bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:Reviews for PuppetShow: Destiny Undone Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 2, 13 3:24 AM
I waited for a sale to try this one. I own the others. I bought something else the last sale so now I have tried it. That Fan is more annoying than ever with it's constantly opening and closing. It can be locked open but then it hides part of the scene much more than a traditional inventory ever has.

The addition of a mechanical spider helper is also annoying and furthermore, why did I need to make it a hat? I have not enjoyed these "cute" helpers in games since they first appeared. Why do Devs think we need a cute helper?

I also found the movement jerky but that may be a tech issue. I have had this problem for a while now in some games and did not purchase another Dev's game because of it. This is probably a problem at my end but I have no idea what is causing it. I have several games that play fine.

I have enjoyed the Puppet series until now but this edition just seems to have more annoyances than enjoyment (particularly the inventory). So, it is, sadly, a No Buy for me this time.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 2, 13 9:19 AM
we love the PuppetShow series, and we give it a 4 out of 5 stars. GREAT game. sorry to hear it is ending........

tomboy4
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by tomboy4 on Apr 4, 13 9:14 PM
My helper puppet, who I enjoyed, didn't say anything???

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Apr 5, 13 9:38 AM
I've always enjoyed the PuppetShow games, but find them...odd. It has taken several sittings to finish this just because it gets overwhelming after awhile. Very clear, amazing graphics and annimations and the voice overs weren't as annoying as other games I've played. I really disliked the little "helper" (what a whimpy looking thing) and I never bothered with the foolish hat pattern stuff after the first one when I realized they had nothing to do with the game. I guess for those who like to play at decorating hats will like it. As usual, there are a lot of non-game things to collect etc.

Plenty of IHOS, so HOS haters beware. However, they are simple and go quickly so they don't bog down the game. Mini games can be tedious and I don't have a lot of patience with them...some of these were even a bit confusing. The skip does load quickly though and you can move along as does the hint.

The map is a transporter map, but I don't understand why it needs to ask if you really want to go there instead of just taking you there. I did find if you don't complete a task, the map seems to get confused. Had to use the SG once when the hint just kept sending me back and forth..finally realized I had not put a piece in a mini game to start it...that was frustrating. Why it didn't take me back to the mini game I don't know.

Bonus game was a continuation but had a really stupid non-committal ending that didn't even make sense....so an SE without this would work just fine.

Basically I would give this game a 4- out of 5 as The ending works, but you can tell there is probably more. I did enjoy the game despite some confusion but found it could be tiring.

Memonk
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Memonk on Apr 5, 13 1:35 PM
nomatt wrote:Sorry sas, I've come to bash.
We found it exactly the same as the other Puppet games, beautifully done but very predictable. You want something, there it is. No challenge and with very easy puzzles. Sorry but no buy for me.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Apr 6, 13 7:12 PM
Well, once again another ERS game...that I loved!!! I love the Puppetshow series! The graphics are the best & I just love that little machine puppet. I enjoyed switching up the hats I made for him too! Some people didnt like it iread but i thought it was a cute touch. This game does not disappoint!

kloanne
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by kloanne on Apr 7, 13 8:56 AM
The best by far of a series I have truly enjoyed! Hats off to the creators of Puppet Show! Gorgeous graphics, fun puzzles, everything I have come to love of this series taken to the next level. I will definitely play it again, and would even if I hadn't missed one puppet and one hat!

j20as8
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by j20as8 on Apr 10, 13 10:38 AM
Alright, this is my first ever review, of sorts, and there will be some spoilers! Now, having said that, I'll get right to it!

This, in my opinion, was one of the better PuppetShow games, the HOG scenes were plentiful, and while I didn't do all of the mini games, most were fun. The meat and potatoes of the game though, for me, is the storyline, and where it went from the last games. I've played PuppetShow since it started, I know all about how wicked Felicia is in the first few installments, and I know how hard she worked to undo her past and not be scarred forever. However, every time she has tried to do that, it's only successful for a short while, as Cricks is always out to get her and her father, and now finally, she has realized that some things cannot be undone. I personally like Felicia, at least at this point, and have always found her beautiful, even with the scar. I'm also sad to see her go, but from what I've heard on the forum, that is the impression I get, that she and her father won't be in further installments. And I do believe there will be further installments!

Now, with the end of this game, I'm beginning to wonder where we will go with Cricks. I was bothered that we never found out what the master and Gabriella Rossi fought about, and there was a part of me that wondered if she truly died, but all indicators seem to point to yes. I think she's shown a little too prominently too, as she's a relatively small character in this one. I also noticed that in this one, the puppets had much more minds of their own, they could pick a side, so I'm wondering if the next one, it will be revenge of the puppets, which actually would be a lot of fun to see!

Either way, this was a fun game, lots of places to explore, lots of good HOG and mini games, and the possibility for future episodes. The ending was a bit confusing but not at all surprising, villains are always hard to get rid of! I'm glad I bought it though and give it two thumbs up.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 13, 13 3:00 AM
After completed the entire game I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I played in casual mode, just having fun. I'm don't particularly like inventory being kept in a fan, but it wasn't bothersome either. I do wish, however, that the journal wasn't so close to the hint button and scrolled up. I liked the story line and I really liked making all those little hats for my little mechanical helper. It was different. The puzzles were also great, no friggin slider puzzles, YAY! I liked the collectibles, those were fun and the extra's for the CE included the bonus play, wallpaper, concept art, screensavers, hidden objects, mini-games, cut scenes, music, and calendars! Had no problem fitting my w/s, although, I did turn the music almost completely off. Other than that I thought it was a beautiful game to play. If you're not a fan, or don't like the other games in the series, then I don't recommend playing this one. However, I enjoyed them all and am a fan!!

123train
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by 123train on Apr 21, 13 1:31 AM
I think this game is absolutely fabulous - Love everything about it !

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Apr 25, 13 5:28 PM
I think this is the best of the PuppetShow games by far. I liked the first one and the next two were okay but this one is the best in my opinion. I think it was a great way to end the series. I wasn't going to get it but when they had the ERS sale I knew it was a buy and am so glad I did buy it and enjoy it.

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on Apr 25, 13 9:47 PM
Yes, another enjoyable Puppet Show in the series - I hope they never change this winning formula which has become such a nice change from the current norm - well done yet again. Clever, detailed, intriguing and always beautiful to look at - plus, I love to hear the puppet show theme music again, with any variations!

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Apr 26, 13 7:37 AM
I thought the graphics were not the best in comparison to ERS's other games. The story was cute and couldn't help but laugh at the puppet constantly jumping outside the window trying to get back in the house
Didn't care much for the voices used..i almost dreaded everytime a dialog would pop up because they were just annoying...but this is a common for ERS and their voice selections. No biggie just a preference thing on my end
Like others, i didn't care for the fan wheel..it would be nice and maybe not soo frustrating if it popped up and displayed your inventory when you ran your mouse across it
I liked the fact that there didn't seem to be soo many HOS's back to back that i have seen in the past with ERS. I like them but sometimes too much is too much and it got to where it was a turn off
Didn't even note collectables or achievements because for me they are just a distraction that just doesn't interest me or add to the gameplay.
It's a good SE game for a rainy day when you don't want much challenge and a good story combined in one. I have those days so this one will be a keeper as a SE for my rainy day collection list to play

Demo Download time: 2.5 minutes
Browser: Explorer
Window7/64
Comcast Broadband internet
USA Customer (Indiana region)

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on May 20, 13 8:01 PM
SPOILER ALERT!

PuppetShow was the first ERS game I ever purchased and I've bought and played all the sequels. The music, artwork and animations were well done, but I must admit that this one leaves me a bit cold. I thought the last game would be the "Final Chapter" and I really liked the time travel aspect of it and the fact that Felicia never got burnt up in the fire and had a happy life with her father. Now in this game--with no explanation we find ourselves back in time with Cricks having another plan for revenge. I was a bit upset that the authors felt compelled to maim Felicia again, couldn't we have just had a happy ending. I love the atmosphere and Steampunk Influences, certainly we could have gone in a different direction where Felicia doesn't get mutilated for life. Open letter to ERS writers, can we have another game with a happy ending this time? Can't Felicia grow up, get married to a nice guy and live happily ever after finally and not turn into a homicidal maniac again?

If you like the series definitely buy the CE, the story is incomplete without it. This is the trend with ERS these days, no complete story unless you buy the CE. Other studios have a definitive ending in their SEs and have either a new story or prequel in the Bonus chapter.

Edited on 05/20/2013 at 8:04:10 PM PST

[Post New]by IamaGameJunkie on May 25, 13 5:04 AM
Originally posted in the latest Redemption Cemetery: Salvation of the Lost CE Review Section....

Been an ERS fan since their first game until about 6 months ago. Always had wide screen/sharp graphics when that seemed to be the opposite of most reviewers. Unfortunately, sequels aren't sequels anymore, now they are just open ended games. Not just this title, but also Puppetville. Played demos on both....was surprised to see this game (RC: Salvation of the Lost) has only 63 very short half pages for a strategy guide including the bonus!
This and the latest Puppetville are a no buy for me, even though I have all the previous games in the respective series....just getting tired of the same ole cemetery and puppet spiders. Bought the previous titles of both because I THOUGHT it was about time for both to end and didn't want to miss out.

I'm buying the latest Isabella because it says the trilogy ENDS with the latest title. Thank you for including that in the game description! That's a first! Trilogies...OK.....and so are games like "Dark Parables", "Secrets of the Dark", etc. "Secrets" is a good example of a complete game with an ending, but it continues on in a different location/similar story... but it ends!
It's the never ending (no longer compelling) story lines that go nowhere that are getting to me. This is the first time I've written anything negative about ERS, because this M.O. has finally gotten to me.
Glad 2 people posted the bonus portion info (basically the same).....I don't usually highlight spoiler alerts, but this time I did, and have to give a shout out to the person for going indepth and glad I read it. That sealed the deal for me....sounds like another one in this series is all ready for release. If I do end up buying.....it will be the SE so I can end the series.... Oh well, sometimes all good things have to come to an end. But when?!?!?!

lovintnt
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by lovintnt on May 25, 13 9:29 AM
I have loved the series - until now. This game was very disappointing. It lacked the creativity of the earlier editions and just kind of plodded along. The interface was jerky, the story underdeveloped, and the HOS clues were often so obscure as to make them inaccurate.

I bought this game on faith, based on my earlier experiences. ERS has done themselves a disservice, as now I will be much more hesitant to assume that a series that starts off well will continue and improve as it progresses. My advice is to pass on this one. Ask someone for the story wrap up if you need closure, but don't waste your money.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 2, 13 3:37 PM
Well, I finished.
Lately I find myself growing seriously tired of most of the newer games. I guess the thrill is gone for me! I find most games, and this one is one of them, to be so predictable they start to blur. Once in a great while something will come along that makes my toes tingle and I get that "wow", this is fresh feeling.
But not with this game. Yes, the artwork is great. The puzzles were good. The characters were the same ones we've met before, pretty good. But.........it just didn't feel like a "great" game. One you want to play over and over.
Out of 10 I would give this a 6.
Maybe I should switch genres for awhile, like try pure adventure or large file?

Go to: