minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by minesita on Jan 10, 13 7:51 PM
I finished the game, also the bonus chapter, and well, is a good game, but not to deserve to buy as a collector.
For people who want to know, wait for the SE, the main game have a proper ending.
Another reviewer said before, after the demo's time the game started with so many HOS, almost as junk piles, that is true.
I expent 2 credits on this game because I didn't want to wait (I love E. A. Poe), but in my opinion, the other 3 Dark Tales were better. You don't have nothing extra to pay this amount of money (map, collectibles, etc) I guess ERS don't care about quality and really please their loyal customers.
I'm feeling a little unhappy , but for people who love this Devs. enjoy .

LikaLaruku
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by LikaLaruku on Jan 10, 13 9:01 PM
Hehehe, this game knew how to draw my attention. It's like "Remember than Edgar Allen Poe phase you went through in Jr high?" & "Look at Dupin. Isn't he purdy? There might be more pictures of him."

Mwahaha.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 11, 13 12:29 AM
Shame but, after the epic download we didn't really like it. I mean it is a very nice game and everything is very well done. What dissapointed us were the puzzles. Far too simple, a couple of them could have been ' press these numbers in order-1-2-3'. After 40 mins wife said it was just boring her so we decided to leave it.
And personally I hate dogs, especially great big dopey looking ones.

Edited on 01/11/2013 at 12:30:35 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 11, 13 6:08 AM
4th in the Dark Tales series and all just as fun. Smooth and easy navigation, I was searching for an interactive map and couldnt find it, so I guess its not available. Not sure abt the crow, coz also cant find it. I believe its supposed to be in the other series as collectibles.

Easy mini puzzles, fun HOS with some "hidden hidden" objects within the HOS. If there is a sale, I would buy

Worth your stamp

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 11, 13 6:10 AM
Don't mean to sound cynical but do you think its a ploy to lure those of us in who are not too fond of lots of junkpile hos. Quite often this seems to happen where the demo has very few Hos and then when you purchase the full game there are a ton of them.
Makes you wonder.

Personally I felt exactly that! Duped into buying it...then all changed. A lot of reviews are based on the trial hour. If I'd written a review on that rather than the purchased game, I'd have thought it was good too. I waited until I played just 30 mins into whole game before I reviewed it.
I'd never have bought a CE that was trying hard for an hour not to be a boring junk pile HOG.
Each to their own of course, but I just loathed it

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 11, 13 6:20 AM
I was happy to see that this game was out, since I've played (I think) all the others, but I found gameplay in the demo (as some other people have said) not that challenging, not that interesting, and kind of formulaic, with the exception of the Newfoundland barking to apply certain objects in the inventory (cute idea) and some of the scenes where you assemble objects(not bad at all), although the darkness in the inventory bar for those scenes made it almost impossible to tell what some of the objects were without mousing over them for their name to come up. I did have some minor technical issues (slow cursor and hint graphics), but after redownloading the game, those problems were a little less noticeable. I think my real problem is that the story isn't grabbing me, and the gameplay feels mostly like fill-in. Maybe this changes as the game goes on, but I'm not sure I would buy it. I always like to get CE's if I can afford them for the bonus gameplay, but right now I got through the entire demo without using the SG at all (other than to see how it was laid out), there is no map, no fun objects to locate along the way, so I'm left with the story. So, I'm on the fence about buying it, but tilting towards checking it out again as an SE. I will say I miss the more lush graphics from the earlier games.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 11, 13 7:23 AM
belamba wrote:Don't mean to sound cynical but do you think its a ploy to lure those of us in who are not too fond of lots of junkpile hos. Quite often this seems to happen where the demo has very few Hos and then when you purchase the full game there are a ton of them.
Makes you wonder.

Personally I felt exactly that! Duped into buying it...then all changed. A lot of reviews are based on the trial hour. If I'd written a review on that rather than the purchased game, I'd have thought it was good too. I waited until I played just 30 mins into whole game before I reviewed it.
I'd never have bought a CE that was trying hard for an hour not to be a boring junk pile HOG.
Each to their own of course, but I just loathed it

It works negative on HOGers too: I almost didn't buy this game, because I encountered only one HOS in the trial! Only when I read that there are more HOS, I bought it.

Thus we are even belamba... But don't worry - Azada 4 is all yours (Adventure lite), and it's coming up...

Edited on 01/11/2013 at 7:24:31 AM PST

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Not CE Quality

[Post New]by mrssharon on Jan 11, 13 8:19 AM
I felt the game was not CE quality. It didn't have any real mysterious feeling to it which you would expect from a Poe story.

The music and graphics were very acceptable and the voice-overs are getting better. With computer generated graphics being what they are today, I don't understand why they can't get the lips to move with the way the words are spoken. If you noticed carefully, Dupin's facial expressions were were quite subtle but they were appropriate and added feeling. So often, what is lacking (and there is no way around it because it's animation) is body language. So for having a quick lift of the eyebrow to show skepticism or surprise, I applaud the devs for that.

The HOS and mini games were by far too easy but may be just right for some players. I feel I want a challenge, not just something to pass the time.

And could someone explain why some of the characters who don't even know Dupin keep giving him keys or puzzle pieces or whatever? Would you give a key to an employee and say "Here, give this to a stranger because it may help them."? A bit too convenient. What happened to searching for these items?

I won't say I don't recommend this game because it is nicely done, but you don't have to be a brainiac to play it.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 11, 13 8:43 AM
Love these Dark Tales! Very enjoyable. The game moves along smoothly, inventory items are generally found and used quickly which keeps the game interesting and stress free. Mini games are unusual, somewhat easy, but can be tricky because the instructions are not always clear...I only skipped a few and basically enjoyed the rest,which is unusual for me.

HOS, of which there are a few, are standard to very different and enjoyable. Items are picked up and used within the HOS in some which gives an extra challenge to them. Love the dog that joins you in the beginning...something really different.

Music is very relaxing and muted and the voiceovers are fun as they usuallly are in the Dark Tales, Edgar Allen Poe games. Some cut scenes, but short. Love this detective!

A very good thing about this game is that it has a satisfactory ending without depending on the bonus game to finish it. Therefore I imagine the SE would be a complete game on its own.

Hint and skip refresh rapidly. I had to use the hint to move around at times as there is no map. Never used the journal. Bonus game is fun, but doesn't flow quite as smoothly. I give this game a definate 5 out of 5...very enjoyable, left me with a smile on my face! This is how games should be.

agrimony
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by agrimony on Jan 11, 13 11:35 AM
Oh my! I read many of the reviews and WOW so many diverse opinions. My suggestion to any one who is not sure about this game is just try it for yourself.

As for me I absolutely loved this game. The graphics were excellent. I am not petty about the black bars I just ignore them. Just wondering what the big deal is on black bars. Yes I have them too, but like I said I just ignore them.

I love all the Edger Allen Poe games and this one in my opinion is just as good if not better then the others. At least the so called "junk piles" have the items that go along with the theme of the game.

It seems many of the games now have a little furbuddy or some kind of animal to help them along which I think is a great plus for the game.

I liked the music and yes I think it was used in some of the other games, but it gives it a familiar feeling to the characters. If you don't like the music that is why you have a volume on your speakers. There is an off button.

There was one glitch where Dupin repeated what he said twice, and it made me think there might be more but I found none. So maybe it was an oversite on the Devs. But beyond that all was just great.

There is a very old saying "you can please some of the people some of the time, but all of the people none of the time". That is true with the people and games here.

I try not to "go off" on the Dev's because they work hard to create these game, and I don't think I could ever create a game as good as this one.

So my suggestion to you if you are not sure about a game, is try the demo and see for yourself. True sometimes the demo does not show what lies ahead and that is what you really don't like, and I have run into a few of them, so I just don't play them again. I wish BFG had a way you could trade off games you don't like or because of your principles, that you could trade with someone else or trade in for another game.

Anyway in my most humble opinion that is a great game and I know I will play it over and over.

Oh by the way I love happy endings like this one.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 11, 13 3:32 PM
(I'll review this after about 30 minutes of the demo, and then about an hour of the purchased gane.)

Well, it's an ers game--some folks will be turned off simply by that. Not me! I always give ers a chance, and I'm glad I did with this one! Number four in the Edgar Allan Poe series--doesn't quite measure up to "Premature Burial," (number three), but still very good. Again, Inspector Dupin solicits our "detective" help in solving a mystery.

What a great intro, and a nifty Options menu! Three sliders--music, sound, voice. Choice of cursors and screen options. (Hope widesceen works for folks that need that). There are three gameplay modes ("casual" is pretty easy). Voice acting is good, and syncs very well with the characters' lip movements. The animations are excellent (e.g., waterwheel turning in the background); the graphics are typically ers--great colors; H0 scenes are interactive, not necessarily junky. Ya gotta love "Arthur," the Newfoundland pooch that helps with hints from inventory (if the item has a pawprint). You'll find him a few minutes into the game. The hint system works well outside of the H0 scenes. Typically, the integrated SG remembers where you left off. No map, which is a bit disappointing.

I have enjoyed the previous Poe stories, and this one doesn't disappoint. But as always, D/L the demo first.

Regards, elldee

Edited on 01/11/2013 at 5:41:01 PM PST

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jan 12, 13 8:06 AM
Based on trial - 4th in a series (I own the other three) and this one so far hasn't disappointed me.
Three modes of play
Choice of Cursor
SG only showed 2 chapters but I didn't need it as game play flows nicely.
View but not sure if when you buy the game the bonuses are immediately available or not. Worthless if screensaver isn't - only time I use them.
HOGs so far are both find the shape and named item (with interactions) - not difficult but some with eye problems might find at least one blended together making it a bit more of a challenge.
Mini puzzles have been varied and very enjoyable - not tedious but not necessarily easy. Have to put your thinking cap on.
Occult: so far nothing disturbing - in one area SPOILER you must find parts to a windup toy fortune teller and ball to get an item - silly and they could have just as easily used a rabbit in a hat.
Voice overs are good - the "villian's voice" is quite comical - one would think he'/she's afraid of you.
Arthur is a wonderful companion and very useful in helping you track down clues using his nose.
Loved the animations.
it will be a buy for me - just not sure if CE or SE - need to know length of bonus.

[Post New]by moonwalker97478 on Jan 12, 13 11:59 AM
it was a great game & was really enjoying playing the game till I got to chapter 4 & sadly I can't go any further.please fix the game so I can finish it

kszanz
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by kszanz on Jan 12, 13 1:12 PM
I do really love this series. However, there is one thing I do wish they would stop doing in them. Please stop telling the player to not click randomly in the HO scenes. If you play as many HO games as I do, you get to where you can't stand to look up all of the items. In order to play these games, I have to be able to click until I've selected everything in the list. I don't mind finding the last item or two, but I cannot stand having to find all of the items. In fact, if I start playing a game that contains all or almost all HO scenes, I will delete it immediately. You know the old saying, "You can get too much of a good thing." I'm just so glad the creators of these games have mixed in so many varieties of ways to look for items so that we can still enjoy playing these.

Before closing, I would like to suggest a couple more improvements for games. Some types of puzzles we each hate playing. Therefore, please, please, please make the Skip button appear immediately instead of being so long you can go take a shower, wash your dishes and mop the floors before it appears. Once we buy this game, it is ours and no longer yours. Let us play it our way. You are brilliant enough to create these games; let us then play them as we choose. Who gives a ding dong if we want to try a puzzle or not? Who cares? Also, let the Hint button always be available immediately to use as we want. If you want those limitations, put them in the expert mode. We're not going to use them unless we need them anyway, so have them available when they're needed.

Thanks so much for all of your hard work. These games are fabulous!!!

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Jan 15, 13 5:57 PM
You know, I thought I'd love it. It has the beautiful graphics, the sounds, a Poe story, all that good stuff. . . .

But it's dull. I'm playing in hardest mode and the main guy just keeps talking and talking and talking about everything obvious. And it's find an object, use the object, no building up of interesting things to use later somehow. The scenes are pretty, but there's very little to do in each one (except of course find the object, use the object).

Not for me.

Makes me sad.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Jan 17, 13 6:36 PM
I only played the demo version, so this review will be based on that.

The graphics were okay. Not up to the standards of the first two Dark Tales, but was decent enough. The music was recycled, and I could clearly recognize that the music was the same from Murders in the Rue Morgue, albeit with a different arrangement.

But the thing I found most problematic in the game was that the plot resembled anything but a mystery (although the original story wasn't one of Dauphin's stories, they should still have kept the suspense). To me, the presentation didn't exactly make you wonder about the bug, or the murderer, for that matter. Simply put, it lacks the imagination and mystery of Rue Morgue and Black Cat ( Premature Burial was beginning to push it, but it managed to be sowewhat decent).

Note to the devs. If you can't make it work as as mystery in a game, simply don't adapt it. Choose another of Poe's stories ( there a plenty, and I have yet to see one based on the Raven, which, although it's a poem, has enough of a story there).

Overall, not really good. Maybe if I'm really bored I may buy it as a DD or CATW, but it's doubtful.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jan 17, 13 7:40 PM
I had been looking forward to the release of this game for a while, as I have all of the other Dark Tales CE games and enjoyed them tremendously. This game was a big let down!! I didn't dislike it, but I didn't love it.

There was no drama, excitement, or sense of urgency. No surprises whatsoever. I just strolled around, found and object, walk two miles to use it, pick something else up, walk another two miles ad nauseum...

For me, this was NOT a fun game, it was just one task after another and it became very tedioius.

I played in advanced mode that promised NO sparkles..... HA! When are you developers going to learn to deliver what you promised?!

For those of you on the fence with this one, please try it first. SE would be a good choice as the bonus game is just more tedious fetching and utilizing items one at a time... pretty linear... a jump map would have been greatly appreciated. The bonus really adds nothing to the main game.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jan 17, 13 7:59 PM
I like the game, but a bit disappointed to. First, the graphics are nice, as usual with this game series, and both the story and music are fine, but in paying the CE price, I found the game too short in play length, and that is in combination with the bonus play. I also never had to use one hint, and found all the puzzles way to easy, no matter what level of game play... just breezed through them all. I have the other games in this series, and found them a bit better. Despite all of this, I still enjoyed the game, I just wish I would have paid the SE price instead.

Edited on 01/17/2013 at 8:00:52 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 17, 13 8:11 PM
Well, FINALLY (!!) finished both main and bonus games. Seemed to take forever, for some reason. I guess taking down those darn Christmas decorations puts me behind in my game playing!! I did like the game, and have all the Edgar Allen Poe games - love that crazy guy!! Yes, the detective is quite a "hotty" and I have had a bit of a crush in all his games, but personally, I fell in love with the dog!! Sounds creepy doesn't it??!! He was absolutely adorable. And so smart!! For me, this game took quite a bit of patience for some reason and I just couldn't get into it as I did the other Edgar Allen games. I loved most of the mini-games - thought they were original and fun to do, but a few had me stumped. All in all, had a good time, but honestly, glad I'm done!!

feenix

AussieMoo
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by AussieMoo on Jan 18, 13 2:38 AM
endofmonth wrote:You know, I thought I'd love it. It has the beautiful graphics, the sounds, a Poe story, all that good stuff. . . .

But it's dull. I'm playing in hardest mode and the main guy just keeps talking and talking and talking about everything obvious. And it's find an object, use the object, no building up of interesting things to use later somehow. The scenes are pretty, but there's very little to do in each one (except of course find the object, use the object).

Not for me.

Makes me sad.

Sums up my feelings exactly. So disappointed.

Go to: