NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Mar 17, 13 1:46 PM
Great game with lots of ice and snow, cute companions (the crow, and in the bonus an ''ice dog'') plus it has skeleton zombies; how fun is that!

The HO scenes were crystal clear, beautiful art, and interactive. Fun minigames/puzzles, none of them too hard.

The trophy room was done beautifully; loved the sunset when getting every achievement.

And the ghostly lady was really creepy.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Mar 23, 13 12:28 AM
A super fun, spooky game. Great graphics! Lots of hidden object scenes above the usual! Some easy and some very hard mini-games, Needed help from our great folks in the forum. A great way to spend a lazy day

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 25, 13 9:31 AM
GAME COMPLETED TWICE

Seems Hel Is Freezing Over After All

Forgive me I couldn’t resist. How about:

Interesting, Engrossing, & Beautiful

Story: You’ve just crash-landed near the village of Erlenbourg, where a ghostly figure has been stealing souls. Follow the trail of the mysterious woman in white and discover the secret behind her terrible task!

Developer: Elephant Games
Release Date: Feb 2013
Bling!: Book of Fire, Hamlet

I loved the opening video to this game, but I’m blowed if I understand its relevance to the story that follows. The story was handled particularly well, I thought. Not just dialogue, but also video, notes and narration from the ‘respected Raven’ Hamlet, spread out well throughout the game. Never boring, even on my second playing. I like what this series does with slightly exotic legends, adding a little credibility to the story through recognisable bad guys.

Everyone else has told you how beautiful this game certainly is, its graphics, cutscenes and sound content are all first class. Have just finished my second playing, and I’m as thrilled as the first. And tired – this is a long game. There weren’t so many locations, but there was a lot to do in each, with plenty of interactive HOs and new, intriguing but not overly difficult puzzles.

Some of what makes this game special is the Book Of Fire. Not only is it an invaluable weapon against this icy goddess, it comes with a new type of mini-game that is excellent fun. I hope to see more of it. The game also has few of the usual clichés – I’m not sure, but I think there was only code to collect.

Although it has no journal, it’s not missed, and the interactive jump map will get you where you need to go.

Bonus Content Review

Bonus game play was short (about 25% of the main game), included 4 new locations and 7 old ones (but they were all radically altered). The story itself is a little odd, more fanciful than the main game, but fun anyway. I’m glad I bought the CE.

The other extras included are:

Strategy Guide – very good. I didn’t use it often, but to push for all the achievements, I used it instead of Hint.

Achievements – The usual

Collectible Goblins – Not easy to find, 22 in all, one per scene. Last page of SG will give locations.

Wallpaper (excellent), Screensaver, Concept Art, Music

I recommend this as a CE game!

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 4, 13 3:24 PM
Well, aside the things that have already been mentioned, i.e. achievements, extras, bonus chapter, etc. I don't usually play a game using the hint button to tell me where to go next, or what to do. The map, while it was nice to be able to jump locations, highlighted the area's where you could perform actions. However, just because it was highlighted, did not necessarily mean that it was the next thing you had to do. I enjoy games that have a logical progression, so I don't have to refer to the SG, or the hint buttons, but there just wasn't any logic in this game. You're jumping here and there, and even though you have what you think you need, something else is in the way. Just not fun when you spend more time reading the SG to figure out what little item you missed along the way to get where you need to go. I've played many games where I never needed the SG or the hint button, but my head hurts after finishing this game. Another complaint that I have is regarding the achievements. Normally, you can move your mouse over the area and see what the achievements are, but not in this game. Just big ole chunks of ice.

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Apr 14, 13 1:33 PM
Fine game with large bonus chapter. What's not to like?

Elephant is doing fine work as far as I'm concerned.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 29, 13 3:52 PM
Review based upon finishing the game and bonus chapter with all achievements.

This is the third Hallowed Legends game. And this time we really have a Hallowed Legend in the game: Hel, Norse Goddess of Death, who isn't actually that bad once you get to know her... but somebody found a Viking ship in a glacier, which led to all sorts of evil stuff happening and the world freezing over. Enter the player to save the world from very high heating and electricity bills.

The Good:

+ great graphics and very well done cutscenes
+ seamless integration of real actors
+ interactive map that shows you where there is something to do and lets you jump there
+ achievements (finally no difference for the modes of difficulty)
+ mostly clear HO scenes
+ story told through a raven was a nice touch
+ Book of Fire searches, way more lenient than Escape from Ravenhearst

The Neutral:

o sometimes the map shows you locations with something to do while there really is not

The Bad:

- all characters do not move their lips while talking - you would expect that CEs provide that by now

Bonus Content: The Bonus chapter took me about an hour to complete. Hel did not make it back to her world so the ice is still there. You have to fix that situation. The usual extras consists of 4 music pieces, wallpapers and concept art.

Bottom Line: This part really steps up the technical side of things and provides a really nice story that includes a major player of Norse mythology. However, since the regular game has a satisfying ending I wouldn't hold it against you if you just take the regular edition.

Edited on 05/30/2013 at 11:05:48 AM PST

s_sgs
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition

[Post New]by s_sgs on Jul 2, 13 10:40 PM
NO BONES ABOUT IT! REFRESHING, UNIQUE, FUN,
COMPLETED GAME, 2nd (Advanced) of 3 modes), black bar hints, no sparkles.

Grabs from the first scene when an old man sitting by a toasty fire discovers more dust mites in his book. The actual action takes plan in a town of Zombies with a Museum housing the magnificent find of a ship made entirely of bones.

This game is not dark or dreary --unique artwork, bright, crisp graphics, iHOS, Puzzle, all harmonized maintaining an ambiance of mystery, intrigue, with light humor and a splash of the creepy.

--------------------
STORYLINE: Engaging tale doled out bit by bit. Object is figure out the Zombie problem caused by an amazing discovery that was released to the public before its time.

ARTWORK, DESIGN, GRAPHICS: It felt a bit like H.R. Giger (created the original ALIEN) meets the ice capades. The creatures are very cool without being gruesome or dark. The ice dog with porcupine style icicles is a winner. A lot to do each location, few "pass-through", use once scenes.

TOOLS:
--JUMP MAP: YES.
--SASSY SIDE-KICK: YES. Learned Raven, reaches things and cracks wise.
--FIRE BOOK: Gimmick, once charged, allows passage through cursed areas. supernatural help is needed to pass through cursed areas.

COLLECTIBLES/ACHIEVEMENTS: 22 Goblins and a lot of pop-ups announcing achievements.

IHOS: List style with light interaction-feed a mouse to get a "sated mouse", stack Russian dolls, move curtain to reveal, etc.Scenes were typically visit once, lovely and detail rich.

MINI-GAMES: Beautifully designed and integrated into theme-piece together a photo or arrange tiles to make a picture to some new ones which would be tough to describe. I try to avoid skipping, but did this time.

ADVENTURE: Lots areas to explore, items to collect, and some cool things to construct. I had to double back a couple of times for missed items.
-----
I APPRECIATE THE ORIGINALITY, INCREDIBLE GRAPHICS, ARTWORK, AND DESIGN, AND SHEER FUN-FACTOR.

HEARTY THUMBS UP!

Go to: