Hello from developers!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Re:Hello from developers!

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 1:16 AM
Hi SirMitch!

Unfortunately, I cannot discuss tech-related topics here - that's prerogative of BFG. But I'm sure if you contact the customer support service they will do their utmost to help you start playing.
Feel free to come in and drop a line on your impressions of the game when you succeed to play it!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 1:21 AM
Hi poppy45!

It's always a pleasure to meet the whole series follower! We'll definitely pay maximum attention to the puzzles hint/skip system while testing our next games - thanks for pointing that out!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 1:42 AM
Hi BFFirefly!

Thanks for sharing your impressions with us! I'm happy you have our game running smooth at your side

And thanks for comparing us to Myst and 7th Guest series! You've seen me through: in fact, I also started off my gaming experience with old adventure titles from Lucas Arts, Sierra and so on I was a huge fan of this genre so your remark is very valuable! But those players who like HOGs should not worry too: our team is trying to take the best from both these worlds we adore It's always great to have people with different points of view within the team who, on the other side, stays on the same page. I call this "synergetic cauldron": the sum of all the ideas we put inside is always much greater than trying to make your own potion I really do hope it works!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 1:53 AM
Hi DragonLadyOz!

Thanks! You've nearly made us feel shy The transition between two NR installments was our concern too so I'm very happy to hear it ran smooth for you
And we'll definitely try to find a happy medium for HOS/puzzles in our future titles!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 2:19 AM
Hi Persistent_Cat!

Thanks for providing us a detailed feedback! It's always good to hear such tiny things like inventory lock worked well for somebody And I'm happy you liked the map; as I've told before, this was one of our major concern as we've merged a map with the diary and collectibles this time. We were afraid that people will come in once, see this info avalanche, close it and never come back to the map thus missing all the good opportunities it provides. As for switching difficulty level mid-game: we also thought about this possibility but unfortunately it was too late It brought us so many tech problems so we had to hold it off until our future releases. Still, it's on our to-do list

Speaking about your fear of spiders - I can easily understand you. I also have a fear - snakes; so you can imagine how I felt while we were making scenes with fire snake! Maybe you'll feel a bit better when I tell you that one of our girl artists has the very same arachnophobia! She always prevents us from drawing too much spiders as she doesn't want to even hear about them. I'd lie you if I tell we have none in our game but not many - that's for sure. I guess the first HOS was the only one with a spider; other ones should be okay. My only warning is the post office (you'll know the place when you're there) - you better ask your husband again to get rid of the spider but that is very easy - like simple using of one inventory item from the same scene. After all, that's why we need our loving ones - it's always good to feel they're always on our side!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 2, 13 2:48 AM
What a happy New Year to get a sequel to a game in my top 5 favorites, maybe most Impressive game in my library over 500. Then to pop in here and see the dev Vlad enjoying the chat. I was about to start the bonus chapter of NRITE (NR2?) and came first to see how ratings were going. I could go on and on pages with my take starting with....

When I first played NR, the standard version I was so blown away by the creativity, imagination, "magic", illustrations, animations. I am story oriented and what an original concept for one, the profound transition at age 7 into the world of reality. Wondered if one on the team was a psychologist in child development. The movement from fantasy to reality is not an easy topic for a game, much less if we survived it. What? No Santa? Easter Bunny? no more figuring out how sleigh and deer fly through the sky? Balloon busted, magic gone out of our lives. Then if enough creative thinking and imagination is left after taught out of us by uh...extractors...who? parent, teacher, peers, hey grow up etc face the real world, just maybe talent is developed against many odds. The stuff of inventors who don't even know from where ideas are born to spark something into reality.

That in mind, I took both games as rather allegorical, mind of a child, mind of a parent, of all the characters. OK, think you are creating a project, alone or with a team and someone steals it or the energy. Wait for another inspiration. My point being, we can still encounter things that carry a WOW punch, mystical, magical feeling like seeing the hung stockings full in the morning. Grab all that mist and form it into a book, movie, game...incredible.

My highest regards for artists/illustrators who can translate words through the eyes of a child, and I'm very big on fantasy, fairy tales. Now the story develops through the mind of a mother concurrent, so many dynamics here. How seamless this creative team put it all together it flowed like silk, light hearted fun along with mourning, and how to help a child through a grief process while being there too, parallel universes. Whew, am I getting too heavy?? It's JUST a game. No, IMO a masterful work of art. I've work with many creative teams, art by committe, films, dubbing studios, story holes when scenes get nixed, tighten up we're over budget yada yada to know a winner when I see one.

If I talked you to death, hit scroll because I didn't even get to topic here NR2, cont

AussieMoo
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by AussieMoo on Jan 2, 13 2:52 AM
This is slightly awesome - being able to chat with everyone with the developer.
I loved this game, staying up till all hours & just fascinated with the story & the spectacular artwork. A good story will always draw me in, no matter what.

The only minus for me was I thought it ended a little suddenly. (Part of that may be that I didn't want it to end though, too!)

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 2, 13 3:25 AM
That was an overview of first installment NR. I had read that the Bonus Chapter took on a different, or extended ending so later bought the CE and own both. Many other new games got in the way so when I saw the sequel was on BF week I dropped Nutcracker to play the whole CE to refresh, get up to speed. Enjoyed it more the second time then to the end. But, I also read that this one was mostly Adv/Puz and I'm an old hogger. These hybrids are hard on most of us who came into games from different schools, never was a point and clicker, my first were MCF Huntsville and Prime Suspects. Hooked, and enjoy the lite relief between HOS, word games, picture puzzles etc. Then later MCF turned to the dark side, brain bashing puzzles, at least they finally took out the timers!!

I trialed the CE and bought it anyway, play casual, keep the sparkles and hints going if not a jump map, I get lost easily. I come to be entertained or wowwed by artistry, lots of color late night after another day of problem solving to give the old brain a rest. At 76 loss of short term memory, stamina to play any game in one sitting. The SGs are helpful to review and remember where I dozed off I LOVED the IHOS and will stare at a scene long enough to find everything, rarely a hint, never a click penalty. I have good visual perception left. So these hybrid games can't please everyone for sure. Put a Skip on HOS if demanded but don't take out my most fun parts. So, 2 of the high points were left out of NRITE, equal IHOS and the fabulous characters, animated fantastical machines from the child's mind. But it made sense that they were gone but now POV college age. Symbols are powerful, more than words or dialog, so the dreams of that former world were gone. Her diary was so revealing, how she saw things maturing (kudos to artist on that one) and her values, empathy etc. Beautiful.

So no, I did not enjoy this one like the first, it was a struggle but I have the same appreciation for the product maturing. I left twice to forum so stuck on the liquid measure, no reset, no skip after that and picture swaps. Turned out my error, could not see arrows to get round tile to move and drop til I tilted laptop screen enhancing the other arrows with no Skip before. Another one had no skip til I switched ratio from wide, that line was off the top of screen and reappeared.

I'd still give 5*s for what it is as a package even though disappointing, best IHOS of any game and silly characters.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 2, 13 3:53 AM
Oh yes, my wallpaper is from first game, Crazy Factory guy saying OUT Out Out NO VISITORS! I'm the only one who can be here!!. Very funny for my private laptop with nothing but MY games, do not touch my treasure trove. I rarely use wallpapers, too busy with so many game icons (the not played yet or finished)

Now, back to play the bonus and find all those HOS mentioned in reviews. That is as much thinking energy I care to expend on entertainment, make me feel smart working them out. But most puzzles, hold up the flow of story for me, lose pacing, tension, forget what I was doing when so "rudely interrupted' with a brain drain. Why a timer on skip at all?? As for SG help, if I see 1 or 2 whole lines of numbers and letters x3 R, L2, 43829 forget it, to long to write notes and more than 4 numbers leave my brain the minute I resume game. Huh? What did that say? And worst are random clicks keeping in order to light something. Not much logic.

That's my cons but pros beats all of my petty disappointments.

btw I didn't get the mention of the uncle passing. Did I miss something further on or a story hole? And executing someone already dead...I pondered that one. So whose dream was I in then, or did I just try to understand a Fellini flick LOL.

re lip sync, doesn't bother me because the original may not be in English like a dubbed foreign movie with or without subtitles. What I don't like is speed reading, I'm slow or trying to watch a cut scene and miss plot points in some games. I never understand players who skip all cuts and dialogue in a story driven game then complain it's boring or didn't understand. Same with rushing past original artful scenes. I don't rollerskate through art museums with one eye on the Exit.
Different strokes?

Wishing you much properity in the New Year with new endeavors. Thanks for being here and checking us out. I'll be back to buy your next game, even if it isn't my kind of game.

Edited on 01/02/2013 at 3:57:16 AM PST

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Jan 2, 13 6:46 AM
I have just completed the game and I absolutely loved it. The puzzles for me were just challenging enough, but most of all the art work was amazing, and as a lot of people have said I loved the story line.

I did play the first one but enjoyed this one a lot lot more.

Origami is just fascinating and magical to me and you even used it in the credits.

Thank you

Linda

[Post New]by ravenmad1992 on Jan 2, 13 10:24 AM
Well Vlad I have to say I have really enjoyed the other games your company has put out...This game I think I may have enjoyed more if there were not soooooooo many glitches and bugs in it...I have had to uninstall and reinstall 6 times now and ran into another glitch in the bonus game....The only thing that keeps me going back to the game is my OCD..lol I can not leave things unfinished....The game is very slow and laggy...Other then the glitches the game is wonderful...I love that there were more puzzles then HOG scenes and the graphics and colors are amazing but I would encourage you guys to test the game better before putting it out on the market...I would rather wait another 2 weeks to get the game with no glitches then to get the game quicker and have all these problems...I am sure the others would agree with that as well...Thank you for coming here and asking our opinions!!

Rave

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jan 2, 13 10:47 AM
I think it's important to remember that this is a game, not a movie. There needs to be game elements and some element of a challenge. I imagine it must be difficult to create a good balance but puzzles and searching need to be in these games to make them fun and attractive to players.

The attention to detail in this game is lovely. I noticed it in the first one as well. Remember the scene by the large, fruit-bearing tree with the witch doctor? If you moved your mouse over the windchimes, they would sway and chime. Same in this game. It's a small thing but really sets it apart from other games.

Vlad, thank you for explaining the work/cost that goes into voice-overs. If we want games of this quality at this price point, we have to sacrifice a little.

Spasibo!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 2, 13 2:16 PM
I finished the game and loved everything about it. I even forgot that there were too many puzzles and not enough HOS, that's how engrossed I was in this game.

I was sad when it ended, which hardly ever happens. Usually, I am glad when I am done with a game. And this is one of the very few games I even consider replaying at a later date. One of the top most wonderful games I have ever played.

A big "thank you" to you, Vlad, and your team.

[Post New]by ceruleanmoon on Jan 2, 13 9:45 PM
Hello Vlad and happiest of new years to you. I am so pleasantly surprised and pleased that you dropped by the forum to talk to the players. It looks like you and your team have quite a few fans, and deservedly so. I just finished the entire game, including bonus chapter, and my normally well-stocked vocabulary seems to have run out of superlatives. I just can’t tell you how awed and amazed I was by the quality of this game, especially the artwork and storytelling. I didn’t even want to leave the dryad’s world it was so beautiful. Your attention to detail was unsurpassed and I enjoyed looking at every corner of every scene. I even loved the Credits! Seriously, I bet not many of your gamers let them roll all the way through, but I wanted to read every name on the list and say a mental thank you to all. The creatures that inhabited these worlds were a bit fantasy, a bit steam-punk, and a bit Doctor Who, but all were brilliant. My three personal favorites were the toaster dog, the archive librarian and the post office painter (hope I’m not revealing too much here). I’ve read the previous comments and your responses so I know that there is no way a game can be everything to everybody. I enjoy playing the hardcore mode on most games and don’t want sparkles or hints to help me out. But I understand that other players want to be able to skip hard puzzles and to jump from one place to another. (I can’t help it, but that seems like cheating to me!) Maybe an idea to consider would be a difficulty “slider,” like for volume of music and voices in options, that would allow adjustment on things like hint refill, skipping, jumping, hand-holding clues, etc. That way people could choose the way they want to play the game. It would also allow for increasing difficulty on replay as well as dialing it back a bit if it’s too hard in the middle of the game. I thoroughly enjoyed the interactiveness of the hidden object scenes and thought your minimalist approach was spot on. Perfect! Genius! Especially loved the bonus game HOS. All in all, it was one of the best games I’ve played in quite some time. It reminded me a bit of Riven and Myst, as some posters have already said, but it also put me in mind of the Drawn series (at least the first one). I had no glitches during my gameplay, except for perhaps one puzzling thing that happened in my map (which, by the way, was excellent!). I had filled up an origami card and went to read the story about the character when I noticed an exclamation point on a particular area, but upon going back to that point, there was nothing to do. (What the !) This is such a minor issue that it isn’t even worth mentioning, but I thought I’d throw in one little tiny flaw so people wouldn’t think I was on the payroll. Thank you again SO much for the game but also for coming here to the forum to speak with us. It means a lot to me, and I know it is important to a lot of the other fishies as well.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 3, 13 4:09 AM
Hi puzzledone!

The only thing I can say is - WOW! We really did want to accumulate some opinions to help us digging deeper into players' expectations but we never thought we could get such detailed analysis... Hats off to you and thank you for being around!

I'm not even sure from where should I start

You were absolutely right saying this game feels more mature; that's what we actually wanted it to be. You know, we're not psychologists in child development as you supposed but many of us have their all families, kids and so on. And while our kids our growing we are doing this as well. It's just like the perception of the world around us is changing; here come new fears and new joys. At some moment we thought it would be interesting to see Emily has grown up too. How has her world changed? Does she dream about something else? Can she still has an imaginary friends? Is her imagination still as powerful as it used to be? Are the family bonds still tight? What will we see if we look at all of this with the eyes of her mother?

Wel, actually many questions aroused when we had started thinking this way. We wanted to bring something new; the worst thing could happen is that we just make another clone of NR. It could be successful but still it definitely would not a step forward for our team. That was when we came up with the whole new character - Philip. Another family, another childhood and very different destiny. We thought it could be interesting to juxtapose these two kids and follow them all the way to figure out what made them so different. Was it parental love? Or a destiny? Or something else? I may sound a bit babelized but I hope you'll get the point

As for uncle Peter - I know I will sound terrible but we all were happy get rid of him from the beginning. When we play NR1 now the only character that still bugs us is Peter. He end up being so lame and worthless with his "go ahead and save your daughter while I find a way to make this terrible headache go away" that we still feel a bit uncomfortable for him So we just thought it would be better to everybody if he's not onboard during this journey.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 3, 13 4:15 AM
Speaking of David's execution - well, SPOILER ALERT!
We always thought that Extractors steal children to gather their vital creative energy and then let them go back to the real world. But who are the Extractors themselves? From where do come the new ones? So we suppose that Extractors are the souls of tragically deceased grown-ups that were ''extracted'' just the moment before their death. That's why David never can go back to reality to stay with his loving family for good. So when Kathleen is trying to save David it's more like a quest to free his soul that is not so immortal in the Nightmare Realm. I know this a one tricky moment but that is how we initially saw it from our side.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 3, 13 4:30 AM
Hi AussieMoo!

Thank you for your kind words! We're happy the story has grasped you tight - that was how we intended it to be! Speaking of sudden end - personally I as player think it's not that bad in case you're not left alone with bunch of unanswered questions; that's when I feel cheated. But the more common situation for me when I play HOPA is when I think "oh man, I wish it already end". Of course, I doesn't happen in great games, but many of them just spitting out HOG-scenes one by one closer to the end so I feel a bit disappointed. I guess it's a real success for developer to end the game just the moment before player thinks it's already enough And I also hope we didn't overdo this in NRITE.

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 4:31:40 AM PST

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 3, 13 4:38 AM
Hi Hapless!

We're really glad you enjoyed playing NRITE - thank you for being with us since NR1! And yes - the origami is kind of our schtick Now I can hardly believe we nearly get rid of them on the early stages of NRITE development; it's a big success we've followed the voice of reason and just let them stay

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 3, 13 4:58 AM
Hi ravenmad1992!

I'm sorry to hear you've encountered problems while playing our game Unfortunately, I cannot discuss specific tech-related issues here (as I've told before, that's something BFG want to settle on their own and we have a great respect to their decision) but I guess I can drop a line on this here. From some comments I can see that our game is not that tech-perfect as we wanted it to be (which is definitely very sad ). But it's very hard to make this game run perfectly under every PC configuration; you can see from the game size (nearly 2GB ) that it's packed with tons of stuff which can cause some problems on specific machines. And it's not like we were going to release the game quicker no matter how much raw it is just to make it on time. I can tell you a bit more: we were going to release NRITE before Christmas which is considered the perfect marketing time. However, it was decided to postpone the game release on two weeks just to polish it until it shines no matter the missing opportunities. I'm very sad to know game still doesn't run smooth on some machines but believe - we've done our utmost to make it look good. If you ask my family, they're still sure I was living at the office for the last two months

Once again - sorry for this to happen! Practice makes perfect so I hope we'll do our best in our next game. Thanks for understanding!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 3, 13 5:15 AM
Hi ceruleanmoon!

Thank you for the marvelous feedback! And yes - I personally do like the credits too! And I know it's very pleasant to many developers to see their names on the list; but what is enjoyable even more is the fact you know players will definitely watch credits until the end and doesn't just skip them. So I guess you've got the point

And a huge "thank you" for the idea of difficulty sliders! I guess it could work out great; still I need to discuss this thing with our team first

Go to: