NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Nov 20, 12 11:09 AM
What a beautifully created murder mystery this is!!

I absolutely love the graphic style of this game, all of the locations have beautiful shadows and lighting effects and artwork; I played with the ''grain'' on because it adds a little extra touch that I enjoy looking at. Seeing the reflections of people and buildings in the water was amazing. I am really impressed with the graphics, also of the characters, I enjoyed looking at them speaking; and your partner walking around.

Speaking of speaking, I love love love the British accents, the voices in this game are very well done! I clicked on all the people so I could hear what they have to say until they repeated themselves there is a lot of talking but if you want to know all of the story you have to have patience! The music was very fitting as were the sounds.

The puzzles were very interesting and original, enjoyed all of them, and never had to skip or look for help! Also the HO scenes were fun, with those interactive bits.

The story was nice, detective mystery type, with many twists! I am now playing the bonus chapter, and again, BEAUTIFUL locations !!! (and a very strange story) EDIT: okay, I finished it all, I loved how there was a connection between the Dorian Gray Syndrome game and this game, what a twist! and I loved watching the interview in the Extras, seeing all the people who made this game at the end was fun to see and I cannot wait for their next game (which they also show in the interview, a sneak peek! How exciting!

Great game !

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 1:33:26 AM PST

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tredzwater on Nov 21, 12 4:26 AM
lushknight wrote:I agree with everything Poutoule says

As do I.

This is a fantastic game! What I really love about it is the storyline. MagicIndie always has great graphics and a lovely user interface but it's the storyline that keeps me coming back for more.

I don't want to find out what happens. I need to find out what happens! And, they just never disappoint.

Not to mention I love the klutzy kid cop (forgot his name). He's just so innocent and so very sincere! LOL! "Sorry, Sir!" I can just see him saluting five times for every word!

I won't list my other loves because they'd be spoilers but this is a game worth my CE money!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Nov 21, 12 11:43 AM
My pet peeve...games with dark dark dark DARK and did I say dark graphics! The storyline was good as was the music, but the talk talk talking dragged on and on and on. The SG was too dark to figure out the one puzzle that I tried to use it on. All in all I am not impressed.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 21, 12 9:37 PM
i am torn by this game, i completed the demo in 55 mins. the graphics were outstanding, but waaaay to much yapping! the music was great (imo)but as was mentioned before neither jazz or pop machines available in 19th century england, personally, sparkles do not bother me but surely developers could include the option of not playing with them no matter what difficulty level one chooses, i will buy this game but only as a sale item or se

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 9:38:27 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Nov 22, 12 5:16 PM
(Based on the demo): This has turned out to be quite a nice game once I got used to the extremely dark graphics, depressing story, and very chatty, very British characters - it got to the point where I was telling them to just shut up and skipping the dialogue (of which there is a very large amount).

The Hint Button refills quickly - about twenty seconds. Hints are provided outside HOS and they indicate an area of interest or guide the player to another area.

There is no rapid clicking penalty.

I haven't checked the SG as I have seen no use for it so far. I also have not used the map.

HOS are fairly good and interactive for a few items.

I like the puzzles although a few have been remarkably easy - even for me and I'm not good at puzzles. I was amazed at how simple one was. I wondered why anyone would even bother to make a puzzle so easy.

I didn't notice the music at all.

If it takes an hour for an experienced player to complete the bonus chapter it would probably take me four. So I will purchase the CE even though I haven't referred to the SG.

It's a nice game, not great, not anything to write home about but pretty good.

and 1/2 is my rating (which is based only on the demo)

foxlyn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by foxlyn on Nov 23, 12 10:32 PM
Truly enjoyable! The graphics are absolutely beautiful - for those few who said they are dark, it must be your settings, I had no such problem. Yes, there is a lot of dialogue which usually I skip through, but this is so well done and more like a mini-movie I found I kept clicking on the characters for more information and because they were great to listen to. The puzzles were fun and the HOS were well done with nice little touches (the mouse and cats made me laugh). Really nice voice overs that brought out the characters (why weren't they listed in the credits?). And the music reminded me of the theme from the tv series Agatha Christie's Poirot. As for the fuss over sparkles/no sparkles, I don't get it and I don't care.

Great game, was lots of fun to play. Thanks Magicindie and Big Fish!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 24, 12 4:23 AM
I surprised myself by enjoying this game immensely and, even with a decided lack of patience, I listened to all of the conversations. If you do not like a good old fashioned Sherlock Holmes detective story - and I'm not a huge fan of detective shows in general myself - with a lot (and I mean, an awful lot) of dialogue, then turn away now. This, however, pulled me in from the start.

I very much enjoyed Dorian Gray and this is on a par with that game, even though it plays completely differently. There are references to Dorian Gray, which are explained in interviews with the developers in the 'Extras'.

The music is relaxing and different for a change, the voiceovers very well done and I even enjoyed the H0S, some of which have humorous elements to them. Puzzles, I agree, are way too easy. I counted some 13 H0S in the main game and 4 in the bonus; and 17 puzzles main game, 4 in the bonus. I didn't find there to be too much running around. Once you move to a new location, you don't get to go right back to the very beginning. For me a teleportation map was not necessary, therefore, and I hardly looked at the map.

Frankly, I'd rather play another game in this vein than the disappointment that was this year's MCF.

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 3:12:49 PM PST

num1mxmom
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by num1mxmom on Nov 25, 12 10:07 AM
This is a great game. I love the suspense. its fun and challenging

Edited on 11/25/2012 at 1:06:29 PM PST

num1mxmom
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by num1mxmom on Nov 25, 12 1:06 PM
Just finished the CE it was amazing. The ending was not who I thought it was but it was great. LOVED this game.

Great job

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Nov 25, 12 6:28 PM
I love this game. One of my favorite games i've played in a long time. These are my favorite kind of games and this one wasn't a disapointment, The only thing I wish that was differerent is that I wish we could have been able to jump the places on the map.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Nov 26, 12 3:35 PM
The BEST game EVER!!!
I love Sherlock Holmes type adventure games, but also LOVED the interesting HOGS (One was so fun, the piano and playing the right notes..)

The characters of Owen and Logan were SO good and sympathetic...I really found myself caring about them. The animations were SO amazing during the dialogues..I loved how they were totally in synch to the individual dialogues.
The scenes were so incredible, it felt like being inside a very well made movie...shades of Syberia but much much better(and Syberia is a true icon, too)

Nice and long and NEVER ever boring...fun puzzles but not too frustrating....loved having the map with areas marked on what should be considered next...

Developers, kudos, and PLEASE make more games with this detective(in the Victorian era; LOVE it!!!!

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Nov 29, 12 2:19 AM
This will be a short and sweet review where normally I give lengthy reviews. I loved this game, the storyline, the characters, the voice overs. I love the extra work that went into the game. I love the surprise responses as many as 3 different responses. It is not necessary to hear the added conversation but I enjoy it. There is many different responses for those of us who love voice overs and surprises at what is being said. The added touch of more than one response from the character is not necessasry for people who do not like that in a game, but I LOVE that in a Game.

I am playing Sherlock Holmes and I keep thinking the actor who did the voice of the Inspector would make a better voice for Sherlock Holmes. I love the bumbling loyal Rookie cop and his personality in this Game. I only have one con to the game and it is the hidden object screens are not brightly colored. I do not know why the Game Developer keeps using the dull colors in hidden object screens and hope they will change it to brightly colored screen. I am looking forward to the next Dorian Grey series. I highly recommend this Game especially if you love to solve murder mysteries and adventure Games.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 29, 12 5:39 PM
An interesting game. Unusual HOS and puzzles. Hint refereshes quite quickly and I used it to navigate around. The Map is not that helpful...use the hint instead. I rarely if ever used strategy quides so I cannot comment on how helpful it is. Skip refreshed quickly on the games which can be easy to tedious. I skipped several.

The worse part of this game was the outrageous amount of dialog. I skipped a lot of it because it just went on and on and on. However, I missed the ending because it was basically set up as dialog...so don't skip that one. The voice overs were amusing. Detective Green was an **** to put it mildly and Owen, the father soounded like he needed to use the restroom through the whole game. LOL. They did get on ones nerves a bit.

The graphics were amazing. I was kind of glad when this one was over, a lot of HOS and mini games, but the story was unlike one I have seen before....and could be quite graphic. I haven't played the bonus game yet, but it appears to be a continuation of the story. I'll have to give this one a 3- out of 5. Hard to put my finger on why...I think it was all the dialog...way too much...it really slowed the game down.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 1, 12 10:50 AM
foxlyn wrote:Truly enjoyable! The graphics are absolutely beautiful - for those few who said they are dark, it must be your settings, I had no such problem. Yes, there is a lot of dialogue which usually I skip through, but this is so well done and more like a mini-movie I found I kept clicking on the characters for more information and because they were great to listen to. The puzzles were fun and the HOS were well done with nice little touches (the mouse and cats made me laugh). Really nice voice overs that brought out the characters (why weren't they listed in the credits?). And the music reminded me of the theme from the tv series Agatha Christie's Poirot. As for the fuss over sparkles/no sparkles, I don't get it and I don't care.

Great game, was lots of fun to play. Thanks Magicindie and Big Fish!

Totally agree - just finished - absolutely superb. It's obvious the developers put a huge amount of thought and love into their game. Unlike other developers that I have simply given up on. Brilliant. I have bought every one of their games. This company is up there with the pachyderms. Thank you so much.

ETA there is a lot of backtracking and lots of dialogue in this game. Normally I wouldn't touch it. But it simply adds to the wonderful atmosphere. Well done developers. Kudos.

Edited on 12/01/2012 at 10:52:12 AM PST

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Dec 3, 12 5:18 PM
I enjoyed the game but DETESTED the amount of UNNECESSARY dialog... after a while all I heard was blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.... used the dialog to refill my coffee, pee the dogs and swap the laundry over.... Somewhere mid game the dialog sounded like a broken record echo (reported in technical difficulties).... the only way to stop it was to exit the game and re-enter.... the third time it occurred, I just skipped the dialog and found out that the dialog really isn't necessary to the game play.... I'm sure the game would have been MUCH shorter without all that annoying yakking...

Never opened the SG, played in medium mode which promised no sparkles but didn't deliver... I HATE when that happens!!

Game glitched at the end when I entered a certain place and the broken record dialog kept repeating itself. I hit skip and it threw me to "THE END"... never did find out what happened, and with so much trouble with this game, I really don't care anymore. I'm going to uninstall and maybe try it again later... maybe the glitch will be fixed....

All that being said, I really enjoyed the story line and recommend you try before you buy.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 9, 12 6:42 AM
this game ia as good as the ones before it, we recommend it to all HOS lovers.-------------------------doug & lisa

shanette1706
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by shanette1706 on Dec 14, 12 12:38 AM
After a slightly disappointing MCF I decided my money should go to other HOG's... and this was one of the best.

What can I say? The game had everything! Loved the characters, especially Owen and Logan. The soundtrack was nice, lovely graphics, and awesome plot. Beats Dorian Gray for me.

I had one thing I wanted to say - "Why is Logan doing nothing except standing there and I'm doing all the solving?" And then, hoho, the bonus chapter just throws my question right back at me! So in the end, no bad news at all

5 stars and more!

Edited on 12/14/2012 at 12:38:27 AM PST

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on Jan 3, 13 3:08 AM
This has to be one of the most visually beautiful games I've ever played. I was captivated by these graphics! Not the least the intermittent rain, which I adore, with sound fx - and the swans - I sat and watched them for ages - which is easy to do with such beautiful music. I LOVE a murder mystery - this game was everything I love. Only two complaints for devs - which both concern the dialogue. Way too much yabber - and not being able to click on past the yabber when it became intolerable. If there was a click-by solution, I could have kept up with the story at my own pace, not had to sit and wait for Owen to stop talking! (I think he's still talking.) As it is, I 'skipped' even the finale, so didn't get to see the bad guy presumably get his just just deserts. (Haven't finished the bonus game yet).
Second, minor complaint - not being able to jump in on the map, if I didn't want to travel back and forth. Other than that - cannot fault this game at all. Absolutely beautiful - stunning, and hats off to the team of developers. Gorgeous work. Can't wait for more in this series.

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 3:10:15 AM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 9, 13 9:20 AM
What an absolutely beautiful game!!! It took me a little over a month to get back to this game, as my work schedule over the Holidays was horrible! Anyway, finally finished both the main and bonus games and really can't make any original comments that haven't already been said - ie: looooong dialogue scenes, although they did add to the story, a bit of hesitation going from scene to scene, and that father - what an annoying voice and personality. As a parent, I understand his concern, but PLEASE tone it down a bit!! All other voices were wonderful. I loved the setting (Victorian times are my favorite), loved the Devs other games, I have them all that I know of, but I think this is my favorite. This game is a total joy to play and even tho I couldn't figure out every mini-game, I would play this game again and again.

feenix

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 26, 13 7:55 PM
I suppose I was not paying attention when I bought this game, but since it's a large file game, it took a while to download, which is common for my system. I actually enjoyed this game very much. The scenes were beautifully done, the dialogue, which a lot of people complained about, I found added to the story and gave my hand a rest from the mouse . After all there is a big skip button if you don't want to hear the dialogue. I admit, it had me wondering if the Detective wasn't in on it !! I remember talking to my screen saying, "why aren't you doing this, or that?" Of course that is when my husband said I needed a break, ahem...Anyways, it isn't a difficult game, I never even looked at my map, since it was only a directional sort of thing. It shows an " ! " whenever there is something to do, but you kind of know that already. I think the map could have been better. Although honestly, I don't think you would have needed to jump around. When the game moved location, you went right along with it, even to Scotland. So basically, everything you need to do, is in the same area you are located in. Puzzles are NOT difficult, no need to skip. I rather enjoyed the one with the ships, where you had to click as fast as you can to get your ship to come in first. Nice change!! I did not have any problems with the games performance, I figured it would last longer than a SE, which it did. I suppose if I sat down and gave it all I had, without skipping dialogue, it may take me under 4 hours, straight through. If I did skip all the dialogue, I think I can easily shave off about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. But like I said, I thought the extra dialogue added much more to the story and the game and I rather enjoyed it. I'm glad I was able to play this game, very nice indeed.

Go to: