laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

Re:Reviews for Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Collector's Edition

[Post New]by laraly on Dec 14, 12 3:33 AM
I wasn't incredibly impress, like most, playing the demo of this game, surely very good graphics and storytale, I mean, many reviewers compares this game to the nutcrackers, which it was stunning from the start, including the sounds exfs, especially for the snow and the fireplace, so real and confy, the demo for this game it lasted only 40 min., playing in advance mode, no skipping, it ended when the mean wicth captured Isabelle, deceiving her after she gets on the royal coach thinking to go to meet the prince, (I feel something familiar with this episode) anyhow, reading some comments in this forum, the game gets better and better as you get further in the plot, it's interesting and twisted the idea that a prince hires a dective to search "the cinderella" whom lost her shoe, like in the original tale, so this entice me to know more of it, I can tell more once I get the game and keep playing it, and that's as soon as today! Happy gaming to all !

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Dec 14, 12 5:30 AM
This is another must have for the holiday season, Cinderalla and Prince Charming storyline is so familiar yet the game makes it ALL new, ALL fun. great graphics, 3d and fills my screen well. LOVE IT1

Number puzzles, I dont get it, I didnt see the solution as I dont want to cheat this way. Although its a bit of HOS, but its placement of objects rather than finding it. If u move your cursor around the scene, u will get a icon of a cog which indicates there's object to be used, so first look at your inventory, eg, u have a rag, then at the object with that cog, looks like a dirty mirror, used it there and u would likely get it at least 99% correct. So this placement of objects HOS alternative is neat too.

Mini puzzles match 3 was no brainer, unless u r not good at this

WORTH buying!

PS: A piece or advice, sell YOUR crystal slipper and get the $ to buy this game, after all u cant actually wear a crystal slipper (not when its only 1 of a pair) and unless u had your own prince charming, otherwise u may just get more $ from the sale than kept waiting for the right one to come along

PS1: Just a bit of a jive, so dont be angry if u indeed own a REAL crystal slipper as a keepsake and u also have your own prince charming!

Oldgamer99
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Oldgamer99 on Dec 14, 12 6:25 AM
Just want to add one thing. Widescreen in this game means EXACTLY that. Images fill the screen perfectly, and in perfect proportion, not like some other devs who seem to think widescreen means stretching images from one side to another like a bad facelift.

Okay, two things. You simply MUST try this game.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Dec 14, 12 9:31 AM
Very nice game!!! I liked a lot the reversed HO, and the puzzles.l suppose is not necessary the CE game, the story is complete in the main part, but the BC is enjoyable as well and long enough. Thanks Devs. and BFG .
Since I'm more than 60 years old, after I read some bad comments about this game only for children, I'm glad to know still I'm having a child in my heart!
Enjoy the game!

[Post New]by dolores3355 on Dec 14, 12 1:10 PM
I like this game quite a bit, but not too sure of the reverse hidden object scenes. just couldn't seem to get my brain the function in "reverse." i do have about 20 minutes left on the demo, maybe it will be better. personally i hope that reverse hidden object scenes are not a trend of the future. Once in a while ok, but not a whole game of them!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 14, 12 3:38 PM
A wonderful fairy tale game. Elephant just keeps them coming and one of my favorites. Like the graphics and the way the HOG's are used. Voice overs good and it feels like you are in the story too. Puzzles aren't easy but you do have the skip. I found them to be a bit hard and explanation's on some were not very clear, that's one of the things I don't like. It does have a map and has the tasks you need to complete. Music is great and it will be another Christmas gift to me.. Give this 5 out of 5 stars..

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Dec 15, 12 12:22 AM
What a delightful game! Beautiful bright graphics, no dark theme, easy to move around, jumping map although I don't necessarily recommend always doing that - you'll figure out why. Fabulous hint system for when I got distracted and couldn't remember what I was supposed to be doing (oops!). Fun little bonus in the game of taking pics of strange creatures - you just have to remember to do so! I don't think I got them all! Just as good and completely different from finding morphing objects or other "easter eggs". Very interesting puzzles - most different from the usual fare.

I haven't played the bonus game yet so can't comment but just finished the main one and look forward to playing it again. Loved that the HOS scenes were putting things back instead of finding things and they weren't stupid junk piles either - they made sense for the area and time period. I played in casual mode (as I'm always watching a movie or something at the same time) and if you scanned your mouse over the HOS your cursor would indicate that something belonged there. I discovered this about halfway through but found it useful when I was stuck.

Also loved the small details like the skeleton by the ship scratching his leg with his other foot while he waited for me. Hilarious small detail. Will look for others when I play it again. And the best part is I didn't have to find a screwdriver or a crowbar - only to drop it the first time and have to find another later. I'm really getting tired of that kind of thing.

I very highly recommend this game. With all the great features in the main game - the bonus game must be just as fantastic - will update when I've played it tomorrow. Thank you Elephant Games - frankly, as soon as I saw they were the developer I purchased without doing the demo. No need for their games! Loved it, loved it, loved it! Thanks Big Fish!

Edited on 12/15/2012 at 12:24:28 AM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 17, 12 3:13 PM
Being a detective has never been so EXCITING, this game definitely has the WOW factor, and the most incredible CREATURES, I've ever seen .

OMG...this one sure gave me a workout, even with the transportable map, thank heavens for the map, because there was a lot of back and forth, to collect object peices, one at a time, and as much as I enjoyed this one, it did become a little annoying, after a while, this is the only negative, I found though.

As far as the creativity, animation and artwork, well done, LOVED that part of this game, wouldn't want to be a salty dog, on the open sea's, desperate for a smootch..YIKES ...with sirens like that, they make piranhas look good ..lol.
The different magical creatures, were my favorite part, of this game, loved taking photo's, and finding ways to defeat them, now that is entertaining IMHO, this entire game was VERY magical, and I ALWAYS love those elements !

Well I just finished the main game and the bonus, and the bonus, I feel is worth getting the CE for, it had a decent length and enough game play, to justify being called a bonus .
Well done Elephant games, another WONDERFUL and well put together game, along with The Nutcracker, you should be VERY proud, you all earned every bit, with these 2 magical MASTERPEICES just in time for the holiday season .

[Post New]by lilacs10 on Dec 18, 12 2:12 PM
I actually like this game better than Nutcracker. I can see everything clearer, of course, that could be me and my "old" eyes.

I too was disappointed with MCF, I was really looking forward to it. I am glad I played the demo because I would not buy the CE.

Thanks elephant games, I am impressed. It makes a great way to put in a rainy, cold day

NMlost62
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by NMlost62 on Dec 19, 12 11:09 AM
There are a lot of great reviews for this game and that's wonderful, but it just didn't do it for me. Firstly, I found the music not at all suited to a medieval fairy tale ambiance. Secondly, even with all the beautiful graphics and the Great Danes and Borzois, all the constant running back and forth to the palace just drove me crazy. By 23 minutes into the trial, I was done. Sorry Elephant Games, maybe next time.

Edited on 12/19/2012 at 11:11:04 AM PST

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Dec 20, 12 1:59 AM
Phew, I just finished the whole game and bonus chapter! Really enjoyed it all!!

Lovely crystal clear graphics, fun gameplay: I loved taking photos of creatures and find all 30 of them (you get an extra wallpaper for finding them all) and I REALLY LOVED the ''HO scenes'' ; putting stuff back in the scenes are my favorite type of scene!! And this game only had that type so I was overjoyed!
Fun minigames/puzzles as well.

The interactive map was VERY helpful as there was a lot of going back and forth, but with the map you can just click and get there in an instant!

All of the creatures were so very cute and beautifully drawn (except for the prince, kind of ugly LOL, sorry!)

Elephant Games are my favorite developers, only high-quality games from them A fun magical fairytale indeed!

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

This Is NOT Just for Little Girls; Don't Believe the Haters

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Dec 21, 12 10:04 AM

*This review is based on a complete game with bonus on the hardest level.*

I don't review games very often, and I have been highly critical of games in the past. However, this game was delightful, and I can't imagine why others would trash this game.

The music was wonderful, and while I usually mute music, I chose to lower the volume, but listen to this music, as it was lovely.

The HOS, which thankfully appeared only occasionally, used a wonderful reverse strategy that I loved. It made the HOS actually fun - and I hate HOS. Some were easy at first, but they got more challenging as the game progressed, and that was great fun.

This game had lovely scenery and excellent graphics. Hats off to the design team.

The mini-games offered something for everyone. Some were quite easy, and then some were quite challenging. And there were lots of them - a real positive for me.

Sure, the first of the game was a nod to Cinderella, but that storyline was completed quickly as other challenges came into play, and the storyline made a logical evolution to another, more interesting and complicated story that had nothing to do with a Cinderella story.

This game is exactly why I dislike it when people give reviews based only on a demo. If you play only the demo, then you see only a glimpse of the game and get only the Cinderella-type storyline and think that's what the whole game is about. Well, it is not.

The game had an agreeable length; playing three or so hours at a time, the game took me days to complete. And, I loved the bonus chapter.

This is the best interactive map I have ever encountered in more than five years of games with BFG. When you click on an area in the map, it tells you where it is and what objectives remain in that area, and takes you right there. Additionally, if you click on a dwelling, the map turns into a floor plan that shows you all the rooms in that structure plus the objectives remaining in each room - click a room and it takes you there.

This is one of the most fun games I've played on BFG in a long time. I loved the creativity and the challenge.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Dec 21, 12 11:09 AM
Very pretty graphics. Nice fantasy adventure game. Cute story... Cinderella like. Enjoying the play & purchased it before completing the demo. No technical or other glitches experienced.

Edited on 12/21/2012 at 11:10:33 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 24, 12 4:31 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeeewww... is the entire game reverse HOS? I am dismayed. I saved this game for xmas and I am not enchanted.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 27, 12 10:31 AM
I do like Elephant games and this one started out to be fun, however I certainly do not agree with some players who feel it is up there with the Nutcracker. This was an interesting twist on the Cinderella story, but the game began to drone on and on and on. I haven't been able to begin the Bonus game...just not ready.

Cinderella and the Fairy Godmother looked like Barbie dolls and the Prince, well he was just plain dorky. Voice overs were really annoying. I never use strategy guides or walkthroughs if I can help it since I like to try and figure games out. However, this game, despite the jump map and hint system was not a clear cut game and did get frustrating. A lot of running around for one thing here and there. Not real good clarity as to what you were suppose to do next. I used the hint a lot, which refreshed very quickly, to help me navigate around. Map was good, but didn't always show things and places that had things to do and no clues to even think there was something else to do. Shouldn't need the strategy quide and hint as crutches to work a game.

HOS were interesting, but all the same...sort of reverse standards. Mini games were very easy at times and should have been at other times, but the instructions could be incomplete...sometimes I didn't even know what I was really suppose to do and couldn't even get the game to work so I just skpped them, which recharged quickly....good.

Graphics were fantastic, story loooooooooooooong and confusing. I'd say I can only give this a 3- out of 5.....well guess I'l go for the bonus game now.....

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 28, 12 10:49 AM
Review of finished game in hardmode (only reason I bought the CE as it was on sale same price as a SE)

This game should have been named ‘jumble mess of every fairy tale’ as it would have been more accurate. At the beginning I thought it was the tale of Cinderella with a twist but then the plot just got truly bizarre.
Nearly every character in a fairy tale appeared and then throw in some weird animals and that’s your plot. Sometimes this all works out but not here, it was all over the place and I couldn’t make heads nor tails of the whole story.

Especially at the beginning, I felt like they were trying to copy a few other developers which makes no sense as they are the leaders and are the best of what they do, so it ended up being subpar for my taste. Some of the early outdoor graphics reminded me of some older boomzap games, and the princess is called Isabella, then there are some animals that don’t quite make sense so that felt like an ERS game!

After the gorgeous graphics of nutcracker and the 3D stunning graphics of unfinished tales comes the flat weird graphics especially outside at the beginning: The graphics did get better as it went along but didn’t understand why they didn’t stay with their usual top of the line graphics.

The scrolling transporter map sometimes took 3 clicks to get into an area as you had to zoom in (being careful where you place the mouse) on a larger area then it brought up all the rooms. It does give a picture and a list of objectives that have to be completed in the area. It would be great to have a more customisable hardness setting, and on the map to be able to click on and off for map tips.

All three modes of play are their usual and you can change midgame which is good.

14 HOS

For the first time elephant hasn’t done straight list type and here they are all the reverse kind. You get an item in your inventory and you have to place them in the scene. This is my favourite kind of HOS and I actually take time and enjoy them rather than trying to random click my way through some scenes if they are junk pile or just don’t want to do a HOS. I think one or two were junk pile but the rest was more cluttered but some well done. You never repeat any HOS in any elephant game.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 28, 12 10:50 AM
continued

24 Puzzles

I class puzzles as one that has a skip button on them as there were plenty of interactions. They all were very easy to easy maybe a couple of medium hardness in main game. We aren’t stupid so I don’t know why they are now going down the road of going easier and easier, just like everybody else. I get very bored when puzzles are so easy and frankly don’t want to do them. They did have some good twists on some of them so at least those were a bit different to play, but why so easy? There is a skip button if people find a couple to hard.

I also don’t know why there have been loads of fairy tale games from elephant – one after another. I hope that isn’t the future from them as while I don’t mind a fairy tale for a change I liked elephant games as they were neither dark nor super girly and did straightforward tales like MT or surface and they were harder and in places this felt very girly although the other fairy tale games didn’t.
I didn’t like this game at all at the beginning (due to above) but the last 1-2 hrs were the best and the graphics and even the plot seem to be slightly more focused again.

CE extras and bonus

I only bought the CE as it was on sale and same price as a SE or I would have just stuck with the SE. Apart from the usual screensaver, wallpaper, music (which does nothing for me) there is only 30 photos * that you take of creatures throughout the game and bonus.* While this is a bit different on that alone isn’t enough for me and it needed either achievements or collectables. These photos were so obvious, every animal or creature you see take a photo, they weren’t hidden or small or harder to find. In fact your curser turns into a camera on something you can take a picture of, and that’s on hardcore! That actually through me off as once I thought I had the camera when I was trying to take a picture at the beginning and when it didn’t work I thought you couldn’t take a picture or I was trying to click on them zoomed in or you needed to click on them twice.

TBC

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 28, 12 10:51 AM
continued

Bonus
(slight spoiler as to plot)

It was all in old areas except for one scene.

The good thing was that the plot had more focus and it was actually quite a good length – it was over 1h 15mins and that wasn’t with the slider puzzle. So how long it takes you to do them, and I felt it was a harder one (thankfully!) add that time on. As usual the plot is completely finished in main game and tied up. It was a bit obvious and a bit rinse and repeat aspect of main game for me to like the plot but gameplay was good. (but seriously *I have to rescue the prince and Isabella again?!*)

7 puzzles

I did find the family tree to be completely illogical as it’s the opposite of what you normally would do.

5 HOS (all reverse kind)

Yes it’s me, an avid elephant fan – my favourite developers and I haven’t been invaded by aliens -

While this has a good length for a bonus and some kind of collectable, I would have given it 4 stars for a CE and a recommendation if it had decent plot and normal graphics. But as I felt the shortcomings of this game really added up I can’t recommend the CE as it’s double the price and as well as the extras (which this doesn’t really have all the extras they usually do) it also has to have decent or logical plot and everything else for me to recommend a CE.

I will recommend the SE as the gameplay was OK and better at the end, but that would only get 3-4 stars from me.

Edited on 12/28/2012 at 11:01:59 AM PST

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Dec 30, 12 4:36 AM
bellissima favola e bellissimo gioco....molto coinvolgente bellissimi gli hos e gradevolissima la grafica e le animazioni.molto molto bello l'utilizzo di ermine e carina l'idea di un gioco fantasioso che ben si sposa con il periodo natalizio....consiglio sicuramente l'acquisto....molto molto bello...

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Dec 30, 12 2:59 PM
Once agian, as always-LOVED the game & the length. Elephant games NEVER fail me & my Hidden Object GAMING EXPERIENCE. Great graphics, great story....need I say more?

Go to: