*Captivating story
*Some original puzzles - some simple, some very challenging
*Typical HOS, but including interactivity with inventory items
*Achievements
*Extra items that allow you to perform "philanthropic" tasks
*Interactive/transport map
*Looooong game play!

Happy gaming, all!!

ETA: Thought I would go ahead and mention one minor negative - when a game is developed in another language there are often translation errors, especially in the HOS. That was the case in this game. Examples SPOILERS: *An astrolabe was asked for and a drafting compass was the actual item. A lamp was asked for and a light bulb was the actual item. In one scene a piece of cloth was picked up and was labeled a diaper, however it was awfully large and used as a blanket* It is worth overlooking these minor issues. Still a delightful game!

Ditto for me! I love Elephant games, this one was actually worth the CE price as it was longer as I've come to expect this developer to be. Their games just keep getting better and better...I thought the last one was GREAT as well. I'm supremely amazed that anyone would find the graphics hard to see....perhaps glasses are in order. It ended to soon as usual....I love when I don't want the game to end - this one was like that....and those are few and far between. I haven't been buying the CE's as much because they just haven't been worth double the price as I rarely EVER replay or use the screen savers and extras. I just hope EG keeps up the fantastic quality as I will continue to buy their CE's!

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

Re:Reviews for Surface: The Soaring City Collector's Edition

[Post New]by spenny1 on Feb 1, 13 6:21 AM
As with the previous Surface games, and as is usual from Elephant, this one has stunning graphics. Everything is bright and clear, and even the detailing around the screen is beautiful, like an antique brooch. You still have the basic journal with the option to replay cinematic journal entries, and the jump map. The game is broken up into three smaller areas, so you don't get lost, or have to make notes. The flowers you collect are used as currency to repair the various areas, and there are achievements. The latter were fairly basic though, mainly handed out for things you have to do anyway, and extras for not using hints/ships and 'philanthropy', ie restoring the ares.

This is still a lovely game to play, but I did feel there wasn't quite as much challenge as the previous two games. The puzzles and mini games are fun, and all a bit different to the norm, but all pretty easy. Working out what needed doing and where was all very straightforward too, not much thinking required. I think the main was only around 3 1/2 hours game play, maybe 4, so not the longest game out there but still a fairly decent length.

I also found the story a bit far fetched, yes I know it's fantasy, and I'm a big fantasy fan, but some things were still a bit of a stretch or made little sense. I was left with a few unanswered questions, just a little bug bare, but it didn't flow quite like the first 2 games. For example -

SPOILER - Did Jeremy make the whole island fly, if so where did he get it, and was it a full planet when the first inhabitants had it? Did he put wings on all the human inhabitants, and I'm still not sure what the experiments he was supposed to be accused of were. I realise it was all lies, but it was a bit vague.

The bonus chapter was a good hour long for me, and is a proper bonus with extra story content. I think the quality was just the same as the main game, not stuck on as an afterthought to qualify it as a CE.

So all in all, still a lovely game, but just not quite as challenging as the others. I hope Elephant is going to start to sacrifice quality for quantity, as they seem to have released quite a few of late. Please devs, take note!

Since I can't amend the game page review, I'll do it here. I'm just re-playing The Noise She Couldn't make, and I personally think it's definitely far better than Soaring City. More inventive, more game play compared to cut scenes, much more to do, puzzles more challenging, and

Edited on 02/01/2013 at 12:45:05 PM PST

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Feb 1, 13 12:48 PM
I Just want to add to my review as I ran out of room. I am re-playing The Noise Che Couldn't make, and it's far better in my opinion. Much more inventive, more challenging puzzles, more game play than cut scenes, better graphics, and far, far better story. I know that I thought at the time that Mystery of Another World was better than The Noise She Couldn't make. Please devs, don't just keep making more in a series to cash in on a name. I personally would rather more time in between games than more games of less quality

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Feb 2, 13 8:55 AM
what a GREAT game, we give this game 5 out of 5 . you will love this game.--------------doug & lisa

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on Feb 4, 13 12:07 PM
Just finished the game. What a super game!!! This game has it all! Lovely graphics, different and INTERESTING plot, the live actors were great and it had a satisfying ending. No witches, warlocks, vampires or evil spirits or dead people haunting the place. I give this 10 out of 10.
Can't imagine how this one can be topped!!! Thanks to BFG and the developers for doing a superb job and making this fishie very happy!!!

lnorris101
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by lnorris101 on Feb 8, 13 5:59 PM
Why are the moderators removing so many posts? What is it that they don't want us to read so very much?

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 9, 13 5:09 PM
Just finished this game. It took roughly 10 hours to finish. Lovely crisp graphics, intriguing storyline, nice background music, interesting and varied mini games, interactive hidden object scenes, lots of things to to. The game was so long I had to check that I wasn't playing the bonus game by accident!

This game is worthy of the CE tag and is probably one of the best I've played so far.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 10, 13 8:25 PM
Just finished the main game....long one. Enjoyed it for the most part, however if the voice overs don't match the lip movement they should just not have the lips move unless this was originally designed with a different language then I guess that is understandable.

Excellent, crisp, clear graphics and animations. Cut scenes were actually enjoyable and I didn't find myself skipping them as I usually do. I play on casual and found the game a challenge at times but the hint helps out.

HOS were really fun..had to use inventory items to solve as well as leave and find items in other places..a bit of a challenge sometimes, but different and fun. Mini games were a nightmare...often tedious but made more difficult by the long instructions...I skipped most of them. Hint and Skip take 1 minutes each to recharge..there is a little timer so you know the count down.

Love the jump map and it is needed in this game. These are so great and they make the game so much more enjoyable! Sometimes the story could get a bit confusing and the voices were so close that knowing who was saying what didn't make sense sometimes...I wonder if the same actor was doing all the voices?

Nice ending...don't know what the bonus game is like yet. I give this a 4.5 out of 5. Pleasant game play with little frustration...but I did use the hint quite a bit.

Additional comments: Just finished the bonus game and it was every bit as good as the main game. Very positive feeling game. Enjoyed it very much. One of the few CEs which was worth the money. Found out that all those flowers I collected went toward restoring the city...fun.

Edited on 02/11/2013 at 8:04:36 AM PST

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Feb 13, 13 4:13 PM
Great Game...enough said! enjoy!!!!

Tabbitha53
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by Tabbitha53 on Feb 16, 13 4:27 PM
Eoarod wrote:Love this series and this game pulled me in instantly! Everything I could want from this dev and Surface!

Totally agree.i LOVED this demo and the player interaction is great.Not just simply clicking a list of hard to see/find objects.I really felt a part of the story and its a definite buy for me .

Edited on 02/16/2013 at 4:28:13 PM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Feb 17, 13 4:21 PM
I loved it and it was the first in awhile for a game that I enjoyed. I want to go back and play it again and see if I can get more flowers because I didn't see them in the beginning or collect them so didn't have enough to restore the city. Plus I got it free with another game.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 15, 13 1:45 PM
The Usual good game from this developer. Semi linear, sometime confusing, but always fun. For me, that's the main thing, Try it, you might like it.

loveday
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by loveday on Mar 16, 13 12:54 AM
Elephant strikes again with a solid game in the series....but rather annoying the continuous cut scenes - a bit of overkill...great to see the extras and the team having fun.... I recommend this, has good story definitely won't bore u

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Oct 6, 13 8:35 PM
finished the game enjoyed it , but had to use the guide a lot as I couldn't figure out some of the puzzles.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 22, 14 11:06 PM
Based on the reviews and on my time playing this game, you will either love it or uninstall it. Yes, it has great graphics, pretty to play, a little helper, but I also had a problem with the wing man. I have all the surface games and I've played them, but it has become a little bit redundant for me. I understand it's just a game and it's fantasy, but I suppose I prefer to be more in reality, or something as close to it as possible, in order for it to be believable for me. Just not my type of game. I'm happy for the ones that enjoyed this game, I always say each to their own, so maybe you'll like this one as well.

Go to: