bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Chimeras: Tune of Revenge Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 17, 13 5:09 PM
Well, I enjoyed this game although at times it was a bit confusing. If it wasn't for the jump map, especially after I learned to use it properly...good grief, I don't think I would have been able to navigate through this game with just the hints. Mini games were not always clear but they were workable for someone who had more patience than me. I played a few but skipped most.

Hint and Skip seem to refresh quite quickly which is always a plus. The jump map was a godsend. After I found the "blue" dots I was able to progress quite quickly as that was apparently "where the action was".

Graphics and animations were stunning. I did have to turn the music up and down as sometimes it was just way too loud and then it would go soft. I think they could have picked a better voice characterization for the music box player...it sounded like and old dirty pirate, not a handsome young man.

Nice ending although the bonus game adds a bit more to it, ending where it did finalized the story fine. Nice lenghth...I enjoyed it. I give a 4.5 out of 5 only because I think it could have moved along a bit more smoothly. I felt I did get my money's worth especially since I got it on a buy one, get one free deal!!!!

Gwion
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Gwion on Feb 17, 13 11:03 PM
I had mixed feelings about this game. On the one hand, I like the art in Elephant games and this one was up to the usual standards. I'm not a sparkle-hater so I didn't mind that some things sparkled, and the HO scenes were fine, if a little easy.

There were a few things that got on my nerves after a while, though. It looks like I'm in the minority about the organ grinder's voice acting--what accent was that supposed to be? Michael Caine one minute, and next...um, an Australian pirate, I guess? Quite a head-scratcher. Of course since it was a made-up character I shouldn't expect accuracy, but I still ended up skipping him whenever I possibly could, mostly because he read so slowly. His actual voice was kind of cool, but he still got on my nerves.

As somebody else noticed, the costumes were a little weird too--quite the hodgepodge of different centuries. But again, we're dealing with a fantasy world, so I shouldn't be too big of a stickler.

One thing that I was kind of annoyed about--twice the game crashed when I skipped the guy's reading of a card and picked up an object from the scene immediately afterward. I solved the problem on the third go by picking the object up real quick first and THEN skipping the reading.

Overall, I had fun playing the game. No trouble navigating, lots of minigames, and the bonus content was hefty enough to make the CE a buy for me. I'd give this one three and a half out of five.

Edited on 02/17/2013 at 11:12:28 PM PST

NatalyWho
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by NatalyWho on Feb 18, 13 5:04 AM
Wow! Really nice!!!

[Post New]by HaroldPutter on Feb 18, 13 7:21 AM
Great story, beautiful graphics, HOG's and the mini-games are innovative without being brain-numbing, earn achievements ... no glitches. This is a buy for me.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 18, 13 11:23 PM
As a fan of the developer and after reading all the great reviews, I thought I would try it. I then went back out of the game to check that the game was correct and I hadn't downloaded the wrong game, but sure enough it was right...however I am not here to rave about the game, quite the opposite. I thought the game was lame. The way the introduction is put together pretty much shows what you can expect and the quality of the game. For the start, I thought it will get better - it didn't.

How the game was presented, with the low level graphics, I thought it is the worse release and in fact, I'm surprised this is a new release.

A no buy for me.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 19, 13 2:09 AM
Frankly, I loved this game. The graphics on my system were outstanding. I suppose if you don't have a good quality gaming system, ya might not get the great graphics and beautiful scenes that I have just finished viewing. Played the game from start to finish, non-stop. Could not wait to see what was next. I mean seriously, who doesn't love Medusa in a church? Or for that matter, the greedy dragon. He was gorgeous. I loved the story line and I'm not new to Elephant Games, pretty much have them all, and I still loved this story. The map was awesome, very user friendly. Adored all the rhymes on the cards. I was actually thinking, who thinks up stuff like this? It was great!! By the time it was over, I was actually feeling sorry for the organ grinder. And when I happened upon the vampire, I was like, take your time, I'll go poke around somewhere else and be sure to finish the job!! The only thing I did not like was having to go so long with out the friggin screwdriver, which meant I had to remember where to go back and get the things I needed. No biggie, though, found it, did it, all good. Oh and I actually liked the ending. Very nicely done.

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Feb 19, 13 8:32 PM
Thanks to cbtx for the fabulous review! I purchased this and 9 sight unseen based on it.

Second, thanks to BF for the great BOGOF sale. I got this and then 9 for free! Yay!

Next - to the review. I had a great time playing this game. Graphics were great, hidden objects not too difficult to get out of the way (still find HOS boring) and interesting puzzles. Voice overs were really well done. The story line was understandable and I even paid attention to this one. Always like those jumping maps too! The bonus game was worth the extra $$ and wrapped the story up nicely. Hints worked great (always multi-tasking - I sometimes forget where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing in a game). I missed one morphing pet so I suppose I'll have to play it again sometime. Best of all, the graphics didn't make my computer sound like a jet engine.

You had me at "Elephant Games".

Edited on 02/19/2013 at 8:49:14 PM PST

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Feb 20, 13 3:39 AM
I thought the story was very refreshing and offered a uniqueness to it which was a plus. The VO's and graphics were possibly some of the best i have seen no doubt...but the areas to be explored were greatly reduced and this is becoming a trend. When you have a map incorporated into a game, the game is strategically designed with the map intended to be fully utilized. When you have a map telling you were to go and what to do..there is no need to expand places to explore because your jumping from location to location..not exploring. Seems all we are doing nowadays is jumping from point A to point B back to point A back to point B...if we were actually exploring that would quickly become obvious...but when you are basically playing a game that is similar to a kids paint by number paint set all you are doing is clicking on a map..clicking on a color flag and repeating the process of jumping from point A to B repetitively per the map. If you don't use the map there are not many areas to explore which is a drag because the game was not designed to be explored obviously given the map.

While i not only avoid CE's as i have found them seriously lacking for the double the price, i also avoid games with maps nowadays...there is no adventure no challenge or involvement of using brain cells to navigate and solve the game. For me, why bother to play a game or even pay for it if it doesn't offer any of that?

My two cents.....

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Feb 20, 13 1:53 PM
This was by far the better of the 2 games that I got in the bogo sale. The game was long and interesting. The bonus game was longer than most games lately and had a very interesting story line and game play. Hearing "The Raven" was a nice surprise. Excellent puzzles and I've never had a baby phoenix as a helper before. He was as cute as the other baby animals found through the story. Spent the better part of the day on this and Elephant Games provided yet another great game. Loved it.

HobGoblin2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by HobGoblin2 on Feb 22, 13 4:34 AM
Really cute game!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Feb 22, 13 7:40 AM
The game captured our attention, and we played it, it was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! we give it 5 out of 5 stars..................doug & lisa

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Feb 24, 13 11:00 AM
Wow! I was surprised to see so many comments under the technical issue blog. I had not one problem thru the whole game. I love, love Elephant games. The graphics are always top notch! Stroy is always great & they always have the map where you can click on & then it takes you right there!!! A HUGE help when so many diff scenes. Thanks so much for Elephant games...they beat ERS by miles!!!!!!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Feb 27, 13 1:35 PM
Fabulous graphics, music fits the story, and voice overs really work, Buy it! Plus you get an adorable baby Phoenix to help you "light" the way, cards to collect, lost pets to collect, and a beautifully drawn dragon whose voice perfectly fits his body. Just perfect, what else can you say?

Edited on 02/27/2013 at 2:04:35 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Mar 1, 13 11:54 PM
REVIEW (as usual) ON FINISHED GAME

I rate CEs and SEs so differently as the CE is double the price so I am not recommending this CE version of the game on length alone. If it was even 45mins longer I would. There are other considerations as well why this game isn’t working for me as a CE although I had fun in parts.

PLOT

It’s a junkpile plot – lot of things going on but never quite working in harmony with each other. The plot is a bit like detective quest – creatures are cursed and you have to uncurse each creature. There is a background story of girl wanting to rescue her father. I know I have an attention span of a gnat in games and like a lot going on but not in stories as you are never then fully invested in any of them if there are so many stories and widely varied creatures. I honestly thought this game felt more like an ERS game, in plot and in easiness of puzzles and the feel of the game. I realise this is one of the cotton candy fluff plots (no depth or substance to it) but it was all over the place.

GRAPHICS

There are inconsistencies. I know a lot of people work on games but some scenes look hand drawn and not that sharp and others look like ‘elephant’ trademark. The HOS also were so varied in type and look but no consistency in graphics. Some ultra sharp and clear others not but at least you can make out what each item is.

voiceovers - dreadful
(I'm Scottish, lived and grown up in the UK) Think mary poppins and you get the gist. The main menu argh - hated the voiceover.

12 list HOS

Always the same with elephant (thankfully) – no random click penalty, never repeat, no sparkles on HOS scenes in either advanced or hardcore. Here it’s all list type, some more interactive than others, mostly junk pile. They have done far better HOS in other games, in graphics and look. No tiny items or well blended in.

12 puzzle

I know most devs give ultra simple puzzles in the beginning and here it’s no exception with a literal 3 click and turn rings – it’s not even a rotating ring puzzle! I can’t even say varied hardness as there wasn’t a hard puzzle in them and at the most, for a HOPA only about 3 could be classed about medium hardness. If puzzles are unique enough or fun enough, I don’t care how hard or easy it is but if it’s one we have seen before then to make it interesting it has to be at least medium hardness – a puzzle I can sit down with and take more than 1-2 minutes to do. A couple were fun though.

TBC

Edited on 03/02/2013 at 12:04:51 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Mar 1, 13 11:55 PM
continued

The easiness is more pronounced as gameplay wasn’t hard, or that unique (mostly but it did have moments) and as usual they have black bar tips on hardcore. I have grown accustomed to it and don’t look at top of screen but it’s the map tips that are very obvious. I’m now fed up with saying I’d love if map tips could be turned on and off like another DEV, as if I’m in a lazy mood I’m sure I’d want them a couple of times. I do try not to use the transporter map but as I hate backtracking like poison, which this game had a lot of; especially near the end I used the map (BTW there is a lot more active locations than the map shows).

EXTRAS

Only 10 morphs (lost pets) and very obvious even sparkles on hardcore (seriously I’m not joking – they are so big to begin with I couldn’t believe the ‘sparkles’. ) 8 are in main game and 2 in bonus.

Lost pets is just a screenshot of the 10 morphs you get in the game (2 in bonus) it’s a bit more interesting than a medal in the achievements room but that’s all the area is, completely non interactive.

Cursed cards - I don’t understand as it’s just cards that you have to pick up in gameplay – very obvious not collectables.

Bestiary is 9 jigsaw puzzles of the main baddies in the game (at least that had different shapes and is a bit different but with bad collectables, it’s the only real extra in the game which isn’t enough for me.)

Extra minigame you make limited music in a barrel organ – you get 3 discs which are 3 different sounding melodys on (one melody a disc) and 2 barrels which change the tone of it. Bit different but not as good as it sounds.

4 music, wallpaper, concept art,

BONUS play

3 hos
4 really simple puzzle
2 morphs are in bonus

The plot ending is 100% tied up in main game. The bonus plot they literally took the last scene in the main game and decided to suddenly change it and you help that character throughout the bonus. You didn’t need it at all, and I thought the ending in the SE was better so you didn’t need the added plot (or was that interesting) and * it ended up the same ending anyway in the CE. *About 2 scenes were brand new but quite a few scenes were changed so much to be nearly new and actually a couple of beautiful ones in it. It was about same quality as main game but it was just on the hour. One of their poorer bonus games I thought.

The main game took me 3hrs and 30 mins.
bonus another 1hr

Edited on 03/02/2013 at 4:51:07 PM PST

Etora
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by Etora on Mar 4, 13 10:48 AM
10 out of 10! - I have been a member for years and this game had all the elements that you would want in a game.
Just put me on the waiting list for the next edition! (I know you don't have one but I will buy it as soon as it came out)

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on May 16, 13 4:35 AM
This is an elephant game why is it in the right of passage bundle?

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jun 4, 13 2:56 PM
Wow this was a really good game... Love this dev their artwork and stories are always involved and the graphics are so clear.. I have had this game for awhile I dont know why I didnt play it sooner.

I am a slow player so the game lasted for hrs and hrs. and a super length on the bonus play.

Happy gaming

[Post New]by Joli123 on Jun 8, 13 9:14 PM
Where do you find all the magical animals?

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 13, 13 1:48 AM
This one I regret buying... it just seems so stale and done already. Don't get me wrong... the voice overs are amazing... the graphics are beautiful... and to be honest I didn't want to click play in the beginning because I was enjoying listening to the poem. But... the game play itself is just very cookie cutter. It doesn't make sense for one thing... like you find HALF of a pair of scissors in one place and then in another place totally unrelated to the first place you find the other half? HUH? I think this game maker has just gotten comfortable... they just write a story, hire a voice actor, and then plug in their same old tired game mechanics from all their other games.

Don't get me wrong... compared to lots of other games this one is beautiful... the graphics... voice over... but... as I said the mechanics are trite and over done. Also I'm playing on advanced but it still seems simplistic. And that's ok... just that the SG isn't needed so why pay for it? We'll see about the bonus play when I'm done... if I finish...

I'm sure I'm the lone voice of dissent... it just doesn't live up to it's potential. I wish the actual game play portion was more engaging and logical to the storyline. It's almost like they just... insert cut scene... oh we need a hidden object scene so toss that in... now we need to keep the player busy so add in a bunch of half parts of things to find and collect to use somewhere else... oh they need to remove some nails but we won't let them use the hammer we'll make them find a crowbar (which they call a nail puller LOL)... at least they did make the hammer the kind not appropriate to nail pulling but we're talking about removing some old boards so really a pop on the other side with the hammer would have worked... and it goes on like that... just... boring. I wish they would put more effort into the actual game play.

Just something for someone to consider who is debating the CE vs. SE... I wish I would have waited and picked this one up with a freebie credit or a $2.99 sale. It's still beautiful and listening to the storyteller is worth the price of admission... just not worth the CE price I don't think.

Still a solid 4 stars... but I don't think it deserves the 5 star rating it has. I think that is based on name and "pretty".

PS: Dogs don't pant while they're eating...
PPS: Dear Devs... if you're thinking who cares she still bought it... yes but next time I probably won't.

Edited on 06/13/2013 at 2:33:49 AM PST

Go to: