NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Reviews for Amaranthine Voyage: The Tree of Life Collector's Edition

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Feb 7, 13 1:36 AM
What an amazing game!!! Just finished the bonus chapter and it really adds to the story and quite a decent length too

I loved the visuals of a ruined city, lots of greenery and great animations. Music and sounds fit well with the atmosphere. A lot of HO scenes but I loved the variety of it, and the riddle items. Very interesting puzzles, some unique, and I could solve them all without skipping

And live action characters are always fun to look at good job team!

Also loved getting the story piece by piece (finding those objects) and searching for various collectables like the blimps, butterflies and owls!!! That really makes a game a CE! And the extras were great, the photos of the team, the making of video (very charming to see) and the achievements.

Really an excellent game that has all the things a CE should have Almost feel sad finishing the game...

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 26, 13 5:13 PM
REVIEW OF FINISHED GAME

I only bought this game in sale because of all the many good extras in it as the game isn’t my taste, and I wouldn’t even have bought the SE as it’s one of those games that without the extras I would never play it. I think it will appeal to those who hate puzzles or love simple ones and like quite a few HOS, here it’s two different types.
I was glad of the achievements and collectables as it made this easier game that bit harder.

Let’s get the negative (for me) out of the way and the following is on the hardest level (choice of 2)

CONS -

- constant big on screen notifications of ‘objective’ and objective complete (what’s the point of the diary?)
-black bar tips
- map but it isn’t a transporter map
- mega sparkles on hard for HOS
- extras locked until finished
- such simple puzzles
-backtracking
-random click penalty on both levels
-I didn’t like the graphics especially at the middle to end – not crisp and sharp kind and a lot of stone coloured as there was a lot of outside stone buildings but could have used at least some more differences in colour if not more sharp

Pros

-no auto tips on puzzles
- no map tips on hard but as it wasn’t a transporter map anyway, wasn’t using it so didn’t see the point of it on hard mode.
-live actors, they tried to minimise the lip synch by making them small and at least it was just language barrier and not off timing like some games. I thought they were well blended and it looked right, didn’t stick out, acting was OK.
-credits were well done – humour and making it more personal

-EXTRAS

Collectables
(spoiler on one) – I loved that there are 3 different types which is great and I thought a clever one (although no one else seems to have) – as the 3rd one you don’t take it but that gives it an art of mystery – what is this? , so it gives mystery to one achievement. It gives the gameplay a slightly added hardness/mystery to an otherwise quite easy game. I wouldn’t appreciate if it was on the one and only collectable but it wasn’t.

Achievements – good achievements (apart from gameplay ones)
All puzzles and HOS and cutscenes are replayable
Making of video and before amaranthine – if you ever wanted a behind the scenes the look this is excellent (although couldn’t hear anything)
Pictures (wallpaper, concept art, and pictures of green screen actor

TBC

Edited on 02/26/2013 at 5:21:20 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 26, 13 5:14 PM
continued

Plot was straightforward but it was well told, there are a lot of cutscenes which I didn't mind as it made gameplay more interesting telling the plot.

With getting all achievements and collectables it might be more 2.5/5 for hardness so if you want a harder game try for everything.

21 simple puzzle
(17 I think official ones) but I counted 21 that either had a “?” beside it or I felt was one.
Most of them (apart from maybe 2 that you could class as medium) were very simple, and even boring. There was one kind that was repeated that was good (the one at the very end) and at least that although not hard was fun. Most of the others felt stale – no facelift, just straightforward, even the graphics weren’t nice.

Hidden object scenes

17 list mild interactive type
, at end of each one was a simple riddle which I thought was different. You repeat one as a list type. Random click penalty on both modes of play. I did find them easy to recognise the item is which is good(I don’t mean that some weren’t blended), and quite a few were not junk pile and they weren’t dark or depressing to look at. I prefer mine to be the sharper kind but that’s my taste of graphics which this game isn’t.

12 find the same items type (ie find 12 screws) of these most of them were repeats from the list kind. I’m glad there was that kind as I prefer them and it did break them up, especially as I don’t like that many HOS and it did feel on the heavier side for HOS.

BONUS CHAPTER

Although there one aspect of the plot is tied up – the main part you do need the bonus for the personal aspect of it to conclude as well as tree aspect. As I wasn’t so engaged with everything (as I said above this isn’t to my taste) it wasn’t until I started playing the bonus that I realised ‘of course, it isn’t all concluded at the end of the main game’ and had a duh moment of not realising before that.

I will say that I preferred the gameplay of the bonus to the last bit of the main game. It was 99% in new area and I thought there seem to be more thought in it. It wasn’t wonderful etc but I enjoyed it more than most of main game.

5 list HOS
5 find same item HOS
9 puzzle (unofficial)
It was right on the hour.

main game 4hrs roughly
bonus game 1hr

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Mar 26, 13 3:35 PM
I bought this game with the buy one CE get one for $2.99 sale. I enjoyed the game, although I didn't think the graphics were that great. I appreciated the map, but wish it were a jump map. The gameplay was good, and I like games that have achievements. All and all a good game and will play it again soon.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on May 1, 13 11:53 AM
I really enjoyed this game.

s_sgs
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by s_sgs on May 3, 13 8:26 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I enjoyed the game, and I liked the owl mystery...I guess if you just like the sound of owls hooting, and really aren't into achievements that much, it was just a little added fun thing. I did like the way they did the collectibles in this game, as I didn't stress over them. I didn't go crazy scouring each scene to make sure I didn't miss one, which I have done in some games. I thought the graphics were beautiful and interesting. And the music was ideal. Enjoyed the narrators voice also...very relaxing and soothing, and fit the storyline. I also liked the good mix of puzzles. Well done, Devs.

Well said. This is a beautiful game through to the end and fun to play. I got over myself on the Owls. Yes, acknowledgement at the end, but just fun making them hoot along the way. This game and "Ship of Bones", while very different games have similar qualities in great artwork and intriguing game play.

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by bluejen on Feb 21, 14 3:38 PM
I am really enjoying this game. One of the better ones I've played in quite awhile! In fact, I better stop and grab some java. The owls. blimps and is it butterflies? don't bother me at all.. I've learned from the first HOG I played they usually amount to nothing. Anyway, good job! Though I'm stuck on the darn crab, I'll post that elsewhere.

Go to: