bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 17, 13 1:14 PM
Ok...I give up...can't take this anymore. This game is all over the place and although it has a map with tasks at each place, it is not a transporter map and doesn't really give any clues. I have an inventory full of items and unless you have a fantastic memory, trying to remember where in all the spots on this map one of these goes, you end up with nothing but frustration. Go here for this item, oh dear, won't work without another item somewhere else on the other side of the yard, but where? The SG or the hint (which refreshes somewhat quickly) are the only options to get around in this convuluted game...got really tired of waiting for the hint to refresh so I could figure out where to go and what to do next. I can't even remember if this has any HOS or mini games....I'm otta here! Give this a 1.5 out of 5 and only because the graphics are pretty good. Might have been a good game if it worked more efficiently. For the life of me, I have no idea why I bought it.

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on May 23, 13 1:46 PM
Really enjoyed this game. I will say its more challenging than most games. I definitely play Advanced and sometimes expert and thought that the difficulty level of this game was a treat! It has a good storyline and graphics, music that does not overwhelm and a really great mix of puzzles and HOs. I didn't time it, but this game took me a long time to complete. More than one sitting and maybe over 8 hours. However, I did complete all puzzles but one on my own. Only drawback was bonus game which was short and mostly HOs. Would recommend to those who love a challenge.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 11:30 PM
This One’s For The Pros

BASED ON DEMO ONLY

Do you yearn for the good old days and Mystery Case Files’ UNSKIPPABLE PUZZLE BOARDS? Want to fly blind through a medley of electronic and mechanical mishaps to solve a mystery? Wage war against evil and remove ancient curses in a tropical jungle?

Then you’ve just found heaven.

I finished the demo in about 40 minutes, but half of that time was spent in the Strategy Guide, not the game. As well as the puzzle boards (2 in the demo), there were a few STANDARD PUZZLES, some within my reach, most of them not. There was also a lonely little HO.

The story is portrayed very dramatically from the start, strange shamanesque figures, Aztec (forgive me if it’s another culture) rituals and sacrifices.

Your boss is attacked by his client shortly after retrieving a map for him. John is convinced the map is cursed, and there certainly are some **** things happening.

Even the dog is behaving strangely. And the fridge, well, the fridge has developed a life of its own and has to be chained down.

The freakish storm overhead adds lightning, thunder and ominous portents to the atmosphere, and you gotta be feeling pretty spooked.

Three modes of play (I chose easy, huh!). You have an EXCELLENT HINT system, if you choose to use it, one click takes you through all the scenes to the next active zone. There is a MAP that shows where you’ve been but is not interactive and NO JUMP FEATURE.

There are COLLECTIBLE scorpions, which appear right out there as part of the scene and are therefore actually easier to miss. There’s also a TROPHY ROOM & ACHIEVEMENTS.

As above, PUZZLES are the focus of the game, but there is enough challenge in the adventure to warrant attention.

The atmosphere is foreboding, and the GRAPHICS complement that, being somewhat heavy handed. Music portentous as well.

BONUS CONTENT

BONUS CHAPTER, GALLERY, REPLAYABLE PUZZLES & HOs, MUSIC, SG.
I don’t know if I’ll end up buying this one, it’s a fair way out of my comfort zone, but I heartily recommend it to our EXPERT FISHIES. (and adventurous amateurs)

PS. The end of the demo is worth the hassle of downloading in itself. It really gives you an insight into whole game in a way no other demo has.PS. The end of the demo is worth the hassle of downloading in itself. It really gives you an insight into whole game in a way no other demo has.

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Jun 26, 13 7:31 AM
This is a decent enough game. Not top flight but still. It has a LOT of puzzles, I would have been happy with 2/3 the number, so if you're a puzzle fan enjoy. Quite long but bonus chapter is a little short compared to some others. Two issues for me were not a real story line that follows you thru the game and a map that doesn't take you to areas you chose.On a big game it is a definite convenience. Otherwise, no regrets purchasing it on sale and playing.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Jul 8, 13 1:37 AM
I don't understand how this game got positive reviews. The graphics are poor, the continuity dismal, and the first hour (per demo) slow as molasses. If ever a game needed a fast Hint button, this is it (no such luck). I found the whole production very outdated, very stuttery ("Loading" screen appeared every other minute, it seemed). The hints were of the ultra non-helpful variety. HOS too fill of junk. The crowning touch was a bizarre presentation of the supposedly native shaman (who rants about "puny humans"!) Ugh. This game seems determined to stick to the lowest common denominator. Not for me, at any price.

Go to: