Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 2, 13 7:39 AM
I have just finished the game, and oh... what a beautiful game it was.

I very much loved the main game, especially when I went into the pictures.

I also very much liked the bonus game, which took me about 1 1/2 hours. I liked the story and the character I played, and everything about it. And oh... those HOS in the bonus game where something else.

Thank you, developers, for this most wonderful game. Even though I didn't manage to do all the puzzles, I did manage to do quite a few, and was able to do all the mini games as well. I was, in fact, so engrossed in the story, that I didn't notice that there were so many puzzles and so few HOS.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 2, 13 8:14 PM
I just wanted to add a thank you to the developers for making the wallpapers available when the game begins. It makes no sense to put up cool wallpapers AFTER we have finished playing the game. Then it's only a memory! Maybe a good memory, but what the heck! I want the wallpaper to be the first thing I see when I turn my computer on, and change them as I play different games. Now THAT makes sense. Thank you.

quynne77
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by quynne77 on Jan 3, 13 6:48 AM
This is a continuation of the previous Nightmare Realm however I did not find it as easy or as logical to play. However, I found the graphics and cut scenes to be well done and beautiful - I do like this part of a game whereas I am aware that others do not - too bad a developer has not thought to offer to meet these needs as part of the game selection - where the player can choose how to play the game via options for example the ability to choose (my choices are bracketted) lots of hogs (bleh); few hogs ( ); adventure only (:thumbup ; lots of puzzles (:thumbup ; lots of cut scenes (:thumbup ; minimal cut scenes (:thumbdown ; etc. I know this involves a lot of extra work but the negative reviews that result for what I see as a minor issue may make that effort pay off dollar wise.

I don't as a rule use the strategy guide unless I am really stuck but I did with this game. I like adventure games but I also like them to be intuitive and some of the "tools needed" were not in the usual places and if I had not consulted the SG I would have been totally stalled.

I did have game issues wrt to access violation but contrary to Moderator advice to update drivers etc the game began working again after a couple of days of trying without any kind of action on my part - of course this meant I missed the sale as I was not prepared to buy a game I could not play without issues. I may still buy this game at a later date or on a sale just to have the continuation however I do not feel compelled to purchase now. I have read the developers thread and appreciate their contribution and why they have developed the game in the way it has been produced. Unfortunately, no game is going to please everyone.

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 4:38:56 PM PST

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Jan 5, 13 3:54 PM
Just I finished the game and the bonus, and I really enjoyed it!!!
With all respect with Gingergal (who is one of my favorite reviewers), I disagree about the color no good, there are contrasts, and the theme, yes, is a little disturbing because there are children involved. (No offense Ginger, the tastes are differents!)
But I think is a game and fiction, and I don't suppose it is promoting the violence, another reviewer said so, on the contrary the good always is more powerful . Of course, this is my HUMBLE opinion.
I loved both games, and I think really is the end of the serie.
By the way, somebody found all the origamis? I could only find 28 out of 36, I guess sometime, I'll play again it with more care to look for them.
Thank you BF, and to the DEVS., please keep your amazing job !

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 6, 13 3:06 AM
minesita wrote:By the way, somebody found all the origamis? I could only find 28 out of 36, I guess sometime, I'll play again it with more care to look for them.
Thank you BF, and to the DEVS., please keep your amazing job !

I found all the origamis, Minesita. I made sure to check each location where I knew each set of origamis were to be sure I had them all before moving on to the next areas.

I very much enjoyed playing the bonus game. Loved the difference between that one and the main story. And all those new places to visit.

I didn't find either the main nor the bonus game depressing, neither in colour nor in the stories. What is the most important thing for me in a game are the graphics/colours and the gameplay. And both were first class in this game. Love it unconditionally.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jan 7, 13 7:51 AM
Wow - what an amazing game! The creativity was stellar and I loved the artwork, especially the magical settings. This game was very well-thought out and one of the best I've played since Nightmares from the Deep. Absolutely worth the CE price. GREAT job, devs!

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Jan 7, 13 8:28 PM
Thank you Valdy for your answer , definitely I must to play again in order to find all the origamis and to understand better the idea to "liberate" the father's soul, not his body and so on...
I completely agree with you the graphics and colors in both games are first class, and you wrote such nice reviews explaining the good quality of the HOS!!! (I can't express myself properly in English !)
Thank you again to be one of the first to inform about the games, and have a healthy and joyful 2013 !
M

[Post New]by jimweinberg on Jan 11, 13 2:34 PM
I just finished the base game. Not a bad little game all in all. BUT, the developers need to learn what a skip function is for their cut scenes. They may be in love with their animation, but it's a bit too long and way too boring. Other than that, it was an enjoyable game to play. Will probably try some of the others in this series.

Review for Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hagatha44 on Jan 12, 13 5:26 PM
AWESOME!! Thank you!!

5 ++++++.... stars!!!

Edited on 01/12/2013 at 5:26:41 PM PST

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Jan 19, 13 2:29 PM
Played the entire game today in one session. Rarely do I do that. Was absolutely enthralled with this game. One of my favorites to be sure.

Really enjoyed the hidden object scenes, especially the ones in the Bonus. The main game was wrapped up very nicely, but the Bonus was worth playing to add a bit of history to the story. Very happy that I got the CE.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 23, 13 5:41 PM
I played the first game "Nightmare Realm" and really liked it alot. It was a while back though, but I remember pretty much how it went and thought this one would be similar.

SPOILER: I quickly became NOT a fan once I had to jump through a portal to enter a realm, then jump through another to get to a different "world" and it just did not hit the happy button for me. I think if I didn't have to jump through the pictures to get to the other worlds, then this game would have been a lot better for ME.

Other than that, it's a good concept, graphics are great, I also play on a 23" HD monitor and the screen fits beautifully without having to adjust anything. Not using the SG, just out of preference, but I have to say I am not crazy about what I would normally have as a diary. That was just ... um, idiotic to me. I'm all about trying new things, and trying to make stuff better, but if it's not broke, don't fix it. Cards? and I quote "like they are reading my mind". Too over the top for me.

Some of the puzzles were easy enough, yet others made me wonder, what the heck were they thinking when they came up with this idea??? I don't know. Oh and I could go forever and a day, if I don't have to see another origami crane in my lifetime. How many games have this crane?? Not to mention having to find all the other origami throughout the game.

If you don't mind jumping through hoops, at almost every turn, and searching for origami items that, in some cases, don't even resemble origami, THEN this is the game for you (um...not me, personally)

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 28, 13 7:16 AM
I just finished this game. I own the first Nightmare game and I remember enjoying it, however this one is a mess. I feel I kind of got duped by the demo since it started out being interesting and fun. I don't usually buy CEs but since that is all BF seems to be offering lately, I thought I would give this a try just to have something new to play.

The mini games were a confusing nightmare with extreamly limited instructions. Some puzzles didn't even have a skip, you just had to sit and slowly figure them out. Frustration plus! The skip on the mini games did charge somewhat quickly. The hint was basically useless and frustrating as was what I guess was suppose to be a journal on the map page. It was almost as if this game was trying to direct you to use the Strategy Guide at every step which I won't do unless I have no other choice. There were only about 3 or 4 interactive HOS which carried an element of frustration too.

I don't remember the first game being such a fantasy...but it has been awhile since I played it. I am terribly disappointed and really feel I wasted my money on this one.

I don't like feeling I have to work so hard at a game and always feel a level of frustration as I play. This game did not move smoothly, it was all over the place and the map kept indicating there were things to do in other areas when there was not.

Story was dumb and didn't seem to really have a point and then ending was even worse. The bonus game was a prequeal to this story, but it was even more ridiculous and frustrating; I didn't even finish it....I'd had enough.

The graphics and animations were fantastic. The music and voiceovers were also good...but that was all that was good about this game. I certainly would not waste money on the CE....if you want to buy, I suggest waiting for the SE. I give this a 1.5 out of 5.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Feb 6, 13 12:19 AM
I LOVED this game!! Very beautiful and fun - excellent HO scenes with a lot of interactive elements

And collectables (origamis) always fun to find! The bonus game was very good too.

Fantastic game

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Feb 26, 13 11:21 AM
This game sets a new standard for weirdness. Thought I was back in the 60's for a minute there. Little too dark in tone for my taste, but you may disagree. Try for yourself.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Mar 17, 13 7:48 AM
yes really enjoyed collecting the organmis...................

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Mar 17, 13 8:56 AM
this game was good, we give it a 3 out of 5 stars...........doug & lisa............

Go to: