzles, and a lot of British-accented hot air.

Good points:
-- a great variety of Monty-Pythonesque British and British wannabe voices e.g. "Begging your poddon, suh, won't happen again, suh"
-- interesting music and great ambient sound effects, like the dog's yawns
-- truly unique and inventive IHOs - my first fun HO! - I usually hate them
-- developer interviews - fun, fascinating and truly interesting
-- the cairn with the long, lovely quote from Shakespeare

Not so good points:
-- dialogue was gone forever if you missed it - the phone rang 3 times while I was reading the dialogue and I couldn't find a way to replay it - so lost a large part of the thread and never caught up, and lost interest in the story after that
-- the steampunk concept started off well but lapsed into almost nothing (just the glass pods) by the end - the devs could have done a lot with details, like they did with the Victorian pop can, but things like lipsticks and clowns were boringly modern
-- the moody and eerie Victorian atmosphere was spoiled by a lot of anachronistic Americanisms - no one said "say what?" in Victorian England, and the name Jayden didn't exist until someone made it up in the 1990s
-- those @#$%, boring, overdone valve handles again - there were 4 of them in this game - please in future confiscate and bury all valve handles behind the garage and plant goatweed over them
-- the usual lack of logic in placement of clues - a fish in a mailbox, a key sealed in a tin can
-- warning needed near the end of the main story - visit the WC before you reach the end, because the dialogue goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on

I found the profound emotions of the characters speaking about their dead children very, very hard to take. Is there ever a good time to be playing a game about murdered children and bereaved parents? I also have to add here that it was hard to be enthusiastic about finishing this game after watching the news in Boston and then seeing the mine entrance explode and the hotel burn - this wasn't an entertaining, escapist pastime today.

Edited on 04/16/2013 at 7:22:37 PM PST

Go to: