Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

Re:Reviews for Building the Great Wall of China

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 27, 12 10:06 PM
Played the demo, enjoyed it, and got the game.

I didn't find the clicking sound as the timer wound down annoying; anyway it would just be a matter of turning down the volume on my computer if it did.

I made it up to the seventh level and I didn't mind the timer. I didn't always manage to get the three stars but I didn't mind replaying the level to try to achieve the goal. To me, the whole point of a time management game is to beat the clock, which is why the only ones that interest me are the builders rather than the dash-type games. I do agree, though, that the game should also have a non-timed option; sometimes you just want to play one of these games for the sake of just building things and find relaxation in that.

Anyone else think that the face of Kong looks like that of Dr. Sanjay Gupta? I laugh every I finish a level and see it.

The game is clicky only if you don't wait until the little guy gets back to his work camp before you click on the next item to be worked. Once you get that rhythm down, it's no problem.

I found the graphics much crisper-looking than the screenshots make them seem. I didn't have any problem with them.

ETA: Played this one with the kidlets and they enjoyed it because both of them know about the Great Wall of China. Of course, I was working the mouse as they were shouting instructions at me...

Edited on 11/29/2012 at 7:38:18 PM PST

JammyKat
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by JammyKat on Nov 27, 12 10:34 PM

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 5:20:30 AM PST

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Nov 27, 12 10:44 PM

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 5:22:28 AM PST

Nohrah
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Nohrah on Nov 27, 12 11:15 PM
I too believe develpers are cutting their own throats by not offering options for the physically disabled. Believe it or Not: There are a lot of us out here. We are no longer shut up in a cupboard and not educated.
Those of you who find no problems with time management games as apposed to those of us who opt for "relax management" games, good on you.
We are just expressing that other developers are able to give us both.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 28, 12 2:20 AM
I am BIG on this type of strategy game a la My Castle for the Princess, Kingdom Chronicles, you name it, I played it. Although chracters kinda of dont exactly look that cute, but its still fun and same concept, but different scenery. Buildings are more or less the same, like lumber, stone, food, gold mine, warehouse etc.

But WHO cares, its totally fun, BRING IT ON!

X'mas is near, and I love games games games!

(PS: Hoping that BFG will offer and its a BUY for me, at 30% is kinda of look and see and wait for x'mas sales)

[Post New]by GoneFishing on Nov 29, 12 1:37 AM
I want to bring to your attention that this game is NOT a click-fest type of game. If you try to collect every resource that drops, you will fail. You cannot preplan actions and preclick resources to be picked up when a worker is available, you have to have one available. You cannot undo your actions. There is no timer for the buildings to know when the next resource is ready, you have to get a feeling for it.

You just need to study the level BEFORE you start, find out what the "choke points" are, what resources you will need and when and then execute the plan. Then you will be a "great leader" and win the three stars.

By the way of example, in the beginning you usually need wood to build your buildings, but later you don't need any wood. Don't bother gather it! It is a waste of time. Sometimes you have collected so much food that it is enough to build the rest of the wall, don't bother to send your worker to collect more food.

You don;t have to solve EVERY problem to be a good manager, you need to solve those problems that MUST be solved. That's the secret of a good manager and this game can be a really good exercise for those who want to learn this skill.

I am half way through the game and I finished each level with plenty of time to spare despite the pesky dragons and that I am not that fast in clicking them away.

I thought that the above could be of help in understanding and enjoying the game.

ebec
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by ebec on Nov 29, 12 3:23 AM
To MarkAlan and Moesart --- I am 66 yrs old and have arthritis in my hands. Pls know this! Not so many yrs ago when I was younger and without health issues I very likely would have "clicked" circles around you. My inability to do so at this time is not a matter of choice, rather one of necessity. I love the time mgmt/strategy games! However, am not able to keep up with the timers. So - I find my "challange" in the strategy. I suggest you open the mind and heart just a bit, and see some things from anothers point of view.

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Nov 29, 12 8:04 PM
Roads of Rome goes to China - I like it !!!

Made it to level 11 or 12 with the demo and only had to repeat one level to get gold.

Only negative I have so far - would be nice to be able to click ahead to queue up actions.

I agree with those that want a relaxed mode - it is nice to not have to worry about playing against the clock when you just want to sit back and just enjoy the game. Would also like an advanced level for when you want more of a challenge then the normal mode.

For those not happy with the music/sounds - I always turn them off so that I can listen to my own music - music and sounds from the game are not important.

BFG - more TMs and less HOGs please !

This game is a definite buy for me

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

[Post New]by elizaew on Nov 29, 12 8:04 PM
I love this type of game and wait breathlessly for each one to come out. Unfortunately, I usually have to wait a long time. So I was thrilled when this showed up. I love the premise of building the Great Wall of China. Great idea! Sadly - the MUSIC is terrible and I am very sound sensitive. I have read some of the other comments, stating that there is a clicky sound that happens if you start to run out of time. I dread the moment that happens to me - so far it hasn't because I've been successful with all the early levels at 3 stars. When that clicky sound starts I will have to turn off my speakers - greatly reducing quality of game play. Graphics are ok - nothing close to the quality of other similar games such as Northern Tales (which is one of the best if not THE best of these games to come out.) Quality of game play is ok - good enough for me to buy. Now - on to the dragon. What the heck were they thinking? Fast clicking is not game play. It's just stupid. And it assumes all players are young people - huge mistake! All game developers are, apparently, young people. They should put some older people on their staff and then they would stop doing these stupid unnecessary things to their games. Bad mini games and impossible pointless clicky things you can't skip. It makes my hand ache. Which makes me unhappy. Games should make me happy not achey. I will give this three stars because I like thie type of game. But I wish I could give higher. I just can't.

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Nov 30, 12 12:39 PM
ebec wrote:To MarkAlan and Moesart --- I am 66 yrs old and have arthritis in my hands. Pls know this! Not so many yrs ago when I was younger and without health issues I very likely would have "clicked" circles around you. My inability to do so at this time is not a matter of choice, rather one of necessity. I love the time mgmt/strategy games! However, am not able to keep up with the timers. So - I find my "challange" in the strategy. I suggest you open the mind and heart just a bit, and see some things from anothers point of view.

I am with you - arthritis in the hands and fingers makes this sort of game with no relaxed option or even no skip option on the dragons impossible for us to play - and so the developers don't get a sale - they aren't good business people to cut themselves out of a group of people who would otherwise buy their product.

[Post New]by miseburb on Nov 30, 12 3:13 PM
I really love these timed games. It's not very fun if there is no challenge. I am stuck on Level 21 with only 2 stars. Can't seem to get three. Now here's the challenge. I just keep working at it until I get it. Love it! Bought it before the free trial was over! Can't wait for more!!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 30, 12 8:55 PM
bertiepuppy wrote:
ebec wrote:To MarkAlan and Moesart --- I am 66 yrs old and have arthritis in my hands. Pls know this! Not so many yrs ago when I was younger and without health issues I very likely would have "clicked" circles around you. My inability to do so at this time is not a matter of choice, rather one of necessity. I love the time mgmt/strategy games! However, am not able to keep up with the timers. So - I find my "challange" in the strategy. I suggest you open the mind and heart just a bit, and see some things from anothers point of view.

I am with you - arthritis in the hands and fingers makes this sort of game with no relaxed option or even no skip option on the dragons impossible for us to play - and so the developers don't get a sale - they aren't good business people to cut themselves out of a group of people who would otherwise buy their product.

relaxed mode is now available, if not in your game manager, then uninstall, and reinstall the game to get the new build

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Nov 30, 12 9:24 PM
i love this game, it is a lot of fun, sort of like a cross between mkftp and ror, so what a fab combination!
big thanks to the devs for listening to the people and adding a relaxed mode!
i actually enjoy trying to beat the timer, and would love to see a level time and/ or time score on completion of the level, rather than just 3 stars. (at our challengers game club we have mini challenges and this game would be awesome with time scores or a record of the time at the end of each level!)
also an ability toclick ahead and chain actions would be a nice addition, however not essential.
devs!

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Nov 30, 12 9:29 PM
Do we still have to click forever to get rid of the dragons or is that skippable?

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 1, 12 2:21 AM
bertiepuppy wrote:Do we still have to click forever to get rid of the dragons or is that skippable?

The new build allows you to defeat the dragon with just a couple of quick clicks, far easier!

In relaxed mode, that really annoying 'ticking' sound has gone and apparently you can still finish a level even after all stars have disappeared. But unlike Northern Tales, which in relaxed mode gives you 3 stars regardless, this game doesn't. So it's still timed.

thecaptain777
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by thecaptain777 on Dec 2, 12 9:06 PM
Plus you don't earn any achievements if you finish in less than gold time, even in relaxed mode. That's not what I call relaxed mode. There should be no timer and you should still earn all the trophies in relaxed mode. Otherwise you are being penalised for being slow. I am not really sure what the developers have done to improve the game for slow-timers.

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 9:08:51 PM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Dec 21, 12 11:04 AM
Some of the building games I really enjoy, and this is one of them. Purchased it right away after playing the demo, and reaching level 12. I love the challenge on some levels... some are more difficult then others, and I really like the harder levels. In my opinion, this game beats some other builder games where there is no challenge at all. I also don't mind repeating a level until I win it. Game does take patience, but I really like that one has to utilize some strategy thinking in order to complete a level.

Edited on 12/21/2012 at 11:06:12 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Dec 27, 12 8:12 PM
I finished the game, playing with the timer. If I couldn't complete a level before the first star went away, I would restart it so that I could figure out how to complete it and earn 3 stars for each level and get all the achievements. So I really got my money's worth, time-wise out of this game.

I really enjoyed the game. It was interesting figuring out in what sequence I needed to gather the supplies and when I didn't need to focus on a particular item. The game had a nice length, and there were matching mini-games periodically during the game. In the later stages the dragon that you had to shoot at didn't appear any more.

sanjos7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by sanjos7 on Dec 29, 12 9:31 AM
I am stuck on level 21 trying to get three stars. Seems impossible on 21, 22, & 23. All strategy seems to fail me on these three levels and cannot get more than two stars. Can anyone help me here? Thanks

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Dec 30, 12 3:17 PM
It's doable, because I managed to get three stars on all of the levels (though many of them I had to keep restarting after I lost the third star).

I loaded the game back on and looked at level 21. If I remember correctly, you need to build the sawmill, clear the blockage to the farmhouse, build the farmhouse, clear the fallen tree to the steelworks ASAP, and get another worker as soon as you can while you are doing those things. You'll need to upgrade the farmhouse, steelworks, and stone mine because you're going to need a lot of those resources. Build the hunter's cotttage too - building the wall eats up food and stones. The sawmill isn't as important because there are a lot of trees around. As you get into the higher levels it becomes more and more important to build the warehouse and upgrade it fully because it increases the amount of resources produced which becomes critical as the clock ticks down.

These are just things I've realized as I've played the higher levels:

- You need to time your additions of new workers. Too soon and you don't have enough resources yet gathered to fully utilize them, too late and you've burned timed with less workers when you could have had more.

- When you get the full complement of workers, keep at least one working on the wall while you are doing other things, and get rid of the stones, snow, sand, etc. that are blocking the foundation as soon as you can. Otherwise that section of the wall will take two actions to complete - clearing the blockage & building the wall - when your time is at a premium at the end.

- Use the speed bonuses when you have as many workers as allowed, & use that bonus to do tasks that are the furthest away from the camp, because moving to and fro wastes time.

- Build the wall from the furthest edges away from the camp in toward the camp - that way when time is tight, your guys don't have to walk far & can do more sections.

- Pay attention. I don't know how many times I cleared a blockage in front of a stairway, then clicked on an item beyond it only to get a red circle & not realize why I couldn't do that action. It was because I had to fix the stairway, too. I lost too many seconds being baffled and then switching over to another area to do something else, instead of realizing that.

- Collect the iron and stone mounds once you build the warehouse if you can, because you get more value for them.

- Make sure you have one of your workers collecting produced supplies at all times.

Go to: