Re:Reviews for Maestro: Music from the Void Collector's Edition

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 1, 13 10:13 PM
I took my time, and the bonus game only lasted 50 minutes for me. Just not satisfied with these short bonus games, as they are the only reason I am willing to buy the CEs...I don't care about any of the rest of the extras, and sure don't want to replay the same puzzles or HOS again. Extra long game play is what I want. So put me in the group that says they just aren't worth double price anymore

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Feb 2, 13 11:04 AM
Willita wrote:Game over. - I love this kind of games, everyone has their preferences, and I like. - I have all the "Maestro" and all "Dark Tales", all I like, I enjoy playing them. -
One question, anyone know if there game after "The Phantom of the Opera"?
Excuse my English, I'm Spanish.
Regards.

Juego terminado.- Me encanta este tipo de juegos, cada uno tiene sus preferencias, y a mi me gustan.- Tengo todos los "Maestro" y todos los "Dark Tales", todos ellos me gustan, disfruto jugandolos.-
Una pregunta, alguien sabe si hay juego de continuacion de "El Fantasma de la Opera"?
Disculpad mi ingles, soy española.
Saludos

Hola Willita, soy americana-latina, asi que hablo los dos idiomas.
No hay otra secuencia del Fantasma de la Opera. Tu ingles es muy bueno. Si quieres preguntarme algo puedes hacerlo PM (private message).
Bienvenida al Forum .
M.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Feb 2, 13 8:13 PM
I liked, but didn't love this game. The graphics, as usual from this developer, were gorgeous, and the music was lovely. There were three things about this game that bugged me:

1) The length. In my opinion, it was long play because there was no jump map. All that to and fro running around is what racked up my length of play with this one. Had there been a map, it probably would have taken me only about two hours to play.

2) While there should have been some sense of urgency, given the plot, I never felt it. No surprises, no odd twist of things... no wow factor.

3) When I purchase a CE, I'm expected to pay the required $13.99. When I play in advanced mode and am told there are NO SPARKLES IN ACTIVE ZONES, I fully expect there to be NO SPARKLES IN ACTIVE ZONES. I almost had to put my sunglasses on!! When are most developers going to get that??? If they feel COMPELLED to throw those sparkles in, give us an opportunity to turn those suckers off when we choose our options!! Seriously, how darned hard can that be. Guess I'm a little testy about this irritant because it happens more often than not. I do NOT need that much hand holding!!

I won't rule out playing this one again WHEN BF hits a dry spell (it happens from time to time), but it will NOT be my first replay choice.

I don't mind sequels, and in fact, look forward to them, but each one needs to step up from it's predecessor. If I keep seeing that they don't, I will stop purchasing sequels. The older I get and the more I game, I'm becoming less tolerant of this.

All of that said, this game is probably best purchased as a SE. The bonus really was not that spectacular....

avueik
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by avueik on Feb 5, 13 6:54 PM
I like the Maestro series, and found this game interesting. The only thing turning me off to buy it, are the HOG's with the Silhouette's. I don't like those at all. Are there more after the first 2 in the beginning??

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 8, 13 11:02 AM
Well, I enjoyed the game even though I felt it was a bit short especially for a CE. The bonus game was definately short. Graphics were beautiful and clear...always enjoy those as well as the music.

HOS were quite easy, clear but could be a bit cluttered. Some items had odd names which through me for a loop until I figured it out. Never called a ladies hanky a scarf before. The mini games were easy but tedious and I don't have a great deal of patience with those so I skipped a lot just to keep the game moving. If you are the kind that like to deal with that, go for it. The hint and skip both refresh quite quickly which also keeps the game going.

No map of any kind that I could find and I feel this game needed one as you did move around a great deal. Inventory items were generally used quite quickly so you didn't carry a bunch around and forget where they went.

Game didn't knock me off my feet and I didn't feel it was worth a CE price, but then are any of them anymore? Got it on sale and it was at least better than some of the SEs that have been offered lately.

So I give it a 3.5 out of 5. I have the other games in this series and have always enjoyed them.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Feb 9, 13 2:46 PM
cbtx wrote:Well. ers has phoned in another game----this time in the already tired "Maestro" series. The third time. I really can't see the need for another rehashing of this series, but that certainly has never stopped ers before (a 6th "Puppetshow", anyone?). So on we go.

Apart from the fact that there are things to collect, this game is noteworthy only in its sameness----same artwork (especially coloring), same style of puzzles that require zero effort, same type of HOS with their convoluted logic that require two visits apiece, same extremely grating violin music as the first two games in the series (and for a musically oriented game, you would think that avenue could be opened up quite a bit), same style of searching (back and forth, back and forth), same basic story----all of this without really showing us anything new at all. But it doesn't appear that ers is interested in innovative ideas----at least not in this one.

For some reason, the voiceovers in this game are particularly poor. The narrator is so overwrought and over the top it's just laughable. Then the next voices are so flat it sounds like company employees reading lines.

And for "widescreen" we get artwork of a composer's stand on either side where the black bars used to be. Sorry, ers, but that's not widescreen but rather a cheap cop out. But what it does show is that ers knows that something should be done about their persistent lack of widescreen. But this is not it. The game itself should fill the screen, and I'm sure ers knows that.

Finally, I just don't think ers has good sequels----they simple retell the same story, change a couple of characters and locations, and stamp it out. I don't want to see what Jason is up to in "Friday the 13th" movies, and I don't care at all what the Maestro/Puppetmaster types have in mind, either----again and again.

This dev has shown that they are capable of so much more----I just think a phoned in game like this one is about nothing more than the bottom line. This very lackluster effort gets a big .

Well said. I will echo this review since I agree with every point cbtx made.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 15, 13 8:04 PM
Finished main game, haven't played the Bonus game yet, and will follow-up with a review once I have played it. I love the Maestro games, love the graphics, love the music and love pretty much everything about them!! I really enjoyed myself with this one, and playing a game like this, reafirms my enjoyment of this type of game. There have been a few, (quite a few actually), in the past year, that I was so frustrated and aggravated while playing, for various reasons, that I was ready to quite the HOPA games, which had been my favorite. But then, there have been some games recently in the last few months, that have been so enjoyable, that I'm hooked again! This game is not hard to understand, story and game play is smooth and articles in inventory are easy to figure out what to do with. I actually remembered from scene to scene, where to use them!! It is a very interesting and enjoyable game, for beginners and veterans alike.

feenix

[Post New]by Lenchik_V on Feb 18, 13 5:02 AM
Good game!!!!

[Post New]by HaroldPutter on Feb 18, 13 8:06 AM
Great story, beautiful graphics, HOG's and the mini-games are innovative without being brain-numbing, earn achievements ... no glitches. This is a buy for me.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 20, 13 3:59 PM
Comparing this game to some of the more recent games I've played, it fell short. The HOS were very cartoonish at best. I don't know when garden shears became scissors, or when something that looks like and handkerchief becomes a shawl, but it did not hit any big wowsers from me. The story line was not that enthusiatic for me to really care enough what happens. And usually that is a sign of a good game for me. I was elated when it was over and having played the other's in this series, I thought this was an attempt to elaborate on a theme that has run it's course. There were a few puzzles that I did enjoy, but not enough to make them really stand out and give this game a CE rating. I actually had to check to see that is was a CE. Very disappointed with the overall game. If I had to play it again, I wouldn't. There wasn't any surprises, or anything really challenging in this game. Now if you want to sit there and just play a game where you don't have to think, you don't have to really wonder where the story line is going and you want to just chill out and play to kill time, then this one is for you. I don't know why some dev's get really great graphics, and others seem like I'm playing a cartoon version, but I got this one as a freebie, so that is probably the only good thing I have to say. Sorry, just not my cup of tea.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Feb 21, 13 12:32 AM
It was a nice game with the usual graphics and music and sounds that these developers make, nothing new... And they are getting a bit out-dated
The only new thing was the collecting of instruments (25 of them) and that skeleton orchestra (I loved that! Fun to watch them play )

I loved the puzzles and minigames; they were pretty easy. HO scenes were fun too, especially the interactive, non-cluttered ones. Wish there were more of them.

But this game was not really challenging. Just mediocre

Capatin
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Capatin on Mar 5, 13 6:08 PM
It was enjoyable just one thing however how about some different background music the same music from all 3 games plus it sound very close to puppet show also maybe a litle darker theme to fit the flow of the game just a thought overall great work

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 9, 13 10:29 AM
Typical ERS Game, good graphics, good gameplay, Nice story line. The only problem I had was the piano puzzle. That blasted violin was so loud I couldn't hear the notes I was supposed to play.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Mar 18, 13 10:47 AM
we found this game to be very much like the ones before this one, we give it a 3 out of 5 stars. it seemed to be shorter.-------doug & lisa...........

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Mar 24, 13 7:22 PM
Compared with some of ERS Games more recent offerings I found this game to be superior. I also thought it was the mest of Maestro Trilogy. I must warn people sitting on the fence as to whether to buy the SE or the CE edition that the story really isn't complete without the "Bonus Chapter". I once again found the ending to be a little abrupt, but more fulfilling than some of their other games. I really like these more traditional ERS offerings with animated characters and Steampunk-like environments. I think the art and music were gorgeous as unusual. Keep up the good work ERS.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 19, 13 1:06 PM
Another masterpiece in the maestro saga, beautifully made with exceptional graphics, nice plot, dark shadows and disappearing prodigies.

As with the other ones I enjoy this series too much to let go, I played the whole game and was not disappointed, it was worth every penny of a CE.

If you play one you have to have them all.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jul 3, 13 2:08 PM
Review based upon completion of game and bonus content.

This is the third (and possibly final?) installment of the Maestro series. Despite being stripped from power in the bonus chapter of part 2, Le Salle Gosse (the brat) is back. The showdown tales place in the Vienna Academy of the Arts, where two students have gone missing and the Music of Death is running rampart. The Austrian setting is fitting for classical music, but - of course - the portrayal of Austria itself has nothing to do with the country or the city of Vienna at all. (For example, we do NOT have flags on our mailboxes.)

The Good:

+ fitting setting
+ graphics and videos
+ beautiful classical music
+ you are controlling four different types of music
+ areas are logically finished and do not have to be revisited again, leaving the to-and-froing to a minimum
+ hint function now directs you to the next area with something to do instead of just giving the dreaded "There is nothing to do here" message
+ they tried something different with the HO scenes! In about 50% of the scenes you pick up items by silhouette, then manipulate things in the scene
+ already found items stay out of repeated HO scenes
+ 22 diverse mini games...

The Neutral:

o ...21 of which can be solved in 45 seconds or less
o setting was not researched properly

The Bad:

- they dumbed the game down

Bonus Content:

For a change the story has a satisfying end, and you actually do not have to play the final chapter to make any sense out of it. The chapter took me about an hour to play. Other than that, you get the usual stuff of artwork, screensaver, soundtrack and wallpapers... but HEY, wait a minute! In a Bunny first, you can replay the mini games and HO scenes! Also, you will find 25 musical instruments during the game (19 in the main game, 6 in the bonus chapter), and if you can find all of them the Orchestra of the Void (the killed guys from Notes of Life) will play a music piece for you. I really loved them.

Bottom Line: The Bunnies got graphics and videos down, and they finally listened and tried something different. And they really pulled it off this time, but dumbed it down so much that it's more or less always clear what to do next, and that you can solve 95% of all mini games within a minute without the necessity of thinking. I recommend getting the CE, but you will need to know the story from the first two games.

Go to: