Re:Reviews for Newest Forum: Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by blueeyedgirl1301 on Jan 9, 13 12:12 AM
I know this is nitpicking, but it IS kind of annoying. There's only 73 horseshoes in the game, but in order to buy all the items in the shop, you need at LEAST 121. I started counting to see if I needed to find ALL the horseshoes to get everything, and was disappointed to see that you're not even able to buy everything even if you DO find every one! ( I stopped counting around 121, might even be a bit more you need for everything).

A small annoyance, but I'm the kind of person that if I'm going to spend the extra money on a CE for it's extras and achievements, I want to be able to GET all the achievements and extras. The game is decent so far, but a big "Boooo!!!" from me for that poor detail!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Reviews for Newest Forum: Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 9, 13 9:11 AM
(My comments are based on about 25 minutes of the demo, and then the purchase of more play time.)

Good game! Storyline--we're a constable sent to Sleepy Hollow in upstate New York to investigate murders (beheadings). Pretty true to the the Washington Irving tale.

The intro is entertaining; the Options Menu is simple, though--two sliders (music and sounds), cursor choice, screen choice (hope that works for some folks). The animations and graphic scenes are very realistic--the voice acting is quite lifelike, characters syncing well with the dialogue.

The hidden-object scenes are realistic, and not necessarily junk-pile style. The H0 scenes in "Mystery Legends--Sleepy Hollow" were quite a bit more challenging. Find golden horseshoes for achievements (I personally like "achievements" in CE games). And there are trophies to be won. (That's a good thing!). Inventory items can be combined to gain better things and further the game. Diary/Journal--Yes. Map--No.

Haven't played the entire game, to include the bonus chapter, but studying the Strategy Guide, I suspect that the game length would be pretty long.

I believe that this game is a good historical account (including "names") from a wonderful American author. Glad I got this for the BFG Monday discount.

Regards, elldee

Edited on 01/09/2013 at 9:42:02 AM PST

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jan 12, 13 2:14 PM
Very well done game. I was happy that there weren't any "bloody" scenes.

My only complaint....some of the HO Scenes, had impossible items to find because of the dark area that they were placed in.

The Bonus Chapter was well worth the extra cost. The "Main" game had a good ending, but the Bonus Chapter added to it nicely.

This is a nice long gone....took me around 7 hours to play.

Edited on 01/12/2013 at 2:15:36 PM PST

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Jan 12, 13 9:49 PM
Maybe it's just because I'm stuck home playing games because I'm sick, but by the end of this game, I was really tired of it.

It worked well. The voice acting was okay. The music was nicely forgettable.

There were hidden objects I couldn't see because of the bad lighting (and some were very small), and it seemed like there were a lot of hidden object scenes. That got kind of tedious. But, on the other hand, the mix of words and pictures to find kept it from becoming entirely unbearable.

I really don't like when HO scenes open back up behind you and there's no way to know without backtracking. A map would've been really nice.

And it suffered from "particular item"-itis. You know how, you have a lantern to light, you're right next to a fireplace, and a lit candle, and a church full of lit candles...but you have to go find the matches? I HATE that.

I don't know. I just didn't love this one. But, I finished it. On the other hand, I don't know if I'll even bother with the bonus.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jan 16, 13 11:22 AM
Phew, after the update and the fixed glitch I finished this game with all horseshoes and trophies! But I won't play it a second time just to buy all the stuff (you need more horseshoes to buy), don't have the time and I want to catch up with the other new games

I loved the very smooth gameplay and nice clear visual style; it was drawn beautifully! A lot of HO scenes but they were quite easy as were the puzzles; this was not really a challenging game, a bit too easy. And I loved the main menu with the graves popping up.

The bonus game was short but fun. All in all a beautiful-looking and ''dark'' game

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 18, 13 6:22 PM
I enjoyed this game & yes, I agree with some of the reviews...the guy does resemble Johnny Depp. So, how can you NOT want to buy this game just for that bonus??? lolThe graphics were great, loved all the mini games & graphics. Voices are sometimes funny but overall...i really enjoyed it!!!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 18, 13 8:53 PM
Just finished playing the main game - could not bring myself to do Bonus Game at this time. Besides getting late in the hour here in Pennsylvania, I started getting annoyed at all the HOS with their - and yes, I agree with all the reviewers that said this - really tiny, tiny objects hidden in dark, dark corners so you can't can't find them!! Ugh, really annoying! I think the Inspector looks alot like - sigh!!- Johnny Depp only with puffy cheeks. The voice overs were just O.K. for me. The mini-games were ridiculously easy even for me!! Also, I just get sooooo tired of locked doors and keys to find and trunks to unlock and gates to raise and rocks to turn over and bugs to get rid of. I did like the graphics and gameplay was O.K except for HOS - and alot of going back and forth with no map. Overall, not a bad game, but not great.

feenix

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Jan 19, 13 4:30 PM
Hate to sound like a spoil sport, but this game on my rating scale of 1 to 10 would be about a 3 1/2 to 4 max. If the game was not so DARK maybe it would have been much more enjoyable. In most of the hidden object scenes things were hidden in absolute darkness and I totally HATE that about games ! You end up either clicking like crazy all over the scene or just hitting the hint button.....that is so nerve racking for me. At times the game was so boring I would just stop all together. In my opnion this buy was a waste of money.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jan 20, 13 8:50 AM
I absolutely LOVED this game!! I collected 70 horseshoes, but didn't buy anything with them as such things don't matter to me.

I have only two complaints... 1) there was an awful lot of running around and a jump map would have been appreciated. 2) the hidden objects were just too darn small for these old eyes to see!! Hidden does NOT mean miniscule! When will the developers ever learn that shrinking something isn't hiding it??? Seriously!!

Okay... maybe three complaints.... everything was so dark!! I even checked my PC to make sure it was plugged in and that I wasn't playing on battery saver mode! And when the light rays came through the darkness, they were too bright and washed everything away!! Hard to explain, but those who have played know what I mean!!

This was a very long play game for me and I'll play it again. The bonus play added nothing to the main game, but it was fun... either the hidden objects were smaller in the bonus (if that could be possible) or my eyes were exhausted from the main game...

Regardless, I highly recommend this game!

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 23, 13 1:49 PM
So, I sort of figured the story line was going to somewhat follow the movie, but it did not really take anything away from the game. There were a couple of problems, though. First off, I play on a HD 23" monitor, not bragging, just saying it really helps when playing HOS. However, in this game, the dev's decided to make certain area's shine with light, while making other areas darker and that really messed with not only finding the right object, but also the trophy brass horseshoes. In one particular HOS, it really bothered me when they wanted me to find 2 flys. In other games, a fly looks just like a fly, duh! However in this particular HOS one was a moth and the other was a bee, since it was yellow/black striped. Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal, but when you are trying to get the achievements and such, it matters. In another HOS, the clue was a "symbol". Seriously? Do you know how many things can be considered a symbol in this game? It ended up being a fluer-de-lis, or some games just call them a lilly, but still, a symbol? Early in the game you are given tongs, later in the game you are asked to find "tongs" in a HOS. You guessed it, they were not even close to the same thing. Actually, the object was what I usually find in other games to be nippers, or nail puller. Finally, in the bonus round one HOS asked for " 2 books". My problem is there were 3 separate books. I don't really think anyone, on any level of gameplay would consider that an "expert" kind of thing to know, since a book is a book, is a book. I was able to get all the acheivements, since they had them, that is what I was going for in this game to make it more challenging. But aside from what I mentioned above, I found it fun to play, but was just not up to a bonus chapter with this game, even though I did play it. I did like the artwork, but consistency did seem to be a bother. Also, the lighting threw me off a bit. At the same time, the lighting did add another dimension to play, but could have been a little more "friendly" in HOS areas. The puzzles are NOT complicated at all, never skipped any, and didn't have to use the hints either. I would recommend this game overall, it was entertaining, a bit challenging, and had the trophy horseshoes to collect!

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jan 23, 13 7:51 PM
elldee2728 wrote:(My comments are based on about 25 minutes of the demo, and then the purchase of more play time.)

Good game! Storyline--we're a constable sent to Sleepy Hollow in upstate New York to investigate murders (beheadings). Pretty true to the the Washington Irving tale.

Actually not at all true to the Washington Irving tale. In Irving's story, Crane was a schoolteacher, and there was no real headless horseman. "Constable Crane" was invented for the Johnny Depp movie.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 24, 13 7:23 AM
i dont think there was gramophones in the eighteenth century!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 25, 13 7:01 AM
we enjoy finding the horseshoes, you gotta love it, we give the game 4.5 out of 5 stars.------------------------------doug & lisa

[Post New]by lovetoplaytoo on Jan 26, 13 9:38 PM
Just finished this game, very well done, but to be critical - some of the grafics where on the dark side and hard to find the hidden objects, otherwise, enjoyed it.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Feb 6, 13 10:05 AM
mostly_nameless wrote:Maybe it's just because I'm stuck home playing games because I'm sick, but by the end of this game, I was really tired of it.

It worked well. The voice acting was okay. The music was nicely forgettable.

There were hidden objects I couldn't see because of the bad lighting (and some were very small), and it seemed like there were a lot of hidden object scenes. That got kind of tedious. But, on the other hand, the mix of words and pictures to find kept it from becoming entirely unbearable.

I really don't like when HO scenes open back up behind you and there's no way to know without backtracking. A map would've been really nice.

And it suffered from "particular item"-itis. You know how, you have a lantern to light, you're right next to a fireplace, and a lit candle, and a church full of lit candles...but you have to go find the matches? I HATE that.

I don't know. I just didn't love this one. But, I finished it. On the other hand, I don't know if I'll even bother with the bonus.

Agree with you 100% !!!!!!

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 6, 13 5:58 PM
As usual, I am a little late with my 2 cents. I bought a lot of games and I am trying to play them in order. This was a good'n (To quote a southern friend of mine) Good game play, good graphics, good story line. I bought it and loved it. If you get a chance to buy it at a discount I would recommend it. As usual, this is only me opinion I recommend you try for yourself.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Apr 11, 13 9:51 PM
I loved this game. didn't get all the horseshoes but maybe next time I play it.

[Post New]by GinsengTea on Aug 6, 13 10:55 AM
If anyone knows how to get the background music to this game please message me. Thank you!

Go to: