Re:IT’S ALWAYS GOOD TO KNOW!

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Mar 28, 13 8:38 PM
hi, ERS
i'm glad to see you are here and hopefully listening to criticisms as well as praise.

i must tell you that i have not bought any of your games for a while because they are all the same and the puzzles are WAY too easy. i love games with puzzles of different difficulties. it's OK if some puzzles are easier for those fishies who don't care for puzzles, but those of us who like HARD puzzles should be given some of those, too! the people who like the easy ones have the option to *skip* the hard ones, thereby keeping all of us happy! isn't that what the *skip* is for?

i also agree with the fishies who have stated that they prefer the complete ending in the SE version. this is another reason that i have refused to purchase your games because i don't like being "forced" to buy the CE to get the true end of the game, so i refuse to buy the SE,too.
you told me in an email that i sent you that you don't do this, but i DID buy a CE a while back and the end WAS in the bonus chapter, so i know it is true!

i did the hour trial of this game on the hardest mode and was glad to see that there were no black bar tips, but still, it was just click, click, click. no think. at all. easy peasy. i do not LIKE easy peasy. i want to think, to use my brains to figure things out!

and, as for azada, since you're here and listening... i hated that you turned it into just another HOPA. i LOVE puzzles! i love *challenging* puzzles... and azada had them!
if you had not called that [very EASY] game "azada", i would not have been so upset.
so, why don't you come up with something NEW, as others have suggested?
why don't you come up with a pure puzzle game for those of us who LOVE puzzles?
why don't you come up with another adventure/puzzle game like penumbra motel? i really LIKED that game!

oh, and BTW, i also hate the fan on the side for the inventory. i kept hovering my cursor down at the bottom to pick up the frying pan to... never mind, spoiler... and thought "[sigh], i have to click 'tools' to get the frying pan..."

i AM glad you added a map, although i really see no reason for one since this game is SO linear (like, only 5 places we could go within a chapter and then the chapter is closed!), but WHY must we click "yes, i REALLY WANT TO GO THERE"???
that almost kinda defeats the purpose of a jump map, which is to *streamline* the movement within the game.

so, i agree with twinsoniclab and lackoo.
i'm done with buying from you, at least until you change some of the above. i have ALL the other puppetshow games, but have not played the 4th one yet... and may not, sadly, even though I bought it. I have fallen completely out of love with you, ERS. I no longer worship at your altar like other fishies do. and, it makes me sad.
I will keep doing trials, though, in hopes of better, more challenging games.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Mar 28, 13 9:00 PM
I would like to offer some constructive criticism if I may...

I have bought a couple of your SE games lately but every time I play one, I am left with the same feeling. I feel cheated by the fact they have no ending, they are totally easy even in the hard mode and it is always the same layout, some even feel like the same game. For the first 3 h0 scenes, its silhouettes, then its lists for another 3, then goes back to silhouettes and wraps up with lists. I like when games surprise me and make me remember why I loved them so much in the first place. The graphics are always superb, no doubt about it but good graphics don't make a great game.

My biggest gripe is that there are NO new ideas. All of the games you guys release for the most part except your small run of adventure games are SEQUELS. When I was new to hidden object games, I loved puppet show and edgar allen poe and redemption cemetery but those are old games in my opinion. I purchased them back in 2009/2010 so when I see another sequel to an outdated game it doesn't thrill me. Its going to be the same thing I've seen a million other times because its the same game over and over and over. I WANT ERS to make NEW games with NEW plot lines that are innovative and fun and are not just the same layout over and over again. The cookie cutter mold might work for some people but it doesn't work for me when you are trying to release so many games at once. I know there are die hard fans of yours and thats great BUT where is the creativity? why the same old tired games? why not introduce your fans to some newly thought up creatively enhanced games!!

Someone was mentioning how another developer releases a lot of games too. Well if you notice, the difference between that and your games is the ones they release are NEW PLOT LINES, not sequel after sequel after sequel.

So, after finishing Edgar Allen Poe-The Gold Bug SE, I decided that I am not supporting you anymore until you start releasing some ORIGINAL plot lines with new scenery in different places with NEW musical tracks and improved hidden object scenes because when I buy a game, i want it to WOW me not make me wish I could give it back.

I bought reality show and I really enjoyed it because it WAS DIFFERENT, NEW storyline for once and adventure game not the same game with 20 sequels. I want to love your games again but for right now I will try but not buy until I see something new and nothing about this game is new. Im sorry but its the truth.

Edited on 03/28/2013 at 9:02:07 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 28, 13 11:57 PM
With about 5 minutes until the new TGT, I would say that ERS' appearance in the forums would have to be called a "brief cameo appearance" at best.
-----or maybe it just got too hot in the forum kitchen. LOL

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Mar 29, 13 12:27 AM
Well I for one enjoy ERS games. I have the entire Puppet series and liked every one of them...even if there were 5. I like their music compositions and their graphics.
I have never had an issue with wide screen nor do I get black bars or even decorated ones with ERS games. The puzzles may not be mind numbing but I find them entertaining anyway. The new map is a nice touch. Collectibles are cool too. The side fan appears to be how they choose to present their inventory and I just take it in stride. The characters and voice overs in their games are very well done. I guess I don't have any complaints or issues worth mentioning.

BFGMCFFAN
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

[Post New]by BFGMCFFAN on Mar 29, 13 1:20 AM
I loved the Puppet Show game. Ers listened to their fans on facebook.

- There was a map in the game.
- There was a Puppet Collection and the hat's for our puppet helper.
- There were many Extras.
- The game is as great as the other four in the series. I loved the ending. And I'm dying to know what the new story will be.

And I played the BETA of Reveries: Sisterly Love recently and there are Achievements in the game. And there are new types of HOS in the game.

A while in 2012 I thought Ers is stopping do make new things into their games. Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Cursed Wedding CE was a very bad game. But now I think, that they are back! Better than ever before.

Keep up the good work and collect ideas for more things into your games. Don't stop it. In Dark Tales 5 BETA for example I loved the balance of justice. And there were Trophys in the game. A great idea for a great game. I also played Redemption Cemetery 4: BETA I liked this game too. The Raven has a few elements for doing something and the locations are different to the other games in the series again.

I have all your games in CE version and I'll not stop buying them if you continue what I said before.

PS: And don't stop to show new artwork on facebook. And thank you for the new Dark Alleys 2 Concept Art for me!

Edited on 03/29/2013 at 1:33:17 AM PST

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Mar 29, 13 1:39 AM
cbtx wrote:With about 5 minutes until the new TGT, I would say that ERS' appearance in the forums would have to be called a "brief cameo appearance" at best.
-----or maybe it just got too hot in the forum kitchen. LOL

i agree.
i hope they will make another appearance and let those of us who no longer are in awe know that they are, indeed, listening to us.

two posts on the first page don't count for much in my book, especially after "blam games" also posted a comments thread on "european mystery: scent of desire" and responded to almost each and every poster.

i'll be watching this thread (and upcoming games!) to see how ERS does with listening to us.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Mar 29, 13 1:45 AM
oh, and i forgot one more thing, ERS

i'm *really* not into dressing up our little puppet-headed spider (HATE SPIDERS) thing with hats and whatnot. just silly.

in fact, i don't much care for him at all since he seems to be bipolar: either big, stupid smile or looking like the world has ended.

glad we could name him though... but i can't repeat here the name i gave him. sure made me feel better though, and put a nice smile on my face every time i dispatched him to do my bidding!

[Post New]by ERSGameStudios on Mar 29, 13 2:10 AM
emmyjayne wrote:I'll be totally honest - I used to love ERS games but recently the games are all too much the same. They've become boring and many people have mentioned this in the forums. Nothing new, no innovation. Also, why do you guys make everything spin/sparkle/flash/flame/pulse - like the huge cursors, diary, hint button, etc.? It's very annoying to see that in my peripheral vision. You guys have a lot of talent and potential - so let's see it!

First of all we'd like to thank you emmyjayne for being honest. We will also take your suggestions into account. We'd like you to know that since in us, you've noticed that existing potential to improve as always we'll be willing to prove that. Stay with us to see that.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 29, 13 2:52 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:

Wide screen - it has been proved that it's a computer problem.

I've never seen anything in the forums that states it's a computer problem. As far as I'm aware, at no time has it ever been proved. And it's not true anyway.

ERS still make their games in 4:3 aspect ratio, which is why many of us don't get full screen coverage. Technically a computer could be blamed for not having a graphics card that can adjust a game to fit a widescreen monitor; I am happy to concede that point. But most of the top developers now make their games in 16:9 aspect ratio; it is down to the programming of ERS games, not a computer problem.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 29, 13 4:16 AM
angel, I am not big comp tech, but read here (the whole thread):

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/239334.page#5053578

I believe that it solves the problem...

WE ARE HERE TO STAY WITH YOU FISHIES!

[Post New]by ERSGameStudios on Mar 29, 13 8:56 AM

Thus, we’d like to thank you all for both your positive and negative posts.
We believe in you and your intentions as being deeply sincere and thoroughly constructive .
We produce games and the reason we ‘re doing this, is to bring a laughter to your face and plenty of joy to your home.
We agree with you that we should always and constantly be improving and that is exactly what we are aiming for.
However production of a game takes something more than a year and implementing changes possibly couldn’t be happening overnight.
Below we have listed some of the stuff that seem to be your main focus of concern :
_ Wide screen (?)
So for those of you who were asking about facing some difficulties regarding “Wide Screen” the good news is that starting from next month all of the fishies, would be enjoying our games more with full wide screen.
Meanwhile you can enjoy the sidebar decorations that we’ve replaced the black sidebars with.
_ Quantity over quality (?)
High production when handled carefully doesn’t necessarily interfere with quality.
Yes, we do produce more games but quality has and will always remain one of our priorities.
Thus we will keep relying on our belief to be on the road of creativity and capability. Producing and improving both require plenty of time. We always have and still are planning to invest all that it takes to keep making games that will ACE!
That’s why we are here and we will stay here, not on the side road of course, but together with you on the road of getting better by the end of the day, listening to all you have to say.
_ Puzzles being too easy (?)
For those of you who are professional players this or that puzzle could obviously seem too easy. The longer you’ve been among the fishies the better and faster you’ll swim. That is inevitable! However we do have a lot of players who actually enjoy playing what others may find too easy and we are not planning to hurt their feelings. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and we will keep doing our best to please as many fishies as we can but obviously we can’t please everyone. Still, each fish should be able to enjoy a good swim while trying the waters. Don’t you agree?
_The bonus chapter being too short(?)
With our new releases you’ll be seeing a longer bonus chapter. That’s another good news for those of you who are willing to play EVER LONGER THAN BEFORE!
_Tired of sequels (?)
You see we have very different game sequels with different theme shades and span of interests and we haven’t reached the final end either. We are constantly adding new entities too. Nevertheless it’s only natural of our players to expect their favorite game to turn into a sequel and keep going on. That’s not going to stop us from creating new games with new game themes.
Art style and music being boring (?)
That’s a matter of taste! That being said we do respect everyone’s taste and we do try to please everyone as much that is possible but the issue of taste would still be there. Not that we do not care or dare, NO! Basically we’re here to say how much we care for our players!
Speaking more about the music in details, another thing that we’d like to add is that usually to maintain the nostalgic essence of a sequel, we keep one of the old tracks while all the others are always new.
Forcing to buy the CE (?)
We are providing our players with both game versions. There is no forcing when there is always a chance for choosing.
However for those of you who think that the additional content of CE is not worth your money, we always release the SE just a short time after.
We’d like you to know that the story of the game gets fully revealed within the SE. Though the story of the CE is connected to the story of the SE as it is obviously required to be. Nevertheless it’s only additional and entirely optional.
As you see it’s a mere matter of choice!

We do hope that this would bridge our communication with all of the fishies regardless of our various types of tastes and all sorts of possible differences.
With much love,
ERS Game Studios

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 29, 13 9:29 AM
Hello ERS.

Excellent work on this game and many of your others. I do not know how to start programming anymore but I do understand what goes into producing a game. On the whole I am happy with your games. I always play on the hardest mode and appreciate the fact that there is no click penalty. (Not that I found yet anyway)

You have just made a long reply to some comments but PLEASE, PLEASE could you get rid of that fan for the inventory? It is cute but SO annoying.

Carry on the great work, you cannot please us all

ETA. I appreciate that you are dealing with the widescreen option. It has never bothered me. Sometimes it works on games sometimes not. The one thing I do not like is your decorated side bars, as it makes me want to look in there when we have a HOS. LOL!

Edited on 03/29/2013 at 9:32:26 AM PST

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Mar 29, 13 10:35 AM
Hi ERS ,
Thank you for reply in general to all the fishes who do not agree 100% with your games.
I'm not sure what you mean when you said you don't force to buy CE, instead of SE.
You said the story of the game is fully revealed within the SE.
IMO, this is not true in the last 2 Grim Facade, specially Sinister Obsession .
By this time, I was about to buy the SE, but then I read the comments recommending better to buy the CE, because of the abrupt, fast end. I read people's reviews which I respect, but now in this forum they say nothing about this issue .
The other games didn't have this problem; and you are right: is a matter of choice having the CE.
I'm talking with personal experience, I'm having more CE than SE, because I love the SG and the bonus chapter (which sometimes is too short, not only in your games also in others as well). But I guess most of the fishes can't afford to have all CEs (IMHO).
Thanks again to listen to us, and I'm sure you'll change things for better and WOW games !

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Mar 29, 13 11:37 AM
The way I read it, they do not plan to change their current focus in any substantial way.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 29, 13 11:59 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:angel, I am not big comp tech, but read here (the whole thread):

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/239334.page#5053578

I believe that it solves the problem...

Proof?----All of that is irrelevant when the game is not being programmed in true widescreen to begin with. ERS has kindly given us all the information we need in their last post. Since they have not been programming their games in true widescreen in the first place (as they point out), then we will not get true widescreen until they do program them for true widescreen----which, happily, will begin with their games beginning next month.
As they say in their post, production on that sort of thing takes time (several months), and, in the interim, we are seeing art work instead----but, beginning next month, they will program in true widescreen.

Thanks so much to ERS for carefully explaining this, and for the change!!!!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Mar 29, 13 12:11 PM
shorenuf wrote:The way I read it, they do not plan to change their current focus in any substantial way.

LOL, thank you! Good overview, as in your reviews.

LadyReah
Herring
Herring
372 Posts

[Post New]by LadyReah on Mar 29, 13 12:28 PM
I sincerely applaud you ERS for coming back into this thread, which has been mostly critical and trying to address everyone's concerns. You are completely right that you cannot please everyone. Everyone of us has our own personal gaming taste and what is acceptable to one player is a dealbreaker for another.

I think some of the problem seems to be that ERS doesn't offer enough variety on a couple of issues. While I personally love your artwork, some others possibly feel that it is getting tiresome. Especially when most of your games offer the same artwork.

For me, there doesn't seem to be too many ERS games that offer a challenge with the puzzles. It seems as if your puzzles have become significantly easier than those that were in your earlier games. In PuppetShow 5 there is a jigsaw puzzle that is only 6 pieces. I'm not trying to be offensive, but seriously my kids were doing those when they were in preschool.

I would love to see you put out games that were intended for those who want easy puzzles, but what about also putting out games for those who really would like a challenge?

Improved game mechanics and variety would be welcomed by most I think.

LadyReah

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 29, 13 12:46 PM
ERSGameStudios wrote:
Below we have listed some of the stuff that seem to be your main focus of concern :
_ Wide screen (?)
So for those of you who were asking about facing some difficulties regarding “Wide Screen” the good news is that starting from next month all of the fishies, would be enjoying our games more with full wide screen.
Meanwhile you can enjoy the sidebar decorations that we’ve replaced the black sidebars with.

I have no problems with those lovely-looking sidebars until you get the widescreen for all sorted out.

_ Puzzles being too easy (?)
For those of you who are professional players this or that puzzle could obviously seem too easy. The longer you’ve been among the fishies the better and faster you’ll swim. That is inevitable! However we do have a lot of players who actually enjoy playing what others may find too easy and we are not planning to hurt their feelings.

Thank you. If I wanted to solve difficult puzzles, I would buy games such as "Professor Layton". I see mini games/puzzles as part of advancing in the HOGs, just like the HOS. And nobody complains about HOS being too easy. I don't want the game being interrupted by difficult to crack puzzles that I have to skip all the time. These are HOGs, not Puzzle games, so the puzzles shouldn't be too difficult, but doable for as many gamers as possible.

And speaking of HOS: I would love to see more of your new HOS, those that start with silhouettes, and which are highly interactive. I really love those, and miss them when I don't see them in one of your games.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 29, 13 1:43 PM
Hello ERS,

Thank you so much for being here. I like your games but sometimes there are way too many hidden object scenes and the list of objects to find is too long and sometimes objects are small and hard to see. I like your creative hidden object scenes where you find one object in order to get another one.

I don't care for the hazy/ smoky look that lingers quite often in most of your games along with the faded colors in your graphics. I think brighter more colorful graphics is so much nicer IMO.

I like your puzzles a lot because even though they are simple they are fun and different from the standard boring puzzles that other DEVS put in their games.

I wish your games were longer. Please get rid of the inventory fan.

I do get your games in widescreen without the colorized side bars, but that is because my computer re scales the game to fit my screen.

Sometimes your games come across as same old same old, its hard to distinguish one from the other, but overall I think you guys do a great job and I will continue to buy your games.

Edited on 03/29/2013 at 3:04:54 PM PST

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Mar 29, 13 6:24 PM
I stopped by early this morning....read all the posts....negative/positive....O! the trails of life! ,,,Hey! ERS Game Studio person??? ...so welcome to the game forum...it is so nice to see that your company is interested in 'feedback'....

I am one of those that I would get a 'pinched nose' if I replied in my 'true mood' ...So this one is for U....I ERS games!

I do know that after the demo of this lastest PuppetShow...I am on edge to purchase it...way better than the others in the series! ...the graphics team is the 'cats meow' in all of the games

I would list all my fav's but too much to do at this moment...well at least I have some of your attention?...So

The one thing is the 'inventory fan'....not a fan (lol) of it but after several games played I just lock it....then if I need the complete picture on the screen I do the unlock...I know some will say thats to much work...but all IMO!

Thanks again for stopping by....Lets...

Go to: