CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Missing: Island of Lost Ships

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jan 4, 13 5:08 PM
Guess I'm in the minority here. I didn't care for this one too much. The first Missing game was ok, but this one just missed it. Right off the bat the little Herbert guy made me nuts. Pretty graphics and then they dump this cartoonish guy into it. Not for me. The gameplay was ok; easy enough mini-games, but kinda slow and too much back and forth. The map did not jump for me so I had to trek all over the place. Not really intrugued by the story either and don't care where ol' Robert is.

Not a buy for me.
CelticCoco

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 4, 13 6:32 PM
A surprising game. Humorous,and light heated. Worth a look. What you got to lose? It's a free samplee

Kamille_59
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Kamille_59 on Jan 8, 13 7:15 AM
kdubs wrote:After such mixed reviews, I was pleasantly surprised by this game!

This was my case, too: I was on the verge of giving it up, but luckily I tried and it was fantastic! Especially the cute humor

Edited on 01/08/2013 at 7:15:47 AM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 11, 13 3:57 PM
floating cursor, can't lock the item bar, no interactive map, waaay to much yap!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 25, 13 7:41 AM
Hmmmm, certainly thought I already left a review for this, but apparently not since I can't find it. I had started this game and then left it after the demo. Purchased it on a sale since BF had nothing else to offer at the time.

Either I had turned off the voice overs (not unusual for me) or it didn't have any, just dialog. Story was OK, but this game was not exactly a gripper. HOS seemed quite easy and clear and objects were a good size. Mini games were a nightmare and I skipped all but a few. Instructions were not very clear and the games were tedious and involved...don't have patience for those. A lot of HOS though.

Animations were "stiff", look as if they had a stick up the you know what. A number of cutscenes.

Big positives were the quick charging skip and hint and the map was a jump map and great except sometimes it just ended and you had to figure out a new way to go before it kicked in again. Jump map was indeed needed since this game was all over the place and I cannot even imagine being able to play it without one.

As I said before, this game did not blow me away so I give a 3- out of 5.

Edited on 01/25/2013 at 7:43:58 AM PST

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Feb 25, 13 12:50 PM
Finished the game. It's a pretty good game if you don't expect stellar graphics, animation, or extras of any sort. Although this game was largely forgettable because it's nothing we haven't seen a thousand times before, it was still worth playing. The HOS were typical and the mini-games were not difficult. The graphics looked quite grainy on my screen but were acceptable for a SE. The music was very repetitive and "canned" - I can only take so much of that so I turned it off. The one thing I really disliked was the HUGE cursor - it was ridiculous.

Edited on 02/25/2013 at 12:50:55 PM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Mar 2, 13 12:38 PM
Well I have to say for an SE, it was well worth the money, it was a pretty long game, for me anyway.
It wasn't one of those games that had the wow factor, but for what it was, I did enjoy playing it, and I liked the look, graphics style of Herbert the Ferryman, and the other characters, curious indeed .
I didn't realize that the map was a jump map..DUH , until I read it in a post, OMG that would of really helped, no wonder I went through 10 pairs of sneakers
So now that I know that, I won't complain about, to much to and fro..lol.
Note: Remember this small detail, next time I play this game , not knowing the map was a jump map, also added to the challenge, my memory is horrible, so with all of the back tracking, trying to remember were the items went, well you get my drift, I completed the game without ever using the map ( had to soak my feet in a foot bath after that )..lol.

I did enjoy the H0 scenes, but for future games, maybe the developers could make them look more appealing, they looked pretty drab IMHO, compared to most games. That is just a small quibble though, I still liked the game, but would have liked to see more color, in the game.
The puzzles were ok, nothing new or exciting, just your basic puzzles, ball maze etc.

I am glad I used a credit on this one though, it gave quit a few hours of game play.
It didn't blow my socks off, but was well worth the credit used, demo for yourself and see .

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 18, 13 12:06 AM
I'm surprised that I enjoyed this game as much as I did, music was on a loop but quite pleasant, some light humor, good enough graphics and a good mixture if mini games and a lot of HOGS [I like em!]..
Gameplay was smooth with just a little cursor slip. Objects were not too hard to find but not too easy either. Map was fine as it had something needed here [ ! ] and I could jump to where I needed to go... ending ok also
On a scale of 5 I'll give this one & 3/4
I liked it

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 29, 13 4:38 AM
Poor Visuals Ruin This One

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The visuals in this game detract from an otherwise okay game. It is hard to believe this is a relatively recent release (Dec 2012), because the graphics have the resolution that could be found in the better games of 2009 or even earlier. As well, the HO scenes are static, as are most of the locations.

Where the effort has gone in this game is clearly in the creation of quirky characters, whose animation and voiceovers are quite good. There are, in fact, a lot of characters to meet and interact with, and they are presented with a light hearted humour that is refreshing.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Well, that is complicated. Our friend Robert has made us promise to help if we don’t hear from him soon, so we set sail on the Atlantic to rescue him. But instead we end up in a strange place peopled by quite unusual people whose conversations can only be taken tongue in cheek.

We are now on the wrong side of some portal, although Robert is here, so that’s one thing, but we have no way of knowing how we will get back home. All of this, and a legend about a powerful artefact makes for some serious sleuthing.

MAKING PROGRESS
Quirky characters present you with odd quests, strange puzzles and many HO scenes. HO puzzles are interactive list and silhouettes. The interactive jump map is confusing, but necessary as the gameplay jumps around all over the place. Hint is directional and quick to refill. There is a handy journal. And there are many mysterious modes of transport.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I couldn’t past the poor graphics with this one. True, after a while you no longer notice the stretching to fit widescreen, or the graininess of the images, but combined with still, lifeless scenes, and so many of them, it stops being fun.

If you are HO addicted, or are using a small screen, this game might well take your fancy, because the characters are appealing, but I can’t really recommend it.

I don’t recommend this game!

Edited on 08/29/2013 at 4:40:19 AM PST

Finished the trail version of The Missing: Island of Lost Ships

[Post New]by disgruntled_girl on Aug 31, 13 6:57 PM
Man that's some bad voice acting. Also the run around is a bit much this time in comparison to others. The animations are glitchy and often the character would disappear while speaking to me. The conversation would be keep going but they would flicker in and out of existence. The background remained fine.
still it's good enough to recommend but I won't be buying it.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Jan 7, 14 2:47 AM
Am picking this game up as a DD. I was immediately struck by the voice acting, which I like - I suspect that will be a make or break for many - some will like it and pick It out as special, while others may find it irritating. I like it. I think this game has a completely different look and feel than so many others. The voicing pulled me right in and made me want it. As for the story being the same, heck, almost every one of these games is the same. But I like the look and feel of this one.

I have to admit I don't understand that others find it grainy. I've seen grainy, and this (to me at least) isn't it. The objects are clear in the HO's to my eyes.

I am finding this game a touch more challenging than some. All good.

As usual, I have to get on my soapbox and complain about clicking penalties. I prefer just to roam at will without such things. But it isn't too bad here.

Off to buy.

Go to: